Caramba Crank Older Cranks

4.5/5 (44 Reviews)

Caramba Double Barrel Cranks

Submitted by Metalhead a Racer from San Diego, Ca.

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2010

Strengths:    Super tough

Weaknesses:    Kind of squeaky

Bottom Line:
Really dig the 180 mm, they seem to be tough enough for me jumping on and off anything I can find in the city and the forest. I use the Power Lite 180 mm on one Free Agent Limo and Caramba 180 mm on another Free Agent Limo and they both keep up with my play style. Of coarse there are always those cases when the product was made on a Monday morning or Friday afternoon when the builder is in la la land but over all a great product. If you are looking for a 3 piece crank set you wont have to replace, try to find some of these.I am thinking about getting another set of double barrels so both bikes have them.
Any body know where to find a set in polished aluminum or black (new)

Favorite Trail:   ! The Streets !

Purchased At:   Friend

Similar Products Used:   Power Lite 3 piece cranks

Bike Setup:   2 Free Agent Limo 24" cruisers

Submitted by e a Cross Country Rider from RI

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2008

Strengths:    AWESOME CRANKS, but...

Weaknesses:    None before this weekend! Left crank exploded (literally) into about 1000 shards or metal during the landing of a < 2 foot drop. They have been flawless up until now and I would definitley buy another set. Just a word of warning!

Bottom Line:
Caramba cranks is a great product (I think). Just be find full of taking a drop or riding DH with technical bumps and dolls heads. Again a good product, would buy again, but blew one up during "normal" riding.

Favorite Trail:   resurrection, AK

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT and XTR

Bike Setup:   Bontrager Cro-Moly Frame, XTR front and rear, ceramic rims, carbon bar, Marzochi Z3 fork, Chris King silenced hubs, DEAN titanium seatpost, Race Face stem, Salsa skews and Oury grips

Submitted by loonyOne a Cross Country Rider from Waterloo, IA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2004

Strengths:    Ultra stiff, especially laterally
One of a kind cool looks
Bombproof at this point

Weaknesses:    Problems with the spider's machining...the spider arms are not machined exactly, as far as the mounting of the chainrings. I ended up adding beer can shims underneath the chainrings in a couple of spots, and a couple of different thicknesses.
Not made anymore!

Bottom Line:
Other than the machining 'defect', I have had ZERO problems with these crank arms. They are the stiffest crank arms I personally have ever owned. I had some Race Face Turbines that were stiff as well, but I really didn't like the lateral flex that they had at the 180 length. I have used the Magic Motorcycle cranks by way of my brother's bike, and they are the only other cranks that I have used that I have noticed zero flex in. I'm sure that there are stiffer crank arms out there, but definitely none with the attitude the Double Barrels have.

Favorite Trail:   Ulrich & Sugarbottom

Purchased At:   theped.com

Similar Products Used:   Race Face Turbines, Ritchey Logic, Coda Magic Motorcycle, multiple, lesser Shimano and Sugino as well.

Bike Setup:   Bontrager Race, single speed, Skareb fork, Avid brakes, Velocity/White Industries wheelset (first hand-built set)

Submitted by Anthony G a Weekend Warrior from Santa Rosa, CA

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2004

Strengths:    Looks---nothing looks cooler. Stiff, strong fairly light, and LOOKS!!! I got anodized orange which turn heads.

Weaknesses:    None- Not in business anymore

Bottom Line:
Buy them if you can find them. These cranks rock, they are stiff fairly light they look beyond awsome. They are not cheap but I would pay double what I paid and still be happy.

On the 1-5 Chili rating these are a 10+

Favorite Trail:   Anwhere :)

Purchased At:   Bicyclehub.net

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Sugino

Bike Setup:   Pre 97 GT Agressor Manitou shocks, Rhynolite rims(Black) Cramba Double Barrel cranks Kooka Rings All XT drive train, Sram Attack shifters, USE seat post, Selle Flight gel, Time Attak Pedals Precision Billet Brakes

Submitted by weather expert a Cross Country Rider from iowa

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2003

Strengths:    stiff. reasonable weight. good looks.

Weaknesses:    no longer made.

