RockShox SID Race Titanium 2002 Front Shocks

Weight : Weight: 2.78 lb. (1.25 kg)

Titanium nitrided upper tubes // Titanium hardware // Climb-It Control compression adjustment // Tunable positive and negative air springs // All Travel // External rebound adjustment // Travel: 63/80 mm // Spring: Dual Air

Submitted by Christian a Cross Country Rider from L.A. CA USA

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2009

Strengths:    Weight

Weaknesses:    Every thing else!

Bottom Line:
I got a few years out of my fork before i killed it. It died wile riding near lonepine. Also i weigh about 112 and this fork had a lot of flex with me riding it...not cool.

Similar Products Used:   Every thing else!

Bike Setup:   Sworks m5 hard tail. Carbon bars.

Submitted by Johnny Ocasio a Racer from Trophy Club ,TX

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2003

Strengths:    Adjustment,plush travel,light.

Weaknesses:    Titanium coating peel off they have a recall,bushings,oil leak.big lack of lateral stiffness.

Bottom Line:
This @#$@! s$#@! almost kill me, the arc just broke and I just lost control of the bike while leading my very first race of this fall.thanks to this fork I just did not win and broke my knee. so by by season and by by rock shox.
getting a FOX right now from jenson...

Favorite Trail:   northshore

Purchased At:   came on bike

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale ultra.

Bike Setup:   S Works hard tail.crossmax tubeless

Submitted by Kyser Sozcey a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2003

Strengths:    Great Looking fork! NiTride finish, light, and it's Titanium! Great Response from RS.*maybe because they've had soo much trouble with the NiTi's.

I orginally bought it used with the intention of tuning it up and having a fork that would match my 02'Sid Carbon for my hardtail. But before I even put it on my bike, while I was cleaning it up, I noticed all the stuff in the next section(Weaknesses).

Weaknesses:    NiTride/Stanchion quality & Paint Quality.

Well when I got the fork from the e-Bay seller the paint was chipped and flaking off from poor quality paint prep by RS and whoever tried to service the fork was an idiot for chipping the paint. Once the paint was chipped, it started to flake off. *But no problem. Used fork = some wear & tear. I was just going to get some touch-up paint. For only 300 bones it was still a bada$$ fork. Then I noticed that at the upper part of the stanchoin there was some pitting, on both legs. I took it to the LBS and the manager there noticed that on the backside of one stanchion that there was a divot or crease in the actually leg or Nitride finish. So off it went back to RS w/ me as the orginal owner. A couple of weeks later RS sent me a brand new 03' Team!

Bottom Line:
I doubt that RS would have given me a new fork if I wasn't the orginal owner. I also think that they have had so much trouble w/ the Nitride finish that they just said f*** it. I would have prefered a new 02' still to match my Carbon.I think if you sell something and it turns out to be crap, then you owe it people to back up your product. I'm giving the fork an overall rating of 3 beacause I got a new 03'. But for what you pay, if MSRP, you shouldn't have to put up w/ any of this BS from RS. Just my .02 cents.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Manitou's, Marzzochi's, 02'RS Carbon

Bike Setup:   02'Tracer, XTR, Thompson, King, Easton, RS Carbon

Submitted by kevin a Racer from chicago

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2003

Strengths:    Everything-Stiff, smooth action, looks, lock out, dual air compression, great looking blue to mthc the frame. Takes some big hits every once in a while and damn light.

Weaknesses:    None-susrprised at the low rating

Bottom Line:
I love it and is everything I had hoped it would be and I would buy another in a heart beat (then I saw the World Cup Carbon). Phenomenal performance. I've heard rumblings about the gold coming off and also heard that Race Face has replaced them with new ones. I've seen none of that. I like to put a small film of wd40 on the tubes after cleaning to keep them nice.

Purchased At:   stock

Similar Products Used:   Manitou MARS C, Marzzochi Atom Bomb, Atom Race, and good old fashion 4130 chromoly.

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 100 with all kinds of goodies

Submitted by johnny t a Cross Country Rider from illinois

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2002

Strengths:    smooth(mostly), very tuneable, good dampening system, mine does not leak ever!

