Marzocchi Atom Race 2002 Front Shocks

4.69/5 (32 Reviews)
Weight : 3.75lbs [incl. Easton steertube]

• 80mm or 100mm travel
  • NEW Open Bath HSCV Cartidge
  • Extension Control Cartridge (ECC)
  • Coil springs

Submitted by FcPhun a Racer from California

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2008

Strengths:    Solid, solid
    Plush, smooth

Bottom Line:
    I went back to Marzocchi, and I am GLAD I did!

They make awesome forks and this one does everything I need it to, plus Larry at Mountain High Cyclery gave me a great deal on an '02. I ride a lot and it is a low maintenance, durable fork.

Don't mess with RS or Manitou- get a Marzocchi (or maybe a Fox if you want to pay a lot more).

Submitted by Bo a Cross Country Rider from boulder, co

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2004

Strengths:    Plushness

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
    The previous reviewer really should get a clue how to maintain things before he trashes a product in a review. First of all, the creeping up is very common with the atom race and all it is is that the oil level is off. Marzocchi is notorious about sending forks out with incorrect oil heights, but it is extremely simple to open this fork up, fix the oil height and the ecc works perfectly. Any reputable mechanic would know how to do this and fix the ecc problem. Plus, is it that big of a deal? If the fork is performing its job correctly (suspension) then it should get a good review. My fork is awesome, it requires virtually no maintenance and it instills confidence on any downhill.

Favorite Trail:   monarch crest

Similar Products Used:   SID, Manitou Black

Submitted by Gordon a Racer from Chilliwack, B.C., Canada

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2004

Strengths:    This fork is REALLY sensitive to small bumps, and shows some real promise for jumping. The paintjob's awesome!

Weaknesses:    The outer maetal dents really easily..... Maybe it's my fault. i do way too many bails! There's soooo much flex when doing endos, and looks creepy.

Bottom Line:
    It's kinda flexy, but the strength and plushness makes up for it. Really, the only reason i bought this fork is cuz i like 80/100 mm travel more than the crappy 110's. I bottom them out a lot, but stiffer springs should change that. There's a squishy sound i can't figure out...........

Favorite Trail:   The windmill

Purchased At:   Jumpers

Similar Products Used:   wedge, Z3, boxxer, psylo........

Bike Setup:   kona stuff, Z2, XT, Raceface, King headset

Submitted by Jan Solar a Weekend Warrior from Prague, Czech Republic

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2004

Strengths:    see other reviews...

Weaknesses:    CREAKS !!!

Bottom Line:
    This fork creaks (in cryofit). Marzocchi say that each third fork (production year 2002) has this problem and that it doesn't affect functionality. So I try to ignore it. Otherwise, this fork is awesome.

Favorite Trail:   Beskydy (in US - Ruston)

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Z1, Z2, Judy, Black, Skareb, Suntour XC-Pro-SL, ...

Bike Setup:   Merida XC Mission, LX/XT

Submitted by Rob T a Cross Country Rider from San Jose CA

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2003

Strengths:    Durability,(you can forget about it for at least a year)stiffness,ease and simplicity of maintainance,smooth,plush action

Weaknesses:    I with they had come up with the ETA a year earlier.Its a lot more useful to the average trail rider like myself.I don't use the lockout too much,except on long,steep,smooth climbs.The new manuals stink.They aren't model specific anymore.They're mostly vague,but have enough info to get the job done.I got the same manual as this fork with my Marathon and the word Marathon isn't anywhere in there!The manuals I got with my '99 Bombers were great.They explained any maintainance or overhaul procedure you would want to do.It was more like a shop manual.These new ones are more like the owners manual you get with a car.Fortunately Marzocchis are pretty simple forks to understand.

Bottom Line:
    This fork is typical Marzocchi.It works great.You don't have to work on it much.They last a long time.After you change the oil,it feels like a new fork again.I wanted to try a Fox but they want way too much money for those.I got this fork and a Chris King headset for $450,and got my other Bombers on sale too.Fox forks are rarely discounted.To me there really is no other choice in forks besides Bombers,unless I become rich.Over the years I've abused my Bombers in all sorts of conditions.I ride all winter in all weather.Most of my rides are 4 hours or more.I've never had an oil leak or any other failure.All I've ever done to the Bombers is change the oil.

