Strong Light all of them Older Headsets

stronglight all of them

Submitted by ozone a Cross Country Rider from san jose ca

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2003

Strengths:    Roller bearings distribute the load very well,much better than ball bearings.The bearings and races can be replaced allowing the headset to last indefinitely.The bearings come out in a retainer which allows them to be cleaned easily without losing any

Weaknesses:    Tall stack height.THE FRAME MUST BE FACED AND REAMED PROPERLY OR THIS HEADSET WILL NEVER ADJUST PROPERLY.This really isnt a weakness,but a warning.Other headsets may allow for some imperfections,but those with roller bearings wont.Prep and install it right the 1st time and this headset will last many years.

Bottom Line:
I use 2 of these.One really old 1" threaded version and a newer threadless one.Ive been using these since the 80s until I could afford Kings.On a road bike they will last forever.If they see more wet conditions,I have had good luck using a headseal or a piece of innertube stretched the bottom race.I think Ive replaced the bearings once on one of my headsets,never had to replace the races.Its a great headset for the money and will last many years with the proper maintainance.Id say theyre just about as good as a King but require a bit more maintainance.

Favorite Trail:   anything<3'wide,rough,rocky and or rooty

Purchased At:   two bike shops

Similar Products Used:   King(the only headset Ive found thats better than the Stronglite.Campy,Raceface,Ritchey

Bike Setup:   I use one on a Redline 'cross bike and a Bridgestone road bike,a King replaced one on my Bontrager.

Submitted by Gary Gao a Weekend Warrior from Shanghai, China

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2002

Strengths:    so light, colour fits my frame well, seals, needle bearings, stiffness...everything

Bottom Line:
i bought this headset from last year's bike exhibition here. the price was reasonable. and the quality is quite satisfactory. the colour is the very match of my silver frame. the needle bearings inside is so cute,and they can enjoy a better load distribution than catridge bearings. its weight is also a masterpiece. however,my frame's headtube is very short,and i have to add some washers to raise handlebar. so i should have bought Headstrong instead which has a longer stack height. but my Headlight works without a hitch, it's worth every penny i paid. recommand it to any one who wants both quality and light weight.

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   bike exhibition

Similar Products Used:   tange(crappy!)

Bike Setup:   hardtail, psylo xc,xt-xtr, nitrox gel,sun rims,stronglight headlight

Submitted by Emil a Racer from Denmark

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2000

Strengths:    Strength! Roller bearings at both ends? Yes please!
Effective seal.
Looks the business, dunnit?

Weaknesses:    None if compared to the others.

Bottom Line:
Excellent! I usually trash my head bearings in a year, but these have lasted twice as long, and yet they don't cost twice as much - a lesson for Ritchey.

I'm replacing the cups and rollers now, which in itself is cool, since most manufacturers don't sell just parts for headsets.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Aheadset, Ritchey

Submitted by Lars a Downhiller from Holstebro

Date Reviewed: November 25, 1999

Strengths:

Weaknesses:
Don't really work at all

Bottom Line:
It's just loose all the time!

Drop off

1 Year

Chris King, Dia Compe

Giant ATX 990 w. Rock Shox DHO

Submitted by Biker Guy a Cross-Country Rider from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: November 19, 1999

Strengths:
Lightweight, durable, easy maintainance, modest price.

Weaknesses:
Stiff feel off the bike, limited selection of headsets, tall stack height. Would be nice if threaded headsets came with Allen-bolt pinch clamp locknut.

Bottom Line:
There are several Stronglight headsets. My first Stronglight headset was a 1 Delta, which has a single O-ring seal. I had thought it was damaged or misadjusted and tried to adjust it -- either it rattled or felt tight. It turns out that if you adjust it so it feels barely ``too tight' on the stand, it feels fine when riding (e.g., can ride no-hands). the seal is not great, but the headset seems unaffected by what does get in. After almost ten years of Seattle grime and regular use, almost all the other original parts are broken or worn out,it is one of just a few original parts. The aluminum locknut partlystripped out after about ten years , I put in a steel threaded lockring because it was easy the headset still weighs less than most others (but I can get a replacement locknut cheap so I might do that anyway). It is cheap, light (under 90g), is not troubled by gunk, at least with yearly service, is easy to service, and has not broken or worn out.I put a second , A14 model, on my road bike when the old one was so dimpled it was annoying me. It is heavier and taller but has an Allen-head pinch-clamp locknut. It is integrated with the race, so you cannot use it with a super-tall fork (but the stack height is pretty tall anyway). Also, the A14, though better-sealed, is heavier. I have lubed it a couple of times, otherwise trouble-free.Light weight, half the pricee of the other light headsets, feels funny when the bike is on a stand but feels fine on the road, does the job, year after year.I heard they make a threadless version but I have not seen any specs on it. If you can get one -- get it!

Skookum Flats

more than 3 years

Campagnolo, Chris King, Dia-Compe, Shimano, Specialized, WTB

KHS Ti MTB, Fuji road

Let's see who y'all's got the biggest gut of all them Clydes!

C'mon, show 'em if you got 'em! I slimmed down a bit for the summer, but here goes.... [IMG]http://img2.moonbuggy.org/imgstore/wobbly-fat-gut.gif[/IMG]Read More »

Fox F29- are all of them G2?

Hi, can anyone please clarify what is the story with Fox F29- are all 2009 Fox F29 forks G2 geometry with 51mm offset? If not what is the offset of non G2 Fox F29. And what would be the offset of Reba 29er (for comparison). Is Fox then making these forks (I did not include the 120mm version)? ... Read More »

pumping the lefties.....all of them

is it just on my forks (3 lefties) or on all later models, that the shock pump won't register a preassure. on my latest bike, i can't remove any air with a standard shock pump. i also can't get accurate preassure readings on any of my forks. the valve needle is too high into the stem. the shop ... Read More »