White Brothers SC90 Front Shock

3.83/5 (60 Reviews)

White Brothers SC90 Shock

Submitted by Tungstan Carbide IV a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2002

Strengths:    Easy to pull down and rebulid - stiff.

Weaknesses:    Unlike others below - none really.

Bottom Line:
I've had these since new in '99 - that's four years of flogging, and I've only now blown a cartridge. In that time I've run Lizard Skin boots - that get whipped off and cleaned regularly, and pulled the forx down for a bath every 40hrs or so - per spec. They *always* come out clean. The comment below about the spring retaining cap being a tight fit is sopt on - I shaved mine. I also added brass washers to the lower bolts - replacing the hollow one with a solid one - and run 15mm of motor oil in each leg for wetbath lube.

I expect to get the cartridge fixed - and ride on these for some years yet.

Favorite Trail:   Mik

Similar Products Used:   RS Judy

Bike Setup:   XC dualie

Submitted by Bizario a Cross Country Rider from NW Montana

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2002

Strengths:    Very durable. Has worked well at temps down to -10F so far.

Weaknesses:    Cartridge seal got wanked & caused stiction.

Bottom Line:
I have been on this fork for 3 years now & I do need to replace the top seals. The cartridge seal got a bit sideways & really messed up the feel. Other than that I can say that I will rebuild this fork & keep it on this bike for winter riding.

Favorite Trail:   Cliff Point

Purchased At:   Jensen

Similar Products Used:   Rock shox Indy C, Noleen Elite.

Bike Setup:   Caloi hardtail, White Bros. SC90, White Ind Hubs, Velocity rims. LX XT mix.

Submitted by avi greenbury a Cross Country Rider from London, England

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2001

Strengths:    No flex, very responsive and smooth. I have put speedsprings in and now it has rebound that'll take your eye out! Leave the original ones in! No oil to leak

Weaknesses:    Not very adjustable. Strange disc mount: can't find any adaptors.Also, i have lost the top 5 mm of travel...

Bottom Line:
Very good, very simple. No problems yet, except the loss of travel. Makes a great all-rounder fork. Very low maintennance.

Similar Products Used:   RS Judy Quadros, RST 381,

Bike Setup:   Coyote HT4 set up for XC

Submitted by michael a Racer from new zealand

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2001

Strengths:    very stiff
i have had no problems with the cartrage it was previously a downhill racers fork vry smooth

Weaknesses:    they are hard to adjust
i can not find an adaptor for the mount

Bottom Line:
very good best i have used

Favorite Trail:   makara peak

Purchased At:   marks house

Similar Products Used:   rock sid xc

Bike Setup:   riker, ac cranks,lx-xt, syncross hubs, x517 cermac rims

Submitted by Mungrel a Downhiller from Orem, Utah, USA

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2001

Strengths:    Ridgid, strong, excellent shock-absorbancy, looks.

Bottom Line:
The Hannebrink is an excellent fork. For the size and travel, the fork is fairly light. Great performance as a DH fork, and even performs well at Slick Rock.

Favorite Trail:   MOAB

Purchased At:   Hannebrink

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Super V, XTR

Submitted by Chris Hensley a Weekend Warrior from Washougal Wa.

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2001

Strengths:    Rigid, steers great and have never bottomed them even with light springs. I just keep fresh grease in them and spray silicon on the stantions before every ride and they just keep going year after year.

Weaknesses:    Seals came pre blown from the factory. Service was quick for me but now there is a clunck in the first five mm. of travel that nobody can fix. It also came full of metal shavings. One ride and I have to send the catrige out and clean and regrease.

Bottom Line:
I paid five fattys for this? I`ll take a zoke next time.

Favorite Trail:   any deep woods

Purchased At:   White Bros.

Bike Setup:   Eight year old san andreas, still goin strong

Submitted by jax a Cross Country Rider from san diego

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2001

Strengths:    looks, rigidity

Weaknesses:    blown cartridges.
loose bolts from the factory

Bottom Line:
Buy another fork. This is a pain in the ass. I blew the cartridge in the first week (150lbs cross country rider). This thing is high maintenence and noisy. I am thinking of trying the englund cartridge for it before getting rid of it.