Favorite Trail:   Any less than 3 ft wide and or rocky,rooty and rough or any in Downieville

Purchased At:   speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   02 marathon,99z2 bam,99 atom bomb,halson forks,rocksux mag21,20

Bike Setup:   Turner 02 with xce rockers,hopey damper and many other goodies.I run the stock springs with the preload cranked down most of the way.I use the smallest oil volume recommended to get a nice linear action.I weigh about 170.

Submitted by FcPhun a Cross Country Rider from Fort Collins, CO USA

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2003

Strengths:    Solid, solid
    Plush, smooth

Don't need/use lock out much.

Bottom Line:
    I went back to Marzocchi, and I am GLAD I did!

Purchased At:   Mountain High Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   MARS Elite

Bike Setup:   Rocky Element

Submitted by nick m a Cross Country Rider from meriden, ct,

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2003

Strengths:    durability, handles every kind of terrain, doesnt bottom out harshly, and everything else

Weaknesses:    ecc lever can be hard to flip while riding

Bottom Line:
    awesome fork had it for about 2 1/2 months had the stiffest springs put in and this thing rocks. have had absolutely no problems at all handles everything for little bumps to mid drops. i dont use the the lockout i find it unneccesary but it worked well when i tried it out. ideal fork for the all around trail rider who might enter a few races.

Purchased At:   phattire.com

Similar Products Used:   manitou sx, manitou black comp

Bike Setup:   2001 marin quake 8.0 frame, xt f/r derailleurs, rf turbine cranks easton risers, kore stem, xt hubs mavic 317 rims syncros seatpost, eggbeaters, king headset, avid mech's

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from Denver

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2003

Strengths:    Stiff, plush, all metal construction, zero maintenance, same internals as the Z1.

Weaknesses:    Only getting 3.75" of travel. Oh the humanity!
    Yes, it could be a little lighter, that's why they made the X-fly.

Bottom Line:
    This is designed as a trail fork, not a XC race fork, so get over the weight non-issue. Think of it as the Z1's little brother. The weight, along with the ECC, sticks the front wheel to the ground on the climbs, so it actually helps you on the way up. As for on the way down, the fork sucks up everything, keeps the front wheel on the ground on chatter and goes where you point it. What could be better?

It easily blows Rock Shox and Manitou away. Ride a RS or Manitou, then switch to a broken-in Marzocchi. You'll never look back. As for Fox, which I've never ridden, consider this....

I know a bike shop owner who's just finished building his no-holds-barred freeride/trail bike. He's been in the business a long time and has ridden everything. He's putting the best of everything on his bike and his fork's a Z1. 'Nuf said.

If you can still find one of these, get it. Now.

Favorite Trail:   White Ranch

Purchased At:   SuperGo

Similar Products Used:   Manitou SX-R, Rock Shox Judy 100

Bike Setup:   Titus Racer X, Thomson stem/post, Protaper bar, King headset, relaced King/Bonti Racelites, Avid Mag V-brakes, Terry Ti Fly saddle, Stan's Tubeless, whole lotta XTR...adds up to about 25.5 lbs.

Submitted by jaco modiano a Cross Country Rider from colombia

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2003

Strengths:    awesome plush ride, great looks, great price, ecc works fine and is very easy to activate while riding(unlike what other reviewers say)makes me ride faster in adverse terrain

Weaknesses:    doesnt get the advertised 4 inches
    weight over 4lbs is not a weakness since it adds to rigidity and thus to ride quality

Bottom Line:
    I wish id made my decision earlier to switch from the atom 80 to 100. the difference is astounding. at this point it seems marzx never give the amount of advertised travel. i was only getting 2" from the atom 80 and now only 3 1/4 from the atom 100. nonetheless its still in the break in period and it feels great already. ecc works exactly like it should and can easily be activated while riding-just move the switch and press hard on the front end. i dont really use this feature a whole lot though. in any case, the extra weight, about .5lbs is not a concern for this beauty. i can feel myself getting faster and more in control. im expecting to be happy with this buy for a long time.

Favorite Trail:   pelicano

Purchased At:   universalcycles

Similar Products Used:   marz z3, atom 80

Bike Setup:   Cloud 9 NRS

Submitted by Erik a Cross Country Rider from Huntington Beach

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2003

Strengths:    Price.... Very stiff... Soaks up the big hits and everything in between.. Looks great...

