Pyro Carbon Fiber Cranks Older Cranks

4.12/5 (51 Reviews)

Pyro Carbon Fiber Cranks

Submitted by J AYALA a Weekend Warrior from BROOKLYN

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2002

Strengths:    Stiff and Light!
Customer service(@gigantex) is great!

Weaknesses:    The original set I purchased had a flaw at the pedal mount threading.

Bottom Line:
The Original set had the flaw described by almost everyone who wrote a review here. But since talking to Steve Lee @ Gigantex, I was assured the the flaw was fixed and that the new cranks won't have this problem and they also come with a 3 year warranty. I have been using the new set for 6 months now and have not had one problem. I check everyday to see if there's anything out of place ,but have not found anything yet. I'm happy with the new set I recieved From Gigantex.
Will Let you know in the future how they are holding up.

Purchased At:   Bills bikes(now out of biz)

Bike Setup:   95 Mongoose Rockadile frame and stem.
WTB Momentum GG headset and hubs.
WTB Laser rims.
Manitou SXr fork.
Sram 9.0sl Shifters and Derailer.
Sram 9.0 Brake system.
Gore Ride on gear and brake cables.
Shimano XT cog.
2001 Gigantex Carbon CRANK W/Race Face rings

Rolhoff SLT99 chain

Submitted by Flanny a Cross Country Rider from Ottawa

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2000

Strengths:    Very cool.

Weaknesses:    They break

Bottom Line:
Same failure as below, juts happened this weekend. I was also lucky in that I noticed the loose pedal ono a pre ride inspection! (whew!)

Until this weekend I thought the cranks were awesome! But if they break...That's no good. Anyway OGD is supposed to warantee them so....I'll see how quickly I get them back.

Similar Products Used:   Race Face, Shimano

Bike Setup:   K2 4500C, carbon everything

Submitted by Stephen a Racer from Quebec

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2000

Strengths:    Look good, Stiff

Weaknesses:    They Break !

Bottom Line:
I Finally got new ones after 2 MONTH of waiting. !!
I should have bought XTR !!!

Favorite Trail:   Bromont / Mont St-Anne

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT

Submitted by Haoming Chang a Racer from MI

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2000

Strengths:    look cool, stiff(when not broken), eat shock well

Weaknesses:    they break!!!

Bottom Line:
they lasted through some crazy riding, but int he end they BROKE and BROKE is not good-

dont buy them bc they break, buy ones liek FSA's /RF that DONT break- theyre really stiff and feel really good when not broken- if u hae any ques about parts email me

supermoose@hotmail.com

peace

Favorite Trail:   moab rim

Similar Products Used:   RF lp's, kooka forged and non forged, ionic :), carumba double barrel, ultegra, XTR, XT, tioga revolver

Bike Setup:   crazy stuff- curtlo 24hour frame, king HS, marzocchi Z-2 atomBAM w/ rcr and S-fly crown, hope disc, hayes(crap) disc rear, ringle disc-o-tek wheels(weak and heavy), thomson post, sdg saddle, ESP 9.0 SL drive, easton monkeylite bar, xtr front der, xt bb, time pedals, mad crazy tire combos.

Submitted by Stephen a Racer from Quebec

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2000

Strengths:    Light. Look good

Weaknesses:    Don't last !!

Bottom Line:
Note that I bought mine in Canada. They are sold in Canada by O.G.C.. I'm certain that they are the same but they have the OGC logo on them.
I was satisfied with this product until this weekend. My cranks exhibited the same failure to others here -- the pedal mount delaminated from the crank body. We will see how the company handles my warranty issue and I'll repost.

Favorite Trail:   Bromont, Mt St-Anne

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Procaliber, Time Atac carbon, XTR brakes, Crossmax Wheels, 9.0 Brake level and derailleur, Manitou sxr.

Submitted by Joe Gledhill a Racer from Anderson Island, WA

Date Reviewed: December 6, 1999

Strengths:
Weight, looks, stiffness

Weaknesses:
Creaky, material failure, poor design

Bottom Line:
Watch out! My cranks recently exhibited a similar failure to others here -- the pedal mount delaminated from the crank body. It's a total material failure -- something I've NEVER seen in a crank, or any part in recent memory. The cranks are creaky even when tightening with grease and over-torquing. We will see how the company handles my warranty issue and I'll repost.

Devil's Gulch

Raceface, Coda, Syncros

Cannondale Raven

Submitted by MattN. a Downhiller from Bozeman, MT

Date Reviewed: September 22, 1999

Strengths:
Looks
Light

Weaknesses:
EVERYTHING!

Bottom Line:
These things really are pieces of junk. Unless they have drastically updated this design, the cranks blow! Why am I so pissed? I was bunnyhopping a curb, and when I came down on the pedal, it ripped the entire insert out (see posts below). They aren't just FALLING OUT! The supposedly forged Al rod is really just two thin bars of what appear to be magnesium that shear VERY easily (see my review of the Manitou Pro fork. Same exact shear pattern). The carbon is just glued around the insert, so it provides very little strength or stability. I'm still picking shards of carbon fiber out of my leg, from when it slid down the crank after breaking. And I only weigh 170 pounds, which is the worst part of it. Maybe they ought to sell this as a race-day only part. It'd just be easier for them to send me a refund, because when I get my new cranks from Nytex, I'm just going to go and sell them, so I can buy the cranks that I should have in the first place- Race Face. If nothing else than the pretty colors, at least Al cranks bend instead of shattering into your leg.I'd give these cranks negatives flaming piles of cow dung if I could.

North Shore

'99 Z1 BAM
No cranks right now.

