RockShox Judy XC 2002 Front Shocks

2.84/5 (37 Reviews)
Weight : 4.25 lb. (1.91 kg)

Tunable positive air pressure // All Travel // Travel: 80/100 mm // Spring/Damping System: Hydra Coil w/ Air Assist

Submitted by Adriano a Downhiller from Quito, Pichincha, Ecuador

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2010

Strengths:    Good benefit/price relation. Resistant, cheap and easy maintenance.

Weaknesses:    Just for XC, no less no more, a little hard suspention for other activities.

Bottom Line:
If you are a beginner, it's ok to learn; but if you are a seriously biker...don't waste your money, search something better.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Rockhopper XC 2002

Submitted by hayasa8 a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2008

Strengths:    What a product! I have put thousands of miles on mine, never did a thing to them! I drop them off 5 ft plus regular, no problems. Can't imagine a better product for the money. Oh yeah, important note...I weigh 230+, for those that have put the fork's strength in question.

Weaknesses:    The stupid rubber boots. Always riding up, not a ton of room to zip tie them.

Bottom Line:
Can't go wrong, unless you are purchasing to establish your self as some sort of gear snob.

Submitted by alejandro aka the puma the puma! a Cross Country Rider from santa monica mountains

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2008

Strengths:    hall of famer (since 97), never buttered, never f&%$ed with, like the little pink bunny, guy at the shop on lincoln said "just like the day they were put in"

Weaknesses:    heavy, i dont particularly like the black st. covers but i could never take them off, pretty stiff, throws you around a little

Bottom Line:
this fork is in my personal hall of fame. i bought an old school frame just to put this thing on (that would be 3, a singletrack 950, blue, all the old xt stuff) i mean, its not a downhill or freeride fork because that kind of riding didnt even exist when this came out. shut up, put one on your commuter, and realize this is a 5 flaming turd all around. someone will just give you one! if youre worried about weight, lose your disc breaks, your eight hundred gears, and all your fancy water bottles and crap!

Favorite Trail:   psali

Purchased At:   came on 990 in nashville---store on broadway i think

Similar Products Used:   nothing much...just bought a skareb platinum on ebay to dress up my old pony

Bike Setup:   1)trek 990, xtr rear every, xt fr der/ crank/ hubs, 8 sp, king head, thomps, answer pro tap, avid sd7 (sick) sd ti levers, old school top mount deore xt shifters 2) kona unit, race face, chris king head, hubs, freewheel, 517's, monkey lites, magnesium easton stem, ss

Submitted by William a Weekend Warrior from Toronto

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2007

Strengths:    still feels like the first day i got it.

Weaknesses:    Stock oil is too light

Bottom Line:
Just a follow-up, so far still have no problem with it, i only cleaned the sliders with transmission oils once,and ziped the boot when i got it, and becasue the stock oil is too light, i changed it, butter smooth, still doing drops and jumps, mud and rains, no leaks, and running a 180mm brake on it, works very well.

PS: I ziped the boots
-Check oil height, so it doesn't bottom out as bad.
-This is a 2001 model, is only coil/oil, not air!

Submitted by William a Weekend Warrior from Toronto

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2007

Strengths:    $70, can change from 68 to 100mm, fast reaction, and nice travel for it's price.

Weaknesses:    the clicking sound from the spring.

Bottom Line:
I got a rock shox qrada21 2nd hand before, and it got 3.somthing rating on MTBR, and i ended up dumping it.

heard alot of riders saying things about rock shox's seal, but nothing happens to mine so far, but again i only got it for a month.

this fork is great for it's price. For $70, with 100m of oil-coil, what can go worng? i did 3ft drops, ride it in the skatepark, and some XC, no problam-o, but ofcouse, my bomber z3 is alot nicer, but you get to keep in mind that it also cost more!

I don't know what yr model the others got, but mine is a 2001 model, so you can't pump air into it.

I'm 145lbs, the yellow/yellow springs works great for me, i don't know about heavier riders, the rebond works well too, very good for small bumps, and with 100mm, it can handle some drops.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   other old rock shox judys. z3.5 bomber

Bike Setup:   Dirt Research Bandelier, 7sp

Submitted by Brett Rivera a Cross Country Rider from Menlo Park

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2006

Strengths:    They're very cheap but...

Weaknesses:    The little rubber things have got to go! They make them look like those fake forks on those cheap bikes. Also, they are not durable at all! They broke the 4th time i went moun. biking on them!

Bottom Line:
DO NOT BUY IF UR A SERIOUS MOUNTAIN BIKER!!!!

