Aheadset Threadless Headset Older Headsets

3.57/5 (7 Reviews)

This 1 1/8" threadless headset provides smooth performance at an inexpensive price. Durable yet lightweight aluminum alloy construction with 5/32" ball steel bearings. Stack height 27mm. Includes top cap, adjusting bolt and star nut.

Submitted by Ryan Ferraro a Weekend Warrior from North Jersey

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2006

Strengths:    inexpensive, holds well. Quality parts (except plastic cap)

Weaknesses:    Be careful and pay attention to what you are doing. I tightened the top cap a bit too much and snapped it. I had to put a metal washer above the cap in order to ride.

Bottom Line:
Good product, keep in mind you get what you pay for. Recomended for an easy setup, just don't hammer down on that bolt. I just ordered an FSA Pig to replace my aheadset.

Favorite Trail:   Any thing I can find

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Generic bike sets.

Bike Setup:   Full susp. SRAM parts, rockshox forks, WTB wheels.

Submitted by Eric Davis a Cross Country Rider from Boring, OR

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2003

Strengths:    Cheap, effective, and ease of use

Weaknesses:    Cap

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent headset, but when I first installed it, i tightened the nut down, and before I got it tight enough to hold my steerer tube, the plastic cap on top broke through. Completely useless. I managed to salvage it with a visit to a local bike shop and buying a new, metal cap. Great price, good quality, just may require 5 more bucks to make safe enough to ride on.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere i can ride

Submitted by Don a Cross Country Rider from Trenton, NJ US

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2002

Strengths:    Strong product

Weaknesses:    none found

Bottom Line:
I have these units on two of my bikes for two years now. I just clean and repack them once a year and adjust them maybe twice a year. Excellent headsets for x-country. If you ride in wet conditions a lot, you should clean and repack them several times per year.

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Chris King

Bike Setup:   KHS with xt

Submitted by Stenchy a Cross Country Rider from Boca Raton

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2002

Strengths:    Strong and durable, plus inexpensive!

Weaknesses:    None so far and its been on two bikes in two years.

Bottom Line:
A good headset that has lasted two years for me in extremely sandy, humid conditions. If the guy from NYC had a torque wrench he would be riding as I type this. Bottom line: Durable and cheap.

Bike Setup:   2002 Specialized Rockhopper with many modifications.

Submitted by Leif Linder from NYC

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2002

Weaknesses:    Aheadset would not adjust correctly - when it wa tightened down, so that steering was sticky it still clicked when rocking bike back and forth. The cause? I think it is that dorky nylon spacer they have between the top bearing and the fork. Also, the star thing that you sink into the fork tube, broke when I tried to tighten it. And, boy! That was fun trying to get out again. I'm going to demand my money back and get a Chris King.

Bottom Line:
I can't recommend this headset, not matter how cheap its cost.

Favorite Trail:   Central Park Loop

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Submitted by B.D.C. a Cross Country Rider from LA

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2002

Strengths:    strong and smooth

Bottom Line:
I have the cartridge bearing Aheadset set. It has steel alloy cups and has lasted three frames. Not even a scratch and it's still smooth. I'm not even sure if they make it anymore.

Submitted by Niels Joubert a Cross Country Rider from Stellenbosch, South Africa

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2002

Strengths:    Good price. For a normal rider, perfect!

Weaknesses:    Water and worse grease enemies easily gets into the headset. This is not a big problem, but if your headset feels grainy or worn out, open up and grease!

Bottom Line:
As I said, water and worse grease enemies easily gets into the headset. This is not a big problem, but if your headset feels grainy or worn out, open up and grease!

This headset is not perfectly smooth. Even when it is new you can feel the ball bearings running inside the headset, but this s to be expected, and you don't even notice it while you are riding.

I would reccomend this headset to everyone from beginner up. Of course, if you have the money, you can spend it on a better headset, but this one does the job! In over 2 years of use, I only had to open it once!

Favorite Trail:   Anything with speed!!!

Purchased At:   Came with my bike

Bike Setup:   Diamondback Vectra 1999 with RST 381AET shocks and RavX grips + bar-ends.

Threaded headset to threadless headset conversion

Hi everyone I'm new here and a noob at building my first mountain bike. I bought a fairly cheap mountain bike which is all I can afford and it has a threaded quill and I removed the quill which is stamped 25.4 on it. I want to convert the headset to threadless and change the suspension fork on it an ... Read More »

Recommended headset for threadless 1 1/8"

I have an old Mongoose NX 7.3 (1999) still with the original Manitou SX-E fork. Now I have in my hand a used Manitou R7 MRD with 1 1/8" steerer tube. I would like to replace the headset at the same time but can´t figure out and decide what to buy. Current one is by bikepedia the 1 1/8" threadles ... Read More »

best threadless headset?

hey! What do people recommend as the best threadless headset? I need something to replace the shit FSA Orbit Threadless Zero Stack 11/8 upper 1.5 Lower [INDENT]Lemme know![/INDENT]Read More »

Any way to use a quill stem with a threadless headset ?

I have a bike with a 1x1/8 threaded headset/quill stem, that I'd like to replace the fork on. I am pretty attached to the stem (Moots Ti 120mm) but it's quill style. Does anyone know of an adapter that would allow one to run a quill stem with a threadless fork/headset ? Soma makes something a ... Read More »

1 1/8 th threadless headset for older bikes

With this headset, you can run an 1 1/8 threadless NON-Tapered fork in an older bike that normally takes a American Standard 1" threaded headset (27mm). Fits old Schwinns and other American cruiser bikes, some bmx bikes and some older mountain bikes. Made in the USA. Made out of steel, not for weigh ... Read More »