unknown Psylo XC 2001 Front Shock

• Steel Steerer

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Leo Lucido a Downhiller from la,la,la California

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2007

Strengths:    U-turn adjustment works great ascending and descending.

Weaknesses:    The left Cam-lever on the axle retainer broke on me while I was bunny hopped 2 inches off the ground for my friends on the street! What if I was going down the trail really fast? That would have been a nice law suit for Rock Shox. Not to mention the cost of the cam lever kit because they won't just sell the lever itself was $50.00 for a fork that was obsolete.

Bottom Line:
    Why would you purchase a fork that's supposedly quasi freestyle/XC? It's also weird to see a 20mm thru axle fork that has a XC sticker slapped on it. I think this fork is confused about it's personality. Not to mention the bikes that come with it advertise their bikes as beginner freeride but with a chintzy fork like this. Overall features are cool but I was really dissapointed when the lever broke on me and I had to scourge several LBS just to find out they had to special order the whole lever kit because they don't just sell the lever itself. I hope Rock Shox reads my review and get back to me.

Regardless, although I would be skeptical it still would not stop me to purchase Rock Shox forks in the future, jsut not the Psylo or any fork they advertise as freeride/trail and then slap an XC sticker on it.

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi Drop-Off, Marzocchi Dirt-Jumper. Forget the external adjustments, at least these guys lasted on me.

Bike Setup:   Ironhorse SGS sport with a few mod upgrades here and there.

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Vermont

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2006

Strengths:    Easy to work on.

Weaknesses:    Not reliable. Flexy Stantions

Bottom Line:
    These shocks are a bit of a pain! You can work and work on them and they still won't work! I have replace the damping unit numerous times, 3 time via warrenty, now RS won't cover it, they say I should be using a newer, "Beefier" model. People say they are stripping the rebound knob, it's because the unit won't adjust any more! It's bits of dampener jamming the system. The thing implodes on it's self. The bushings are okay still, but the stantions flex back like crazy when you put on the front brake. If you want a good XC fork, this is for you, If you do any fast all Mountain ridin', get something else.

Similar Products Used:   Old school Judy, RS Stuff

Bike Setup:   '01 Enduro 20mm Psylo

Submitted by Al a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2006

Strengths:    adjustable travel

Weaknesses:    blew the bushings in 30 seconds as soon as iy hit a set of 2" bumps

Bottom Line:
    I got this fork new, rode it on the bike path for 1 hour, no problem except that it was boby. 30 seconds into my first xc ride, as soon as it went over a set of 2" bumps the seals busted (or something like that, the lowers went all loose). I brought it back to my shop and it's been sent to Rock Shox for warranty. That was over a month ago. Tried finding out what was going on and nobody could answer me and there is no way to contact RS's warranty dept (in Canada the # on my warranty and online is always busy/ does not work) and Cycles Lamberts (distributor) never answered my email so I'm in the dark. Last week went back to my LBS and they finally got some news, RS sent the fork to the wrong store and wanted to charge me for the bushing replacement, so who knows when I'll be riding again and how much this will cost. This is very annoying and expensive, if I would have known I'd of had it fixed in town. Just get yourself a nice Marzocchi or Manitou, much better forks, better built and there service is amazing, Rock Shox feel like a 400$ slap in the face.

Similar Products Used:   Marz z3, dj3, Rock Shox judy c, boxxer, Manitou 6

Bike Setup:   gary fisher marlin, custom xc build

Submitted by sean a Downhiller from port moody, canada

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2004

Strengths:    i've been doing some pretty harsh freeriding on this fork and haven't really had a problem. I'm about 5 foot and have done some drops about 8 footers or soo. It's pretty strong for an xc fork.

Weaknesses:    not really any at the moment

Bottom Line:
    strong for not heavy freeriders, and it's smooth

I give it 5 flamming chilies for value
    and 4 flamming chilies for overall

Favorite Trail:   Nicole's

Purchased At:   sports junkies

Bike Setup:   03 devinci hucker frame, 8" hayes hydro brakes, truvative husselfelt cranks and bb and other good stuff

Submitted by Phil from Southern Illinios

Date Reviewed: February 29, 2004

Strengths:    plush, tooless front wheel removal, through axle

Weaknesses:    Bottoms too easily. This fork is incredibly flexy--especially for one with a 20mm through axle. The three inch setting was less flexy. Blown seals after 3 months. Otherwise, no mechanical problems.
    Compared to the rear Rock Shox Pro Deluxe, though, this one's a beauty.

