White Brothers XC4 Front Shock

4.75/5 (12 Reviews)
Weight : 2.9lbs MSRP : $699.95

• Total Travel: 72.5mm (2.85")
  • Damping: Total Air System
  • Features: Precision integrated bridge assembly, oversized 32mm stanchions, wet bath lubrication, torque box crown, Easton® Steerer

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by sam0035 a Racer from canada

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2011

Strengths:    durable, not that heavy, nice looking overall great fork

Weaknesses:    not as much travel

Bottom Line:
    great fork a little bit old but can still keep up with the competition

Favorite Trail:   single track

Purchased At:   can't remember

Bike Setup:   columbia frame everything else custom

Submitted by Ed Merkel a Racer from Germany

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2008

Strengths:    Light,precise steering,totally tunable,quality on finishings and materials.

Weaknesses:    Not longer made,It requires more maintenance than usual forks,but it´s oK for me.

Bottom Line:
    This is a vintage fork(2001 model)I got it used but in mint conditions,but it works and feels maybe better than the new ones.It requires,at first,to be set it up according to your weight and riding style.So once is done,it works perfect. I really like when I hammer on the pedals this fork don´t bob at all. This fork is race intended and focused on those guys who have fun giving maintenance,tuning and set up his or her bikes.

This was one of the best forks ever made and it worth to pay every penny,cent or euro.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Skarebs,Sids,Marzochis.

Bike Setup:   Salsa Moto rapido,full xt,dt swiss 240 wheels,easton here and there,maxis larsen tt,fizik seat,und so weiter.

Submitted by Ed Merkel a Cross Country Rider from Germany

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2007

Strengths:    High quality fork,looks awesome,very,very light(pretty close to SID),stiffness,beefy 32mm stanchions,twin air chambers,No Bob under standing stroke, just one set up and ride,very smooth over rough terrains,excellent handling on technical path.

Weaknesses:    It needs some set up before riding,but is easy to do it.Some maintenance every 10 hours of riding(if need it).No longer made !!!

Bottom Line:
    This is the first fork I bought used and may be is one of the best I had. When I received ,it looks some Retro style,but I like it and the guy who sold to me sent all the air sprung and some washers that were supplied when new. I really had no idea how this works,so I downloaded the XC-4 manual,available on the White brothers website,and I realize what the small parts are for. It will take some minutes to set it up,and put the right air sprung on both air chambers;This is made according to your weight and riding style.Once is set up,no more adjustments are need it.

The first testing day,I was very concerning about the fork travel (73mm), and I choose one rough trail to see how it will feel over rocky,rooty,mudy and dusty terrain and It was a very pleasant tour with no surprises,no doubt this was one of the best forks available.The fork travel was no a problem over technicals and rough terrain,and it really feels smooth and stiff where it needs. Most of the terrain where I live are mountains and the climbs are long and when I stand over the pedals this forks doesn't bob at all so one more reason to keep it for long,long time. This forks were made to last so if you have the chance to get one,be sure to get the air sprung. Remember,this are need it to set it up according your weight and riding style.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Rock shox,Manitou,Marzocchi,RST,Suntour.

Bike Setup:   Airborne Lucky strike,full XT,Dt Swiss wheels,Time xs pedals.

Submitted by Chris from Las Vegas

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2006

Strengths:    Look, Stiffness, weight

Weaknesses:    Have some disassembly to adjust.

Bottom Line:
    Very nice Fork. I have only had it a short time so far but it seems very nice. If it is as good as my 2005 White Brothers XC.8 I will be one happy camper. It took a little while to set up but it functions great. You cant feel it working it just works. Super adjustable set it as firm or soft as you like. I Really like my other WB fork it is a set it and forget it deal. Just keep up on service and you will be great for a long time.

Favorite Trail:   Cowboy trail

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   White Borthers XC-4, Rock Shox Psylo Gold, Marzocchi Marathon S, Manitou Mars, Manitou SX, Marzocchi Z-5

Bike Setup:   Independent Steel Deluxe, Full XTR ,White brothers XC-4

Submitted by Jason Dubin a Weekend Warrior from Potomac MD, USA

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2003

Strengths:    This fork responds with a great aggressive attitude. It is wiiling to accept just about anything that you can throw at it,with finess. The look is great and the white brothers name is not to well known so you wont see to many of them around. So feel lucky to be an owner and rider of one of these xc4's.

