Marzocchi MXR 2002 Front Shocks

4.89/5 (53 Reviews)

• 80mm to 100mm travel
  • NEW open bath SSVF valving
  • Lo-pressure air or coil springs
  • 1-piece Mg Monolite sliders
  • External preload & rebound control
  • 30mm aluminum stanchions

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Jonny a Cross Country Rider from Cali

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2010

Strengths:    Durable, Great Great Ride

Weaknesses:    Slightly Heavy.

Bottom Line:
    I've had this for since 2002 and its 2010 now. Never change the oil. I rode it quite a bit and it had held up. Its basically a motorcycle fork so thats why its so durable. Made in Italy.

I would try and get one of these forks used if I didn't already have one. The newer forks are probably smoother, but not even close to the durability this one dished out.

I never did anything to this for for the 8 years I owned it. Probably time to change the oil.

Similar Products Used:   Other Air Forks

Bike Setup:   Komodo Aluminum Frame in Black.

Submitted by Roger Ramjet a Cross Country Rider from Sunny Brisbane

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2006

Strengths:    Bombproof, durability, rebound adjustment, ass-saving capability, made in Italy, not Taiwan

Weaknesses:    They dont make 'em any more

Bottom Line:
    This is the fork NASA astronauts will use for their mountain bikes when they land on Mars.

Could this possibly be the XT thumbshifters of the fork world???

Simple, and it works. Should i be servicing them after 4 years of mud, dust and general abuse?

Upgrade the springs, learn to keep fork slightly compressed if you are out of the saddle and climbing and you'll never complain about these puppies. Fox are definitely more complex and more expensive, everything else is a wet noodle by comparison.

Keep it simple, keep it real, stick with coils.

Favorite Trail:   soft, with waterbars and pointing downhill

Purchased At:   Phantom cycles

Similar Products Used:   None, not interested in inferior copies

Bike Setup:   Cool flaming skull sticker, silver spokes and black rims, profile bar ends, XT and XTR, bald tyres for commuting

Submitted by Ville a Weekend Warrior from Finland

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2004

Strengths:    -Smooth performance ja very stiff structure
    -follows the surface very well and rebound control is wide and effective.
    -cheap
    -good looking
    -I regard it's the easiest fork to maintain on planet

Weaknesses:    -At this price I don't find any weakness or dissapoinments on this fork!

Bottom Line:
    It eats all kind off bumps and roughs on the trail ahead however you ride, smoothly and without any uncotrollable bounces. I have Hayes hfx-9 on the front end and the fork don't flex under hard braking. The fork is well damped and controlled and it's smooth performance will make bumpy terrain feel like flat pavement. The progressivity is very good, I don't have ever bottomed it out alltough I weight about 95kg and my riding style is a mix of both xc and light freeride. The conclusion is that this fork is worth of money.

Favorite Trail:   röllimetsä trailssit

Purchased At:   at second-hand market

Similar Products Used:   Sid Race, Marzocchi Z.1, Judy SL, Manitou black comp

Bike Setup:   GT I-drive xcr 2000

Submitted by tom a Cross Country Rider from bristol

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2004

Strengths:    Cheap!!, Light, Looks pretty darn good, and It rides great. Stiff, and pretty plush under my 220lbs.

Weaknesses:    The Manual Sucks. It's got like 8 pages, and it covers ALL of their 2002 forks, in 5 languages. It's useless. My Fat A@@ could probably use stiffer springs, but that's not the fork's fault.

Bottom Line:
    I have the SRX Coil with preload, and rebound damping Adjustments.

The Good: Firstly, the price. My friend bought it new at tht bike shop for $210 (including tax) on clearance last year. It was WAY too long for his older schwinn frame (i.e. CHOPPER FORK) so i traded him a shorter travel 2001 RS Judy for it ($80 on ebay). So my price for this was $80US. I wasn't even in the market for a fork, just doing him a favor. Figuring this would be a fork for a cheap "spare parts" bike that I would build up.
    I didn't even know what model it was, until i took the protecting tape off the back that was covering the model decal.

Once I figured out what Model it was, and read the reviews here on it. and decided to take the Psylo SL (2001) off of my single speed, and try this one out.

I've only ridden it a few days now, but it blows the Judy away, handles my weight better than the Psylo SL, and it feels about as good as the Fox Vanilla on my XC bike when i set it to 100mm, and put in the stiffest spring. No lockout or compression like the vanilla, but i'd never use it on this bike anyway ($350 less too).

The BAD: (not much!) First off, Recycle the users manual. It is useless. I couldn't even figure out from the users manual which model fork i had! The dealer had even written in the WRONG model on the cover. I looked it up on line to figure out the exact model.
    It was a little sticky on the small stuff at first, but It works good for me now. It just needed to break it in (the manual says 10-15 hours to fully break in the fork.) after a few rides, it was running smooth.
    I could probably even use a heavier spring, though as i have bottomed it a few times, on some drops.

Over all though, It's very plush, and has plenty of real travel.

