Hayes Cable Actuated Older Disc Brakes

3.27/5 (41 Reviews)

No levers Fluidless system, uses standard lever, cable and housing. Adjuster barrel for "tool free" pad adjustment. All-weather brake pads. Complete ball bearing system. Mounting bracket system for eash setup and adjustment. 6" rotor. 465g

Submitted by Doug Thayer a Cross Country Rider from Ashland

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2002

Strengths:    Not much. Look cool cause theyre disc brakes

Weaknesses:    These suck. they have no power and are not grabby at all. I had non stop problems with them. Sometimes I couldnt even lock up the rear tire. I could never nosemanual or even get the back wheel up. I would fall on my back manualing.

Bottom Line:
If you want these, buy avids instead, or hydraulics. I would have rather had rim brakes. I couldnt save myself from manualing onto my back, and couldnt even skid around switchbacks sometimes. Maybe the 8 inch ones are better. I have hayes Hyaraulics now and love them. Ive ridden avids discs a little and theyre amazing. boo for hayes mechis. and Ps. Im not just a xc, I like dh, steep stuff, jumping and urban too.

Favorite Trail:   Hitt road

Purchased At:   Cycle sport

Similar Products Used:   Hayes Hydraulics, xt v brakes, avid mechi discs

Bike Setup:   2002 stinky, stock. I now have Hayes hydros (sick)

Submitted by nate king from Everett,WA

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2002

Strengths:    No oil to loose, easy to clean, adjust and maintain. Vast improvement from Hayes' first run of mechanicals (Thanks to the easier to adjust in-board pad). Better modulation than the only other decent mechanical on the market, Avid. Standard Hayes pads and 6" or 8" rotors.

Weaknesses:    Not a hydraulic, requires a lot more pull on the lever to get power. Unless you live and ride in a very dry or desert climate I found that frequent replacement of the rear brake housing or a Gore sealed system is needed to consistently get full power from the caliper. I would reccomend Hayes or xt's instead, if you ride alot in wet conditions, or frequent ski lifts.

Bottom Line:
You get what you pay for, great for that second bike you don't want to drop too much coin on, but have to have disc brakes on it. Or for the liestylah cheepskate, like myself, who wants to have a low maintainence decent brake. If you are big guy or aggressive on the steeps see if your friendly local shop will swap the 6" rotors the HMX comes with for 8"ers, remember it takes a different caliper to frame/fork adaptor for the big un's.

Favorite Trail:   Burropass

Purchased At:   Joe's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Avid, Formula, First year Hayes mechaical

Bike Setup:   Jamis Eureka, redressed for the disco ball. I run Hayes own mechanical levers, I'm not sure if they are just an OEM spec for the Jamis or not. They look kinda cheap but have withstood plenty of impacts (remember not to over-tighten your levers kids) and work pretty good. A reviewer at nsmb.com had good luck with...I think it was a Norco lever that looked sorta like an Avid speed dial, in that it had a dial to adjust cable pull.

Submitted by Rob Fraser a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2002

Strengths:    They won't puss fluid and they will always stop no matter what.

Weaknesses:    Caliper set-up. Weigh in 2lbs each.

Bottom Line:
Don't pay full price. They are fun to play with in the wet. The Hayes brake pads are the best. They stop when avid won't. Expect to take the extra weight out of your bicycle elsewhere.

Favorite Trail:   Don Valley, North Shore

Similar Products Used:   Avid

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Elevation with Hayes, Raceface, Cane Creek, Mavic, Sram, Maxxis, Selle Italia & Swiss DT.

Submitted by John T a Cross Country Rider from Dyer, Iowa

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2002

Strengths:    They work well for cable discs. They work in all weather conditions and I never notice any fade or change in modulation. The brake levers are also very comfortable and easy to pull. The leverage ratios are perfectly suited to the calipers and it's easy to lock 'em up if you try. These brakes are definatly much better than any cantilever or V-brake, that's for sure. However, I haven't had enough hours on full hydros (only short demo rides) to compare to 'real' discs.

Weaknesses:    1) Nearly stripped both brake lever attaching bolts when adjusting the location. Now someone out there can say that I might of torqued them down too much, but that isn't the case at all. The spread on the clamp is so wide you need to muscle the bolt down just to get the clamp down to the diameter of the bars.............then give it a couple more turns to snug it up. Honestly, I have good tools and know proper torque settings..........in 20+ years of riding and working in bike shops, I've maybe stripped 4 bolts. Two of them are on these levers, what does that tell you?

