Turner 5 Spot Older All Mountain Bikes

4.9/5 (90 Reviews)

You asked for it, here it is, the five-inch travel trail bike. Similar weight to the 2002 XCE, but more travel. This bike rocks!

The 5 Spot features 5 inches of travel, custom double butted tubing, bushings with zerk fittings, Romic coil shock and disc or cantiliver option.

Submitted by fuscopd a Racer from San Diego, CA, US

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2010

Strengths:    Pedals Great. Feeling of endless travel. You could almost mistake it for a hard-tail till you hit a bump. Jumps well, takes drops great. Handles the 160 fork very well.

Weaknesses:    None yet. It climbs steep technical better than my 29er hard-tail, but it is definitely more work than the 29er on long fire road grinds. (2.1/1.9) wheels on the 29er may have something to do with this.

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a more all mountain bike to replace my 29er. I also have a 2009 DHR and I found it was really hard to transition from one to another.

I first demoed this bike from "North of the Border bikes" and fell in love with it then but could not afford the price tag to build it up how I would like. The bike I demoed had a 32 Talas 140mm travel and was set up like a XC/All mountain.

When I came across this factory refurbish (they replaced the bushings) for the complete bike with the 36 Talas fork, I was stoked but a little worried how the bike would handle a 160mm fork.

I AM HAPPY!! The bike rides like a XC racer on the flats but descends like a AM/FR on the down hills. I do use the talas function on the fork allot when doing really technical climbs which I find helps.

I have a 70mm race face Atlas stem and bar, so being able to lower the front helps the climbing.

On fast flats, I drop the seat a little, throw on the pro pedal and sprint around like I am on my 29er. When it is time to descend, that is where the fun begins. The only things I do not like about the bike are the brakes, but this has nothing to do with the bike.

The F1 RX suck!!!!! Compared to the Elixer CR on my 29er, these brakes have no feeling and no power.

Favorite Trail:   To Many To have a Favorite

Purchased At:   From Turner Factory

Similar Products Used:   Stump Jumper, Ibis Mojo, Norco Shore

Bike Setup:   Fox 36 160/120mm Talas/ Fox RP23/ XTR/ Formula One RX 185/165 brakes/ XT UST Wheels/ Kenda 2.35 UST front and Maxxis High Roller 2.35 UST. KS i950r seat post. Race face Atlas 70mm stem.

Submitted by Dale E a Cross Country Rider from Arvada,CO,USA

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2009

Strengths:    This bike works well all the time.It has the Horst Link rear, and it has been bombproof.

Bottom Line:
This bike totally kicks butt. I have been riding it for four seasons now and I like it now more than ever. Raced it at the leadville silver rush 50 twice and it really performed. It really likes to go downhill, but climbs good for a 28 pounder.If your looking for a trail bike that can do it all, look no further.

Favorite Trail:   Enchanted Forest

Purchased At:   Singletrack Factory

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8000 hardtail

Bike Setup:   Pushed Fox 32 RLC, Fox DHX Air. Sram X9, Race Face cranks Hayes 9 discs, Mavic 819/XT wheelset.

Submitted by natestar a Cross Country Rider from Omaha, NE

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2008

Strengths:    Stiff, light, reliable, simple and good looking

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I really enjoy challenging myself while riding the Turner 5 Spot. It really puts my mind at ease when going into some pretty hairy trails. I bought this bike because I could only afford one bike, so I needed one that could do everything and go everywhere. I went for the best. I have taking this bike to Utah, Colorado, WY, Kansas City, and of Nebraska trails. Although a lot of unique terrian, the 5 spot has never let me down. I do not notice any bob or loss of power thoughout hills and the linkage is incrediably responsive over rough stuff.

I've needed to replace the bushings once since I purchased. Other than that the frame is maintence free.

Extremely pleased with this bike. With a 5 spot, you really cant go wrong.

