White Brothers SC92 UL Front Shock

3.87/5 (15 Reviews)

white brothers SC92 UL

Submitted by MotoMike a Cross Country Rider from Arizona

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2001

Strengths:    I weigh around 190pds - and w/a full camelback probably around 200pds. This fork is very stiff and light. Believe me when you are riding on the rocks the last thing you want is for your fork to flex and for you to byte it !
The maintenance is very easy on this fork. It's easy to take apart and easy to put back together. For those of you experiencing alot of stiction on this fork try putting the shim washers under the negative return springs. You will be amazed at the improvement in the fork when it comes to handling the small bumps. Also, unlike the folks below I haven't had any major problems w/the air cartridges. Yes air cartridges leak air but I have found that they don't leak enough air over the course of a ride to make any difference (1 to 2 p.s.i. at most).

Weaknesses:    - You have to check the cartridge air pressure before every ride.

Bottom Line:
If you a big guy looking for relatively light fork that has virtually NO FLEX then I would highly reccommend this fork.
I have been VERY happy with it's performance. You have to spend some time tuning this fork to your tastes. I would highly reccommend putting the shims (washers) under the negative return springs. It really helps the fork with small bump performance.

Favorite Trail:   Schultz Creek - Little Bear

Purchased At:   Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Rocksux Judy SL, Manitou Sx-Flex ti

Bike Setup:   Titus MotoLite with all sorts of nice hardware.

Submitted by Jon Norstog a Cross Country Rider from Window Rock AZ USA

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2000

Strengths:    Stiff, light weight, good appearance, good ride w/ no stiction, right from the start

Weaknesses:    Had a leaking air cartridge

Bottom Line:
I weigh abt 200# and ride pretty hard, including rockpiles and dropoffs. The fork is as stiff as any single crown I've ever used. The left side air cartridge started leaking within a few weeks of purchase. I called White Bros. they referred me to Eko Sport, who makes the cartridges. Ross at Eko fessed right up they had a few bad cartridges in their first run and had me mail mine in. It was an easy swap, I got a new cartridge back in aboput a week. The fork still leaks down a bit, but it takes several weeks.

I build frames and use White Bros. as my main OE fork. I believe the combination of fairly light weight and a good price is right there for most riders. I have had one rider who has had constant problems with his DC90, blowing cartridge after cartridge. I'm working on White Bros. to beef up the cartridges on their coil sprung models, or maybe include a blowoff valve.

I do recommend getting a set of Lizard Skins for your fork.

I don't talk to their warranty guys. I usually call the OE rep and ask him to see what he can do if there is a warranty problem. That works fairly well, but is not an option for most buyers. It helps, I think, if you buy thru a shop or a macher who has a personal relationship with the company. You buy mail order, you're an orphan.

Who should buy this fork? Any weight cross-country rider.
That's my thought, anyway.

Favorite Trail:   behind the Window Rock

Purchased At:   direct from White Bros.

Similar Products Used:   Mag 21 many others just tested

Bike Setup:   Thursday custom R531 hardtail ("Je Ne Rerette Rien"), mixed bag of good equipt, WTB Velociraptors

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2000

Strengths:    Super Stiff
Confidence inspireing
Super plush
Very easly serviced

Weaknesses:    A little over priced but worth it,
adjustments not on the fly, but once you get it dialed it's like butter.

Bottom Line:
I don't think any fork will please these guys below. First of all around 3.5lbs is the lightest 4 iinch travel I've heard of, and for how stiff it is I'd still be happy if it weighed 4lbs. Couple tips for the guys below, one try adjusting your compression that will change where the fork rides in it's travel. For the guys that have leaky cartridges, you probably have a bad seal somewhere in the fork, call total air, order a seal kit(I think they cost like 5 bucks or something, most of the time they just give them to you) and then replace all your seals. Once you pull the cartridge apart you'll laugh at how simple it is. I blew out a cartridge last year, ordered the seal kit thinking I would have to send it back when I failed misserably to repair it. The seal replacements ended up taking me five minutes and it was as good as new. If you've ever tried to replace seals in a SID this simplicity will be a god sent. And for the people that have sticky forks I've seen this problem on a friends fork, it seems that there are some duds every once in a while, I would call white brothers I'm sure they'd be able to help out. Other than that This is the best fork I've Owned!!

