Marzocchi Z.1 FR 2002 Front Shocks

4.63/5 (40 Reviews)

• 130mm travel
  • NEW open bath HSCV cartridge
  • NEW multi-circuit damping design
  • Extension Control Cartridge (ECC)
  • Coil springs
  • BAM Powerwrap M-arch
  • External preload & rebound control
  • 30mm aluminum stanchions
  • NEW QR20PLUS (optional)

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Travis Jeddore a Weekend Warrior from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2003

Strengths:    -Looks so nice itll get you laid in a second
    -good finish and did i mention looks
    -Comes with Ecc (extension control cartridge)
    -Qr20 Plus is a charm
    -external rebound and preload (which work very well)
    -V brakes AND disc compatible

Weaknesses:    -a bit flexy
    -slightly heavy

^^^^^^^^
    LIEK IT REALLY MATTERS!

Bottom Line:
    Get this fork you cant go wrong itll make anyone happy and so far is absolutely flawless

Favorite Trail:   ??? just urban

Purchased At:   pinkbike (used)

Similar Products Used:   Dirtjumper 3 (2003)
    Exr-comp (2003)
    POS Insync Grind 320 (2003)
    Junior t (2003)
    Some rocky mountain thing

blahblahbalah

Bike Setup:   Trek 4100- heavily upgraded (2004)

Submitted by Kelly from Upstate NY

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2003

Strengths:    It works and works and works & has not broken, and it will take an eight inch rotor (I know, I'm not supposed to do that with a qr).

Weaknesses:    weight, I suppose, and a bit of oil leak from stantion/crown junction

Bottom Line:
    It works great. I'm 230 & ride stupid and it continues to work. 5 footers to flat concrete (cased one & bent wheel, rotor & stem, but fork is aok). Plattekill ('nuff said). Lots of xc in the northeast (read: rocky/rooty). I put in one marzocchi firm spring & one mountainspeed xfirm, and Belray 15 weight oil & I'm in heaven. Took a while to break in, and is now as plush as, well, I can't say it here. Re climbing, my frame is a bit small for me, so the ecc thingy is just the remedy, and allows me to climg with my 170 lb friends. Recently I was trolling for loading dock drops behind a plaza at dusk & there was excavation, so I rode through it, and when I was about 5 feet away I saw a wire - jumped on the brakes, nose wheelie that I held for what seemed like 5 seconds - the fork told me it liked it that way. What a great product. It is not free, but it really is fun.

Favorite Trail:   shindagin & plattekill

Purchased At:   Universalcycles

Similar Products Used:   chubby

Bike Setup:   Mountaincycles San Andreas, Risse Jupiter-5, xt disc hubs & avid mechanical 8 inch rotors f&R, tires = some dh (gazz, intense intruders sr), some intermediate (nokian core) and some xc (conti verticals), Love seat, rfxo post & good 'ol red 636's.

Submitted by Rog a Cross Country Rider from Spokane, WA USA

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2003

Strengths:    Quality, ride, strength.

Weaknesses:    Not nearly as good as the 03 model. Mine makes a clicking noise.

Bottom Line:
    I liked the fork until I upgraded to the 2003 model. The 99 through 02 models seemed basically the same, but the 03 is defintiely a next generation product. My 02 fork had a clicking noise during compression. I was without my fork for 6 weeks, then Marzochhi returned it unrepaired. (I purchased the 03 because I wanted to ride my bike during that time.) I called Marzocchi, and they were very reluctant to give me another RA number, but they eventually did. I had no confidence that it would be repaired after another 6-weeks, so I sold it cheap to a co-worker that said he didn't care about the noise. I would recommend this fork only if you cannot afford an 03.

Favorite Trail:   West Shore Trail

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Z1 1999, 2001, 2003, Manitou Black Elite.

Bike Setup:   Intense Uzzi SLX w/5th Element, XTR, Easton.

Submitted by Giuliano a Weekend Warrior from Italy

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2003

Strengths:    Strong, plush, lockable.

Weaknesses:    A bit flexy, quite heavy (2.05Kg), no compression damper adjustment, no boots, quite expensive.

Bottom Line:
    It's very soft and plush. Perhaps this fork is too big for my hardtail bike, but it works fine. It adsorbs everything and I can go uphill on trails with stairs quite easily. No need to lift the front weel at every root. The ECC also works fine and it's VERY useful when you ride on road. If I don't lock it, the bike bobs way too much. It flexes more than I expected, but it isn't annoying.
    It's definitely a good fork.