Favorite Trail:   Platte River SP

Purchased At:   Private Sale

Similar Products Used:   na

Bike Setup:   5 spot, talas RLC, FSA and SRAM components, avid bb7

Submitted by AL GO a Racer from Québec, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2008

Strengths:    Level of performance is right up,pedaling efficiency and reliability is top notch.Overall, this bike do the job better than most big brand (specialized,trek,rockymountain,kona,intense,santacruz etc)One thing is shure. It is stong,secure and reliable bike.Those other brand can't say that on all of their bike's

Weaknesses:    no 18 inches bike.

Bottom Line:
I prefer bushing to bearing,i prefer riding over servicing bearing. If you want a bike for a while go Turner, Ventana,ellsworth,titus,santacruz,it doing matter they all great bike's.I prefer reliability, and all my TURNER deliver.The 5Spot is a winner because you go up, you go down the level of performance is there.Just look at the rear triangle,you will know why it is a strong bike. Look a specialized stumpjumper fsr rear triangle and ask youre self if you want to change your bike soon.They cost some money, but for me, you get something in return for a while.efficiency and reliability are the most important quality when you are riding fast & furious. to be secure on youre bike is not a option if you want to ride a lot. happy trails..

Favorite Trail:   canadian wild & fast trails

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Bicycles Lessard

Similar Products Used:   Specialized,santa cruz,intense,kona,titus,rockymountain,Devinci

Bike Setup:   sram, avid, thompson and Dave Thomas Dreamwheels set of wheels.

Submitted by Daryl King a Cross Country Rider from Boise, Idaho USA

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2007

Strengths:    High quality and attention to detail (just look at the stays and the chainstay yoke;geometry;Turner bushing system with zirk fittings is very durable, has been low - maintenance, and is smooth working; frame looks good; plenty of rear tire clearance, ability to run either air or coil shocks.

Weaknesses:    Don't know if it's a weakness but I would prefer just a slighlty more slack seat tube angle

Bottom Line:
This bike is super well-balanced climbing and descending. it keeps good traction on technical/loose and steep climbs yet does not bob when pedaling. the geometry is quick on twisty singletrack, yet not twitchy, and feels very stable going downhill fast.

The frame has been very durable and I am happy to be riding this bike.

Favorite Trail:   SoCal (they're burned now)

Purchased At:   The Path in Tustin, Ca

Similar Products Used:   Mango FSR (my first real mtb), Jamis Dakaar when they had a horst linkage.

Bike Setup:   Cross max enduro wheels, Revelation fork, rp23 shock, raceface low rise bars, 100mm stem, xt der's and shifters, juicy brakes and 170mm rotors.

Submitted by Keith Heflin a Weekend Warrior from Ridgecrest, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2007

Strengths:    Excellent lateral stiffness. Bushings are the way to go. (My friend has a Blur and the bearings are a nightmare.) Servicability: Zerks on all pivots. It will take a huge tire. There is no bob to speak of if you are even marginally smooth. The suspension disappears beneath you, no suspension induced pedal feedback, no brake jack...it's awesome. You can put a water bottle holder in the triangle. Lots of loose sandy rocky hills here, if you can sit on the nose of the saddle and turn the crank it will climb anything. The fully active suspension makes it possible.

Weaknesses:    I wish I had the 07 Spot!!!
Zerks on chainstay pivots (now on the seat stay) are useless. The toleraces are very tight and there is no grease groove, so you have to take it apart to lube it. If you do take it apart be careful because I have broken the plastic parts in mine. I get occasional 9 to 8 ghost shifts in the big ring on stutter type terrain. This was much worse with normal rear derailleur than rapid rise. I think it has to do with the shift cable positively holding the Rapid Rise derailleur in high gear, vice spring tension only in the case of a normal rear der.

Bottom Line:
I don't think you can go wrong with this bike, and Turner just keeps improving it. It took me a little while to get used to the slacker head angle, coming from a hard tail Stumpjumper M2, but now that I have, it seems to be the perfect compromise between quick handling and downhill stability. At first I kept my Talas dialed down to about 110 mm, but lately I have started running it all the way out except on long climbs (I wish I had the new 3 position switch instead of 3mm per click). I weigh about 185-190 dressed for a ride and set the RP3 at 170 and the Talas at 75 with 30 lbs in the tires. My build came in at 28 to 29 lbs and it climbs great, I don't miss my 24 lb hard tail at all. I love this thing more every time I ride. I plan to upgrade to the longer rocker and eventually maybe the RP23 and Talas with Terralogic.

A word of caution, in the end, bike sizing is a personal thing. Don't let the salesman sell you something when you know better. I am 5'10" with a short torso and longer legs (releatively) and the salesman stuck me on a large because it looked right.....bad move. I rode it for a month and was uncomfortably stretched out, and couldn't get the front wheel off the ground if I tried. I went through the same problem with my first mountain bike and should have learned but didn't. So I went back to Helens and they agreed to replace the large front triangel with a medium and it ended up costing me an extra 300 bucks and I had to buy an extra long seatpost. I'm on a medium now and life is good.

I would give 4 and a half chilis for value if I could because for 2 grand the frame should be flawless. I would mark down for the chainstay pivot lube issue, but they don't deserve to be knocked down to a 4 in my book. If you have the money,this is the ride.

Favorite Trail:   Fish Creek Loop, Golden Trout Wilderness

Price Paid:    $1950.00

Purchased At:   Helen's Cycles, Santa Monica

Similar Products Used:   Blur (1 ride). This is my first FS bike.

Bike Setup:   Medium 2004 5 Spot, RP3, 2005 Talas, XT Cranks and 11/34 Cassette, XT RR Rear Der., XT Front Der., Hayes Mag Plus brakes, Easton Monkey Lite riser bar, Thomson stem and seatpost, WTB Pure saddle, SRAM Triggers, King headset and hubs, , Candy SL pedals, Mavic 819 UST rims, WTB Motoraptor Race 2.4 tires running tubeless, Jagwire Cables, Rollamajig, Salsa Skewers, Stans sealant, Cateye Enduro computer, Garmin Geko 301 GPS.

Submitted by Tzali Morr a Cross Country Rider from Nes Ziona, Israle

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2007

Strengths:    Strong, Stiff, good traction, Climbes well. very good at single trails.

Weaknesses:    Price.

Bottom Line:
Outsatanding geometry for all arownd biking. Recently I upgraded it to Talas 2 which improved it because I found out that in 120 mm position it is a perfect XC bikes, in the 140 mm position, the geometry changes to make it very convenient for stip & technical trails and the 100 mm position helps in steep climbing to avoid stalling.
I have already riden over 4600 miles(7000 Km), on thease bikes and I am happy. (My frame is the first 5 spot boat in Israel).

Favorite Trail:   Merav Center

Price Paid:    $1950.00

Purchased At:   Pedalim

Similar Products Used:   Treck

Bike Setup:   2004 5 Spot with anodize coating, Talas 2, RP23, Sram XO, Marta sl, DT hubs & spokes with Mavic 819 rims. Schwalbe albert tires.

Submitted by jsnk1975 a Cross Country Rider from NC

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2007

Strengths:    A compact "flickable" feeling bike that has big hit capabilities. Solid and stable.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't feel nimble at slow speeds but is steady and sure footed.

Bottom Line:
Welp, I think when you buy a bike at this price point you expect and hope that it will feel like a strong quality build. This bike feels solid and stiff but is still fast and a capable climber. It doesn't climb like an XC bike but then again it's not an XC bike. It is everything a solid All Mountain/ all purpose bike should be. Eats up fast and technical terrain and has a very balanced feel. The bottom bracket is high enough to forget about when the trail turns rough. As good or better than any AM bike out there IMO.

Purchased At:   a demo in vegas :-/

Similar Products Used:   Motolite (demoed), Enduro(owned), VT2(owned)

Bike Setup:   Currently running a Fox fork. A 20mm thru axle may make it even sweeter.

Submitted by Tal a Cross Country Rider from Israel

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2006

Strengths:    Climbing, descending, technical, a real "one bike". Great customer support. And the Turner MTBR forum ain't bad either ;)

Weaknesses:    a little slow to turn on twisty terrain.

Bottom Line:
An amazing bike. As much fun going up as going down. Great technical handling. Makes me want to ride more than anything I had before. 5 hour aerobic training rides & endurance races are as successful as technical singletrack rides. Real chameleon.

Similar Products Used:   aluminum hardtails, Specialized S-Works FSR-XC.

Bike Setup:   2005 large spot, Fox Vanilla, 28lbs, with CaneCreek Zonos, Nevegal 2.1, Thomson post, race face next bars, xt/xtr

Submitted by 5spotfirefighter a Cross Country Rider from Half Moon Bay, CA

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2006

Strengths:    Quality Build. Stable Platform. Awesome Climber.

Weaknesses:    None noted yet... Maybe trying to setup the DHX air, but that's only because I haven't gotten a new bike in 10 years.

Bottom Line:
This bike is the do it all bike that will last. It may not be the lightest or fatest bike but it solid. The bike is amazing as you challenge yourself. It seems to urge you on and make you go beyong your comfort zone. The long wheelbase is huge and makes that bike stable. As you increase your speed the bike seems to get better. I don't think I'm even able to push it to it's limits. Definitely encourage everyone to at least demo a 5 spot and see for yourself.

Favorite Trail:   Long Epic Singletrack with a drop or two

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Blur, Titus Moto-Lite

Bike Setup:   06' Turner 5 Spot, Rockshox Revelation, Sram X.9, DT Swiss Wheels, DHX Air 5.0

Submitted by James a Weekend Warrior from Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2006

Strengths:    Bomb proof, Great looks, Great ride, confidence inspiring.

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
Buy this bike you will not regret it. I only wish I had spent the money sooner! This baby does everything well.

When you are ready to buy give Mike Richards at www.rbikes.com a call. The best customer service bar none!

Purchased At:   www.rbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   2000 GT Zaskar LE

Bike Setup:   07' Fox Talas RLC, Fox DHX 5.0, King Headset, Crossmax XL wheelset, Thompson stem and post, WTB seat and tires, Avid Juicy 7 Hydro brakes, Avid X0 derail and grip shift, Shimmano XT crankset and front derail, Avid 991 chain, AXO carbon fiber bar, egg beater Ti pedals.

Submitted by Ken from Anchorage, Alaska

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2006

Strengths:    uphills, downhills, flat, gnarly trails, roots, rocks etc.. This bike just handles it all with aplomb - fast, slow, scary - whatever it is, the Turner just rolls over it no fuss, no muss. There is not much flashy out Turners, they just work. Often you don't notice anything until you realize your buddys are struggling over some feature the Spot just rolls right on over. Great bike.

Bottom Line:
Fantatic bike, you can't go wrong. Not the thing for weight weenies but for others it is as good as it gets.

A word about service. Yesterday the seat tube snapped below the shock mount. Today I called up and told them so. Their response was, literally, "would black be ok? (yes); it will ship out today, please send the broken frame back in the box we send." Service as it should be and rarely is. You just gotta love Turner.

Favorite Trail:   Lost Lake

Similar Products Used:   Intense Spider; Turner XCE; Turner Burner; Asylum

Bike Setup:   Chris King hubs; Hope Mono M4; Fox DH 5.0 (spring); Fox Vanilla 130 RLC; Airborne ti post; Paul Thumbies; XTR drive train.

Submitted by NMT a Weekend Warrior from New England

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2006

Strengths:    Light, nimble, FSR suspension design, quality, craftsmanship, geometry

Weaknesses:    None, nada, zippo

Bottom Line:
This is frame rocks. I rode a Ellsworth Truth for 2 years and it was okay, but the Turner 5 Spot fits like a glove and inspires confidence. With a Romic Twin Tube on the rear the suspension is plush, but controlled. Too bad Turner ditched the FSR/Horst link suspension. I'm not sure I'd dish out the cash for an 06 Turner with the faux bar design.

Purchased At:   Beyond Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Ellsworth Truth and SC Heckler

Bike Setup:   Zoch Z1 QR20, Thomson, Mavic, RaceFace, Hope Mini

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from New York

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2006

Strengths:    Best bike ever had,,,, not a single problem

Weaknesses:    none.....