Favorite Trail:   some trail in Bear Valley

Purchased At:   i dunno

Similar Products Used:   Boxxer, black, mars, float

Bike Setup:   marin rift zone

Submitted by Just Another Dirtbag a Cross Country Rider from Durango, CO USA

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2005

Bottom Line:
I've had these shox for 4 years and have not had one problem what so ever. Even at 80 mm they still do the job. Riden over 1,000 off road miles. Never maintanced either. I guess I'm lucky. Probably not the best for 5 ft drops but I have gone down some pretty nasty trails and they do just fine. But if you got high standards and a fat wallet these shox are not for you.

Favorite Trail:   colorado trail- molas pass

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by Scott Goodwin a Cross Country Rider from Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2004

Strengths:    None...

Weaknesses:    POS. Bought two on clearance a year ago for use on two cross-country bikes. Only have had a chance to ride sparingly on streets within community. Went to ride this summer after bikes sat for about 6 months and on both bikes the seal had popped out of the lower and was leaking oil. Normally, I keep 20 lbs psi in these but during sotrage, I let out all air and filled to 5 lbs. Additionally, these have both always felt incredibly poor in comparison to the two Manitou Axels I have on other bikes.

Bottom Line:
RockShox and local bike shop will make no attempt to resolve problem. Want 75.00 per to repair. What frustrates me most is that I never used these off-road and only rode about 10 times before storing for the winter. When I finally had time to think about riding again, both shocks had the seals pop out from the lowers on the first mount spraying oil from the boots. I would say these shocks are the biggest pieces of junk I have run across.

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Axel Comp, Elite.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Jason Aarstad a Weekend Warrior from Plymouth, MN

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2004

Strengths:    This is a great entry fork to learn on. It has served me well for my first few years. It looks cool too.
It'll take a lick'n and keep on tick'n though

Weaknesses:    This is definitly nothing to get excited about. It has only 100mm of travel, no adjustment that works that I know of. It is extreamly soft. It bottoms out constantly, i am 180 pounds. It can barley take a three stair. But it has survived four and five foot drops though. It may not perform well but it doesn't break for anything.

Bottom Line:
Halfway decend fork if your looking for more comfort than performance. Not good for much. Not even x-country, it soaks up every pedal stroke.

Favorite Trail:   Any where any time

Purchased At:   Bike Masters

Similar Products Used:   zochi mx comp

Bike Setup:   Giant DS2

Submitted by Jonathan 'jonowee' Wee a Weekend Warrior from Perth, WA, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2004

Strengths:    - 100mm or 80mm travel adjustable
- Adjustable preload
- Damping (can't complain when there's damping)
- Replacement uppers are in black (so if I decide to ride without the boots, they look like the sexy new 2004 Marzocchi forks.).

Weaknesses:    - Do NOT try to install the fork like I did, A$295 bill to replace uppers (crown, steerer tube, stanchions).
- Seals died after a year or maybe half. Fork performance drops.

Bottom Line:
A good fork to start with getting into suspension.
A- Coil spring keeps cost and complexity down
B- Oil damping saves you from being ripped-off.
C- 100mm travel makes it a versatile fork to learn suspension.
D- Adjustable preload works with you when you have a few more donuts.

Me now working to enter full-suspension world with a JAMIS Dakar XLT 3.0. Outstandingly top value for a great spec.

Purchased At:   A$460 at BikeForce Joondalup

Similar Products Used:   - Stock RST Cala 80mm pogosticks
- Rigid hi-ten fork

Submitted by Garry Bowen a Cross Country Rider from Sydney Australia

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2003

Strengths:    Very few. Easy to dismantle/service. It hasnt actually broken castistrofically yet but every ride I think that it is going to...

Weaknesses:    Flexy, Bad top out with stock oil, Part missing from factory, Crappy plastic parts, no rebound adjustment except oil change.

Bottom Line:
This fork is crap. So much flex under braking. When set to 80mm travel fork seems to lock out at about 40mm. There was a part missing from the factory which I only discovered after dissmantling because performance was so bad. Changed oil to heavier weight at the same time which helped also. I am upgrading to a Marzocchi MX Pro so this fork is gong in the bin..... Only gets 2 chillies (not 1) because it has lasted me 2 years.

Favorite Trail:   Nasho

Purchased At:   Purchase with bike

Similar Products Used:   Marzoochi z.5, SID race, RS mag21

Bike Setup:   Avangti hammer hardtail, crosscoutry,

Submitted by Jesse from dayton, oh, usa

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2003

Strengths:    good value for money
reasonble cross country fork

Weaknesses:    Weak design. Can not take hardhits. Ive not ridden on it that much since i got it but it makes some ungodly noises when it hits stuff. Cant count how many times i had to change the oil rings in it.

