Ritchey Fuzzy Logic Older Headsets

3.43/5 (7 Reviews)

Ritchey Fuzzy Logic

Submitted by w g a Downhiller from San francisco

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2002

Strengths:    Good headset with descent turning ratio and turns smoothly

Weaknesses:    Contracts dirt into bearings causing popping noise, easy to fix though

Bottom Line:
I f you're gonna go all out and put your bike to a brutal test, don't get this because it will give you he**. Anything else this will be a descent headset.

Favorite Trail:   Whistler death drop

Bike Setup:   Rocky mountain fanatik(standard)

Submitted by Bill Liu a Weekend Warrior from Hong Kong

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2002

Strengths:    Look nice, seal cartridge, light

Weaknesses:    Expensive, hard to install well

Bottom Line:
(This is the review of Ritchy's WSC headset.) I don't recommend it to any one. At this price, you can buy lots of other good headset out there. No matter how hard I try, I cannot adjust this headset properly. Either too tight or too loose. When I feel the headset is smooth enough, it is already too loose (I can feel some play at the headset). The seal cannot keep dirts from entering the bearings too. I rather like the lower level fuzzy logy headset which is installed on my other bike. It works well.

Favorite Trail:   Kam Ma Lun Trail

Purchased At:   May Wah Bike Store

Similar Products Used:   Ritchy fuzzy logic, a head set, shimanio stx

Bike Setup:   Trek 8000

Submitted by Symon a Weekend Warrior from Cornwall, UK

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2002

Strengths:    NONE

Weaknesses:    Completely f***ed in less than six months

Bottom Line:
This is a crap headset. Admittedly it has had Cornish winter(ie wet/muddy) use but there is no excuse for its pathetic performance, this headset has virtually no effective sealing in fact it seems to retain water/muck inside it rather than keep it out. A few years ago I had an ordinary logic headset fitted to a Kona hardtail and it gave good service for a fair while so when my Sub5 came fitted as standard with what I thought was a better headset I was expecting alot more than was delivered! After 4-5 months of use the bearings was so rough I could hardly control my bike. On inspection this headset was FULL of sh*t, in 10 years of riding off road I have never been through a headset so quickly. I have had quite a few cheaper and supposedly lesser headsets last a lot better, through a lot worse winters than this one didn't get through. I didn't get chance to try it in the summer (it was so far gone that an overhaul wasn't going to save it) so cant comment on its "fair weather" performance but whats the point in having a major component (as I think your headset is) that wont last through year round weather? I have replaced it with a WTB momentum grease guard as I have previous good experience with these excellent headsets-O K it weighs a bit more but I reckon if you weighed the mud,rust and crap that came out of the ritchey it would weigh more than both headsets put together! Avoid this crap headset if you can, if minus points were available for performance I would give it 50

Favorite Trail:   Carn Brea

Similar Products Used:   Tioga,Dia-compe,WTB momentum(the one 2 get when your ritchey is worn out!)

Bike Setup:   Orange Sub5,Manitou forks,Rock shox sid xc rear shock,Hope mini brakes, shimano drivetrain

Submitted by Jason a Cross-Country Rider from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2000

Strengths:
Light and innovative with roller bearings. Provides a beter platform than conventional ball bearings.

Weaknesses:
lower seal could be a little better. Need periodic adjustments

Bottom Line:
I initially had a problem with the lower cup wearing poorly, (check the adjustment). I contacted Ritchey and they sent me a new lower assembly. Maurice, at Ritchey handled it very quickly and was very helpful.
Make sure you check adjust/grease it. I would buy another Ritchey headset. Good quality, innovative design, and excellent customer service.

2 Years

Diacompe, Cane Creek

1998 Rocky Mountain Blizzard-hardtail, Marzocchi Z2 light

Submitted by Ray a Cross-Country Rider from London, Ontario

Date Reviewed: December 13, 1999

Strengths:
Very light wieght, looks fairly decent, stays clean of the muddy stuff, good for racing and short courses.

Weaknesses:
needs to be tightened more often than I'd like. Usually after some fairly tough rocky and rooted terrain. This headset is not meant for prolonged beatings on long rough trail.

Bottom Line:
This is a great headset for racers and wieght weenies, but it will need special care on or after prolonged and rough rides. Good headset.

1 Year

Raceface, shimano, toiga

Cromo-hardtail, Judy SL
517's XT, XTR, syncros, and other little lightwieght gizmos

Submitted by andrew a Cross-Country Rider from alvalon

Date Reviewed: December 12, 1999

Strengths:
lightweight, cheap

Weaknesses:
compression ring

Bottom Line:
Light @94g for 1 1/8, cheap (got mine for $25), does what suppose to. Has needle lower bearing, so stronger then Logic, but yet not as smooth. I did not like soft plastic compression ring, set came loose after first ride, had to tighten. Also it doesnt hug steer as good as more expensive sets, so this thing would have tendency to go really fast if get loose.
Anyone having problem with Ritchey's sets, keep it tight!

less than 1 month

Shimano LX

Submitted by Steve a Cross-Country Rider from Minneapolis, MN

Date Reviewed: September 25, 1999

Strengths:
Durable, stays adjusted, stays clean

Weaknesses:
Not the smoothest headset out there.

Bottom Line:
I ride lots of dusty trails and this headset stays as clean as can be. Easy to adjust and durable. I have a 1 steerer and have had problems with other headsets staying together, but this one is up to the task. Only complaint is that it isn't the smoothest headset I've used, far from it, and is a bit on the expensive side Good headset, but it could be smoother.

6 months