FSA Conix Binder Older Headsets

2.6/5 (5 Reviews)

Submitted by womble a Weekend Warrior from na

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2011

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Doesn't work at all

Bottom Line:
The Conix basically doesn't work at all for me. Regardless of how tightly the until has been cranked down. As I have no problems with the similarly designed Hope Head Doctor, I can only assume the problem lies with the Conix (either a materials choice, or smaller friction surfaces for binding to the steerer tube).

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Hope Head Doctor
Azonic Headlock

Submitted by Ellison Smith a Cross Country Rider from Greenville, SC

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2003

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    heavy, comes loose on every ride

Bottom Line:
This thing sucks. Thats the bottom line. It came with a headset I bought which would work fine if this thing would hold it together. I've been on four or five rides with this thing, and during every single one it has come loose. So, when I tighten it up, it becomes too tight and I cant loosen it back up. Even at that point, my fork still wobbles in my headset. I even took it too a repair shop to make sure it was installed correctly. This thing is terrible! keep your star nut. Lets just say I just got back from a bike shop to put my star nut back in.

This is the second time I've put my money into FSA products. I won't be making that mistake a third time. I just hope the headset will work well enough with a regular star nut.

Purchased At:   Came with a headset

Similar Products Used:   any other star nut

Bike Setup:   trek fuel, full xt, manitou black, rolf, michelin, race face, easton, fox, etc.

Submitted by næstep a Cross Country Rider from SF Bay Area, California

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2002

Strengths:    Easy to install
Easy to remove
Easy to adjust
Works well

Weaknesses:    Relative to a star nut, top cap and bolt, it's a few grams heavy.
As with star nuts, must be conscious of inner diameter of steerer tube size (i.e. steel vs. alloy steerer).

Bottom Line:
I began using the Conix when it came as part of an Orbit XLII headset. I've always been kind of a wus when it comes to driving star nuts using makeshift methods such as screwdriver shanks and top cap bolts, so the Conix was perfect for me.

There simply is no problem with the Conix "slipping" in the headtube. I've owned a couple of these now and used them in a varitey of fork and stem combinations. The Conix tightens everything up nicely, but the steerer tube clamp on the stem does the real work. In fact, I've put enough miles on one of my bikes with the Conix temporarily **removed** to be confident "slipping" isn't a problem.

Now the fact of it is I have nothing against the lowly star nut there is nothing wrong with a star nut, and ever since I broke down a bought a star nut driver I've stopped using the Conix altogether. I've had a number of good years with the Conix on an assortment of bikes and it does exactly as it claims. When it's installed, you won't think about it. When it comes time for a fork swap, you'll appreciate it.

Similar Products Used:   Star nuts & traditional top caps.

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from The Swamp, FL

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2002

Strengths:    ???

Weaknesses:    heavy, pulls out.

Bottom Line:
Why do you think they are "given away" with FSA headsets.
Would not buy the CONIX.

The FSA ORBIT EXTREME however is a "Best Buy" if you are in the market for a bomb proof headset.

Purchased At:   came with FSA headset