Syncros Hardcore Headset Older Headsets

4.52/5 (25 Reviews)
Weight : 120g

• Dirt kills. So our custom CNC-machined 7075 T6 aluminum headset is sealed with an impact-resistant Snap-on Delrin® boot, super-slippery Teflon® piston ring and positive-contact O-ring to keep the dirt where it belongs. On somebody else’s face.
  • The meek shall be eaten. Don't become lunch meat. Which is why our double-sealed upper bearings and double-sealed bi-directional angular contact lower bearings can handle those abusive and jack-hammering descents.
  • No fretting, freezing or misalignment. Instead, Syncros' precision-machined cups deliver perfect bearing fit for a lifetime of silky smooth rides.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by tubulargnar a Cross Country Rider from Pittsfield, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2010

Strengths:    Solid and inexpensive

Weaknesses:    A wee heavy

Bottom Line:
    I got this to replace the cheap fsa headset that came with the $600 bike. I expected to replace little things like the headset at this price point. The syncros hc is definately strong and chnges the way the bike rides. It does seem to be an older model, doesn't have the dimples in the top cup and definately weighs more than 119g of the NEW hardore headset. I also recently upraded the fork to on-one carbon and now feel much more confident at speed and will hit those little drops and jumps I used to steer around. For the price, this is a smooth running, solid headset.

Favorite Trail:   Veda

Bike Setup:   Kona Unit rigid singlespeed.

Submitted by David Hakimi a Weekend Warrior from Denver

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2008

Strengths:    I've owned several of the original Canadian Syncros headsets, and they were incredibly awesome. Better designed, and better looking than Chris King. HOWEVER.... those were the original Canadian made units. I just bought one of the new Taiwanese made versions on Ebay, and I have to say that I was very disappointed. Poorer finish, poorer tolerances, and overall poorer quality. I didn't even bother to install it, and sent it back for a refund.

That being said... it was still probably an OK headset. Just not an incredibly awesome headset, like the original Canadian made ones. In its defense, it did still use Enduro Max sealed bearings. Enduro Max bearings, are just about the highest quality sealed bearings out there. Intense, Tomac and Santa Cruz use them exclusively on all of their full suspension frames.

Weaknesses:    Poor finish (compared to the original Canadian Syncros headsets), and somewhat sloppy tolerances. I say sloppy tolerances, because the bottom cup of this headset didn't feel nearly as smooth as it should of... with Enduro bearings. Also, it didn't seem to go together as easily as it should have.

Bottom Line:
    If you are looking for a headset in the $45 range, buy a Cane Creek S6 instead. Or... snatch it up, if you can find an original Canadian Syncros.

Favorite Trail:   Three Sisters Aldifer

Purchased At:   Bikewagon/ Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Cane Creek S6 (best headset around for the money), Chris King (nice, but over-rated and over-priced), Cane Creek Solos, Cane Creek S6 IS.
    Also, the original Canadian Syncros headset. Bad to the bone... if you can still find one somewhere.

Bike Setup:   Several high-end rigs, as I build custom bikes for a side business. Ventana El Chamuco, Intense Uzzi SL, Turner Burner, Santa Cruz Bullit, Rocky Mountain Edge, Marin Wildcat FRS, and a Raleigh Ram XL (surprisingly great bike).

Submitted by Pat from Oregon

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2003

Strengths:    Looks sweet, seals are fantastic. Oozes quality. Turns very smoothly.

Weaknesses:    Mine loosened repeatedly even though it was properly pressed into a new DH frame that was freshly and perfectly faced and lubed. I wasn't real keen on ovalizing the head tube on my new frame so I chucked the Syncros and put in an FSA Pig that has stayed tight with the same star nut and stem that was used for the Syncros. All the evidence points to the Syncros headset being the culprit. Also, I think the cups are dangerously short. They just don't sink deep enough into the frame to suit me, even for XC.

Bottom Line:
    Nice but cups are too short and mine kept loosening up. The price was so good that I still think it was worth it. I ended up putting it on my beater. Buy it, but don't pay more than $25 and don't ride it hard.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Pretty much every headset in existence. King, of course, is the best.

Bike Setup:   2001 Schwinn Straight 8.

Submitted by Saby R a Cross Country Rider from Halifax

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2003

Strengths:    Will perform the way it is intended to perform, bought it on sale for a good deal. have the Syncros legacy name.

Weaknesses:    I question the qualify of the sealing system.

Bottom Line:
    When I purchased my SID Race I had the opportunity to examine the bearing of the Headset to my surprise,the outher metal (bearing holder) was rusted??? I pamper my bike more than my wife (so to speak) and I don't understand how this could have heappned since I donc ride in Mud or rain, maybe it's the humide climate of the east coast... Maybe the outside bearing was not greased prorely...Nevertheless I will be spending more time maintaining this piece wich is a bit of a pleasure for me to wrench on my bike... Otherwise I am a big fan of Syncros pre-GT era...

