Ringlé Slamma Jamma Older Headsets

3.2/5 (20 Reviews)

Ringle Slamma Jamma

Submitted by Nouveau a Cross Country Rider from Bristol, UK

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2003

Strengths:    Super strong, funny looks, good seals, invincible quality.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy

Bottom Line:
Fantastic Headset.

I've had it since 2000 when I went on my hols and wandered in to a bike shop in Tahiland. It's received solid muddy singlespeed abuse and zero servicing, is still super smooth and has collected no dirt at all.

I'd rate it better than a Chris King. Kings are also excellent headsets and considerably lighter, but I don't consider them to be as dirt proof or bomber.

The only downside is the chunkyness. I'm a bit of a weight weanie, but I don't mind with this item as the performance is so good. Recomended for XC jays and DH abuse monkeys alike.

By the sounds of things there are good old skool headsets and crapy new ones. I'm assuming I've got the good old skool one.

Favorite Trail:   Leigh Woods

Purchased At:   Thailand

Similar Products Used:   King, Dia Compe Crappy ones, Hope XC, Ritchey

Bike Setup:   Kona 2001 Explosif, XT minis, Marzocchi Marathon SL, RaceFace

Submitted by Hunter a Cross Country Rider from Casselberry, Fl

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2003

Strengths:    longevity

Weaknesses:    color

Bottom Line:
This head set came off my older bike to this new one. I have been riding cross country, jumping, and trials. I have taken apart, cleaned, adjusted and pounded this thing out with a hammer once. It still gives smooth service and has held up to all this. The only reason I may replace it is because I don't like the color I got when it was on sale. If you want a install and not worry about it head set, this one will do great.

Favorite Trail:   Ocala

Purchased At:   Irvine Bike Source

Similar Products Used:   stock head set lasted about a month

Bike Setup:   Trek Hardtail with Full Shimano XT 9spd system, Race Face Cranks, Mavic D521 rear/Sun O degree front rim, Ringle headset, LX V-brakes, Avid 1.9 levers, Kore stem, Titec riser bars, RockShox suspension seatpost, RockShox Judy Race fork, Primo pedals, ODI grips.

Submitted by Craig a Cross Country Rider from Falls Church, VA

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2001

Strengths:    Old ones were great.

Weaknesses:    New ones are lousy.

Bottom Line:
I have two Ringle aheadsets. The first I bought 4+ years ago. It has over 2000 dirt miles on it and performs perfectly. Couldn't be happier.

Then I bought a new one for my commuter bike. Even though I had read the reviews below, I got one because of my previous positive experience. What a mistake. I had the same rough action when first installed as described below.
The HS also never tightened quite right. The top cap/cup does not seem to properly seat on the upper bearing and the cap/cup rocks back and forth. It seems the quality control of the company has gone in the can. Look elsewhere for your next headset!

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Submitted by dirt from Japan

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2001

Strengths:    bomb proof strong, easy to maintenance

Weaknesses:    it feels like tripod is inside the bearings in first a few rides.
space between lower push to bearing.

Bottom Line:
First week after I installed it didn't turn smoothly at all.
but after a few free rides, it got smoother ,
beats cane creek.
It easy to grese up, well almost mentenance free anyway.

the the cup is large enough to take some damage, but it's bit ugly.

Similar Products Used:   richey, cane creek

Submitted by Amanda Hugankiss a Downhiller from NORCAL

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2001

Strengths:    price, I guess.

Weaknesses:    pretty much everything else about it.

Bottom Line:
Turns like it's filled with crunchy sand and sludge. What a piece of crap. I guess its not too expensive though. But it becomes expensive when the bearings sieze after maybe 50 hours of riding, and then you have to go buy a real headset.
You should buy it if you are selling your bike immediately after installation.

Favorite Trail:   secret

Similar Products Used:   Chris King, Ritchey, FSA

Submitted by worm a Cross Country Rider from singapore

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2001

Weaknesses:    bought it cos i blew my budget and thought i could save some cash.... it really sucks! the bottom race never stopped giving me grief since day 1... there's a perpertual ticking sound in the headset....n it's destroyng my frame! useless!

Bottom Line:
Don't pinch pennies for your headset! go for the king man!

Bike Setup:   01 s-works xc fsr, sid, x-max

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from NH

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2001

Strengths:    It was not that expensive?

Weaknesses:    It doesnt even work right and almost damaged my frame

Bottom Line:
I got this headset mail order and it never felt like it was properly adjusted. I have come to find out that the bottom cup was "rocking" back and forth in the headtube I am just hoping that I caught it before it ovalized my headtube. I should have known better when I installed it cause the cup just fell right into place it, it was not as tight as it should have been. I am concerned about there customer service..I hope that they dont give me any grief. The bottom cup is obviously not the correct diameter. I am buying a Cris King so I dont have to worry about that ever again. Whats the bottom line you ask? You get what you pay for, it was a pile of crap thats why it was so cheap!

