RST XMO Front Shock

4.4/5 (63 Reviews)

RST XMO

Submitted by theodore a Cross Country Rider from melb, australia

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2003

Strengths:    leg pitch is massive, responsive, smooth, rebound

Weaknesses:    bit on the heavy side for an air fork, no compression/preload

Bottom Line:
review for a mozo xmo 4.2a -
i just got this fork 2nd hand and i think it's about 2 years old but still in pristine condition (besides scratching). it feels really smooth so far and has taken some big hits (i don't know how far it'll go for an air fork). my only gripes are its weight, as the crown is one solid block, and so is the brake arch, and the lower legs are massive in comparison to the stanchions. funny the user manual only tells you to pump the left leg, while there is also a valve on the right leg (?!). i guess for its time it was good though, and feels perfectly fine beside today's forks. beats the cr@p out of the manitou sx's it replaced. :P

Purchased At:   AU$250 (about US $150)

Similar Products Used:   judy race '00, psylo xc '02, other cheap RST cr@p, manitou '98 SX ti

Bike Setup:   marin rift zone '98

Submitted by Joe H a Cross Country Rider from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2002

Strengths:    Light weight, pretty good stiffness, low maintenance.

Bottom Line:
After 2 and a half years of use, I thought I'd update my review. So far I love this fork. The "lawyer tabs" on the drop-outs were filed off long ago and with disk brakes, nothing is quicker in terms of getting that front wheel off and on. One of the legs has a slight air leak - but not fast enough to replace it yet. Maintenance has been nothing but a good cleaning once in a while and a little lube (WD-40, slider greese, whatever) under the dust boots. This was and is a great product for the price.

Bike Setup:   combined with a rear Fox Float RC air shock on a Rocky Mountain Instinct

Submitted by smokey strodtman a Cross Country Rider from gilliam, MO USA

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2002

Strengths:    light weight, adjustability, durability, appearance, steers and tracks well with no slop.

Weaknesses:    none, if you can live without a "name brand" fork.

Bottom Line:
today i disassembled this fork for service after 2 years of use. other than cleaning out a little dirty grease, there was virtually no wear on the bushings, seals, or other internals. i re-assembled it with some slick honey, aired it up, and went riding. one of the MTB magazines stated in a suspension article last year that the "big name" forks were the only ones worth considering. then i read in here about sloppy rockshox bushings, fox seal leaks, and other problems (of course, they say hardtails are dead, too. funny how every time i see roland green and alison dunlap winning, they're on one of those "dead" MTBs). makes me glad i don't believe everything i read in those comic books. the RST has been a darn good fork for me; i have no complaints and would gladly buy one again.

Favorite Trail:   lots of 'em

Purchased At:   internet

Similar Products Used:   stock RST 281.

Bike Setup:   fisher hardtail, hutchison pythons, XT/bontrager mustang wheels, SRAM 9.0 shifters, 7.0 brake levers, and rear derailleur, LX shimano front, time HP aliums, thudbuster with Koobi saddle.

Submitted by Jeff Wu a Racer from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2002

Strengths:    light
adjustable for wide range of weights
low maintenance
relatively cheap
Eko has GREAT customer service

Weaknesses:    leaked air out of the box, but Eko took care of it free of charge
few damping adjustments

Bottom Line:
I got the Mozo XMO O2. Awsome XC race fork! Even though there was a leak out of the box, Eko took care of it immediately and didn't charge me anything, not even shipping! I got the fork at pro deal pricing through Mozo, so it was a great deal.

Although this fork doesn't have any lockout nor is it as light as RS SID's, you can bet it will have less problems and last longer than RS forks. Futhermore, it is backed by outstanding customer service.

Purchased At:   Mozo

Similar Products Used:   '95 Marzocchi XCR, '00 SID, In-Sync Echo 735

Bike Setup:   Dirt Works Cannibal, SRAM, Truvativ Stylo, Panaracer Trailblasters

Submitted by Slow Ryda a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2002

Strengths:    Reasonably durable. Only a slight leak in one of the cartridges after two years. Nice pump comes with it. Reasonably stiff. Not Rock Shox.

Weaknesses:    Weight greater than advertised (3.32 lbs uncut on a lab balance). Oil bath doesn't do squat. Can't set up with sag. No negative spring, regardless of what Eko says. Doesn't respond at all to chatter.