Weaknesses:    Break in period can be brutal, forearms are toast.. I hear the decals don't last long.. ECC creaps up and is hard to activated while riding.. tad portly nothing serious

Bottom Line:
    Great fork, no doubt about it... Handles everything I can throw at it.. The weight is noticable up front, makes it very front heavy.. Nice on climbs, keeps the front end on the ground.. Very nice on the downhills.. Soaks up everything from little studder bumbs to large ruts.. Grab on if you can get one...

Favorite Trail:   Pinenot, SJT, Noble Cyn

Purchased At:   Superblow

Similar Products Used:   Mars Elite, Mars Carbon, SX-R, SX-E, RS Judy, RS Mag 21..

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Home Grown Pro, XT/XTR, Mavic Cross Max's, stock

Submitted by Simon a Racer from Northern NJ

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2003

Strengths:    Stiff
    Looks hot
    so smooth

Weaknesses:    Stickers peel

Bottom Line:
    This fork does everything they say it will. It works great, ecc works, plushest fork ive ridden (including fox), doesnt leak....no flex...simply a great all around fork. I race XC on it. The confidence i have on the downhills thanks to this fork is well worth the extra pound. No complaints, except that going from 80 to 100mm, i slackened the head angle a bit, but thats not the forks fault.

Favorite Trail:   Plattekill

Purchased At:   335

Similar Products Used:   Sid SL, fox vanilla

Bike Setup:   Trek 8900....nothing stock. Cane creeks, full xt, times, king headset.....good stuff

Submitted by Michael A a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2003

Strengths:    Reliability, looks, workmanship, easy to maintain

Weaknesses:    weight at 4.3 lbs for the 100mm, stickers seem to peel off easily, can't get the full 4" of travel advertised

Bottom Line:
    This is one fine fork for the money. Like most people, I can't get the full 100mm of travel. I will try and adjust the oil level. Once broken in, they get smoother than the first times you took it out. I removed the top caps only to find my springs are stuck or held in by the bottom nuts. Once I removed these nuts to free the spring, all my fork oil drained out on my garage floor. I went out and bought new 7.5 wt fork oil and got it to it's proper level. Still can't get the full 100mm of travel. I'm short by about 1/4 inch. Still these forks are so stiff and so plush. I considered a fox, but their prices are too high. With the Atom Race 2002, you can't beat the deal for a great fork.

Favorite Trail:   Wilder Ranch

Similar Products Used:   Judy 100mm, Manitou Mars

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR with modified Mountain speed rear end

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Gilroy,CA

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2003

Strengths:    Bullit proof
    Durability
    looks
    easy to service
    reputation
    smooth as silk

Weaknesses:    weight, heavy at 4.3 lbs
    stickers come off easily

Bottom Line:
    I owned a Atom 80 and loved it so much that I bought the Atom 100. Same quality build and that famous Marzocchi plush. My only complaint would be that on both forks, I could never get the full travel advertised. On the 80, I got 2 3/4 inches max and on the 100 3 3/4 inches max. With springs removed, you get the full 4 inches, so it would appear with springs installed, it would be impossible to get the full 4 inches claimed. However, these forks are so plush and smooth, who the hell cares for the last 1/4". I had Manitous and Rock shox before Marzocchi's and none work as smooth or were as reliable as the coil Marzocchi's. I've tested the Marzocchi air forks and did not find them as smooth or reliable as the coils. It may be heavier due to the coils, but I'd take weight over reliability any day. All air forks I've owned, and I had 3, all leaked within six months. Bottom line, if you want a smooth, reliable, fork, this would be at the top of anybody's list. since it's a 2002 fork, you can't beat the price at $299.

Favorite Trail:   Soquel Demonstration Forest

Similar Products Used:   Atom 80
    Manitou Mars Elite
    RS Judy
    Manitou 4

Bike Setup:   2000 FSR Pro

Submitted by DrHog a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2003

Strengths:    Stiffness, plushness, set 'n' forget

Weaknesses:    Could use another inch of travel

Bottom Line:
    I chose the Atom Race for both my Sugar and my hardtail bikes. I was looking to keep the bike weight down, and ultimately decided against the SID due to fears that it would be too flexy for my 200# frame. The AR was a good choice, as it has delivered great performance in a reasonably light package. Although this shock has been a superior performer for me, I think that its appeal is somewhat limited. Most racers (except Clydesdales) will be put off by the 3.75# weight. Most trail and free riders will want more than 80mm travel (I see their point). Riders looking to upgrade from an entry-level fork and not spend a fortune will be highly impressed with the Marzocchi. You will get a bombproof fork that will track smoothly through even the roughest terrain.

Favorite Trail:   National