Race Face Crank Older Cranks

4.53/5 (385 Reviews)

Race Face Turbine LP Crankset

Submitted by Scott a Downhiller from Milford, MA, US

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2004

Strengths:    Good Quality

Weaknesses:    Flex

Bottom Line:
I have a Ellsworth Dare DH bike with XTR Cranks on it. I use the Race Face Cranks on my XC bike setup. I ride to work everyday except when it's snowing. I have noticed that the cranks do loosen up every few weeks or so from heavy riding. There is a ton of flex but mostly from my old Frame I suspect. I like the Race Face Cranks on the XC setup. They do need attention quite often unlike the XTR Cranks which really take a beating and I have never taken a wrench to them except for cleaning. I still like the Race Face Cranks. I have never had any problems with them except the Crank Bolts and I use a torq on everything. If your on the heavier side and don't want to pull out your tools every few weeks and want a solid crank setup go with XTR. They are very good. If you don't mind tunning your bikes and want a good quality setup Race Face fits the bill. I like both of them for there applications. I have changed the crank arm bolts on the Race Face Cranks and have seen a great improvement. I ordered all new bolts from Beyondbikes and they have done the trick. Hope this helps anyone in the market for cranks. Have a safe and happy ride. /sc

Favorite Trail:   Vietnam

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   XTR

Bike Setup:   M800 Frame with XT components and Sid Fork. Thompson Stem and Kore bars. Race Face Cranks and Headset. Race Face Ti bottom bracket.

Submitted by dan roberts from fremont, ca

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2004

Strengths:    for a square tapered crank these are remarkably strong, i took numerous drops on these cranks and they are still perfect minus some shoe rub. absolutly bullet proof.

Bottom Line:
if it says race face on it then it's worth every penny. i traded my square turbines for some profile ss cranks but i can see myself picking up a couple more sets of these cranks when i can afford to do so.

Favorite Trail:   city streets

Purchased At:   they were given to me

Similar Products Used:   deore, lx, xt, race face next lp, race face turbine isis, race face prodigy dh, race face north shore, turvtiv hussefelts and truvativ five d

Bike Setup:   these cranks were on 2 bikes. i put them on my buddies bike first and that's were they took there abuse and then they went on my fetish until i got the isis turbines.

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2002

Strengths:    Off the hook stiff! Tough and durable, worth every penny! No chain suck! Captures every onuce of power you can produce, makes a huge difference climbing!

Weaknesses:    NONE! I've been very tough on my cranks in the past, and have replaced nearly every set I've ever owned. Only wished I'd discovered RaceFace sooner!

Bottom Line:
Raceface components are of top quality. Cranks should not be overlooked as a componet upgrade, best decision I ever made for my Klien. My Klien now feels complete!

Similar Products Used:   LX, XT cranks

Bike Setup:   2000 Klien Attitude Comp. Upgraded to RaceFace cranks, stem seat post. XTR shifters, derailers. Avid brakes and Bontragger wheels.

Submitted by BOB a Cross Country Rider from Marysville CA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2002

Strengths:    Very stiff. Simply put durable.

Weaknesses:    First small chain ring on crank wore out quickly.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 2000 9 speed tapered spline. I was looking for cranks when I upgraded to 9 speed and was reluctant to go splined shimano so I spent the extra money to buy Race face tapered (WAS SKEPTICAL OF NEW TECHNOLOGY). I am very pleased with the cranks. They easily have over 3500 miles which is a conservitive guess. I have replaced the 22 tooth ring twice and the 32 and 44 rings once due to wear and missing teeth on the 44. I am a trail rider who enjoys technical riding and I jump a little. I feel for what I wanted the crank for it has surpassed my needs. I upgraded a to 9 speed a little over 2 years ago and the cranks is one of the few things that have not worn out. The cranks have seen 3 bottom brackets and hope they will see three more.

Favorite Trail:   South Yuba

Purchased At:   CAMBRIA

Similar Products Used:   Shimano and Specialized

Bike Setup:   S/C Superlight Race face cranks,XT drive train,Avid 7 brakes.Thomson post and stem. 517 rims w/ XTR hubs.

Submitted by George Mason a Weekend Warrior from Winnipeg

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2002

Strengths:    Stiff, good looking, Made in BC were they know what tough means

Weaknesses:    not free

Bottom Line:
I love these cranks. My first real bike had low end shimano units on it and I thought they were ok, then I got the FSR and the Specialized cranks blew me away in comparison. After 2 years of abuse I got a deal on a set of RF LPs and they made the strongarms look like wet noodles.

I have been toasting bb at a rate of 1-2 a year so I am switching to ISSIS drive in two weeks and a set of RF Prodigy DH. I just hope that they meet the expectations that the LPs gave me about RF stuff. BTW the LPs are still going strong and will be put on my nephews bike.

Favorite Trail:   Bromont (all the Down Hill ones

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stongarm and low end shimano

Bike Setup:   99 FSR, RF LP cranks, 2000 JR T, rhino lite rear, Mavic D521 front, Tioga 2.3 DH, RF Good n Evil grips, XT 6" disc front, XT front hub, Specialized rear hub, Tioga Multi Control saddle LX front der, XT rear der, and LX Shifters.