2) The rear caliper broke after about 2 months of (admittedly) hard use. My shop stuck a 2001 Hayes caliper on for me, but Hayes has ignored a month's worth of POLITE emails to their 'warranty and tech' department.

Bottom Line:
I can't really recommend these brakes for one simple reason: Hayes customer service BITES IT! I have emailed them THREE times over the past month and a half for the same warranty question and gotten no reply. I guess I'm going to have to try calling them, but honestly they should have the common courtesy to return their customers emails. Especially when they have a specific email address set up for 'warranty and tech' information.

Purchased At:   Came as OEM equipment

Similar Products Used:   Countless V-brakes, Cantilevers, U-brakes, etc.

Bike Setup:   Ironhorse Stout with Sun rims and hubs, Marzocchi DJ fork, Hussefelt cramks, Deore LX.........

Submitted by Dave from Close to whiteface NY

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2002

Strengths:    Good stopping power, much better than my old v's, no pesky hydraullic fluid, easy to tinker with.

Weaknesses:    gotta watch what you're doing , can get snagged on things and stuff like that

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that these breaks are sicker than the flu.

Favorite Trail:   blue trail

Purchased At:   McWhinnies Montreal

Similar Products Used:   Hayes Hydraullic

Bike Setup:   2002 Kona Stinky

Submitted by MArk a Downhiller from Whistler

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2002

Strengths:    When adjusted right stopping power of a wall.

Weaknesses:    Requires constant attention and adjusting. Depending on the frequency and type of riding this can be a daily chore.

Bottom Line:
I am not sure of the price retail but I do know if I had a choice at this point I would get a hydro front and cable rear. My front brake 'weakens' easily leaving me stranded at times. I also weight in the 250 to 270 range so stopping power is a must in this town.

Favorite Trail:   River Runs through it

Purchased At:   Cove bikes

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   Stock Kona Roast 2002

Submitted by Keith M. a Cross Country Rider from Eugene, Oregon

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2002

Strengths:    Great modulation and stopping power. They'll flip you over the top if you're not carful.

Weaknesses:    A little noisy and once a rub develops you have to play with them.

Bottom Line:
I received these brakes from Giant to compensate for the original crappy Formula MD-1 disks they spec'd on my XTC. I love these so much more than the Formulas! They do make a little noise during their break in period, but compared to the banshee-like wailing of the Formula's, these are whisper quiet.

Be sure to pair these brakes with good set of cables. (Avid or Ride-On) Since I went with Flak Jackets, my life has been good. I've had some trouble with clearance on my front wheel with the disk making a rubbing noise but it does not slow the wheels rotation. Go figure. If you want super duper, 80 degree downhill slope stopping power go with hydro brakes, but these brakes make my XC life sweet. Oh, they look great too.

Similar Products Used:   Formula MD-1's (most worthless mech. disks ever created)

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC-SE1 with Avid Flak Jacket Cables.

Submitted by Mitch a Downhiller from Central Coast, Australia

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2002

Strengths:    Stops me...happy aLL round with it...sure beats cantilever.

Weaknesses:    cable has been known to slip..(thats during racing though)

Bottom Line:
Once they r worn in they go alright, just keep adjusting the allen bolt every couple of weeks and ur sweet..no drag. The wet there is no difference, and they look cool...which makes everyone go 'Disc Brakes on a pushy?'.

Purchased At:   With BIKE

Similar Products Used:   Just old-school V's and centre-pull

Bike Setup:   Norco VPS

Submitted by Kyle Hawes a Downhiller from MA

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2002

Strengths:    Good stopping power. Looks cool.

Weaknesses:    Could have a little more...stopping power. Squels like a pig. Cables crack first ride. And they could break in faster.

Bottom Line:
Nice breakes for a Xcountry rider. Need more power!

Favorite Trail:   UMass

Purchased At:   Scottys bike

Similar Products Used:   XT hydros. Hays hydros.

Bike Setup:   2002 Knona stinky with Z1wedge Truvitiv cranks.

Submitted by William Lambert a Weekend Warrior from Bethlehem,PA,USA

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2001

Strengths:    They stop you really well.
They look good.
Easy to remove and install wheels.

Weaknesses:    More difficult than "V" brakes to adjust.

