Amp Disc Brake Older Disc Brakes

3.8/5 (20 Reviews)

Amp Disc Brakes

Submitted by Kristof Ulburghs a Weekend Warrior from Heverlee, Belgium

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2001

Strengths:    Ease of setup

Weaknesses:    goes Zzzzzing

Bottom Line:
The brake is awesome. I only have one at the front but I am going to put one at the rear as well. Just too good not to buy a second one.
Braking power is always there, I have never had to pull it all the way. Modulation is pretty good although, since it is a cable operated system, your hands still have to do the bulk of the modulating. Front wheelies no problem.
Only one remark : there was no cable stop ( with the rubber seal ) supplied, so I had to fiddle with '3d party' widgets given to me by the LBS-dude. The issue is between me and the shopkeeper however and it will get resolved, he has been very helpful, he did not get the part himself.
I also had to puzzle the mounts together since the Z5 on the Stinky just has two holes to accept an adapter, not international nor postmount brakes. ( It originally features a Formula which was replaced with Avid V's by the LBS at my request )
The highest rating for this one, it is very good.

Kristof

Purchased At:   Hotwheelz Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   no disc brakes, Avid Arch Rival 40 and Single Digit

Bike Setup:   2000 Kona Stinky, pretty much stock except for the cranks ( Northshore XS ) and pedals ( Easton Cully )

Submitted by ian smith a Cross Country Rider from rotorua, new zealand

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2001

Strengths:    forward thinking horst deserves more credit. light intelligent design, grt power and lots of feel. no drag. sent back to fatory for rebuild (my fault) excellent service, work fine with no maintenance or cleaning.

Weaknesses:    hard to service from nz. mounting a problem

Bottom Line:
hope they dont die as i think they are a grt concept.

Favorite Trail:   redwoods

Purchased At:   lawnmower shop!

Similar Products Used:   v brakes i hate them!

Bike Setup:   GT LTS bomber Z1 forks homemade adaptor to fit the caliper works fine

Submitted by Robert a Weekend Warrior from Raleigh, NC

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2000

Strengths:    Weight, power, and modulation.

Weaknesses:    Non-industry standard rear mount, Slight drag, and overheating.

Bottom Line:
This brake does not get the recognition it deserves. Modulation is great and comparable to Hayes in strenght. The previous review stated that AMP hub was a problem. I'm running a Mavic Crossmax Disc wheelset with a Mavic disc adapter to fit the D1 rotor. Chris King and White Industries also makes hubs and adapters to utilize their hubs. Those of you wanting to run Hayes or other IS brakes on a AMP, contact Jeff @ Adrenaline Bikes. Jeff custom makes an adapter to fit a AMP frame to run other Discs.

Similar Products Used:   Hayes

Bike Setup:   Dagger B3, 2001 SID 100, King, Action-Tec, Race Face.

Submitted by Preston Peterson a Cross Country Rider from Kirkland WA USA

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2000

Strengths:    Excellent modulation, good stopping power, lightweight

Weaknesses:    Overheating and general robustness, some drag

Bottom Line:
I ran Amp discs for the last 5 years-I had one of the very first production versions. I never thought the Amps got enough recognition, and now that I have installed the Hayes I still don't. The Hayes don't have more braking power, and they have less modulation especially at lockup. The primary problem with the Amps is that they can/will overheat and pump up the brake lever (requiring you to adjust the reach). They can eventually get into thermal runaway as well, but this is rare. Strangely this seems to usually happen to the rear rather than the front. This can get worse over time if the caliper has been overheated several times. In 5 years I have probably had the calipers rebuilt twice. The control is much better than the Hayes, and they are lighter, plus they are cable actuated. To me they require much less hand effort to get the same braking power as well. In general I liked the feel and power of the Amps much better, but they are not nearly robust either, although they are definitely capable. I have had them on some roaster downhills and they have very rarely let me down, they just required more maintenance. They also have a hair of drag which the Hayes don't have. Also, you must use an Amp front hub which sucks, very poor design on the front hub.

