Syncros Cranks Older Cranks

4.2/5 (46 Reviews)

Syncros Revolution Cranks

Submitted by Matt Hale a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA USA

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2002

Strengths:    Stiff. light, great Q Factor for bigger riders

Weaknesses:    Cheesy Stickers (okay I peel them off anyway) rust, a little expensive oh yeah and they do break!

Bottom Line:
I'm a Clydesdale and I love how stiff these cranks are. like other posters I dig the stiff cro moly feel. I like the stealthy black look once the cheapo stickers are removed. I like the wider q factor but it does make setting up the driveline a little tricky, gotta use a 112 or 113 BB if I remember (had a Syncros CroMo double) broke the axle now using Shimano. I don't like when the arm snaps at the pedal thread housing and impales itself into my calf. I don't like pedaling one footed for 6 miles with blood running down my leg and I really hate having a 3 inch gash sewed up in the ER. It happened right at the changeover to GT so it was hard getting a hold of them. Finally reached Peter (original guy behind Syncros) and he replaced it immediatly plus some extra parts as he knew these would be hard to come by. Well it's been a couple years and no trouble with it, my guessa bad weld at the joint caused a weak spot, gonna guess it was an anomoly and I have extra spyders and parts to last a while.

Favorite Trail:   my dirty little secret

Purchased At:   Jenson lon time ago

Similar Products Used:   XT, XTR, AC Forged, Race Face Turbines

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Truth, XTR Drivetrain 8 speed YEAH, Revolution Cranks, Syncros Stem, Thompson post, Avid Arch Supremes with Avid Mag levers, various wheels (King, White) and tires

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from West Chester, PA

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2002

Strengths:    Overall looks, stength, unique wide stance they give...

Weaknesses:    a little rust, double ti bottom bracket bit the big one, and oh yea, the cheasy Stickers that fell off during the first ride..

Bottom Line:
I've had these cranks since 98, the initial and only issue I have ever had with them was the spending extra for the Syncros double ti bottom bracket.. After not even a year, I was replacing it... Otherwise, the cranks themselves are tough as nails. I'm about 200 pounds and have always blasted downhills and do some jumping... Luckly, it doesn't look like the set I bought have the weaknesses mentioned in earlier reviews, (in which the cranks have actually snapped while riding uphills. ugh) I go through a bottom bracket every two years or so, and I hit uphills hard in addition to the jumping and downhills and have not had any problems with the cranks at all. It sounds kind of hit or miss, like there may have been a small percentage of cranks sold with some irregularities in the metals. Since Syncros and GT are now history, if you can get used Revolutions I would go for it. Its a semi-safe bet that any of the "problem cranks" would have been weeded out and busted by the original owners by this point, hopefully.. But that doesn't exactely sound too promising does it?.. Kind of makes you wonder how the company went out of business right? :) I'll wrap it up with: my Revolutions have been good to me, (as well as the Syncros Ti-seatpost). As for but the Stem I just ordered from Supergo for $10, I think the price speaks for itself... I'll probably make it into a nice toilet paper dispenser for my bathroom, (as my bike shop has warned me about buying (and using) -any- new closeout Syncros parts, mainly because it is a bunch of garbage..) To clarify, the pre-98 (pre-GT buyout) Syncros parts are supposed to be awesome. Quality control apparentely went down hill after sending production from Canada to Taiwan, (or whereever)... suprise suprise...

Favorite Trail:   Wissahickon

Purchased At:   Guys Bikes, Trevose PA

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX

Bike Setup:   95 fisher mt tam

Submitted by steve a Cross Country Rider from boulder

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2002

Strengths:    light,responsive,stiff....for a while anyway

Weaknesses:    snapped driveside arm at midpoint no longer produced

Bottom Line:
always wanted these cranks and was very happy with them till they broke on an uphill.....yeah that's right ,an uphill climb did them in now to be fair, i must tell you that i am not a groomed path rider i tend to favor technically challenging terrain and i weigh 210
still a disheartening occurence made all the more annoying by the fact that they are no longer produced and as a result couldn't be warranteed also a word to any current owners; obtain some spider/crank bolts as the syncros design doesn't accept standard c.r.bolts

Favorite Trail:   anything technical

Similar Products Used:   too many to list

Submitted by Andreas a Cross Country Rider from Tucson

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2002

Strengths:    looks, Stiffness, strength, durability

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
great cranks, I would definitely recommend them to others.
Strong, light, instantly responsive, they make their presence noted merely by connecting you to the rest of the bike and transferring maximum power to the wheels.