Weaknesses:    Have not really found anything major except for when it cry's if I dont ride her.

Bottom Line:
    A great fork for an aggressive or cross country rider. It holds up extremely well(I have been ridding it hard in Colorado for the last year).

Favorite Trail:   Mary's Loop

Purchased At:   Friend @ White Brothers

Similar Products Used:   A demo fork from WB

Bike Setup:   Klein Attitude with bontroger crank, deore, White Brothers seet post shock, Factory Forks XC4 WB fork, Stock Wheels, tires, and brakes.

Submitted by matt from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2003

Strengths:    weight, adjustability, machined parts, plushness

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
    If you luck your way into one of these like I did start smiling now and get a good headstart. It hugs bumps and corners and you WONT lost traction.

Similar Products Used:   Duke XC, EXR

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Pisgah, King headset, Avid mech discs, single speed w/white industries drive train

Submitted by Brian a Weekend Warrior from Scotland

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2002

Strengths:    Undeniably well made forks using top notch materials.Extremely smooth action.

Weaknesses:    Try mating a disc brake to it.

Bottom Line:
    This was my replacement for my XC3 which also suffered from a serious design flaw.
    I`ve wanted a set of these forks for years having used all the usual Rock Shox,Manitou items.............well what can I say? Its not what I expected from White brothers.Are the disc mounts on the legs for show?The legs are that close on both sets(XC3/XC4) that the discs were actually rubbing on the lower legs.
    With a rim brake they`re ace but maybe that was only the 2001 models that are at fault.

Purchased At:   Ricci ltd England

Similar Products Used:   too many to mention.

Bike Setup:   custom hardtail with all the right bits.

Submitted by Jeff a Racer from Calgary, Alberta

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2001

Strengths:    Light, smooth, infinitely adjustable, torsionally stiff

Weaknesses:    You may get lots of riders trying to stop you to ask about it.

Bottom Line:
    I've been riding and racing on the XC-4 for a year and a half. After 10-12 hours of break-in, the fork became buttery smooth. They are easy to work on and stay clean and functional in even the worst conditions. The fork increased my technical riding abilities significantly. Riding over roots that run diagonally to the trail used to redirect me, now I can cross these roots straight down the trail and not worry about picking the "right line". The air cartridges are infinitely adjustable. You can set up the stiffness, the rebound and the dampening. The air cartridges have not leaked air yet. I check them every other month and have never found them low on pressure. If you want a fork that will tackle the trail and will go where you point it, you should check this puppy out. Avoid the usual rat pack with their generic forks. Lead the trail.

Favorite Trail:   Anything with dirt

Similar Products Used:   Judy, Judy with Total Air Cartridges, Sid, Marzocchi Bomber

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Obed, mix of Race Face, XTR, Precision Billet, Mavic 517

Submitted by Timchi a Racer from Canada

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2001

Strengths:    stiff, light, good looking

Weaknesses:    no boots, play in bushings even when new

Bottom Line:
    I'll be happy if these forks last. THey are stiffer than anything else out there and that alone is worth the extra money. Just take them on one ride and you will never want a racing fork from the other guys. I'll follow up on the bushing durability. Out of the box the fork has a little fore-aft play. I don't know whether to worry much about this. Ta ta.

Similar Products Used:   SID, Manitou SXti

Bike Setup:   hardtail

Submitted by Jim a Racer from Crested Butte

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2000

Strengths:    stiff! Steers precise, not like a crosscountry fork, excelent finish, trusty tuneable air cartridge

Weaknesses:    making initial tuning adjustments is a bit laborious

Bottom Line:
    I wanted to write something concerning White Bros. customer service.It's vastly improved. I 've had some of the same problems with them in the past as a few of the other reviews talk about, but I recently sent them my fork, damaged in a crash, they replaced the damaged parts, and sent it right off without charging me a thing, All in a timely manner.
    Of course the fork handles like no other cross country fork out there. I couldn't believe how the handling of my bike changed when I put this fork on. Don't waste your money on a fork that's half a pound lighter, it won't steer.

Favorite Trail:   409