Favorite Trail:   p.c.t.

Purchased At:   bike usa

Similar Products Used:   judy (1996) with englund

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Truth

Submitted by Skinbone Daddy a Cross Country Rider from Ashland, OR

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2001

Strengths:    Friggin' rules. Tracks with no flex. Deep plush travel. I love it.

Weaknesses:    Stanchions are so beefy and rad they can be difficult to mount to an overhead car rack.

Bottom Line:
Man, I know there's already 50 plus reviews on this fork, and I actually read them all. Endless problems, blown seals...man. I had to write this because this fork has treated me SO well. First of all, it rides nicer than anything out there. No, it's not the lightest, but if you want a lighter fork you start to sacrifice things like stiffness and burliness. I want a buff reliable fork and I got one. For the weight this thing rides incredibly fat.

As per everyone's problems I'm bummed. My fork has been serviced once in two years. I have ridden it all over Utah in the dirt and grime and dust and cactus. I have ridden all over Oregon and the decomposed granite and mud and gank to no end. Hell, I drove from Oregon to Colorado and all over Utah with the bike on top of my car in the rain and the dust storms. The seals have held. The cartridge has never done me wrong even when bombing all over Slickrock for 3 days and countless other abuses. I have NEVER felt a cartridge in any fork that felt so bad ass as this one. Basically it's been perfect, I have scarcely serviced it, and I have ridden it for thousands of miles. I must be the luckiest mo-fo out there. Bottom line is I love this fork. Now I'm freaked, I hope I haven't mojo'd myself in any bad way.

Man, I gotta give it 5 flamin' chilis 'cuz it rules like no other fork I've known.

Favorite Trail:   The one with the dirt and rocks

Purchased At:   Special deal

Similar Products Used:   I think I have ridden practically every fork out there. I guess I hang out in too many bike shops.

Bike Setup:   On a Schwinn Sweet spot dialed out to the max. I love it.

Submitted by LQQK a Weekend Warrior from Sydney

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2000

Strengths:    Get better with age.
No flex.
Easy to look after.

Weaknesses:    cost.

Bottom Line:
Very nice fork that needs to be riden a few times to break in. After the break in period they will feel better than Marzocchi's! ( a big call I know).

Favorite Trail:   Rock Garden

Risse rear shock.
Maguras and Bullseye.

Submitted by Helge Gaster a Cross Country Rider from Berlin, Germany

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2000

Strengths:    Great looks!
Performance , no bobbing, good stiffness

Weaknesses:    it doesn´t work with discbrakes without backyard engineering: my dealer had to file it down at the bottom to get enough clearance for the screws that hold the disc!
Also you have to buy an expensive adaptor.

Bottom Line:
Great workin fork , but White Bros should have cared better about disc brake compability. I hope it will last, ´cause I read many reviews where people said it doesn´t.

Favorite Trail:   Havelhöhenweg

Bike Setup:   Intense tracer with Fox Vanilla R, Chris King hubs, Hayes brakes, Caramba cranks, Kooka stem, Easton riser etc.

Submitted by Al a Cross Country Rider from Glastonbury, CT

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2000

Strengths:    Travel to weight ratio, stiffness, looks

Weaknesses:    Excessive maintenance, poor seals, lack of boots

Bottom Line:
Most problems can be traced to the california syndrome: poor weather sealing. Muddy conditions (most of the time here) require cleaning and greasing every couple of rides. Oversize stanchions prevent use of boots from other brands. Seals occasionally pop out of lower legs during rides, making matters even worse. Bushing and stanchion wear result. Measured travel is always a bit less than 90mm advertised. Shaving a bit of material off the outer diameter of the plastic spring seats made travel much smoother; seemed like they were almost a press fit originally.