Similar Products Used:   SID XC, SID SL, Boxxer, SC70UL, and tested many others.

Bike Setup:   Truth, XTR, White Brs.

Submitted by uraldum a Cross Country Rider from san diego, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2000

Strengths:    stiff

Weaknesses:    heavy, WAY OVERPRICED, lots of stiction

Bottom Line:
Absolute garbage. Stiction is a problem anytime but five minutes after a fresh service on this thing. Rides way too far into it's travel with suggested pressure settings. And I only weigh 150. For $700 it should at least come with a pump. I'll give it one star for being stiff as hell. Otherwise it gets a big fat 0.

Similar Products Used:   judy sl, white bros. ds-3(crap also), marzocchi z1cr

Bike Setup:   intense tazer, bomber z1cr

Submitted by CG a Cross Country Rider from Castro Valley, CA

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2000

Strengths:    Stiffness

Weaknesses:    Total Error cartridges

Bottom Line:
Total Error cartridges suck big time. Don't waste yer money. They leak constantly. Would not recommend these cartridges to anyone. White Bros. makes a good product, Englund does not.

Favorite Trail:   ZOOM

Similar Products Used:   SID XC, WB AT3

Bike Setup:   Tracer / XTR

Submitted by RICH a Cross Country Rider from DENVER

Date Reviewed: February 29, 2000

Weaknesses:    Pricey & 3.6LBS. Requires too much maintenance. The manual recommends cleaning every 30 hours or less depending on the riding conditions, which is about once a week during riding season. It never holds air for extended periods. It has lost air on more than 4 occasions on a ride less than 10 miles long. It isn't adustable on the fly. Before every ride you have to check the air to know how much pressure you have. The nipples are made of aluminum, which is already seeing wear. The gage on the pump (MFR?) inteferes with the head tube & cables when I put it on increasing the likihood of damaging the threads. Besides that its just fine.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that I think air forks suck and require too much maintenance. Don't ever leave your pump at home, which is just one more thing to carry. And there is no adjustment; once your out on your ride what you start with is what you'll end with. Sure you can fiddle with your air pressure, but what a hassel. And after a long day of riding I doubt if your air pressure is what you started with.

Favorite Trail:   GUTS

Similar Products Used:   Scott, Manitou, Rock Shox, Marizochhi

Bike Setup:   Turner

Submitted by hugh a Cross-Country Rider from nm

Date Reviewed: December 11, 1999

Strengths:
stiff

Weaknesses:
weight?

Bottom Line:
this isn't any wimpy sid. point and shoot awesome backcountry fork.

good singletrack

lots

moots

Submitted by Big Brain on Brad a Weekend Warrior from Boone, NC

Date Reviewed: November 27, 1999

Strengths:
light, smooth, progressive, looks cool witlh gold Pro Taper bar

Weaknesses:
-progressive
-not the claimed 3.65 travel
-owner's manual includes warning in the unlikely event that both cartridges blow out...
-have to air it up before every ride

Bottom Line:
I guess this would be a good XC race fork- but I've blown several of those stupid air cartridges. It doesn't have as much travel as a SC90, not as smooth as SC90, not as adjustable as SC90, not as reliable as SC90 (a blown cartridge can ruin your ride), BUY AN SC90- YOU'LL BE MUCH HAPPIER
But if you want to buy my SC92UL for $300, email me- it's in very good shape, it doesn't have enough travel for me, but then again I'm now riding a triple-clamp

crack of your momma's ass (double- track, but super burly craters and lots of mushy soft terrain)

6 months

Mag 21 SL
Manitou EFC :)
Judy SL (POS)
Judy XL

Ellsworth Truth

Submitted by Jason M Baker a Cross-Country Rider from Maplewood N.J.

