Kinley SX PRO ELITE Older XC Full Suspension

F/R Derailleur: Shimano XTR
F/R Hub Shimano XT

Submitted by duaneparadis a Weekend Warrior from Highlands Ranch, CO

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2010

Strengths:    Light and nimble. Good geometry for my riding style and height. Good components.

Weaknesses:    Crack frame on down tube just above the rear suspension welds.

Bottom Line:
I've riden this bike hard for 3 years on mostly technical single track with lots of rocks, tree roots, mud, jumps, bumps, steep ascents and downhill. Several weeks I ago I cracked the frame on some brutal single track. Then I remembered the 5 year frame warranty, but to my disgust Kinley has since gone out of business. So I got creative and used a section of my seat post and slide it into cracked area of down tube with lots of gorilla and crazy glue. I've since riden once and it held. We'll see how much longer it will hold. I've lowered overall rating because frame cracked. Other than that, this has been a great bike.

Purchased At:   kinleybikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Giant ATX 890

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Lee a Cross Country Rider from Sallisaw, OK

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2007

Strengths:    Frame, Shimano XTR components

Weaknesses:    Grips and Tires, replace both just as soon as you can.

Bottom Line:
Please refer to my full review of this bike in the forums on this web site.

I gave this product a value of 5. I don't believe you can find another bike out there that has the kind of parts this bike as for under $1500.

I also gave this bike an over all rating of 5 due to the over all quality. The frame looks to be just as good in craftsmanship if not better than some major name brands on the market today.

If you do your homework you will also find as I did that ALL THE MAJOR named brand bikes are made overseas. Most are even made at the same factory.

So you have to ask yourself, "Are you willing to pay more for a name on a frame?" In some cases thousands more?

My answer was "NO"!!! Please go read my review and form you own opinion. The review isn't meant to start a debate, but simply state the facts and let the reader decide.

Good luck with whatever brand you choose, it's all about just getting out and hitting the trails!!!

Favorite Trail:   ANY DIRT

Purchased At:   Kinley Store Direct on Ebay

Similar Products Used:   All FS from all major names. Spent a month researching this bike before I bought it. Nothing compares in this price range.

Bike Setup:   Please see Kinley's main web site for the spec list.

Submitted by James a Cross Country Rider from Spanish Fork, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2006

Strengths:    This bike is loaded with great components (mostly XTR)and is a solid quality ride at a good value.

Weaknesses:    I hated the tires that came with bike. No grip and I had multiple pinched flats in the first two weeks of riding it. I changed these out and now I'm enjoying the bike more. I also don't care for the spec grips. I also broke the saddle within the first two months.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line, I'm pleased with the bike. It's a nice light, bike with good solid components(except for the saddle). I've been really enjoying it.

The only negative thing I can say about the bike is that the company, Kinley needs to work on their customer service. They eventually sent me the money for the broken saddle, but it was a huge hassle. It shouldn't have taken over three weeks to rectify. I was hoping that taking a chance on a small company would improve customer service...this experience was disappointing. I have my fingers crossed that nothing else with break and that I won't have to confront their customer service and test their receptivity to honoring their guarintee on their frame.

Favorite Trail:   Blackhawk loop

Purchased At:   directly from Kinley online

Similar Products Used:   K2 Launch, Santa Cruz superlight, Gary Fischer Cake & Sugar, Kona King Kikapu, Ellsworth Ephiphany

Bike Setup:   See the basic set up at kinleybikes.com. I did change out the tires to something wider and with some more 'teeth'.

Submitted by Geary a Cross Country Rider from Washington, USA

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2006

Strengths:    Components, Weight, Price, Customer Service.

Weaknesses:    I switched them to a beefier tire after my first ride. It was spring when I got the bike and the little California clay tires were no match for the NW crud and slippery roots. Also, I would have liked to had a tubeless option.

Bottom Line:
I already have over 200 miles on this bike and it has been a blast. Benno provides a great product and great customer service. Bring on the epic rides.

Purchased At:   kinley.com

Similar Products Used:   I looked at Specialized, Cannondale, and Gary Fisher all were much more expensive for a similar setup.

Submitted by Tim a Cross Country Rider from Idaho Springs

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2006

Strengths:    A great value! I did a lot of research before my purchase. The other bikes I considered were at least $1000 more with lower quality parts. The bike is light and response, but with a good level of suspension.

Weaknesses:    My only change was the tires. After a ride with pinch flats and the wheels spinning in the loose stuff, I swapped them for something with more tread. I prefer presta tubes over schrader. I will probably upgrade to UST at some point.

Bottom Line:
I'm very happy with my purchase.

Similar Products Used:   K2 Razorback, Specialized, Living Extreme, Giant

Bike Setup:   Easy. Only had to adjust the front disk brake a few times...

Submitted by Karl Paulsen a Weekend Warrior from Park City, Utah

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2006

Strengths:    Price, Components

Bottom Line:
The bike was easy to setup and right out of the box was a great ride. I bought this sight unseen and was pleasantly surprised. For $2200 I can't imagine a better value, but don't let the price fool you, this is a great bike with top of the line components. Customer service was excellent and I got the bike within days of placing the order online. Benno (the owner) even called after I received the bike to make sure I was happy with everything!

Bike Setup:   No Brainer

Submitted by Jarad Slipp a Cross Country Rider from Washington. DC

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2006

Strengths:    Price+Component Set=Amazing Deal

Weaknesses:    None Yet

Bottom Line:
It's tough to pull the trigger on a $2k bike that you can't see let alone test ride. But I took a flyer and it definitly paid off huge. At the end of the day this is a baby Ellsworth at more than 50% off. The components alone add up to more than the sale price, so how can you go wrong. Looking at it that way the frame is free but certainly not an after thought with solid welds, a high class paint job and a 5yr warranty. Give Benno (the owner) ring, your wallet and new found smile will thank you.

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco