Giant Pistol 1 Older All Mountain Bikes

• Pedals: Platform
  • Shifters: Shimano Deore

Submitted by north rider a Cross Country Rider from North Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2009

Strengths:    Great frame geometry, heavy duty, good and decent fork, shocks and shimano deore components

Weaknesses:    -a bit heavy
-rear shocks placement - but some riders (like me) prefer to put their bottles in the back packs

Bottom Line:
Okay its 2009 and Im reviewing a 2006 Giant Pistol 1, well why now? Its simple, why not? I got the bike brand new in a LBS. Its a good price compared to other bikes that may start at 2k. The bike is very solid, beefy frame and the ride is smooth. It is a bit heavy. It is recommended for entry level to intermediate riders. Its great for cross country, trail riding, a bit of downhill (not extreme downhill), 4 foot jumps and everyday riding.
The Giant company is a veteran competetor, so like other brand names, it is reliable.
It is a four for me, coz you can always upgrade parts.

Favorite Trail:   many

Similar Products Used:   giant atx 840, Giant Yukon and GT Mountain Bikes

Bike Setup:   stock but will upgrade to raceface components, seatposts, and may change pedals to crankbrothers

Submitted by holycrikey a Weekend Warrior from Charlotte, NC

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2008

Strengths:    Great frame design, great price (used), decent Shimano Deore components.

Weaknesses:    Components could have been a bit better, rear shock placement isn't the most brilliant design ever, change of components from 2006 to 2007 model lowers overall quality. A bit on the heavy side at over 30 lbs.

Bottom Line:
I was able to scoop up a used 2006 Pistol 1, and I feel that it is a GREAT entry-level full-suspension bike. The market for them is phenomenal right now. I feel that the components via the 2006 Pistol 1 are far better than the 2007 version. I really don't know why Giant decided to drop the Tora 302 for an SR XCR, the Hayes Sole for the MX4's and the Vanilla R for their no-name Giant coil spring. Maybe they needed to cut some corners? I'm just not quite sure why Giant decided to swap to what I consider to be slightly inferior parts on the 2007 model. That being said, I'd highly recommend the 2006 model unless a 2007 can be had at a killer price. The Fox Vanilla R rear shock is a decent shock/spring set-up, but as others have noted, the way Giant has mounted it to the frame is a bit odd, and doesn't allow that much else to be mounted should it break or should the rider tire of it. The Shimano Deore components are definitely alright, but I do wish they would have at least put LX components on it. The Tora 302 is a decent fork for intermediate/advanced trails and should last awhile. Remember that this is not a downhill/free-ride bike. It is also a bit heavy, at over 30 pounds. But again, it's full suspension, so I expect some add heft. The frame can definitely take a beating though. Very solid! If you want an entry-level full suspension bike, I think this would be a fantastic choice, especially considering the used market. I don't know if there is a better bargain out there. I'm giving it 4 chilis because there is always room for improvement.

Favorite Trail:   Too many

Similar Products Used:   Various Giant Boulder's/Rincon's/XTC's, older Diamondbacks.

Submitted by Maddog a Cross Country Rider from Orange County NY USA

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2008

Strengths:    Hydraulic Disk Brakes and Full Suspension.
Nice look to it: Love at first sight for me and had to take it home!

Weaknesses:    1)It is a bit heavy (approx 35.5 lbs.)
2)Due to rear shock position, no good place to mount a bottle cage. I had to go aftermarket with a velcro mount one and hang it someplace else.

Bottom Line:
Why am I, in 2008, reviewing a 2006 Bicycle? Why not? I just got it. Maybe your local bike shop has one sitting around too and you're wondering if you should buy it.

I know the Giant name isn't looked up to like Trek, Specialized or others, but I liked my last Giant. They are pretty good quality.

Mine was a leftover so I picked it up for $900 instead of the original price of $1100. Why nobody snatched it up before is beyond me.

It's a nice bike and replaced my Giant Yukon hardtail. The hydraulic disk brakes are very nice. I read the bad reviews on those brakes but I have no complaints of my own. The front fork soaks up bumps real good. The rear shock, I'd say so-so (although this is my first bike w/ rear suspension so I may be a bad judge).

Overall it is a very nice bike and I got mine at what I consider to be a fair price.

Purchased At:   Joe Fix It's

Similar Products Used:   Giant Yukon and GT Mountain Bikes

Bike Setup:   Totally Stock, but with a twofish velcro bottle cage and specialized wireless computer.

Submitted by amit a Weekend Warrior from Israel

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2007

Strengths:    Great geometry, Massive bikes for Aggressive XC
Nice stock setup (for the price of course)

Weaknesses:    BRAKES ( Hayes Sole ) , front brake got replaced after 2 weeks ( 2 rides or so ) anyway consider replacing them for something more serious , the stock brakes suck ...

WTB seat - nothing bad but just not good , i want to be spoiled :)

Bottom Line:
Amazing bike for the Inter. beginner
very strong and aggressive but when considering going into more technical maneuvers I would suggest replacing brake system to something a little more serious

Purchased At:   Bike4U

Similar Products Used:   my first bike :)

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by paul from ca

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2006

Strengths:    hevy duty, strong frame, good shocks, cool color.

Weaknesses:    nothing

Bottom Line:
an amazing bike for the price. got it for about 45% off to i recomend this bike for anyone who rides bikes.

Favorite Trail:   clarmont 50 track

Purchased At:   coates cyclery

Similar Products Used:   giant ac 1

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by steven lucykanish a Weekend Warrior from palmerton PA usa

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2006

Strengths:    rock shox tora front shock is beefy and i like the adjustble travel..it helps when u really need the travel and when ur just riding street

Weaknesses:    the rear travel isnt that great in the way that it pivots only really 2 ways..and the fact that u cant upgrade rear shock..that i know of..

Bottom Line:
great bike for price alot of ride for buck..dont recommend pistol 2

Favorite Trail:   beast of the east

Purchased At:   curts cyclery