In general, I think these are great brakes but they are now outdated. If only amp had put in a little r&d to make these things just a bit more robust (larger fluid expansion chamber would have help) and more compatible with the new standards.

Favorite Trail:   Ranger Creek

Similar Products Used:   Hayes discs

Bike Setup:   Amp B-5, F-4

Submitted by Andrejs Verlis a Racer from Waterloo, Ontario

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2000

Strengths:    Lightweight, good stopping power

Weaknesses:    Can't find any

Bottom Line:
These are good XC disc brakes if anything... I suppose if you try to use them for downhill they will overheat and work improperly, but then again these are for XC bikes, not DH... I have experienced only predictable, consistent braking power from these brakes and have experienced no difficulties with them... If you don;t like to worry about brake rub or messy looking rims due to brake wear, AND you ride XC, then these are good brakes for you... if you have a fork/frame that will fit them...

Favorite Trail:   Waterloo Hydro Cut Network

Similar Products Used:   Only V-Brakes

Bike Setup:   B4 Carbon, F3XC Carbon, D1 set, XTR, RaceFace, King... etc..

Submitted by Ron a Weekend Warrior from Florida

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2000

Strengths:    Good stopping in the dry, rain, or mud. No special: levers, cables, tools, wheel truing, maintenance, or operation, required. Light weight & better than any rim brake. Works good last long time!

Weaknesses:    It doesn't make the best downhill brake due to close reservoir fluid expansion when excessively heated. Some heat won't phase it.
It needs to be able to fit the new standard Disk Brake Mount found on newer frames and forks.

Bottom Line:
I've been using them for 5 years. Once I thought I had air in the rear brake because it felt spongy at the lever and slow to return. While making adjustments I found the cable kinked causing excessive friction with the housing. Replaced the cable and the rear brake was back to its consistant excellent operating condition.

Great for the Weekend Warrior on up to the Amature Sport X-country racers. Not for the x-treme gravity freak.

I give the brake a VALUE rating of 5 Chilis. I got what I paid for 5 years ago. An excellent working component that is still reliable and hasn't gone out of style.

I give it an OVERALL rating of 4 Chilis. AMP should make an adaptor for compatiblity with the new standard Disk Mount. I want to install them on my next frame & fork what ever that may be.

Favorite Trail:   Markham Park

Similar Products Used:   Rim brakes but never tried any other disks yet.

Bike Setup:   AMP Research B3/F2/D1-fr&rr/XT/Control Tech

Submitted by Timmy a Cross Country Rider from Colorado

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2000

Strengths:    Very Very Lite! Extremely responsive and so far - low maintenance

Weaknesses:    Who is this company and why don't they market their products more? It seems all transactions happen over the Internet for me and I sometimes wonder if the are getting the order correct. So far I have been happy (or lucky).

Bottom Line:
Buy it, ride it, enjoy it..

Favorite Trail:   Colorado trail

Bike Setup:   OCLV, XTR, AMP F3 (21 lbs. total)

Submitted by Dave a Cross-Country Rider from Sydney Australia

Date Reviewed: November 28, 1999

Strengths:
design, weight, rear shimano hub adapter

Weaknesses:
fiddly set-up

Bottom Line:
The pads wore out incredibly fast until I took a diamond file to the cooling slots on the discs and chamfered ALL the edges. (about 60 hours work) The correct use of the strudel is critical and the run of the cable is also. Now I remove the caliper (one screw) weekly and clean/grease the pins (2 mins work), and I can say that these brakes are fantastic. If they came with chamfered discs and factory fitted, they would cost a lot more, but you can do it yourself. Be careful if you take a file to the discs, they will bend/warp if you dont do it on a flat surface. I think the avid levers work very well and provide better feel than the XTR's they replaced.

Oaks fire trail, Blue Mnts, Sydney

6 months

only rim brakes

AMP F3XC fork on KONA explosif 853. Avid ultimate levers

Submitted by goliath a Weekend Warrior from n/a

Date Reviewed: August 28, 1999

Strengths:
not really any, they took alot of weight outta my wallet though.