Favorite Trail:   Fantasy Island

Purchased At:   Came with Bike

Similar Products Used:   all kinds of crappy cranks

Bike Setup:   99 Homegrown Pro, Syncros, Hugi hubs, XTR everything else

Submitted by glen from santa fe, nm usa

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2001

Strengths:    Super stiff, very well made

Weaknesses:    Wider stance / BB driveline fussy set-up

Bottom Line:
I'm a big guy, 200 pounds (was bigger!) and these cranks are solid! E - Type BB's make it a pain to get chainline perfect with wider spindle... but it was worth the effort!

I got these from cambria as a warranty replacement for some IRD cranks that snapped within a week of buying 'em

Purchased At:   cambria bike

Similar Products Used:   xt, bullseye, specialized strongarm

Bike Setup:   2000 specialized fsr enduro, z-1x fly 100, syncros steel cranks!

Submitted by Pete a Cross Country Rider from Spokane

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2001

Strengths:    Incredibly stiff, cool "cho-chi" factor, Bomb proof

Weaknesses:    rust, I'll have to repaint them before I ever get rid of them

Bottom Line:
I fell in love with these the 1st time I saw them and had to buy them. I raced 2 sport class seasons down in San Antonio on them and have pushed them hard for the 4+ years I have owned them. They are incredibly strong. I have never felt them flex. I have weighed 220 lbs down to my current 185 lbs so, they've had their fair share of weight on them. I primarily do cross country trails but have bombed down some intense hills with these. I will NEVER get rid of them, they are that good. Some people complain about the price but I've put 4+ years on them with no end in sight. In the long haul they'll pay for themselves.

Favorite Trail:   Riverside ST. park, spokane WA

Purchased At:   San Antonio BS

Similar Products Used:   XT, raceface

Bike Setup:   Marin, XTR, XT, good ol' FSX Judy (still the lightest fork out there)

Submitted by Arthur Krikorian a Weekend Warrior from Toronto

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2001

Strengths:    rigid light and looks Great

Weaknesses:    non

Bottom Line:
got it 6 or 7 years ago off the distributer
mine is a nivacrome prototype it is lighter than the production renolds units incredible product will never sell
after all these years the threds on the spyder striped so i
driled them and put crank nuts in works great

Favorite Trail:   Seaton Valey

Purchased At:   from a freind

Similar Products Used:   Race face

Bike Setup:   klien Mantra mavic cross max xtr everything else erikson ti bb sid 98 forks

Submitted by Marcus Van Kommer a Weekend Warrior from Yakima, Washington USA

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2001

Strengths:    cromoly, stiff, strong, fairly light

Weaknesses:    price and they are no longer made

Bottom Line:
one word - cromoly
The ones I have are not for sale, not to anybody

Similar Products Used:   shimano, raceface

Bike Setup:   nice for me

Submitted by Crazy Bit#$ a Weekend Warrior from NY

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2001

Strengths:    -Chromoly,just like my old Profiles
-STIFFEST CRANK I HAVE EVER USED
-Bombproof
-Cool looks

Weaknesses:    -Rust
-I don't know if these babies are still being made...
-Pricey
-High Q-factor(?)

Bottom Line:
These were on my friend's Sobo..

When I first hammered hard on these buggers,I COULD FEEL THEM FLEX THE REAR CHAINSTAYS!!They are that stiff!Amazing power transfer makes any forged aluminum crank feel like a wet noodle!!
This is an older Syncros crank('99),so I don't know if it still being made.Whatever the case,if you want a kickass crank for hammerin' on,this is IT.

Similar Products Used:   Truvativ Stylo,Shimano LX('00 and '98 models)

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from TX

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2000

Strengths:    stiff as hell..if you've ridden forged alu cranks your knees will have to ajust

Weaknesses:    they're not pretty but I'd rather have something I can trust
than good looks in this case

Bottom Line:
i had a set in the larger standard bolt pattern...hairline cranks developed in the "power plate"from the crank bolt holes down twards the spindle..called syncros took them to a authorized local dealer..couple weeks later a brand new set in compact pattern didn't cost a thing except for the drive back and forth from the shop but this was right before they sold out to GT so...anyways no problems with these so far..oh and the decals rubbing off..so what? people who know bikes will know what they are with out the lettering you know? "Q factor".yeah they "felt" funny for a while but you get used to it and foget about it.. I mean syncros says 117mm bb in the past I use cranks with 107 110mm so at most 5mm each side tops..if you ride alot you can feel the difference right away like i did..but you get used to it..
ride revolutions for a month then ride a bike with forged alu raceface kooka boonies great cranks but they will feel a little mushy

Similar Products Used:   kooka bonnies xtr

Bike Setup:   owl hollow magura xtr 121's

Submitted by Bill a Cross Country Rider from Redmond, WA

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2000

Strengths:    Stiff, light, look trick.