Submitted by Lane Halmes a Cross-Country Rider from Salt Lake

Date Reviewed: September 12, 1999

Strengths:
Looks
Weight

Weaknesses:
None...so far

Bottom Line:
I got these from Bills Bikes for $150 shipped fed-ex COD. I guess they are selling their remaining stock at $150.00shipped. These are good cranks and I don't have any complaints so far. I think I am going to be happy with them judging by the rest of the reviews. Bills Bikes was hard to get ahold of but at $150.00 I am glad I did.

less than 1 month

basic s-works m-4

Submitted by bikenh a Cross-Country Rider from lebanon, nh

Date Reviewed: September 11, 1999

Strengths:
looks

Weaknesses:
delivery
customer support
durability

Bottom Line:
Finished dead last in a 22 mile cross countryl race after the aluminium insert for the left pedal fell out 8 miles into the race. When it fell out the pedal also went for a ride and is now lost in the weeds somewhere. I hope they get replaced under warranty. To bad I couldn't get reimbursed for one pedal also. PLEASE NOTE:
There is another review similiar to this below...insert pulling out.

Gas Can Randolph VT

3 months

LX

M800 all XTR except cranks and rings.

Submitted by James Buckle a Cross-Country Rider from Wigan

Date Reviewed: August 31, 1999

Strengths:
Rigidity, weight, impact resistance.

Weaknesses:
Non found so far

Bottom Line:
Brilliant product, well worth the price - which isn't all that bad in the first place!

Les Arcs 2130m to Seez 800m, the Alps, France

XTR cranks, FSA Sidewinder

7005 alu hardtail, manitou answers. XTR drivechain (Except cranks)

Submitted by Pup a Weekend Warrior from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: August 26, 1999

Strengths:
Direct support from mfr. in UK

Bottom Line:
IF YOUR CRANKS ARE GIVING OUT, YOU CAN GET DIRECT SUPPORT FROM THE MANUFACTURER!Email either of these gents: Steve (steve@nytex.com.tw) or Deano (duerkop@camalott.com). Either of them will get you set up with a warranty replacement.Rumour has it that BillsBikes is defaulting on payment to the manufacturer, and won't be providing them anymore. However the two gents from Gigantex appear to be extremely helpful and attentive; I got an email back within an hour.

tested or demo'ed only

Submitted by Tryad Vador a Weekend Warrior from Zion Ill

Date Reviewed: August 8, 1999

Strengths:
price,looks

Weaknesses:
spider,cuctomer service

Bottom Line:
The cranks looked ok except a couple of flaws where they didnt get excess off(no big deal)I recieved them in the mail quickly enough.I had my local bike shop install them. They informed me that the spider was warped.At wich time I gave them the # to call bills bikes ,they did with no reply So I tryed for three weeks with no reply then finaly received a message from them saying for a new spider it would cost me 20.00 So much for there warantee and customer service.SO I emailed them and told them it was defective (again) No reply and Im still waiting .This has gone on now for over 4 months please do your buisiness else where.I thought it was a good value and I was helping the little guy,well from now on Im sticking with the big fish.Im gonna kiss my 200.00 away and buy ZIPP carbon cranks(at least a company that stands behind there product.

3 months

shimano xt

k-2 ozx noleen carbon front fork lp downhill bars and seat post spin rims xt rapidfire shifters,brakes and drivetrane,frog peddles giro nissine saddle kore b52 stem criss king headset and these meesed up cranks.

Submitted by Jeff Malkowicz a Cross-Country Rider from Chicago

Date Reviewed: August 6, 1999

Strengths:
Nice Looks
stiffness
weight
Price

Weaknesses:
no glossy finish
no local dealers

Bottom Line:
I don't know why all the flames are burning this place to a crisp, I have had these cranks for a while now and havn't had any problems except for the occasional tightening. They are stiff, and the look really nice. I have abused them without any creaking or breaking. And I received pretty quickly from Bills Bikes. I didn't have any problems with anything, good solid product, and cheaper than the FSA's that look like the same thing.I would give 4.5 just because they don't come glossy

Anything with dirt

1 Year

just other non carbon cranks

Stumpjumper S-Works
Manitou Carbon

Submitted by Shaun Green a Cross-Country Rider from Tulsa OK

Date Reviewed: August 1, 1999

Weaknesses:
These cranks suck... The quality stinks and mine like the review before mine also fell apart in the exact same place... This is a BIG RIP-OFF and so is Bill's bike's that sold them to me... I can kiss my money goodbye...

Bottom Line:
STAY AWAY FROM THIS VERY INFERIOR PRODUCT OR TRY THEM YOURSELF IF YOU LIKE THE LOOKS AND YOU DON'T RIDE MUCH... IF YOU DO RIDE A LOT AND HARD THEN FORGET THESE LIGHTWEIGHTS.... ONE STAR BECAUSE SOMETHING HAS TO BE GIVEN...

6 months

I ride HILLS and MOUNTAINS on a custom built road bike. We just did the ride the Rockies tour and I ride about 150 miles a week on an average...

Submitted by ned a Cross-Country Rider from boulder

Date Reviewed: July 20, 1999

Strengths:
cool looking, competetively light, stiff,

Weaknesses:
FELL APART!,
high-ish Q-factor

Bottom Line:
Fell apart w/ no provocation. The aluminum pedal insert delaminated from the carbon. Happily, self-destruction was gradual (was able to ride 15 miles out before pedal finally detached completely), thanks to the aluminum skeleton which runs the length of the crank inside the carbon. Loved these cranks until this weekend. Will attempt to get 'em replaced on warranty. Hopefully this was just a freak occurence. I will give 'em 1 more shot. One star, to counter my previous (under another alias) 5-star review. Never broken any crank before, and I am not happy.

Shimano, Rhino