Weaknesses:
everything. expensive pieces of digestive tract. couldnt be worse. the breaking was good, till they began to lock up on downhills. then sometimes they decided not to work...at all. they were squeaky annoying, and getting in the way.

Bottom Line:
awful. dont waste your time or money on these...they appaer to be good till you see that they are really.....well......sucky. if i had a choice id give these a negative # of stars...but i have to chose one.

6 months

NORMAL GOOD BREAKS!

trek 540 XT (special modle)

Submitted by Birdman a cross-country rider from Princeton, NJ

Date Reviewed: October 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've had an AMP B-4 for about 3 years now, with the D-1 brakes and F-4 BLT fork. The brakes work great, with reasonable modulation and great power. I've just replaced the pads and return springs for the first time ($51 direct). The only other problem I had was leaking calipers, which AMP rebuilt free of charge. They are light, powerful brakes that don't fade or wear fast.

Submitted by Ben B a cross-country rider from Minn

Date Reviewed: September 1, 1998

Bottom Line:

I own a AMP B5 with the latest AMP brakes (go figure) fantastic, no fade, no binding, and beautiful... the floating design makes them perfect for removing wheels and for self adjusting...just nice...and these binders really work, in all conditions...The design follows what is used in high-end disc brake systems in automotive applications with the added benifit of a sealed system. The performance of the system is remarkable considering the size and weight plus the rotors are perfectly suited to the task. Some serious thought went into these brakes...nice work

Submitted by haesli.ch a cross-country rider from Davos, Switzerland

Date Reviewed: June 3, 1998

Bottom Line:

I had an AMP B4 with those discs and thought they were great. But only for the first 200 miles. Then the trouble started. After just a few long and steep descents there was air in the hydraulic calipers. Braking became very unpredictable. I changed both calipers 4 times (!) then I got rid of the bike.
The only answer I got from AMP was: just try to keep'em cooler!
That's not cool, that just sucks!

Submitted by James a cross-country rider from Maryland

Date Reviewed: February 13, 1998

Bottom Line:

I thought the brake was kick @@$. They also are great in the rain and all conditions for that matter. Only down side is the pad wear and they squeek. I'll never go back to traditional brakes. I don't have much else to say for these brakes, but I would in advise you to get them is you want exelent stopping power.

Submitted by Scott Russell a cross-country rider from Costa Mesa

Date Reviewed: November 4, 1997

Bottom Line:

The best set of brakes I ever had I'll never go back to rim grippers. Only down side is pad wear.

Submitted by S. Beaty a cross-country rider from NJ

Date Reviewed: November 3, 1997

Bottom Line:

Thought the brake was great! Very consistant feel and awesome in the rain.
It's powerful, great modulation, vitually no brake fade even on long
downhill runs.

Shimano Disc Brake Hose Compatibility

Question for the Shimano brake experts out there: I've got an old set of M765 disc brakes (silver color). The calipers and levers are in great shape but the hoses not so much. I'm having a tough time finding the old BH63 hose in the lengths that I need. Does anyone know if I can use the new Sh ... Read More »

Disc brake question

I just started riding a bike equipped with disc brakes. I was wondering if the brakes should be making any noises when applied. Almost like a hissing sound. Someone tried to tell me that they didn't sound right but I am not sure as this is my first bike with disc. Any info would be appreciated. Than ... Read More »

Old School Trek Y Frame disc brake adapter?

Hey all, Looking for some info from any old Trek Y frame owners -- that is if any even exist anymore ;) I am the designer of several 3D printable disc brake adapters for late model bikes that lack standard disk mounting tabs. Some recent info has lead me to believe some of the old Trek Y f ... Read More »

Shimano M596 hydraulic disc brake with resin pads and Shimano XTR RT97 rotors

Hi , I want to change my rotors from 160 to 180 rear .. I'm not sure if these whould be compatible with the m596 caliper any suggestions whould be appreciated Thanks !!!Read More »

Trick to reinstalling front wheel with disc brake straight?

Is there some trick other have found to getting your front wheel aligned back into the caliper straight???Read More »