Weaknesses:    Q-Factor!! (or at least I think that's what it's referred to as...) These cranks require a significantly wider pedalling stance than other cranks.

Bottom Line:
I went with all syncros components on the new frame and so far the are the only thing I'm disappointed with. They're really stiff, but the wider pedalling stance slows me down-- it just doesn't feel the same hammering these as it does when riding a normal set of cranks. Recommendation: give these a try before you buy them, if the wider stance doesn't bother you then go for'em else go with another set.

Favorite Trail:   Puget Sound Energy Trail

Similar Products Used:   Cook Bros E, Race Face LP

Bike Setup:   Yeti ARC, All syncros components

Submitted by YoMan a Cross Country Rider from Oakland

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2000

Strengths:    sleek looks, lightweight

Weaknesses:    durability

Bottom Line:
I bought these cranks because of my previous experience with Syncros products (stem and seatpost) which has been very positive. I also bought them against the advice of my LBS owner, who is a Syncros Dealer. His opinion was that the Shimano products are superior. I now know him to be correct in his opinion. About a month into riding the cranks the left crank arm began to bend inward, this bend progressed over the following twelve months until eventually the arm scraped against my chainstays, I replaced with my old XT cranks and I really haven't noticed any difference in performance except for the fact that I'm not constantly looking down at my bottom bracket worried about what's going on down there. I wrote Syncros a letter when this happened in 9/99 but haven't heard back from them. I'm not totally unhappy with Syncros, I think they offer some great products, but to spend this large of an amount of money the product should have been a little more durable. With the new hollowtech XT cranks that Shimano has out, Syncros and other boutique crank mfg's. are going to have a rough go of it.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT, XTR; Cook Bros

Bike Setup:   Yo Eddy, Shimano XT/XTR mixed, Syncros Seatpost and Stem, and a good old Manitou4 upfront(anybody have good quality fork with 1" steerer they want to get rid of?)

Submitted by JB a Cross Country Rider from VT

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2000

Strengths:    stealth looks
good for super liteweights

Weaknesses:    black revolutions...they deteriorate internally and will eventually snap

Bottom Line:
I broke them while climbing xc. i weigh 160 and dont jump.
syncros never returned 5 emails! i bought xtr, waywayway better. overhyped is syncros! I had the black revolutions (steel),,they snapped right between the N and the C after one year on an xc race bike.
If I were them id snap too. I would put em on a roadbike though

3 stars for stealthy looks

Favorite Trail:   VT

Similar Products Used:   white ind
xtr
xt

Bike Setup:   many

Submitted by Eric H. a Cross Country Rider from Fayetteville, Ar, USA

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2000

Strengths:    The crank is the stiffest one i have ever tried.

Weaknesses:    The company sucks. I road these cranks for two weeks around town, didn't even get to hit the trail when i realized that the power disc was bent, i sent them back to syncros and they told me that there was nothing wrong with them. I am a mechanic at the local shop, and i know when my crank is bent. the moral of the story is that syncros the once great company from Canada has bowed to the evil empire and joined forces with GT. what a shame. I was really dissappointed that I was treated the way I was.

Bottom Line:
be very leary about any syncros product that is bought in the future. The products are generally great, but the company won't stand behind it's warranty, which for these cranks is two years against overload and fatigue, and five years for manufacturers defects. I bought the works, syncros double row, ti spindled bb, and the rings to go with the cranks, i dropped some cash, but syncros won't stand behind their product.
-side note, i had never had a problem with syncros products in the past and everybody i have ever talked to has loved those cranks. The warranty guys just can't do their job.

Favorite Trail:   The Headwaters at the Buffalo River, Arkansas

Similar Products Used:   none.

Bike Setup:   '94 fat chance, personally hand built wheels, avid v-brakes, formally syncros bb, cranks, and rings. XT rd, XTR fd, ect..

Submitted by Ken a Weekend Warrior from Oshawa,Ontario

Date Reviewed: December 1, 1999

Strengths:
Canadian company,stiff as a morning piss heart on.

Weaknesses:
Finish,syncros stickers peeled off after 2 years.

Bottom Line:
Bad ass Canadian company making bad ass bicycle products.I bought this crank off my friend after he finished riding for the season. He went with XTR causes he has to have everything shimano, now I have the best crank in the world. I've owned it for two years and it performs to the standards that meet my satisfaction easily.

Durham Forest ( 3 rocks)