Submitted by PM a Cross Country Rider from PARK CITY, UT USA

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2002

Strengths:    PRODIGY crankset, not the LP...
Race Face makes it. Price is reasonable for a taiwan crank,
Works awesome when you finally get em dialed in..

Weaknesses:    Race Face is still having tolerance problems with the ISIS
system. Many, including myself, have not been able to
tighten the crank all the way against the "stop" flange,
which messes up the chainline. With my 2ND pair, My fix was to crank hard on the bolts after every ride. Eventually, the cranks seated. I bought TWO pairs! Why? I bought the 1st set, followed the directions which said grease the INSIDE threads of the bb spindle. Never heard of this before, but dutifully did it, with disasterous results. NOT!! The bolts backed out, and even after checking them a number of times the 1st ride, they continued to come loose, and it ruined the spline interface. Now I have a $100 set of extra chainrings. WHY RF said to grease the spindle threads is beyond me, but I did it against what my experience told me, and they were ruined cause they loosened and screwed up the splines. Can you say LOCKTITE the spindle threads like I wanted to do in the first place? I will attempt to get the 1st pair warrantied because of this kind of mis-information supplied by RF themselves in their own install directions.

Bottom Line:
The Taiwan-version (PRODIGY) of the LP's are a great buy
if you get em set up right. Stiff and functional. the ISIS
versions are still getting the bugs worked out, and the tolerances on the PRODIGY crank are not quite up to RF quality, but in the end, the system will be fine-tuned.
The only problem with these PRODIGY cranks are the directions, which mis-inform you to grease the spindle bolts, which will for sure back out and lead to the total destruction of your new crankset. LOCKTITE EM, and continue to tighten them every ride until they seat.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   pricepoint...

Similar Products Used:   all/every.

Bike Setup:   doesn't matter...

Submitted by Dave Weber a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2002

Strengths:    Stiff, Light, Durable

Bottom Line:
When it comes to cranks, I think that you just want some that are pretty light and stiff and that don't crack or bend. People who are complaining about creaking..well...any crank will creak if you don't clean the bbracket spindle where the crank arm attaches. You need to clean that, maybe a lil' sandpaper, when it starts to creak! That's all!

Favorite Trail:   Mush Trail

Purchased At:   Bicycle Ambulance

Similar Products Used:   I dunno...nothing as good

Bike Setup:   Hard Tail, Nice Parts

Submitted by Bill a Cross Country Rider from Virginia

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2002

Weaknesses:    Service

Bottom Line:
I lost the 16 mm bolts and the spacers that hold on the granny gear so I went to my LBS to buy them. They called Raceface and Raceface service dept told them that they wouldn't sell them to me and that I should buy a new pair of cranks. I guess RaceFace wants to be Shimano so bad that they don't care about service any more. I think that a company should support its products that are out in the field. They no longer use the 16 mm bolts and spacers to attach the small chain ring but they did up until a year ago. As for buying another set of cranks...sure I will...from FSA or Truvative.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Truvativ

Submitted by Bobo D. Clown a Cross Country Rider from L.A.

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2002

Strengths:    Strength, weight, looks. Very high reading on the Coolness Factor Scale brother!

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
These cranks really are worth the cash. I liked the Kookas also but my LBS had these in stock; its always nice to actually be able to look at something before shelling out the dinero. No problems whatsoever since I had them installed. Expensive yeah, but the what the hell, Bobo's not gettin any younger and getting tired of riding the LX crap that comes on most of my frames. If you ride hard you'll appreciate the difference. I'm sure other high end cranks work well but coming from LX cranks I felt the weight loss and the stiffness gained. They come in many cool colors. I got black because yellow didn't quite match the yellow on my frame.

I haven't had ANY of the loosening, creaking, shifting or chain suck problems written in a few of the reviews but with 300 plus reviews some of those are more than likely errors in set up. 5 havelinos. Cool Stuff Raceface.

Favorite Trail:   Bobo is often spotted on most local trails

Similar Products Used:   lx, lx hollowtech, suntour xc-pro (oh yeah!) and race face turbine lp (easily the best)

Bike Setup:   Bobo's Custom Dakar: 2002 Dakar w/ AD-12, Marzocchi MXC, Thompson Stem, Azonic bars, Raceface cranks, XT components.

Submitted by Derek Snow a Cross Country Rider from Mill Valley

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2002

Strengths:    Stiff, light, sexy, shift smoothe as buttah.

Weaknesses:    Spendy

Bottom Line:
These are the best cranks money can buy. Lifetime warranty, no performance problems, handsome as hell. If you are a top level racer, you might consider going with the next LPs to shave a few grams, but for anyone else who loves to ride, these are the cranks to have.

Favorite Trail:   Skegg's Point

Purchased At:   Big Swingin' Cycles

Similar Products Used:   LX, XT, Topline

Bike Setup:   Ibis Szazbo, Raceface, Chris King, Bomber, Atacs, XT, XTR

Submitted by scott a Cross Country Rider from austin-texas

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2002

Strengths:    ridged,ridged,ridged-ohh sooo PRETTY!!!!!! really top quality.

Weaknesses:    price,Price,PRICE!!!!!!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
you get what you pay for.hard to justify the price-but worth it.i held of for a long time but glad i laid the bucks down.i weigh 190 and these things don't even know i'm there!i'm a better rider because of them.wish i would have got them a long time ago!

Purchased At:   local bike shop