Bottom Line:
I would tell someone who did very light trails to purchase this fork. I was told that it would hold up to what i could put it through and seeing a i was just getting into mountain biking at the time i believed them. Its kind of cool that it held up against some of the abuse i put it through. It has never been the same since i bottomed it out. If you must purchase something for xc i would recommend this but not if you will do any kind of drop.

Favorite Trail:   Caesars creek

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Bike Setup:   97 diamondback v-link, xt drivetrain, protaper bars

Submitted by Millhouse a Cross Country Rider from Calgary, AB, Canada, eh

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2003

Strengths:    has disk brake mounts

Weaknesses:    pretty soft, I'm 180 lbs, and I bottom it out regularly...no big drops...too old for that.

Bottom Line:
well, nice shock for a girl :-) seriously, I just got back into the sport, got a deal on an awesome bike 3 months ago, and after the past 3 months of riding, going on tougher terrain, I decided a new shock is in order. Just found it too soft for myself...probably great for someone 150lbs or under.

Favorite Trail:   sulphur

Similar Products Used:   Duke XC, Bomber

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS-3, added hayes Mech disk brakes

Submitted by Jim Davis a Weekend Warrior from Adelaide, S.Aussie

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2003

Strengths:    They look like real shocks. Strength is not a word to describe them though!

Weaknesses:    OH YEH! Spring Strength, seals (oil seals and air seals).

Bottom Line:
Had my new bike for one week and the first time on real tracks I blew the oil seal. Went over nothing bigger than a one foot drop with no bad landings and I weigh 75KG. Guy at the shop told me he had sold about six of them and every person has come back to complain they are too soft.He tried to ring his supplier to do a trade in type deal but the supplier denied any problem and even commented that people had complained they were too hard.I can roll along and bottom them out by bouncing down on the handle bars.Bottom line is - DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY!

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Indy (years ago)

Bike Setup:   Felt EPO XC, LX front/XT rear derailleur, Avid single digit brakes, all together with CRAP FORKS

Submitted by James a Weekend Warrior from Adelaide, SA, Australia

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2003

Strengths:    Look Ok. Move up and down. Hold wheel to front of bike.

Weaknesses:    See below

Bottom Line:
These things came as standard on my bike. I must admit they felt pretty ordinary from the start with a fair bit of flex and they seemed to bottom out pretty easily. I am a largish person, 6ft 98kg admittedly so I had them inflated to full pressure.
I have ridden these things off road maybe 20 or so times in the 9 or months I have had them and on road to work and back nearly daily.
Anyway after a recent ride in the forest of no longer than 30kms, the things felt pretty soft. This was because one seal was blown out, which was surprising because it wasn't a hardcore ride by any strecth of the imagination, with no dropoffs bigger than a foot.
So, off to the LBS monday, informed that this was "common" and would be a $50 repair by Rockshox. Fine. Get a call from Rockshox 3 days later to say that they are bent and pretty much a bin job. WTF? Yep, they are a write off, despite the fact that they have never seen any real punishment.
Don't even think about getting these unless your day job is a horse jockey and you promise not to ride your bike off of anything bigger than a kerb!

Purchased At:   Super Elliot

Bike Setup:   Giant 2002 NRS3.

I need a little help IDing on old Judy XC

I have done a fair bit of searching trying to find a database to decode the serial number on an old Rock Shox Judy XC. I am putting together my Schwinn Moab from college with mostly period parts from 1998. Basically building the bike I couldn't dream of affording then. I even attempted to contact ... Read More »

XC Judy fork slap...

On my old 1999 FSR Comp the XC Judy fork makes a slapping (or light knock) noise inside on fast compression. What could that be? This fork is either very low or out of oil too if that makes any difference... Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2Read More »

Rebuilding a Rockshox Judy XC

What are my current options for rebuilding a Rockshox Judy XC (1996)? I did a search and most of the recommendations are no longer available like the Englund Total Air replacement, etc. Am I stuck with trying to find new springs and elastomers or is somebody still making a swap out kit?Read More »

Rock Shox judy XC 01, can i ride it with one coil?

I have this fork ant its too hard for me. In the left side i have a medium (red) coil and in the right soft (yellow). When i was replacing my oil i noticed that with the yellow coil alone the fork works much better. Can i only ride with only one coil in my fork? Sorry for my English.Read More »

Yet Another 97 Judy XC question....

Looked back on previous posts, didnt find exactly this, If I missed it sumhow, I apologize..... I have a 97 (98?) Rock Shox Judy XC on my Stumpy M2 Comp, got a long elastomer topped by springs down each leg ( from the top ) shock works, is stiff as hell ( i'm 180 and it barely bounces) the ela ... Read More »