On the plus side, these are really stiff forks laterally, steering precision compares to Cannondale headshock. Good match to Ellsworth rear travel. No cartridge problems as reported by other reviewers. But sealing problems outweigh pluses to me; would recommend only if you live in a dry climate.

Similar Products Used:   Bomber Z-2, Judy, Mag 21

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Truth with Cane creek rear shock

Submitted by chris a Cross Country Rider from san luis obispo

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2000

Strengths:    works well

Weaknesses:    its broken twice,once at the fork brace,and the cartridge has blown.white bros service sucks!

Bottom Line:
this fork works very well on my bike,but the quality and the companies service are pathetic. 4 turds for performance 0 turds for quality. its been broken this time for over a week and they still havent even returned the shops calls.

Favorite Trail:   cerro alto,my own

Similar Products Used:   judys

Bike Setup:   lts

Submitted by Fritz L. a Cross-Country Rider from Carrboro, NC

Date Reviewed: December 29, 1999

Strengths:
Very stiff oversized legs, fairly smooth, comes with heavy and medium springs, Beefy Looks, Weight for size and stiffness(3.9 lbs), Easy to take apart which is good b/c forks high maintenance

Weaknesses:
1 blown cartridge, teflon coated bushing in leg wears easily, very high maintenace, high price even at $339 especially for low quality of fork, no fork boot, if not careful the seals pop off leg and fork sucks dirt immediately halting ride b/c of potential damage.

Bottom Line:
Follow Up Review:The fork is almost useless now after 1000 miles. The teflon coating on the bushing has worn off and has damaged the upper leg even after continuously greasing and maintaining fork and keeping Lizard Skin boots on bike. The nickel coating on the upper leg is damaged as well. I have only had the fork since Feb '99 and I am dissappointed. I called and got no reply and after continuous calling I have found I will have to pay for the repairs. In hindsight, I think they should give the forks away and you pay for maintenance, no warranty, they could make more money.I will never buy these forks again, bad qualities stand out more than good qualities

Chapel Hill High School

1 Year

Marzocchi Superfly, Z1 Alloy and Z2 Atom Bomb, Rock Shox Judy XC

Ellsorth Truth, XTR, Race Face, Chris King, Cane Creek Shock

Submitted by Jon P. a Downhiller from Traverse City

Date Reviewed: December 28, 1999

Strengths:
What strengths!!! This thing is peice, they totally screwed up on this one.

Weaknesses:
3 blowen cartrages
3 pairs of bent stanctions. Need I say more.

Bottom Line:
I signed on with there support program last spring and got this fork for DS racing and I have had nothing but problem after problem. The first time I bent the tubes was the week I baught the fork and I called them up (about a 100 times before I got a real person on the phone) and sent it in to be warrentied. I then get a call from them saying you used this fork for jumping and you landed incorrectly. How stupid is that. What the hell do they think slalom racing is, jumping. And don't have time to worry about bending forks on landings in the heat of a race.

Michigan State Hospital

1 Year

NONE

Santacruz Chamilian

Submitted by A.S. a Racer from NY

Date Reviewed: December 13, 1999

Strengths:
This is the Bottom Line-

Weaknesses:
Read below...!

Bottom Line:
ED- blew cartridge after one month
Fritz-Lehr- blew one cartridge
Damien- cartridge sucks
AS- cartridge sucks
Racer- cartridge sucks
Dan- damn thing started leaking oil
Mike- after less than 3 hours...the cartridge started leakingTHIS FORK SUCKS! WHITE BROS. SUCKS! THE FACT I BLEW $500 ON THIS FORK SUCKS! WASTING MY TIME AND EXPRESSING MY ANGER THIS WAY SUCKS!
DON'T BUY THIS PIECE OF SH:T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 months

White Brothers SC90 fork - misaligned bushing

One of the things which needed servicing on my bike was the front shock. So I downloaded a manual, disassembled the shock, cleaned it out the best I could, applied a small amount of grease to keep things smooth while I wait for some more grease, put everything back together, and slid the legs onto t ... Read More »