Bottom Line:
These brakes came with the WARP. They and the full suspensions were the reasons I bought the bike. Most of my rides are on canal tow paths and rail trails where you hardly need brakes. The roads around my house have some long steep hills. These brakes are excellent on the hills. They really slow you down and hold up to the heat. I did have one problem. My rear brake developed an annoying intermittent squeak when riding without braking. It was rubbing on the fixed pad. I would adjust it so the clearances look good, but it would still squeak. The pads are new so the fixed pad was backed out as far as it would go and the clearances were pretty tight. I finally discovered that my frame or wheel was flexing so that the disc was moving .005 to .010 inch toward the fixed pad. I had to adjust so that the disc almost touches the operating pad with no weight on the bike. Now all is well and I am a happy camper. I have disc brakes and don't have to fiddle with hydraulics. The best of both worlds......

Favorite Trail:   Lehigh Gorge

Purchased At:   Saucon Valley Bikes

Bike Setup:   Giant WARP DS I, pretty much stock.

Submitted by mike a Weekend Warrior from alberta

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2001

Strengths:    they dont fade in wet conditions like i once found out when it was raining with v brakes. plus they just look cool

Weaknesses:    I have had these for a week now and im starting to wonder how long it actually takes to break them in . I can actualy ride with the back brake on full fom a stand still and pedal. they dont seem to make any more noise than my friends hydros and they take a lot of effort to pull

Bottom Line:
i think they are ok but would like hydraulics if i had the money. they seem to work ok but i hear that the avids are much better

Similar Products Used:   hayes hydro

Bike Setup:   kona scrap

Submitted by Sebastien a Weekend Warrior from Ste-Julie, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2001

Strengths:    Good brake feel, modulate real well. Easy to install

Weaknesses:    Have a tendency to squeak sometimes.

Bottom Line:
These are real good brakes, they don't fade to fast even when used for dh. Really good and cheap alternative to hydrolic brakes. With these brakes you now that everytime you'll apply them they won't let you down. The only problem is sometimes they tend to squeak even after the break in period.

Favorite Trail:   Bromont

Similar Products Used:   Hayes hydrolics, Magura Julie

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Spice with RockShox Psylo xc, Race face cranks, xt derailleurs, Fox vanilla rear shock.

Submitted by Rick Markam a Weekend Warrior from Victoria, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2001

Strengths:    ................

Weaknesses:    they are honestly very bad breaks, they are really hard to set up, squeal like hell(which by the way you CANT fix), they are less powerful then V brakes, cost alot, and probably many others which i cant remember..

Bottom Line:
Ok, they are in my, and anyone who has tried them that i know personally's opinion are not very good brakes, seriously V brakes are much better.. the brakes sometimes even lock up completely which is really really freaky when your going down steep tough hills.., and when they do work, when you are going down hills like gravel, loose dirt, ect. they are quite noisy..and i would really recomend getting avid mechanical,which are cheaper and alot better, or hayes hydraulic.. pricy but well worth it.. or if you just dont want disc brakes, get V brakes cuz they are better then hayes mechanical.

Favorite Trail:   Hartland, Millstream, Lake Tahoe

Purchased At:   Russ Hayes

Similar Products Used:   avid mechanical(much much better, and cheaper), Hayes Hydraulic(excellent brakes)

Bike Setup:   Sasquatch, Z5's..

Submitted by MIKE a Weekend Warrior from Burbank

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2001

Strengths:    Stops.

Weaknesses:    Like to scream.

Bottom Line:
This is a WARNING. Watch out for trees. I was going thru some small trees, when a lower branch fliped up and locked my frony brake. It caused me to be slamed to the ground like a rag doll.
Story:I was heading down a hill when I lost the path, To the left of the single track and then crossing to the right side. Crashing thru the trees, trying to slow down.
I was all of the sudden, over my bike and bars hitting the ground with a big THUD!!. I could not figure out what happened, if anything I thought that my bar ends grabed a tree branch. Trees on my right crash to the left NO WAY!! Then I thought that I was braking real hard, front and back. The rear lifted off the ground causing the front to lock up NO WAY!!
I knew it was some kind of bike failure. Then I looked at the breaking arm. Hummm 3/8 of inch movement and then the brake locks.That must be it,while going through the brush I must of parted some lower trees with my tire. As the fork pushed the branches foward, as soon as they cleared the fork it whiped into the braking mechanism, locking up my front tire and sending me over my bike. Its the only thing I can think of and just wanted to pass it on.
-3 chilis for dumpn' me

Favorite Trail:   Any and all

Purchased At:   Came with thie bike

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight w/xvert super shock, some tires and other things.

Submitted by anthony a Downhiller from colorado

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2000

Strengths:    it stops me

Weaknesses:    i wish it came in a hot pink

Bottom Line:
these brakes are awesome. I got them because they work well in frigid temps. I needed that 'cuz conditions on mt everest were -50 degrees when theres sun.

Favorite Trail:   3rd base came on Mt. Everest