RockShox Duke C 2002 Front Shocks

4.17/5 (24 Reviews)
Weight : Weight: 3.57 lb. (1.61 kg)

Tunable positive air spring // 30 mm aluminum upper tubes // Travel: 80 or 100 mm // Spring/Damping System: Hydra Air

Submitted by Henry a Cross Country Rider from Chandler, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2006

Strengths:    Very Stiff, Easy to maintain and relatively light

Weaknesses:    None (If purchased at a reasonable <$350 price)

Bottom Line:
This is an solid fork that offers the stiff, minimum flex performance of similair forks like the FOX RCs without the steep price. I would look to either the Cannondale HeadShok or RockShok SID if you are a weight weenie looking for a fork that will really perform on the scale.

Favorite Trail:   Flagstaff, AZ (Fire Roads)

Purchased At:   OEM takeoff

Similar Products Used:   Fox, Marzocchi, Manitou SX-Ti and RST

Bike Setup:   Cannondale CAAD3 Hardtail

Submitted by Florin Avram a Cross Country Rider from Novi, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2003

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    Front end bounces. I took a very bad fall and broke one finger soon after I instelled it.
Massive oil & air leak after less than 70 hrs. of riding

Bottom Line:
I regret that I bought this shock. I will stick to either more expensive forks or I'll switch to no front suspension, maybe even single speed mtb.

Favorite Trail:   Highland St. Park

Similar Products Used:   manitou black elite

Bike Setup:   trek hard tail

Submitted by Shane lewis a Racer from CT

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2003

Strengths:    100 mm.

Weaknesses:    Rock Shox stickers fell off very quickly

Bottom Line:
Great Fork. The fork is very active.

Favorite Trail:   Penwood, coales, robinson

Purchased At:   Colarado cyclist

Similar Products Used:   SR Sontour

Bike Setup:   Specialized HardRock A1 FS Sport, Full LX, Time ATAC alium pedals.

Submitted by Jens Jacob Iversen a Weekend Warrior from Århus, Denmark

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2003

Strengths:    Simple and Light. Quite strong with good steering precision.

Weaknesses:    hmm... would be great with a lock-out.

Bottom Line:
The fork is a major upgrade to the judy sl. Much stiffer and with the ability to ride faster with greater control. Of course there is always space for improvements for example a even more rigid crown and thicker legs.

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox jaudy sl

Bike Setup:   CUBE team litening, sram 9.0, Magura Louise front, HS silver back, TIME pedals, Raceface Turbine LP, TA Specialites chainrings, ritchey seatpost,flat bar and stem, sram 9.0sl hub with x517. No shimano.

Submitted by Grant a Cross Country Rider from Macon, GA

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2003

Strengths:    Stiff and adjustable.

Weaknesses:    No rebound adjustment (no biggie).

Bottom Line:
This is the Duke that only comes on a fully built bike.
I love the Duke. I don't do any "big hit" stuff, but it feels great floating over rooty sections. Once you get the PSI right for your weight, it tracks extremely well in corners and, dare I use the old cliche', inspires confidence. Oh yes. Some say it is heavy, but my bike weighs in at around 24 pounds, so it's obviously not an anchor.
Having never used the version with rebound adjustment, I can't say as I miss not having that feature, but that's the only thing missing here.
The Duke is the working (wo)man's XC fork. Good deal.

Favorite Trail:   Dauset Trails

Purchased At:   Breakaway Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox Jett fork (1998 version, oh yeah)

Bike Setup:   Klein Attitude with mostly original equipment

Submitted by Miguel a Weekend Warrior from Harlingen, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2002

Strengths:    - 100mm of travel
- adjustability
- steel steerer
- relatively light

Weaknesses:    - flexes more than the steel
forks I had before
- plastic damper cap
- aluminum upper tubes

Bottom Line:
Great forks for the price. RockShox recommended
air pressure is a bit high. I weigh 170lbs. and
keep the fork at 105 psi. for 25% sag. Don't
buy this fork if you're a weight conscious XC
geek. The fork lacks a rebound adj. knob, but
this can be adjusted by changing the oil weight.

Bike Setup:   Aluminum hard-tail, LX components, Titec stem and
bar, Rhyno-Lite wheels, susp. seatpost.

Submitted by Skyler a Cross Country Rider from Park City, UT

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2002

Strengths:    does not take alot of work to maintain
these shocks

Weaknesses:    heavy

Bottom Line:
built real well and were a nice up grade from my Rock Shox Juddy. the only thing that i dont like is that their is not a lockout on these shocks.