Regardless of price, this is a great fork, for anyone looking for an econimic GREAT performing XC fork with the basic controls, and none of the stuff you never use. If you are a "set-it, and forget it" person for fork setup, this is a good one. You can do ALOT with springs, and Oil to tune this fork to your tastes. Just look at the other reviews. Most got them for under $250 US. If you can still find it Get it. It's well worth it.

Purchased At:   LBS in Seekonk, MA USA

Similar Products Used:   Manitou SX Ti, Rockshox Judy, RockShox Psylu, Fox Vanilla.

Bike Setup:   Litespeed OBED Ti frame, single speed.

Submitted by Aaron a Cross Country Rider from Puyallup

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2004

Strengths:    Light and Plush great adjustability.

Bottom Line:
    Just a follow up review, I have ridden this fork hard for two years, through alot of muddy trails. Just changed the oil, it looked great with very little discoloration. the seals and bushings look great. I switched to 10 weight Buzzys and it dramatically slowed down the dampening and still is very responsive at low speeds. This fork is tough to beat, if you can find one buy it. All the new stuff from Marzocchi in this price range is heavier and has an air chamber to deal with, if you can afford it the Marathon S would be a great choice -go coil-

Favorite Trail:   the ones that Blaine makes

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Black, Marzocchi DH3 and Z3 long travel

Bike Setup:   Turner XCE

Submitted by jonny conine from northshore

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2003

Strengths:    Low maintenence coil springs and oil. Its basically a motorcycle fork. No air crap, or laim lockout that will eventually break or seize in some fashion. It works awesome, PERIOD!
    very fast and predictable, makes mntnbiking SAFER

Weaknesses:    Maybe heavy for a cross country race. Go get a light weight wet noodle fork if you want to race. However, you will probably break it or have to maintain it more than the MXR.

Bottom Line:
    The guy below with the Komodo is right, this fork works really well. It takes serious abuse and still works like new. It makes your bike handle like a dream. It will last and last because it is not an air fork which eventually will leak air. If you ride really hard and go down water bars all day you need a fork like this. It will keep you from getting monkey paw. If you climb and want a fork that can steer with precision uphill on steep tough slow climbs, this fork is for you. If you are worried about little bumps like a few reviewers here, maybe you should take up another sport or get some better grips and gloves. Marzocchi, this is a great fork, thank you.

Favorite Trail:   all northshore trails

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Tried Rock Shox and Manatou.

Bike Setup:   Cove Stiffee, Chris King, Shimano XT because it shifts so well and its cheap.

Submitted by Aaron from Puyallup, Wa.

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2003

Strengths:    Adjustability, do it yourself maintenance, rebound really works.

Bottom Line:
    I replaced the springs with Mtn. Speed's, Speed Bomb X-firm springs and 5wt. speed juice to increase small bump sensitivity. The fork came stock with red paint on the springs which means it is their stiffest spring. It was too harsh of a ride. I weigh 185 and only use the rebound on steep downhills. remember to change the oil, differnt oil hieghts and weights will dramatically incease or decrease the plushness.

Favorite Trail:   Sun Top Loop

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi D.H.3, Marzocchi Z3 long travel

Bike Setup:   Turner XCE, Avid discs, Spinergy Xcyclone wheels, Raceface cranks, XTR drivetrain.

Submitted by Roger Ramjet a Cross Country Rider from Canberra, Oztraylia

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2003

Strengths:    silver specks in point job, the fact its not a gay-ass rock shock, whats with all aussie bikes speccing rox chox?
    its made in italy and good quality (believe it or not) works like a dream, the bigger, faster you go the more you appreciate it...within reason, its not a down hill fork. its stupidly simple, maintenance free after a year of mud and abuse and you cant get stiffer springs even

Weaknesses:    its not specced on more bikes. i want to upgrade to 2003 model with ECC cartridge, but this fork looks like it will last forever

Bottom Line:
    its saved me from a nasty accident many times. well worth the weight penalty. easy maintenance springs are cool. had to upgrade springs, i am 180lb and like a firm ride. other reviewers mentioned small bump insensitivity, well its big bump/speed capability more than makes up for it. i've hit a tree square on at speed and no damage, 12 months of abuse and this baby doesn't even look like giving up - giddyup!

Favorite Trail:   its big and its cheesy

Purchased At:   phantom cycles

Similar Products Used:   manitou six (they call it suspension) and psylo - 100mm of nothing then you bottom out

Bike Setup:   KHS softail, crapped out 8 sp drivetrain, thompson seatpost, LX v brakes and brake boosters, look road pedals

Submitted by Balance Beam a Weekend Warrior from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2003

Strengths:    Reliable - no maintenance needed after 1-1/2 years
    Stiff, stout, light enough

Weaknesses:    not super-plush at low speeds

Bottom Line:
    How much more praise does this fork need? I thought it was a great deal at $300, but if you can find it for 220 like folks below, don't hesitate! This fork is perfect for people like me who ride long, rough, steep trails and maybe the occasional loading dock and staircase. Not a racerboy fork - thats what SIDs are for.