Similar Products Used:   Manitou SXR'98

Bike Setup:   Rewel custom titanium frame, Magura Gustav-M, Shimano stuff.

Submitted by Rick a Cross Country Rider from North Vancouver

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2003

Strengths:    Great fork typical for Marzocchi.

Bottom Line:
    I orignally was going to order the Z-1 Freeride but decided once my forks are set-up I no longer have any need for the plethora of adjustments which are possible with this fork. Therefore I ordered the Drop-offs and the heavy spring kit. I got the forks and put them on thinking I'd have to wait for the heavy springs before I could ride as, I'm 230lbs. I've had to with every other coil Marzocchi I've ever owned . To my surprise they were perfect as is. Upon talking with Norco's (Canadian distributor) tech support folks, I found out they now spec the heavy springs as standard for us hard riding Canadians. Therefore I've saved money! Way to go, NORCO

Similar Products Used:   Z-1's, Z-3's, etc.

Bike Setup:   Norco 2002 Fluid XTR/XT/Raceface/Blackspire

Submitted by Brown Teeth a Cross Country Rider from Lost Coast California

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2003

Strengths:    Trouble free AND easy to maintain and works out of the box with no breakin and no silly lube holes. Oil over coli is what god rides. Can there be a reason? Is he lazy? Oh my

Weaknesses:    Bit of flex but doesn't hurt the ride I'm tall and 200 lbs so running the fork at the end of the uncut streerer might be in play

Bottom Line:
    Love the z-1, my old 00's still going strong so I was happy to drop $350 on a late 2002. Plush and while it has a bit less flex at 30 mm works well as a trail fork for larger people. Can't go wrong unless your hucking huge and don't have a clue, if that's your MO go monster and get ready to be passed on the way up.

Purchased At:   speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   manachews, fox (has potential but give it a year or two)

Bike Setup:   Latest is a late 2002 Marin attack, with no tool adjustable 4/5/6 travel, also use only King headsets they are the bomb!

Submitted by steven Trottier a Downhiller from north carolina

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2002

Strengths:    well i broke this fork going off a 5 foot wall drop to flat. snapped in two. but before that this fork was great nice smooth travel and it seemed strong.?

Weaknesses:    broken the top if the stanchions both snapped off. not very strong.

Bottom Line:
    my fork broke and now i have to wait and see what marzocchi is going to do about it. i liked it wile it lasted. any fork should stand up to a 5 foot drop.

Favorite Trail:   urban

Purchased At:   a friend

Similar Products Used:   i have never broken a fork before, so i have never used one like this. probobly getting something bigger like a monster or a super t.

Bike Setup:   24 le toy 3, fsa bmx,new fork on the way.

Submitted by Crazy Jake a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2002

Strengths:    Looks so great it can get your rod stroked

Weaknesses:    Sometimes a bush pig wants to stroke yer rod... no thanks

Bottom Line:
    The bottom line is, gentlemen, if you want to get yer knob sucked as often as possible, but the Marzocchi Z1 Freeride. Hell, they'll even lick yer poo poo if you ask 'em to. This fork is genuinely impressive.

Favorite Trail:   Boogieman

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Supernova, Z1 MCR

Bike Setup:   Brodie Holeshot, mostly stock... mostly.

Submitted by Sam a Downhiller from Massachusetts

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2002

Strengths:    It is very strong for a single crown fork. It has taken many five or so foot drops and lots of dirt jumping. Definatley worth the price I paid for it.

Bottom Line:
    Buy this fork.

Favorite Trail:   Vietnam

Purchased At:   Belmont Wheelworks

Bike Setup:   2001 P.3 w/ z.1 fr, hayes purple dh brakes, raceface ns dh cranks, mrp, azonic seat, xt derailliuer, lx shifter

Submitted by Steve Guderyan a Weekend Warrior from Nanaimo BC Canada

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2002

Strengths:    Awesome Fork Feels Nice to ride And Looks Good

Weaknesses:    Nothing Yet

Bottom Line:
    Gives you a very smooth ride cant even feel some decent sized bumps every thing is adjustable so there are no nasty rebounds un less you want them, A bit big for the nitro frame cuz im only soppost to have 3" travel but it gets looks and comments

Favorite Trail:   The Abyss

Purchased At:   Pacific Rim Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Manitou, Rock Shox

Bike Setup:   norco Nitro Z1 FR, Axiom Riser bars, Single digit 7 V brakes, Ritchey SPD, Wheel Tech(rocky mtn) wheels

Submitted by Mike Smith a Downhiller from North Providence, RI

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2002

Strengths:    This thing is awesome. I can hardly feel Medium sized rocks in the trail.. None of that space project rebound. Great fork, best 350 ive ever spent. Its a bomber..