Favorite Trail:   tour de suds

Purchased At:   colarado cyclist

Similar Products Used:   juddy tt

Bike Setup:   trek 4500 with disc brakes

Submitted by mundy from tulsa, ok, usa

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2002

Strengths:    everything

Weaknesses:    nothing

Bottom Line:
I have been impressed so far. This shock is stiffer than the manitou could ever dream to be. Somewhere under the Bomber though. But than again much cheaper than the bomber. Works well on stairs and small hits. Tell you more about the bigger the hits as I do them. All and all if you can find this shock for under $150 do it!!!! Just found out today it is upgradeable to XC/SL by buying three or four parts. Gonna try that next.

Bike Setup:   sumting

Submitted by Don a Weekend Warrior from Huntersville NC USA

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2002

Strengths:    Smoothness on virtually all size bumps. Rather light for the price.

Weaknesses:    none as of yet

Bottom Line:
The seals went out on my mag21 after about 8 years of hard riding. Not bad. I saw the DukeC at Colorado Cyclist for an icreadible price and decided to upgrade my mag. The only problem is that my mag was a 80mm and this shock is a 100mm. I put it on myself and other than adjusting seat height, I can't yet see much difference in the geometry when riding. This shock has absorbed stuff beyond what I thought it would do. I ride a lot of single track with roots and this thing eats them up. It has done wonders for my shoulder pain!! I am very surprised on the range of bumps this shock minimizes. It has definately improved line holding.

I am a weekend warrior and for the money you can't beat it! You don't need to spend a lot of money unless you are can really take advantage of what a more expensive shock offers. I hope I don't have seal problems that some of the other raters are experiencing. I will rate it 4 chilis because I do not really know what a 5 chili shock would feel like.

Favorite Trail:   Foxboro Stae Park

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox mag21

Bike Setup:   Barracuda with XT

Submitted by J T a Cross Country Rider from VA

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2002

Strengths:    -price
-plushness
-stiff
-reasonable weight

Weaknesses:    -lack of rebound adjustment

Bottom Line:
Get this fork for the price! I have the 100mm model, the ride is great- plush travel, minimal flex, nice weight. Only downside is lack of external rebound adjustment, but it suits me fine as is. I have'nt had it that long, so we'll see if durability is ok, but so far so good. 5 chilis for value, 4 overall.

Purchased At:   colorado cyslist

Similar Products Used:   various Rockshox, manitou SX

Bike Setup:   AL hardtail

Submitted by Bart a Cross Country Rider from austin, tx

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2002

Strengths:    100mm of travel

Weaknesses:    no rebound adjustment.

Bottom Line:
I regret buying this shock. there is not a rebound adjustment so the front end bounces all over the trail in the rough stuff. The bottom line is you get what you pay for and this is a good $100 shock.

Purchased At:   supergo

Bike Setup:   santa cruz superlight

Submitted by dave a Cross Country Rider from Michigan

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2002

Strengths:    Don't know, I had a seal blow out riding it down the road in my subdivision! A total of less than a quarter of a mile :( . Looks impressive though.

Weaknesses:    Obviously the seals!!! I hear the RS response time to repairs is painfully slow.

Bottom Line:
I'm not happy. A brand new shock should not blow a seal just riding on a paved road. I put the stock one back on so I can ride while it's out at Rock Shox for repair/replacement. I'm not even sure if I'll want to even try it again when it eventually comes back ("Screw me once, shame on you, Screw me twice, shame on me"). If it worked well enough to take it out for a ride on the trail I would rate it higher. Be careful buying one of these.

Favorite Trail:   Island Lake Yellow trail. (Not realy my fave, it's just close to home)

Purchased At:   coloradocyclist.com

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Judy Special which came on my '02 FSR Rockhopper. Boing! Boing! Boing! (just my way of saying that one is like a pogo stick).

Bike Setup:   '02 Specialized Rockhopper FSR XC, stock with the exception of Shimano LX cranks (way better than the stock ones).

Submitted by J W a Weekend Warrior from MN

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2002

Strengths:    good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good

Bottom Line:
good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good

Favorite Trail:   OL

Purchased At:   store

Submitted by Hank a Weekend Warrior from Plano, TX USA

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2002

Strengths:    Definitely buttery smooth over most small bumps. Easy to adjust positive air pressure. Looks pretty nice, although, I have the red one and would have preferred black.

Weaknesses:    No adjustment of rebound, but not a big deal at my skill level.

Bottom Line:
I'm a beginner and purchased a Mongoose Zero G3 2001 (16") for $289. The Rockshox jett '01 made top-out noises and seemed a bit bumpy even going down some beginner trails. I bought the red 100mm travel Duke C and installed it myself (even was able to reuse the old star-nut).

The 100mm Duke C is a really huge upgrade from the Jett. I purchased a shock pump for $15, which made adjusting the Duke C very easy. I'm only 130lbs. for $109, this is a total steal!