It felt like I could ride the same rocky sections twice as fast with this fork than the Manitou - it is very precise, stiff, and confidence inspiring. Where this fork really shines is at speed and with bigger hits. It seems just a little harsh for a 100mm fork when going slow, even on small stuff. This is not a problem, though - I tend to ride much faster now anyway, and it just gobbles the baby heads and boulders at speed like buttered popcorn.

I've only bottomed out once, and not harshly, one time when I landed a 3-1/2' or 4' drop on the front wheel. Not too shabby - I weigh 195 or so (lighter riders may want to get lighter springs). It's saved my ar$e several times, actually, from clumsy landings that really should have dumped me.

I can hardly believe this is the "economy" fork from Marzocchi. It puts rock shox and manitou to shame. I've battered it for over a thousand miles in all weather, with no maintenance at all, and it rides like new.

The valves makes a cool mechanical "squish" noise and the black and red thing is way cool. I only wish it had the gothic lettering like the dirt jumpers.

By the way, I rode an '03 MX-Comp for a day on a rental bike, and it may be even a little nicer. It has 5mm more travel, but mainly the small-bump feel is nearly perfect.

I'm a tough grader - but this fork really does deserve 5 of those day-glo hairballs.

Favorite Trail:   Mackenzie River

Purchased At:   Fat Tire Farm

Similar Products Used:   Manitou SX-E, '03 MX-Comp

Bike Setup:   coil version of fork on Fisher HooKooEKoo steel hardtail

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Danville, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2003

Strengths:    Stiff, and have had no problems.

Weaknesses:    Air model is hard to get the right pressure.

Bottom Line:
    I paid a lot of money for my new bike, and after a year of riding I just don't think this fork is doing a good enough job. It should be more supple in my opinion. I don't think it is doing a good job on smaller bumps, although big hits are just fine.

While most of the reviews here rave about the coil version, I don't like this air fork's pressure settings. The Marzocchi web site says I should be using about 40 lbs of are pressure or something. I have more like 15 lbs, and using even their own shock pump amounts this low are hard to control and make accurate.

I'm considering getting a 2003 MX Comp-ETA. I think that this might better suit me. I'm hoping that half coil half air will be better.

I wanted to rate this air fork lower than 4, but since I haven't had any real problems other than performance I didn't think I should. I gues I have to say it's better than average, cause I know other forks aren't this good, but I want more. My advice? Sounds like the coil version would be great for aftermarket purchase, it's both cheap and reliable.

Purchased At:   Pegasus

Bike Setup:   Allmost stock 2002.5 Rocky Mountain ETS-X50.

Submitted by Bryan a Cross Country Rider from Acworth

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2003

Strengths:    Price/stiffness/low maintence

Weaknesses:    ?

Bottom Line:
    My bike is set up XC for a clydesdale and strength first weight second. This fork was perfect for me, because I wanted to get the most bang for the buck. Without a dought this is the most bang for the buck in front suspension. I wish I would have gotten several.

Purchased At:   price point or somehwere

Similar Products Used:   Manitou junk/Rockshox judy/indy-junk

Bike Setup:   Access frame/XT/Marzocchi MXR/Sun Rhynolights

Submitted by matt a Racer from san diego

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2003

Strengths:    Stiff and predictable and nice BLACK color. Nice adjustability.

Weaknesses:    Maybe a little heavy for some people that might race and need a light light fork with lockout, but this fork works much better than light race forks if your going to ride some serious mountain terrain.

Bottom Line:
    This fork works better than a Atom Race 80. I thought you couldn't top an Atom Race but this fork is better. It works like my forks on my Motocross Bike. You can hear the oil doing its job and you can set the springs stiff which means you probably won't need to upgrade to stiffer springs. I weigh 195 and didn't have to put in stiffer springs. It also has 100mm travel which is very very important if your going to ride down waterlogs all day or do some jumping. If you can locate one of these forks do it.

Similar Products Used:   Atom Race 80mm

Bike Setup:   Jamis Komodo with all 2003 XT and a THUDBUSTER seatpost and AVID Mag brakes with 7.0 Levers.

Submitted by Marc a Weekend Warrior from Saint Joseph, MI

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2003

Strengths:    Everything

Weaknesses:    A little on the heavy side

Bottom Line:
    This is an excellent fork for the money. Much better than anything Manitou or RockShock has put out. It is very predictable and dosent leak. Give you bike a cheap but quality upgrade and buy this.

Similar Products Used:   Manitou, Rock Shock

Bike Setup:   Trek 7000

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from US

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2003

Strengths:    Coil
    Light
    Stiff
    Smooth
    Tough

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet

Bottom Line:
    This is the best all around shock I've used. Smooth on everything from small stutter bumps to bigger hits. I can't notice any flex whatsoever. I carve turns faster now than ever before because of this fork. I have honestly become a better rider because of the MXR. It has instilled much more confidence in my riding. The pre-load and rebound controls actually work on this fork! You can notice a difference when you turn the knobs, unlike some other forks. It may be a little heavy for world class caliber racers, but for beginner racers like me, it works fine. After a lot of research, I decided on the 2002 Marzocchi MXR. Man, am I glad I did! This is the best coil fork around. If I could give more than five chilis, I would