Weaknesses:    Well, its got this little sucking noise if i listen to it hard enough.. but.. i cant hear it when im bombing down hills or anything while riding.........so it doesnt really matter.

Bottom Line:
    Its a beastly fork, i cant believe how plush it is.. Nice travel. NO REBOUND FROM HELL.

Favorite Trail:   Everywhere but Pavement

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   RST Something Xl or whatever(the ultimate piece of crap) RockShox Duke XC

Submitted by Bill Cosby a Downhiller from Utah

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2002

Strengths:    has never bottomed out. No problems. Not even ecc.

Weaknesses:    Makes top out noises.

Bottom Line:
    Great fork but I am going to get something with more travel.

Favorite Trail:   the one behind my house

Purchased At:   my friends house

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Magnum (awesome) and SYNC (sucks).

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Bullit. full xt, vanilla rc, Hayes hydros, and you can't forget the best parts the primo pros and the Ruffian lock-ons.

Submitted by Harry Hackett a Downhiller from Southampton, England

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2002

Strengths:    Works well
    Looks good i love that blue
    Marzocchi quality

Weaknesses:    Flexy
    I think i've cracked them somewhere there making that horrible cracking noise!
    Oh and the adjusters fell off.

Bottom Line:
    Ok, I ordered a set of Marzocchi Z1 MQR 20's, when they arrived they had evidently been used :-( and had no axel therefore i sent them back. My good friend nick lent me his Z1 Freerides which are a very nice fork and i was impressed with them. Even though i thought they were a little flexy (probaly cos im used to bolt thru). Good fork. Oh and by the way when i sent my MQR's back they had run out of them so they are sending me some 2003 forks at trade!!!! How cool.

Favorite Trail:   Rogate

Purchased At:   hardgrooves Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Psylo Sl, XC, Z1 Cr, MCR, MQR 20 etc.

Bike Setup:   Kona Stab, Marzocchi Z1 Freeride ECT, Doublewide on hope bulb, Doubletrack 24" on hope bulb, Hope C2's, Easton, Middleburn, Race Face etc.

Submitted by Konacopia a Weekend Warrior from L.A.

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2002

Strengths:    Very Stiff
    Very Plush
    Adjustability that works
    Quality build

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy
    QR20 system is not exactly "quick"

Bottom Line:
    Well after riding a Manitou X-vert R DC a friend gave me, I finally broke down and bought into the Bomber movement. It has to be one of the best decisions I've ever made. This thing actually works! The 5" of travel is really plush and holds up well to my big clydesdale self. Although I've bottomed this thing out on occasion (not very easy to do), it didn't feel harsh or jar anything loose which can't be said about alot of forks out there (I'm sure Extra Heavy springs would solve this). The 20mm axle makes a big difference in carving turns and responds well to quick input without the usual torsion deflection from standard axled forks. This from a single crown!

I bought this from Supergo which has a sale on some good forks right now. It was either between this or a Fox Vanilla which looked really good too. I had the salesman bring me out a Fox and a Marzocchi (which happened to be the last one) to compare. After looking at both of the forks I asked his opinion on which would be the better fork for freeride/urban riding. He promptly packaged up the Fox and took it back into the storeroom. This guy actually sold me the cheaper fork so this guy gave an actual hard opinion rather than try to sell me the pricier bit. He rang me up and back home I went to check out the fork. Upon inspection at home, I realized he gave me a QR20 version instead. I was kinda bummed since I had to relace the wheel with the supplied hub then I realized that I bought a $550 fork for $409! Talk about savings. Anyway, thanks to the Supergo guy for a great recommendation on the Marzocchi's and the unintended extra discount! You can't go wrong with this fork. Especially at this price.

Favorite Trail:   Da Bumps