Boone Crank Older Cranks

3.9/5 (10 Reviews)

Boone Twist Crankset

Submitted by Steven a Cross-Country Rider from LA, CA

Date Reviewed: October 4, 1999

Strengths:
Ultra-stiff; no flex whatsoever.

Weaknesses:
None that I am aware of.

Bottom Line:
I purchased a new set for a song directly from Bruce via his ad on MTBR.com; he is no longer operating as a business, but did/does have some left-overs from his original inventory. They are incredibly stiff, with no perceptible deflection even under the biggest loads. Unique in design, with a hard-anodized finish that stays put. Feel free to e-mail me for a picture of the cranks.

Sullivan Canyon

6 months

White Industries crankset, XTs.

Grove X-Frame, Judy XC

Submitted by Kumquat a Weekend Warrior from PA

Date Reviewed: April 23, 1999

Strengths:
Stiff
Cool looks

Weaknesses:
Threads stripped too easy

Bottom Line:
I want to withdraw my previous good review of these cranks, as after using these for a few months the threads on the spider to attach the small ring are ALL stripped, and one of the bolts is actually missing as a result of falling out on the trail. As far as I know, Boone is no longer in business, so no manufacturer warranty remedy for it. Thankfully, Performance has a satisfaction guarantee.......Race Face here I come!!

3 months

XT cranks
CODA cranks

Cannondale Hardtail

Submitted by Kumquat a weekend warrior from Pennsylvania

Date Reviewed: February 12, 1999

Bottom Line:

Got these for $90 from Performance to replace stock CODA cranks on my 'Dale. What a difference!! Zero flex, now the bike accelerates even better than before. Plus, they look cool with that twist in the arms. One problem (?) though, they only just clear my front derailleur when it's in the big ring, there's about 1mm or less clearance there. And that's using the manufacturer's recommended BB spindle length (122mm). Overall though, great crankset.

Submitted by Keith a cross-country rider from Westovershoe

Date Reviewed: April 25, 1998

Bottom Line:

Good cranks, but I f**ked up the threads holding on the little ring, and now I'm at a loss for what to do. I'm trying to locate a new spider, but I don't think it's going to be easy. The cranks are sharp looking, and work well enough, but it sure sucks to f**k up expensive parts.

Submitted by jeff a weekend warrior from detroit mich

Date Reviewed: April 12, 1998

Bottom Line:

i bought these and they suck ass i don't think that anyone should ever buy these
mine are shit i had to sell them for way less than what i paid. like i got no enjoyment out of these at all. if you want a good crankset go with xtr or race face

Submitted by robert a cross-country rider from Atlanta, Ga

Date Reviewed: November 12, 1997

Bottom Line:

My Cooks Bros RSR cranks just bit the dust...The square hole through which the spindle passes wallerred out to the point that the spindle would come out the other end. So, I bought my second set of Boone cranks. (The first set is on my road bike). What a difference! I thought that the creeking I was always getting was from my bottom bracket...Well it must have been from the cranks because now it is gone. Also, It is amazing how much stiffer they are. I never realized how much flex I had till it was gone. The only bad thing is that Bruce is not making these any more. Oh, well.

Submitted by Bill Manry a cross-country rider from Monte Sereno, CA

Date Reviewed: October 15, 1997

Bottom Line:

I bought a used pair of these in 177.5mm length. Been using them on a Bontrager RaceLite with a Kooka ti BB (122mm spindle) and Bebop pedals. I weigh 170 lbs. and do a moderate amount of jumping and they've held up fine over about 900 miles. A while back I noticed that the spider is very slightly cocked...this shows up as about 1mm of runout at the edge of my 46t ring. This doesn't seem to create any problems as the spider is still tightly fastened to the crank arm i.e. there's no play. (I would guess that all two-piece designs are prone to this kind of thing.)
Summary: I'm satisfied.

Submitted by Kyle Bielenberg a racer from Mesa, AZ

Date Reviewed: March 10, 1997

Bottom Line:

This review is for their BB Which is totally awsome their is no flex what so ever which i thought their would be because im riding 180 American Classic Cranks. It is also a really light unit and the bearings are really smooth. When your installing it don't use a shimano or park bottom bracket tool use the new trek(snap on) tool it work a lot better and won't slip.

Submitted by Jeff King a cross-country rider from Venice FL

Date Reviewed: December 13, 1996

Bottom Line:

Very nice product and great company. One of the few high end cranks that you can get (read: really buy, today not 6 mos.), in a large selection of lenghts. The are stiff enough and pretty lite. But I still think the new XTR is damn hard to beat. p.s. The helix BB is very nice also.

Submitted by Andreas Hagenbauer a racer from Graz, Austria

Date Reviewed: August 5, 1996

Bottom Line:

The Boone Twist cranks absolutely rules, superlight and still ultrastiff, they are by far the best on the market, far better than the rest of the aftermarket stuff.

xx1 crank & chainring with a zee derailleur for a chainguideless 1x10 setup?

Hey, I'm running SS atm with an XX1 crankset and a Wolftooth chainring. I'd like to go 1x10 for the time being with a Zee derailleur/shifter, my original 32t XX1 chainring and a 11-36 casette. Without chainguide. Would that be a compatible combination?Read More »

Can't get my crank bolt off!!

I'm having serious issues removing my crank bolt. I've watched about every you tube video out there, and all of them remove the bolt with ease using a standard socket wrench. My problem is that none of my sockets fit the bolt! 1/2 is too big, 7/16 is too small. 13mm too big, 12mm too small. The only ... Read More »

XX1 PF30 Crank Install Help

Hello everyone. I'm trying to install an xx1 crankset in a PF30 bottom bracket. The bottom bracket is in, but I'm having trouble sliding the crank spindle through the bearings. They are super tight, and it seems as though I'd have to bang the hell out of the crank to get the spindle through. I ... Read More »

X0 crank on a 2013 carbon epic

I tried replacing my S-1250 with an 2012 XO crack, but the axle is shorter than my 1250's axle. Is there suppose to be a difference? I thought a PF30 was a PF30?Read More »

bb30 2x10 to 1x10 or new crank for all mountain ride i need a chainguide and guard.

Hi I have a cannondale claymore and it has an fsa 386 2x10 crankset with 3 mounting bolts. Well I keep droping my chain so i need a chainguide and id like to go 1x10 as well and save some weight, but I dont know where to start, should i get a new crank or can i make this work, id like to go to a li ... Read More »