Sr. Mg-90 Front Shock

3.87/5 (38 Reviews)

Mg-90

Submitted by Jorge from Lisbon, now in Israel

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2006

Strengths:    Purchased back in 1996 and so far so good. Simple but reliable fork

Weaknesses:    For the price range, none

Bottom Line:
I start my observations by saying that I used to go to work on my bicycle on a return trip of 50 km in Lisbon, at least 3 times a week. Now I ride every day on dirt trais, about 200 km a week. Since I am a very light fellow (54 kg) the fork have been very reliable during all this time. The fork's "softness" that other people complain I am not able to feel it. From 1996 when I bought this fork I didn't have the need to make any sort of maintnence. I compared the perfomance of my fork with a new 2004 SR Sountour MG 90 and it was still working like the new one. I have to confess that I do not use the bike in extreme conditions but the fork suits well for urban long distance riding and for dirt trails.

Favorite Trail:   Galilee hills, urban environments

Purchased At:   Portugal

Similar Products Used:   All sort, Manitou, Rock Shox, Marzzocchi

Bike Setup:   10 year old Conor with some updates, Shimano Alivio, Alex wheels, Avid SD 7 brakes

Submitted by Colby from New Hampshire

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2004

Strengths:    it's simple and good for light trail rides.works well,i have had mine for 2 years and still fine.

Weaknesses:    only 3 inches of travel,nothing else

Bottom Line:
great shock for light riding and will hold up if you dont completey trash it.anything else and consider a upgrade.buy it if your just gonna do some trail riding.

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   judy tt,wal mart crap(dont buy)

Bike Setup:   raliegh m50 with a bunch of mods and upgrades

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Cyprus

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2004

Strengths:    Top-Entry Level fork
light
Cheap
Looks good

Weaknesses:    none for the money

Bottom Line:
Got these forks twice for cheap replacement on hardtails of my sons. Well worth the money. Better than any cheapo RST and better than the Zokes. Ultraplush. This is not a High-End fork, but its a light masterpiece for the price. If you expect a Marzocchi, forget it, but if you expect triple the money worth, then go for it. Not for downhill, but I would recommend it for any tour de force. Heard, that they make'em now with lock-out? Good idea, if still cheap.

Favorite Trail:   XC and some downhill in cyprus hills

Similar Products Used:   RST 381EL (broke), cheap Suntours which came with bikes and
had no travel and were to heavy, Manitou 4 (still great with wings mods,) Zokes Pro, Manitou Mars Elite, Marzocchi XC500 (was better than Manitou 4), Marzocchi
MX-Comp ETA (great, greater, the greatest for money!)
Manitou Mars Comp Coil (no good for the money)

Bike Setup:   Several: One is the famous Mudmonster ( Mud-Monster )by Smokestone, UK, which was in the late 90's the ultimate fullsuspension bike with XT and XTR components (was ultra expensive these days with Manitou 4 fork), next GT Timberline with XC500, then Marin Bear Valley (got rid of
RST, changed for useless Mars CL and then for the great MX-Comp ETA) plus a German Rotwild custom made for me.

Submitted by Terry GUSTERSON a Weekend Warrior from Fukuoka, Japan

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2004

Strengths:    Light, easy to service and install,

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
I have had these on my anchor for more than 3 years now and not one problem. Overhauled them around Christmas time(just to have a look). Everything was still in perfect working order. Dismantled, cleaned, re greased-refitted and they haven't missed a beat. So easy and very impressed. On the trails, these things have gone everywhere. I run them as soft as I can on the rough downhill stuff and they have great control and feeling and not to mention that they are light too. Mine are the MG90 (magnesium) and have performed excellent(to date). I won't be changing them over just yet. Having said that, wouldn't mind a pair of 8in travel RockShox as my next pair.(Just a bit more travel for those bigger drop offs that i never see until the last minute. Happy Riding.

Purchased At:   Came with the Bike when I bought it.

Bike Setup:   Anchor-Downhill, Shimano XT discs and Hubs, XT 9 speed cassette and derailers.

Submitted by Witold Wilk a Cross Country Rider from Tychy, Poland

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2004

Strengths:    - cheap
- works ok
- easy to maintain (5mm allen is all You need to open it, and clean the insides)
- can be modified easily (I have opened it, and took out the plastic caps, that are to limit the travel. then I crammed up the legs some solid-state lube (bought a whole kilogram bucket for 3$ worth...). I crammed like 300grams of that lub into the lower legs, and then I've put it back together. first 50km were with limited travel, but right now the fork does about 90mm travel (done 80mm normally), and the end of the travel is slowed, and not "full-stopped", as opposed to the limit :^) ).