Bottom Line:
    Not a bad fork, as long as you use it for trail riding and not for much else.

Favorite Trail:   Kinkaid Lake

Purchased At:   Stock on Giant AC2

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi on a Specialized Big Hit Comp-much better fork--and it had been used for 2 years. It wasn't my bike so I'm not sure what model it was.

Bike Setup:   Stock Giant AC2, as stated before.

Submitted by Pete Stokes a Weekend Warrior from Adelaide, South Australia

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2004

Strengths:    Good amount of travel for someone just getting into freeriding. Lightweight is good if you do a lot of riding back up the hill.

Weaknesses:    Crowns are loose and creak whenever I pull on the front brakes. Adimttedly, I have ridden the forks pretty hard, but they should be able to stand up to more abuse than I give them (I'm only 60kg, and I don't go all that big). Also, the ability too adjust travel seemed like a nice idea when I bought them, but I just set it to 125mm and left it. I certainly wasn't going to bother changing the travel for every hill I climbed (mind you, these forks are pre-U'turn)

Bottom Line:
    Okay for a long travel XC bike, but don't do any big moves on this fork. Too flimsy

Favorite Trail:   Pickles, Anstey Hill, Chambers Gully, Bennets

Purchased At:   Bicycle Express, Halifax St

Similar Products Used:   None, but soon to purchase Marzocchi Z150

Bike Setup:   '02 Craftworks FRM 125 (sexy blue), RS Psylo XC, Armor hydro discs, Race Face DH crank and double ring with bash guard, DMR V12 pedals (sexy blue), Dice EFD rims, Aireal switch system front hub (sexy blue)

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2003

Strengths:    Laterally rigid/ strong

Weaknesses:    Sticky action on small bumps, rocks and roots, rebound adjuster is chintzy

Bottom Line:
    I've ridden this fork pretty hard since I bought the bike in June of '01. Overall a pretty good, strong fork. Not sure about the reviewers complaining about the flex. I don't have an issue with flex, but mine is one of the models with the 20mm thru axle. The only time I got any bothersome flex was in a ramp stunt park which is to be expected. Works fine for XC and moderate freeriding. Too bad the rebound adjuster stripped out after only a few months. Plan to upgrade the fork with the U-turn features from the 03 model.

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Bike Setup:   Giant AC2, LX/XT, easton SA70, Serfas ti saddle

Submitted by Eric a Downhiller from Kelowna, B.C., Canada

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2003

Strengths:    Great for climbing(not like i enjoy it like those XC nerds), vary adjustable, very smooth and buttery, great for racing. This fork is really strong.

Weaknesses:    none.

Bottom Line:
    I really like this fork for freeride and downhill, this fork is really strong, I ran in to a bench after coming of of a drop and not even a sratch. The fork legs are vary strong, vary strong steer tube. The best fork I have ever had on my bike.

Favorite Trail:   A-Line

Purchased At:   Cycle Path

Similar Products Used:   My friends Boxxer.

Bike Setup:   2003 Warp DS-3 with 2002 Warp DS-1 components, 2001 Psylo, Deore drive train.

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from New Mexico

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
    I've blown it out twice now. Both times on a 2ft drop. I've lost a lot of bike time due to Rock Shox slow turn around time. And to top it off, they respond as if it was my fault. Save your money and buy a Fox or Mars.

Submitted by Kingtyee a Weekend Warrior from Bellingham

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2003

Strengths:    Plush, well designed internals, good disc mount placement for 4 pot brakes, adjustable travel

Weaknesses:    FLEXY, short bushings, poor damping adjustment, only 1 coil spring

Bottom Line:
    I had the 2001 XC with the 5mm bushings, this thing steered like a wet noodle and did not inspire confidence. To the fork's credit, it handled pretty much anything I rode until I blew the damping on a poor landing off a 5 footer and had to rebuild (that one's on me). The steering was my biggest complaint, I now ride a Z5 and am very impressed with it's performance compared to Manitou and Rockshox.