Favorite Trail:   Fire trail

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   Diacomp crap...

Bike Setup:   Syncros post, stem,crank bolt, full XTR

Submitted by Greg a Cross Country Rider from Calgary, AB, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2003

Strengths:    Perfectly smooth, impervious to dirt, durable and looks great, what more could you want from a headset?

Weaknesses:    Only available in two colours??

Bottom Line:
    As I said it's smooth, dirtproof, strong and good looking. Plus it can be found for dirt cheap.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Bunch of lower end and OEM headsets

Bike Setup:   Trek STP, Full XTR except for the Truvativ Crankset, Thomson, Thomson, Marzocchi Bomber Atom 80.

Submitted by Kevin White a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2002

Strengths:    Super smooth, incredible tolerances.

Weaknesses:    No headset cap included

Bottom Line:
    Just as nice as they come, I saw it on sale and grabbed one cheap. Great deal at this price.

Purchased At:   airbomb.com

Submitted by Waspinator a Weekend Warrior from USA

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2001

Strengths:    -Even smoother than a Chris King
    -Keeps out dirt
    -Looks unique!

Weaknesses:    About 20 grams heavier than a King

Bottom Line:
    Great headset. I think it's even better than the Chris King. True, the bearings aren't serviceable, but bearings aren't particularly expensive to replace. More importantly, however, is that the seal on the Syncros bearing as well as the headset is better than the King. The King bearings, if memory serves, are sealed with a little metal ring. It's not actually "sealed". The Syncros uses a plastic, rubbery like ring that covers the insides of the cartridge much better. Also, when looking at a King headset, you'll notice that there are spaces where dirt and grit can (and does) enter....particularly between the crown race and lower bearing cup. Also on the King, there's a space between the bearing cap and the upper bearingcup where dirt and grit enters. Spaces like this are completely absent on the Syncros. The upper bearing cover on the Syncros headset drapes over the bearing cup, effectively sealing it off. On the lower half, the Delrin boot keeps things sealed completely. No need to use a Lizard Skins cover.

The only thing I think is better about the King headset (aside from the famous Chris King customer service) is the fact that both bearings have angular contacts, whereas on the Syncros, only the lower bearing has an angular contact. Unless, of course, Syncros felt that it was better without it on the upper bearing. Regardless, I'd say this headset is better than the King....and that says a lot.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Chris King

Bike Setup:   GT Avalanche

Submitted by Stefan a Cross Country Rider from Germany

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2001

Strengths:    just an update:
    in use since 1997, disassembled twice for lubing, function still PERFECT. i run it on a custom hardtail with a rock shox judy xc suspension fork. often in rough and wet european terrain, no complains or disadjustments. a real good piece of equipment (like all my other syncros components)

Weaknesses:    some more scratches on the finish ;-)

Bottom Line:
    i would purchase the Syncros Headset again, but i think it will never break ;-)

Favorite Trail:   rough CC

Similar Products Used:   king headseat

Bike Setup:   http://gallery.consumerreview.com/mtbr/gallery/files/bike_tres1.asp

Submitted by DiRT a Cross Country Rider from USA

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2000

Strengths:    Works. Hasn't failed

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
    It hasn't failed me. It's as smooth as my king. I've not found any problems with water in the lower crown...

I'll give it five because it is as good as my king.

Similar Products Used:   King, Diacompe, FSA

Bike Setup:   full susp, cross link carbon fork

Submitted by Brian Newbury a Cross Country Rider from South Side Bethlehem, PA

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2000

Strengths:    Bearings are bombproof
    oversize races
    its matte black

Weaknesses:    that damn plastic top cap sucks!

Bottom Line:
    If it weren't for that top cap this would be absolutely perfect. The oversized races distribute the load over more area, leading to longer life. I've ridden this for 3 years and have only adjusted it twice, its still as smooth as new. the top cap distorts, but it hasn't effected the performance of the headset (i've been riding it that way for a year). no biggie. an excellent headset for those wishing to stray from the King headset norm.

Favorite Trail:   The Elwood

Similar Products Used:   schwap headsets (tange, specialized, etc)

Bike Setup:   '97 ibis mojo

Submitted by dwayne a Weekend Warrior from st. clair shores

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2000

Strengths:    price, quality, looks, durability

Bottom Line:
    bought used from a dude who rides pretty hard and was holding up fine. Then I hit a pickup truck doing about 25 mph. The impact trashed a Marzocchi fork, bent a White ind hub, the brake rotor, and completely trashed the front wheel. The headset was undamaged. It is currently doing duty on my FSR with no problems at all. I will not consider buying another brand. Thanks Syncros for a excellent product. If I could, I would give it a hundred burning chuubas

Favorite Trail:   all