Weaknesses:    (will it ever break in?)stiction, flexy flyer, ti-nitrade coating likes to chip.

Bottom Line:
You would think after ten years, the folks at rockshox would get things right. Well they are only halfway there, This fork is a waste, IMHO. Great internals but a junk chassis(scary flexy), unless you are 150lbs that is. And if you are this light weight gambler, avoid the sexy gold coating at all costs. I had my suspicions with Ti-nitrade from past experience and they still hold true, damn stuff won't stay on. Quality control with Rockshox sucks, Every Sid I witnessed (with the exception of my girlfriend's SIDney) has some kind of problem with it. mine seems to have some kind of misaligned bushings or something, as it won't get butter smooth like I have experienced with other sids. There are better forks out there (foxfork) for the money. My stay at rockshox has ended.

Favorite Trail:   sedona AZ

Similar Products Used:   I have been a rockshox boy: mag21, judy, sidxc, psylo, sid race, had a whitebros sc90 and tried marrizochi and fox fork.

Bike Setup:   Litespeed toccoa, XTR, crossmax ust.

Submitted by Jean-Stephan VOZA a Racer from Marigot, St-Martin, France

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2002

Strengths:    None... oh yes, it worked great for 1 ride

Weaknesses:    heavy
zero stiffness
too light
ugmy blue

Bottom Line:
1 - After a "little crash" I lost 1 inch of travel
2 - The bushings inside didn't last more than 1 ride
3 - Lost oil from the top of the left leg
4 - 1/100 of a turn of rebound adjustment
5 - after each ride the compression damping turn itself 1 click higher
6 - 2 inches on front & back travel, 3 inches when locked out.
7 - this fork is 1/2 a pound heavier than the 2001 SID race. On a digital scale, it wheight exactly the same as the 1998 JUDY SL

Bottom line : if you race and have a mechanic folling you to overhaul the fork every week, that's fine. If you don't, DO NOT BUY THIS FORK ! It's a joke. Buy a MARZOCCHI, it's the same weight and is 10 000 time more reliable.

Favorite Trail:   5mn from home

Purchased At:   TRISPORT NV

Similar Products Used:   2000 SID race

Bike Setup:   Fuel 100

Submitted by Astro A a Racer from Geneva

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2002

Strengths:    light, climb'it,works good, tunning, look

Weaknesses:    steering, failed!

Bottom Line:
It's working really good when it's new (less than 250km), and progressively I had more and more bushings and rings play.
With my mecanic (by instruction of rock-shox switzerland and at they charge($)) we've put 2 more rings inside and polish the TiNi coat (they remained the same color).
It worked as good as new... but only for 250km again...and the same.
I was training in the alps went the play came back, wobbled dangerously, and went quickly on dh as the first time.

So I called RS switzerland because I had a race this week-end in the alps, and they told me that the mecanics from the world cup will be at this race and will change it for a carbon crown. And they did 2days later in 1 hour.
And it work really good now but it's new, I'll see later...

So I got a great aftersale service but they should check more their forks at the factory, because lots of the TiNi are going back to it. DON'T BY THE TINI the sl is the best quality/price

Favorite Trail:   alps

Similar Products Used:   sid xc 00'

Bike Setup:   Scott strike limited (carbon frame)

Submitted by Doug a Racer from Connecticut

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2002

Strengths:    Light weight, lockout,nice steering, looks cool.

Weaknesses:    This fork came with my bike so I can't complain, however it weighs .02 lbs less than the SL and costs over $100 more. No one can honestly tell me they can feel the .02lbs weight savings.

Bottom Line:
I am very happy with the fork. However if you are reading this and intend to buy a fork, I would say go with the SL, it is still a great fork, and buy it while you can. Next year there will be no more SID SL, and you will get stuck with this hefty price tag. I race frequently and can tell you that NO ONE IN THE WORLD CAN FEEL A .02 WEIGHT SAVINGS.
save the money, buy the SL. But if you've got the dough, and want this one, go for it, you won't be let down. I'm giving fives because it came with my bike, so I can't complain.