Date Reviewed: November 9, 1999

Strengths:
Stiff as hell

Weaknesses:
A little high on the price

Bottom Line:
The kicks butt. I wanted a shock that had little flex and I was told by a lot of riders to get the White Bros. I took the advice and went with it. I'm glad I did. The folk is really stiff. Me being 200lb + I dont feel any flex.

Ringwood NJ

6 months

Rock Shock SL

Ellsworth Truth w/rock shock SL

Submitted by Derek Dailey a Cross-Country Rider from Indianapolis, IN

Date Reviewed: October 31, 1999

Strengths:
CONSTRUCTION, BPP cartrige adjustability, weight, stiffness, just a great fork.

Weaknesses:
There are so many adjustments some people may be lost. This is a plus for us techno-geeks.

Bottom Line:
This is one of the most well made forks on the market. The stiffness of the fork is amazing. I have better control with this fork than my x-vert. The air cartages are infinatly adjustable. You can fine tune this fork for any rider the way it comes from the factory. The fork has as good of quality trave of any fork iI have ridden. I give this fork 5 chillies.

Any singletrack

Manitou x-vert, Manitou mach 5, Sid SL

Ellsworth Truth
WB SC92-UL

Submitted by Paul a Cross-Country Rider from Indianapolis, IN

Date Reviewed: August 7, 1999

Strengths:
Stiffness, plushness, quality of materials, ease of maintainence, BPP internal air cartridge support.

Weaknesses:
Would like to see on more stock bikes rather than as an upgrade.

Bottom Line:
Second review after using shock for a few months. Still very pleased. Fork works very well in conjuction with rear shock on M4. Better ride than with SX Carbon. Hats off to BPP for product support on their internal air cartridges

many

Rock Shox, Manitou SX Carbon, Zokes

Specialized M4 FSR XC stock except fork.

Submitted by DR BOB a Cross-Country Rider from BOULDER CO

Date Reviewed: July 29, 1999

Bottom Line:
MY PREVIOUS REVIEW WAS MISTAKENLY GIVEN 3 STARS,IT FULLY DESERVES 5 !!!

Submitted by DR BOB a Cross-Country Rider from BOULDER CO

Date Reviewed: July 29, 1999

Strengths:
PLUSH,STIFF,LOWER MAINTENANCE THAN MY GIRLFRIEND!!!

Weaknesses:
PRICE,NOT AS LIGHT AS THEY CLAIM,MORE LIKE3.9LBS!!

Bottom Line:
LOSE THE GIRLFRIEND,BUY THE FORK!!! YOU'LL BE GLAD YOU DID!! AT 190LBS,IM NO LIGHTWEIGHT AND THIS FORK DONT FLEX!IT MAKES ME RIDE FASTER THAN I PROBABLY SHOULD!! 5 FLAMING HORSES!!!!!!!

WHITE RANCH

ALL

SANTA CRUZ SUPERLIGHT,LARGE FRAME

Submitted by Paul a Cross-Country Rider from Indianapolis, IN

Date Reviewed: July 11, 1999

Strengths:
Stiffness, construction quality, plushness, adjustability, easy maintenace.

Weaknesses:
Availablity in most bike stores

Bottom Line:
After installing this fork on my M4 FSR XC I felt better response on my rear suspension also. The Carbon SX is by no means a plush fork only lighter. At .5 additional weight I'll take performance of the SC 92 UL vs extra minimal weight. The 92 UL takes fast repetitve hits better thus more control. Very easy to maintain. Check out the metal on this fork and compare!!

The last one I rode

RS Judy, Sid, Marzocchi
qr-20,

Specialized M4 FSR XC switched out the Manitou SX Carbon

Submitted by kenny a Racer from wisconsin

Date Reviewed: March 29, 1999

Strengths:
just damn stiff and no stiction at all. Still one of the lighter race forks

Weaknesses:
a little heavy on the price side.

Bottom Line:
Not many forks do the job when your 6'4 and 225 pounds. White bros did just that. It is so easy to change performance just by changing oil weight. would like to give a sixth star this fork kicks that much ass

camba

sid= way to much flex
Bomber= way to soft and way overpriced.

swapped for 99 sid that came on zaskar le. best fork i have ridden.