Weaknesses:    - soft (even with preload dialed to the max, my 80kg is too much for this fork)
- the pivots are bending when applying pressure to the rim. will have to buy a booster.

Bottom Line:
cheap fork, dont expect anything special from it. it works correctly, and thats about that. I wouldn't buy it again. would buy a normal, no-suspension fork, and saved some money on a better fork, like marzocchi bomber, or manitou/rock shox...

Similar Products Used:   suntour nex60 (complete low-end), and a quick look-and-feel at manitou xverts and marzocchi bombers (worked like charms)

Bike Setup:   giant boulder '02, many parts aren't original, I am switching only broken ones.

Submitted by manny a Weekend Warrior from south florida

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2003

Strengths:    so far so good seems like a good fork and is much less than others i weigh about 210 and it works fine for me i am not a freerider or dh but can ride technical and some jumps and it works

Weaknesses:    pain to adjust preload not nice to look at

Bottom Line:
i have to agree with everyone else good for the money im on a limited budget and would recommend it to any one on the same

Favorite Trail:   markham, oleta

Purchased At:   got on a free gt agressor from dad

Similar Products Used:   manitou

Bike Setup:   19 in javelin w/easton alum tubing ritchey cranks combination xt, xtr and other shimano drive train specialized 1.90s kore riser bar suspension seat post so my axx dont hurt

Submitted by SImon Famulski a Weekend Warrior from £ódz, Poland

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2003

Strengths:    flexibility
smoothness
excellent price
strong
light
nice clearance
good looks

Weaknesses:    a bit loosy (no problem for me, I've seen 5 times more expensive Judys with more loose)

Bottom Line:
I don't want any other fork. Recently I tested RST gamma and other Sr 8020 forks - just crap. Mine is almost 4 years old and still alive
It was soft and a bit too smooth when I bought it but I replaced springs (put motorcycle springs in) and now performance is great. Amazing. The fork is touchy and responds intelligently. It is very realiable and easy in maintenance

P.S Mind the price when reading my values

Favorite Trail:   XC, amatour

Purchased At:   second hand

Similar Products Used:   rst 381 SERIES - BUT MUCH WORSE PERFORMANCE AND MUCH HEAVIER

Bike Setup:   Alivio - STX - Deore LX

Submitted by giancarlo a Weekend Warrior from Milan ,Italy

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2002

Strengths:    light & stiff - very precise fork

Bottom Line:
I am referring to URL model , with magnesium legs .
Excellent fork , very light & precise. It does not work immediately with little bumps but - my God - it works tremendously with huge bumps .
It is fascinating with the matt-black colour !
I suggest this fork to whom is willing to a have a very good product , to save money and does not care less of fashion models !

Purchased At:   Longoni Sport

Similar Products Used:   marzocchi xcr

Bike Setup:   DBR Zetec team-XT-Avids

Submitted by Luke Taylor a Downhiller from London, UK

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2002

Strengths:    Magnesium (V.Light), X-Ternal preload adjusters, Disc compatible, 3" of travel

Weaknesses:    Seals On Disc Leg, Preload adjusters hit frame if handlebars spin round, no rebound controls

Bottom Line:
These forks, are pretty much perfect for most riders who need a set of forks for downhill runs, freestyle, and XC. i've used these forks for all three and i have very little trouble with them, preload works very well making a noticable difference, if these forks travelled further and had rebound controls, Marzocchi would have to watch there back. SRSuntour might not have a good name, but they really do make good shocks, my only problem is that the seal to the fork leg keeps coming up out of the leg (disc side only), i can't work out if this is a fault with my shocks, or general fault, i suspect that it is to do with the disc brake, but i can't tell for sure, neither the less they are a brilliant product.

Favorite Trail:   Local Forest

Purchased At:   Discount Cycles

Similar Products Used:   RST 381, Manitou Six Comp Mag, Chilli 550, Marzocchi Z.1 Wedge

Bike Setup:   Raleigh Barina, SRSuntour M-9050 Mag, Mech Disc F&R, Airline 1 Wheelset