Favorite Trail:   Hedgehog, Bear Brook

Purchased At:   Cambria.com

Similar Products Used:   Aheadset

Bike Setup:   GT LTS

Submitted by JP a Weekend Warrior from Aliso Viejo

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2001

Strengths:    Would not know!

Weaknesses:    CUSTOMER SERVICE

Bottom Line:
I BOUGHT A HEADSET ONLINE WITH A DEFECTIVE BOTTOM RACE. I TRIED EMAILS AND PHONE CALLS. I WISH I HAD A CHANCE TO TRY THE PRODUCT BUT THE CUSTOMER SERVICE WOULD NOT REPLY TO MY CALLS. IF YOUR LOOKING FOR A COMPANY THAT STANDS BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT DO NOT BUY RUN-RINGLE.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   NONE

Bike Setup:   K2, NOLEEN, XTR,

Submitted by Steven Alexander a Racer from Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2000

Strengths:    butter smooth, cool colours, super nice machining, and sealing. Oh yeah, $50 at their website!!!!

Weaknesses:    a tad large sized cups, had to remove two spacers to acheive the same height of bar and stem after replacing the headset

Bottom Line:
Makes the canecreek headset that I had look like it should have cost $5.00. I got mine in yeti blue, WOW!!! Super smooth, serviceable bearings, seals well...actually looks like water will not be an issue for it...

Favorite Trail:   Lawerence Park

Purchased At:   sunrims.com

Similar Products Used:   raceface, canecreek, diacompe, fsr.

Bike Setup:   Giant 890, raceface seatpost and cranks, Chris King hubs, mavic wheels, xt groupo, hayes disks.

Submitted by james a Cross Country Rider from indianapolis

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2000

Strengths:    strong, good-looking piece of work, smooth

Weaknesses:    none noted yet

Bottom Line:
Nice smooth operation, no problems yet. Haven't tried to perfom any maintenance on it yet, but don't expect any problems. I would buy another.

Favorite Trail:   knobstone trail

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   dia compe

Bike Setup:   gt avalanche, z3light, xt drivetrain, king hubs, avid brakes

Submitted by Peter Creve a Weekend Warrior from Antwerp-Belgium

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2000

Strengths:    Silky smooth , very strong , color stays very long ,
easy maintenance , looks gigacool

Weaknesses:    what weaknesses ??

Bottom Line:
This is a strong and reliable product. So far never had
any problems with it. It runs very smooth and its
incredibly cool.

Favorite Trail:   Hardcore Street/freestyle

Purchased At:   bikeshop

Similar Products Used:   Chris King , Ritchey , FSA , Tioga

Bike Setup:   Kona Kula , Marzocchi Bomber , Magura(10th) + Altek ,
ringle + mavic X517cer , Club Roost , Race Face

Submitted by Hunter a Racer from Orlando, Fl

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2000

Strengths:    Dependable

Bottom Line:
Installed when ball bearing set up failed. This product gave me no problems ever. I pound my bike on jumps, drops, trials, and fast pace xc. Buy this one!

Favorite Trail:   Snowhill

Similar Products Used:   stock garbage

Bike Setup:   XC, moab, judy race, XT, 517's

Submitted by John Morrissey a Cross Country Rider from Townsend,Massachusetts

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2000

Strengths:    American made!!!! BEEFY,looks good and is priced good.

Weaknesses:    None as of yet

Bottom Line:
Nice equipment,good price,holds up nice. I ended up replacing it with a nuke proof. But I have to give this headset PROPS.

Favorite Trail:   Leominster State forest

Similar Products Used:   FSA PIG,Nuke Proof

Bike Setup:   98 Fisher Joshua,Judy XL,Sun Mammoth rims,Titec hellbent post,Berzerker saddle,Knucklehead stem,Trucker DH bars,Magura HS-33 Tomac red brakes,Michellin wildgripper hot-s tires

Submitted by Natascha Zielonka a Cross Country Rider from Mainz,Germany

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2000

Strengths:    After solving the problem described below, this Headset is as smooth as silk and noone can deny how cool it looks

Weaknesses:    When I got the SLamma Jamme I had the same probles that others describe here. Even though mounted professionally twice it was either too loose or crunched. I was close to going nuts and throwing the thing away.
But then my bike dealer´s mechanic had a closer look. It seems Ringlé has a production faliure on some of the slamma Jammas. Don´t ask me what exactly he did to it, but it seems some part os the headset was touching the bearings and after cleaning that out it now works fine.

Bottom Line:
So now I´m very happy with the headset. I hope others can use the little help I´m trying to give here when having the same problem. I´m not a mecanic so I can´t give more detail as to how to solve the problem exactly. All I wanna say is it can be solved and if you have further questions how, just mail me: mirja-zielonka@gmx.de

Favorite Trail:   Mainz