Similar Products Used:   Manitou X-vert, Marzocchi Z5 coil

Bike Setup:   hardtail w/ discs

Submitted by Nick from Santa Cruz, CA

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
    okay, this is not a review, but a follow up. Last april, I decided that the psyloes weren't going to cut it, and bit the bullet and got myself a 2002 Z1 FR. Wow, so this is what I have missed. The Z1 is so sick! It is super plush in the first four inches. It's definitely unlike the Psyloes I had that only moved in the first three inches, then blew through its travel on the slightest drop. There is no stiction, and it's still as smooth as the day i got it. I had some help from some great guys here in SC, that's why I can afford it. Other wise, check out Z1 Drop Offs and Z1 wedge before you buy a psylo xc.The Hydracoil in the psyloes felt nothing like the Hydracoil in my old boxxer. So don't get fooled by Rock Shox ads. Try Fox and Marzocchis before you shell out your hard earned cash for a Psylo.

Favorite Trail:   the santa cruz mountain

Submitted by ernesto freyre from miami, florida

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2003

Strengths:    Works great on tough terrian with 80 to 125 mm.

Weaknesses:    UMMM I cant think of one.

Bottom Line:
    I will not want to trade my fork it is the best I ever had in my life. HUGE difference in Judy TT. I love using the fork on 125mm when I am dropping from 3 feel below the ground it give great rebound without difficulting. It is always smooth, and has a personlity.

Favorite Trail:   oleta park

Purchased At:   price point

Similar Products Used:   Judy TT

Bike Setup:   All XT Shimano, Monkey bar, Thompson stem and seat post. Hutchington tires, S works frame, Chris King Headset.

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Bozeman, MT, U.S.

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2002

Strengths:    It holds up extremely well under my weight of 255 lbs. Haven't had any problems with it thus far, unlike the Judy XC that was the Psylo's predecessor on my Stumpjumper.

Weaknesses:    Haven't had any yet.

Bottom Line:
    sturdy cross-country fork that doesn't cost an arm and a leg

Favorite Trail:   not Moonlight Meadows in the La Sals

Purchased At:   Spoke Shop

Similar Products Used:   Judy XC

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper M2 Comp

Submitted by MAtt from BSB, Brunei Darussalam

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2002

Strengths:    Reasonably priced, never bottomed out, smooth travel

Weaknesses:    Seriuoosly flexy when braking (v-Brake) and turning into
    a corner (noise from brake pad engaging the rim). Very bad bushing problems. Not reliable
    in the long run.

Bottom Line:
    Bottom line:The 15 mm upper bushing is a design flaw thanks to Rock Shox inadequate R&D and testing. It cost a fortune and valuable riding time to send it to Singapore for servicing/ bushign replacement. Rock Shox told me that the 02 upper bushing (30mm) cannot be retrofitted into the 01 model but I have heard people saying otherwise. Can somebody clarifies? Replacing the bushing yourself is out of the question since the cost of the installation and removal kit are very expensive. You are better off buying a new pair of lower with new bushign installed or buying another fork (but not Rock Shox). I am definitely ditching my Psylo for Fox Fork.

Bearing in mind that Rock Shox service centres are scarcely in South East Asia I just feel that we need to be fully suported more.

Favorite Trail:   Bt Shahbandar

Purchased At:   ebsters Cycle, Leceister UK

Bike Setup:   FSR Extreme ............

Submitted by Aggresive Trail rider from Southern New Jersey

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2002

Strengths:    Laterally stiffer than my Z1, Ramps up nicely at the end of the stroke, never bottomed, smooth stroke with no stiction, simple to change oil.

Weaknesses:    Leaks oil from left side and creaks at the crown when appling disk brakes

Bottom Line:
    This fork is my favorite...Until it started leaking oil and creaking. I still use it and like the ability I have to adjust the travel internally. I weigh 200lbs and am 5'11". I ride fast single track(about race speed) I hope RS has ironed out the leaking and creaking prob. cause I am about to buy a 2003 model.

Favorite Trail:   Fairhills DE