Purchased At:   Dave's Cycle and Fitness

Similar Products Used:   SID SL, SID Race ('01)

Bike Setup:   Specialized S-Works FSR '02, raceface,selle,thomson,answer,odi,king,hutchinson

Submitted by Mike a Racer from Ne, OK, USA

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2002

Strengths:    Excellent tunability, light.

Weaknesses:    A bit noodley.

Bottom Line:
Came on new KHS, partly the reason I bought it. I'm not weight deprived, so it's a little flimsy on a grueling downhill. Tunability is great, but I get a little clunking noises when I dial in lots of compression damping. Worls for me I'm satisfied but we'll see with time. The jury is still out if it's worth the weight savings. It will be if it lasts but I have my doubts...

Purchased At:   came with bike

Bike Setup:   Duallie, XC-able downhiller. Lots of whirling, shiny metally things.

Submitted by Bernie Martin a Cross Country Rider from Winchester, England

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2002

Strengths:    Experience, better back up now

Bottom Line:
I like the finish and the operation of the fork, but I'm heavy at 220 pounds and do tend to put equipment through it a bit. The forks track fine for me though I've heard complaints from other riders. My main complaint is that I have to run 150lbs pos pressure and 130lbs neg pressure which means I have about 40mm travel at most. I will go back to Marzocchi next-they've been building forks for 70-80 years now so I guess they know what they're on about!

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi Z3 Bomber Light

Submitted by Mike Eckley a Weekend Warrior from Avon Lake, Ohio USA

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2002

Strengths:    Weight savings, carbon crown steerer,climb it control,compression rebound speed adjustment.

Weaknesses:    can only use certain stem types.

Bottom Line:
I do not believe 85-90% of the reviews posted below!! My gut tells me that they are being posted by a "bunch of pimply faced adolescent kids that have yet to get laid" let alone ride a top quality MTBike. I weigh 180 lbs. ride hard all day long and I have not sensed any sign of weakness from this shock. It handles roots,rocks,climbs,descents,technical trails and fast smooth rollers with ease. The carbon steerer negates any high frequency vibration. Add a carbon bar and you have one very solid steering vibration free bike. This is a TOP SHELF product! Use this shock for cross country riding and you will be impressed. If I have ANY problems with this shock I will repost, until then I will be riding with it every weekend. I'd give the value rating a three or a four, but will post a five in order to make up for some of what I believe to be BS postings and ratings.

Favorite Trail:   a new one

Purchased At:   Phat Tire 12/20/01

Similar Products Used:   '00 rock shox Sid XC

Bike Setup:   '01 GT Zaskar Team, grip shift, phil wood, race face,avid,altek,king,zipp,sun,roox,easton,thomson,selle italia,odi.

Submitted by jeff kammerer a Cross Country Rider from Machesney Park, IL

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2002

Strengths:    When it worked, great ride, great adjustability, smooth bump absorption.

Weaknesses:    Ti coating flaked off!!! Then the fork literally self-destructed! Tore up the bushings and O-rings.

Bottom Line:
When it worked, it was great! When the Ti coating flaked of, it fried the innards, especially the bushings and rings! Wobbled dangerously! It went down-hill QUICKLY! That is it self-destructed very fast as soon as the Ti coating came off! DO NOT BUY THIS FORK! I did get a virtually new fork after rock shox rebuilt it and even gave me an '03 carbon crown, and new stanctions minus the Ti coating! SRAM seems to be improving the customer service!

Favorite Trail:   Rock Cut(IL) Black River Falls(WI)

Bike Setup:   Specialized S-Works FSRxc

Submitted by marzocchi fan a Cross Country Rider from so. cali.

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2002

Strengths:    light weight

Weaknesses:    every thing, other than the light weight

Bottom Line:
the negative reviews below pretty much sum it up. on one bike i have an old marzocchi XFly with many thousands of miles and (other than a once a year oil change) ZERO maintenance. And unlike the SID, you can actually use it for mountain biking--i.e. you can ride fast on fun trails that have technical sections. i don't understand why weight fanatics continue to buy this crappy rock shox product. At least the RS psylo is halfway decent and reliable...