Bottom Line:
excellent cranks. when i built my single speed i decided to stay away from isis for a while to let the manufacturers figure out the bearing thing. i believe the hollow crankarm design is superior to a solid piece of metal (unless it's cold forged), but i don't like the incompatibility issue with shimano cranks. so i went with square taper and was fortunate enough to run into a deal from The Pedaler (highly recommended, the owner is very helpful).

to be honest i really dig the way these cranks look. but when i'm doing all the standup gear mashing associated with single speeding, the only thing that i care is how stiff they are. double barrels didn't disappoint. i feel they are at least as stiff as the raceface turbines that i used for a while. no creaks either.

too bad they aren't made anymore. if you run into a deal on these, jump on it! (or let me know).

Purchased At:   theped.com

Similar Products Used:   kooka bonnie xc, raceface turbine, prodigy isis, sugino, etc

Bike Setup:   rigid SS w/ EBB. 175mm double barrels (YEAH!), spot ring, time z and UN72

Submitted by donn escario a Cross Country Rider from atlanta, GA USA

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2003

Strengths:    beautiful machine work, eye-catching design, lightweight, stiff, durable

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I've had these cranks since '96/'97, and they're still as sweet as the day I bought 'em! ..excellent power transfer while keeping things light. Even though I ride aggressive cross-country, as opposed to freeriding etc., I've seen my fair share of jumps and drop-offs, and these cranks are still the sweetest.. I give 'em 10 chilis, burning in agony just to show how much I love these cranks!

Favorite Trail:   Gambrill State Park/Watershed, MD

Purchased At:   $150

Similar Products Used:   none like them

Bike Setup:   Mountain Cycle San Andreas, discs, Marzocchi Marathon SL

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Longmont, CO

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2002

Strengths:    Light, stiff, strong, purty, durable*

Weaknesses:    * but seven years of component life may be too much to ask for. I've had these cranks since 1995 and broke the drive-side arm yesterday, sheared off the piece inside the spider right around the BB spindle! The only thing holding it on while I rode 10 miles home (down Flagstaff Mtn) was the fixing bolt on the backside of the crank arm. I'm only about 145 lbs, so if you ride as much as I do, better pull those cranks apart once in a while and look for cracks!

Bottom Line:
Great cranks until they break! But a seven-year life of hard riding mixed with trials ain't bad.

Favorite Trail:   606!

Purchased At:   came with a DEAN bike

Bike Setup:   DEAN Ti hardtail, SID SL, Onza HO Ti pedals (yep they're as old as the cranks!)

Submitted by John from San Diego

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2002

Strengths:    Stiff, beautiful machining workmanship

Weaknesses:    ?

Bottom Line:
These look like no other out there. I've had them for six years. I don't know why I'm bothering to submit a review for a product whose maker is out of business, but these are great cranks! If you find a set in nice shape, buy it or e-mail me!

If anyone out there wants to sell a natural color Caramba crank spider, I'd be interested. It would match my new bike better, all raw carbon fiber and no colored stuff any more.

Purchased At:   Stock on '96 Jamis Dakar Team

Submitted by Martin a Cross Country Rider from Grapevine, TX

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2002

Strengths:    Ultra Stiff, Super sweet looking. Most unique looking cranks you will ever see. These cranks have out performed 3 bikes, thousands of miles and still look, feel and perform like their brand new. If they still made them I would buy two more sets.

Weaknesses:    None. They are sort of wide but thats no problem. They fit fine with time pedals too.

Bottom Line:
Da Shiiiiiiitttt. One of the best products ever made. Up there with top mount thumb shifters. I give them 5 flaming turds.

Favorite Trail:   My Girl Frends Happy Trail

Purchased At:   Closed Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   None. Other cranks don't compare

Bike Setup:   Ventana El Saltamontes (used to have a Marble Peak) X-fly 100 fork, King Headset, Mavic wheelset, Syncros post, Ibis titanium bars, If you saw it you would probably piss on yourself.

Submitted by jumping jackass a Cross Country Rider from san francisco, CA , USA

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2002

Strengths:    stiff as hell, makes yer chops flap with saliva.... sweet looking! bomb proof

Weaknesses:    alittle on the heavy side

Bottom Line:
these things are the SH$t...good solid feel, quality build, theyve lasted 3years of blasting buy em if you find em!