Submitted by Matt Leonard a Cross Country Rider from Belfast , N.ireland

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2002

Strengths:    CAME WITH BIKE- THIS IS ONE CLASS FORK-I KNOW SOMEONE WHO HAS HAD THE EXACT SAME FORK AS LONG AS I HAVE AND THERE IS NOTHING THATS WENT WRONG WITH IT. THE AJUDABLE SETTINGS ARE QUITE EFFECTIVE TOO . THE TRAVEL IS DECENT FOR A FORK OF THIS PRICE , AND IT LOOKS GREAT IN ORANGE. ITS LASTED 2 YEARS OF ROUGH RIDING AND ITS ONE OF THE MOST SOLID COMPENTENTS ON MY BIKE THAT HASNT YET GIVEN UP EVEN OVER 2 YEARS NOW-AND ITS STILL READY TO TAKE ON MORE !YOU SHOULD NOT BE DISAPPOINTED WITH THIS FORK.DISC COMPATIBLE TOO.GR8 JOB

Weaknesses:    NOTHING AT ALL-THIS FORK HAS LASTED OVER 2 YEARS NOW AND NOT ONE COMPLAINT YET

Bottom Line:
THIS SHOCK IS FANTASIC VALUE , AND IF UR LUCKY TO GET IT ON UR BIKE WHEN YOU BUY , YOU WILL BE SUPRISED HOW COMFY AND DURABLE IT IS.GREAT PRODUCT.IM VERY PLEASED-IT TAKES A GREAT POUNDING AND TRAVEL IS GOOD AND THE SETTINGS ARE GOOD.

Purchased At:   halfords , belfast

Similar Products Used:   NSYNC CRAPPY FORK ON FRIENDS BIKE

Bike Setup:   FRONT SR SUNTOUR MG-90 SHOCKS , GRIMECA SYSTEM 1 HYDRO DISC ON DIATECH DISC HUB WITH WEINMAN AZC 19 RIM.

Submitted by Mat a Weekend Warrior from DePere WI USA

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2002

Strengths:    It's a shock that works no matter what. With all that junk I had on my bike, this is the one thing I feel least inclined to replace.

Weaknesses:    NONE - for a Magnesium fork this is as good as it gets.

Bottom Line:
You won't have a problem with this shock if your looking in the air/magnesium market. I really pound on my components and my Suntour hasn't let me down. I really can't believe it, I though I would have to replace it by now.

Favorite Trail:   Bairds Creek

Purchased At:   JB Cycle (stock with GT XCR)

Bike Setup:   Revamped with SRAM/WTB/AVID components.

Submitted by Dale a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2002

Strengths:    This review is actually for the XCR 80mm travel fork
pretty stiff
really plush
good adjustabilty in the preload
easy to turn adjuster knob (unlike judy' TT's knob to small

Weaknesses:    Black paint scratches easily (could be just be form the abuse)
Boots fall down after hard riding
only fit 2.2 tyres
NON adjustable dampening

Bottom Line:
Great for for the XC use i do and riding to school 100km a week on bike paths then bush bashing on weekends
regualar oiling around the seal keeps them going like new
I think that they "feel" better than my mates judy TT's and his TT's bottom out easier than mine aswell and mine are just as soft

Purchased At:   Bike Workshop with frre bike

Similar Products Used:   TT's
Crap Jett's with 63mm travel

Bike Setup:   Giant Rincon near stock
Araya 840 front rim (under warrenty thanks giant)
Jagwire brake blocks ( wicked brake power now)
Specialised ties

Submitted by Crazy Mike a Cross Country Rider from the Netherlands

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2002

Strengths:    Cheap, stiff, looks like more expensive forks, works reasonably well. Good value for money. Disk brake mount. Easy to service.

Weaknesses:    Underdamped - It only really performs the way I like when it's 5 degrees celcius or less. Heavy, with steel upper legs. A little play has developed on the bushings, too soft in it's original setup.

Bottom Line:
Not a bad fork for a beginner. Does the job provided you don't ask too much of it.

Similar Products Used:   Manitou 4, Manitou EFC, AMP F4-BLT, RST 460, RST Aerosa AET, Rond O24U.

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC, but replaced the shock and moved it to my hardtail only to discover the fork completely screwed up its geometry because it is too long for that old HT. Now the fork is workless.

Submitted by JD a Cross Country Rider from australia

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2002

Strengths:    very light,excellent performance

Weaknesses:    the name

Bottom Line:
This is for the XC PRO (sometimes called (ULR's)but I couldnt find where to write it.I,ve used a lot of these forks and they are brilliant.100 mm,air spring,elastomer.smooth,strong and light.I buy direct but cant find them on the market anywhere,but i think they are in the same price range as judy c's.The c's just dont compare.The suntours perform better than many of the big name brands and are by far the best value for money out there-Try em ,you'll like em

Favorite Trail:   taiwan