Bottom Line:
This Bike rides like any other bike i ever owened .
Exelent climber . Turner is my tune......forever period

Favorite Trail:   Ninham , Carmel New York

Purchased At:   BicycleJulio, chappaqua

Similar Products Used:   Kona king Kikapu,Santa Cruz blur,Ventana Saltamontes

Bike Setup:   XO head to top (shimano free)formula disc brakes,King hubs red , stand rims,King headset, new front shock FOX Talas RLC
Kenda Navegal tires

Submitted by Filo Beto a Weekend Warrior from concord, CA

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2006

Strengths:    Beautiful build qulaity, bushings instead of the crappy bearings that everyone else uses, simple...proven design, works better than you can imagine.

Weaknesses:    When I first got the bike I was a little worried because it felt sluggish uphill...but my time was actually faster. Not sure what to attribute that feeling to.

Bottom Line:
Well...I did a ton of research before getting this bike. I went from wanting a Bullit to a VP Free (which I bought and sold) to a Ventanna...etc etc. I finally settled on the Turner. I liked the fact that it's made in the USA (not just designed here.) I like the fact that they use bushings instead of bearings. It's worth mentioning...read why Turner uses bushings before you discount what I am saying. It makes sense...and after having to replace many bearings due to them being frozen up or very stiff, I believe it. Any pivot point that moves slowly and rotates less than 360* does not need a bearing. Bearings are weaker laterally, are not serviceable, and cost less. Okay..enough about that.

The bike just works. I am always amazed at how the bike tracks over very rough terrain. It just soaks it up with no complaints. While many bikes can do this, not many can turn around and pedal up that nasty hill as well as a 5 Spot. This bike is very versatile, and I've seen them built up big and small. I like a medium build for reliability and all around use.

I was a little upset that Turners no longer have the Horst Link. Not sure if this had anything to do with Tony over at Ellsworth (a bike that I will never own.) Hopefully not. Maybe Specialized just charges too much for the use of the patent on the Horst Link...or is it that Tony filed a patent for ICT (a similar design to Turner's that was developed independently of Ellsworth's design)? Who knows...but it must be hard when the borrower of a patent makes a better bike than the owner of it. Thanks to MTBR the public has made it known that Turner builds the best 4-bar....Thanks Turner.

Favorite Trail:   saw pit

Purchased At:   Wrench Science

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz VP Free, Specialized Enduro, hardtails of various makes

Bike Setup:   XTR triggers, front and rear derailleurs, dura ace chain, 959s, fox talas front, rp3 rear, Phil Woods laced to 819s, Hayes Mags, Vertical Pros with stans, xt cranks and casssette, thomson post and oversized stem, salsa qrs, terry saddle, king h/s, lock-ons, .....

Shimano 2x10 on 2009 5 Spot

Does anyone have this set up and if so do you have any advice? Interested in things such as BB spacer location etc. Will be using SLX with a 38T outer ring. Won't be using a bash or chain device. ThanksRead More »

Trek Ex 5 2011 or Turner 5.spot 2007

Hi guys, I´m looking for a full suspension bike for my father (60 years old), we both practicing mainly XC (we both have a hardtail bike), but nowadays, we are making some technical trails and some long routes. And my experience with my Orbea Occam is awesome in these paths. I have two offers for t ... Read More »

Retiring with my 5 Spot

I am retiring at this month and moving to Cumberland BC. I am on my second 5 Spot (2011) now, and my old 03 is going to a guest bike. At 55 I am pretty damned excited to move out to Vancouver Island to a true mountain bike Mecca. I have been working in Edmonton, AB for the past 8 years in the arm ... Read More »

2013 5 spot thread

There is a 2010, 2011, and 2012 thread. I think it's time for a 2013 5 spot build thread. DT thank you very much for making a frame that is THIS GOOD!!!!! It keeps getting better and better every time I ride it :cornut:Read More »

X01 on a 5.Spot - Q factor?

With X01 just about to ship, does any one know which q-factor is compatible with 5.Spot, Burner, Sultan etc?Read More »