Purchased At:   carumba

Similar Products Used:   xtr

Bike Setup:   GT zaskar, xt/xtr, avid brakes/levers, sid ti race, king rear hub, king hs, blah blah blah

Submitted by carlos a Cross Country Rider from san antonio, texas

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2001

Strengths:    stiffer than an erection.

get it? waaaaaaay stiff.

replaceable spider.

Weaknesses:    the Q factor was a bit high BUT we're not roadies!!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
stiffer than, ok already went over that.

i used them for about 2 years off and on. i loved my Syncros much more though so i went with the Syncros and sold the Double Barrels toa buddy of mine for cheap. he liked 'em better since the q factor was high and he's a big guy.

never hand a single problem.

i'll have to agree with the last guy, "not everyone should pick up a wrench". just because you work on your own bike doesn't mean you know what the hell you're doing. there are tons of qualified, that's the key, mechanics who have the knowledge. ask questions, let them know what's going on and and don't always assume a product failed because it sucked. some people ride like battering rams and need to accept that in the end, it's going to cost them.

Purchased At:   bike world

Similar Products Used:   Syncros Forged Al cranks, still going strong....i'll never change!

XT's, not as shiny as the Syncros. but durable.

Bike Setup:   Litespeed with a Colnago rigid fork and lots of syncros and King parts. Rigid Forks, Eat Less Dirt.

Submitted by fat from edmonton

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2001

Strengths:    looks..weight

Weaknesses:    crap they broke two pairs I have ran and both of them cratererd.. the first ones the nuckle bent I sent them back too Caramba they did replace them after a few phone calls..
then the next set just bent in the same place and I find out that caramab has went out of buisness

Bottom Line:
the cranks are crap .. sure I ride urban love drops so I expect to break sh*t .. but I am burned cause caramba cant replace these cause they are not there any more and I bought these with the belief that they could handle drops.. I weigh bout 180 and I ride full floater so watz up Caramba adios to you I should of bought proflie 2 years ago

Favorite Trail:   urban

Purchased At:   cambria

Similar Products Used:   xt-ritchie logic-cook bros-race face

Bike Setup:   Kelly IG fox5 alps marzochi Z1 QR 20 MCR xtr sunn rims

Submitted by belmont111 a Cross Country Rider from Little Rhody

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2001

Strengths:    Stiff. Stiff. Stiff.

Weaknesses:    None found (knock on wood)- but have not used them long, so I have not gotten the time and torture in yet...

Bottom Line:
Put these cranks on my rig with a White Industries Ti 110mm BB in between and Middleburn rings. Thing is incredibly responsive and stiff. When you are off the bike and you put a food on one pedal and push down hard- the FRAME flexes- not the drivetrain.... I actually feel like all the power that I am putting in is going to the right place.

Increasing my confidence and my acceleration. Could all be in my head- but so what? At least I am having fun! As soon as the ice melts a bit I will be able to see how well they take some drops- but if the White Industries/UN-72 (shimano XT) combo could handle it- these should do just fine.

What Fattt (next reviewer) said about the company is disheartening to say the least- as I would hate to have spent money on something that is not backed up- but maybe that is why I got them for half off retail.... Can't complain much, I guess. If I have problems, I will review again- but getting a big-time crankset for a bit over $100 is not a bad deal. You ride any crankset at your own risk.

Favorite Trail:   Mt Toms- Arcadia

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Suntour Pro XC, Shimano stx, lx, xt, White Industries (cheapo Japanese version...)

Bike Setup:   GT Xizang Team Ti, Marzocchi 3.5LT, Avid disk front-Magura hydro rear, XT, XTR, Thompson Elite extras

Submitted by fatttt from Can

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2001

Strengths:    stiff

Weaknesses:    broke

Bottom Line:
were perty and stiff till I broke to pair first time I broke Caramba after 6 months replaced them with a set that had the ..ID ot the spindel machined by a greenhorn machinest and ..now I have had to ..pop can it on to my arm.. and guess what they are out of buisness so I cant get new ones...400 cannuck dollars ..gone.. guess you pay to play.. and just gotta look guichie .. be differnt be better than

Favorite Trail:   urban Assult