Bottom Line:
The fork is ok. It would be fine for racing, as it doesn't bob too much. The adjustments work, particularly the rebound. I use the slow rebound adjusters, 6-7 turns out. I usually use ~150 psi in each leg (I weigh ~180). The big problem is the lack of a negative spring. The fork doesn't sag at all for me, and I have a long low stem, and generally weight the front end of my bike quite a bit, as it's a hard tail. Subsequently, the fork is completely stiff over fast chatter bumps, which gets old. I once lowered the pressure to ~140 lbs, and the fork was floppier than a wherehouse mattress. I bought the open oil bath kit, but save your money. For 10 bucks or so, you get a cheap plastic syringe, and some new bolts for the lowers that supposedly seal better. And directions telling you to add 10-15 mL oil to each leg. The new bolts aren't worth it. The don't seal any better than the old ones. Don't add too much oil, cuz the fork will lock up.
Bottom line: Ok fork, reliable, reasonably stiff, but it ain't the best out there by a long shot. And not as light as they say.

Favorite Trail:   bobsled/roller coaster

Purchased At:   universal cycle (I think)

Similar Products Used:   mars, z5

Bike Setup:   raleigh hardtail, xt-equipped, mavic, avid.....

Submitted by Ducky a Cross Country Rider from Utah

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2001

Strengths:    Stiff, light and plush for an air fork.

Weaknesses:    Air pressure needs to be just right. Internals are plastic.

Bottom Line:
I have liked this fork ever since I found the right setting.
(Slowest rebound screw 5 truns out). I am rebuilding it and adding the oil bath upgrade this week end. Be carfull of tightng the air valve to tight or the threads will strip.
I would still like to try a SID you can get them for the same price on sale, but from the reviews they are flexy which is why I chose the XMO and I dont regret it at all.

Similar Products Used:   Manitou FS, AMP

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar W/ Sram 9.0sl Bonti Mustang etc.

Submitted by mike the bike a Cross Country Rider from macon, ga, SE US

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2001

Strengths:    decent price, low maintenance, fairly durable, light

Weaknesses:    not quite as stiff as I expected (but still not flexy), a lot longer than the orig. Quadra, internal damping adjustment

Bottom Line:
I bought this fork when a compression cap on the Quadra blew off after landing a jump and hit me in the chest. Thanks, Rock Shox. I wanted a light fork for a good $, so I bought this. All I have to say is that I have not encountered any problems w/ this fork. The manual does not recommend using more than 200 psi in the cartridges. When I first got the fork, I weighed around 210, and I was accustomed to a rigid fork. I ran up to 240 psi (along with the fastest rebound setting) in each side with absolutely no problems. Honest to Allah, I would not lie to you. I abused this fork by jumping and landing with a lot of weight toward the front and never "blew-out" the cartridges. The fork does require a break-in period before the stiction decreases greatly. A little Slick Honey/Judy Butter improves performance a lot. As for air leakage, no problems there, never. I currently weigh 190 and have gotten used to a real suspension fork, so I run 180 psi with medium rebound. I set my fork up for bigger bumps and don't worry about roots. It is not the plushest fork out there, but I don't have to mess w/ damping oil, either. I haven't torn down the fork yet. I am sure once that is done, and everything cleaned and lubed, it will perform even better. If you are looking for a cheap, light-weight and low maintenance fork, I would give this one a try. It has performed well.

Favorite Trail:   any with jumps

Purchased At:   universalcycles

Similar Products Used:   orig. RS Quadra, Indy XC, Manitous, Sid 100

Bike Setup:   old-ass('95), steel Trek 930, Sun Mammoth rear wheel, multi-functional, all-purpose beast

Submitted by Brian a Racer from E. Lansing, Michigan

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2001

Strengths:    Light, stiffer than I thought possible, holds air well.

Weaknesses:    Boots and top caps look kind of cheap, can't complain about cheap looks for what I paid though.

Bottom Line:
Any time I went into a turn with my SID SL, my front wheel would rub my break pad. I thought it was my flexy wheels at first, but then I found this fork at such a great deal and decided to give it a try. It completely eliminated the rubbing! Also, I've only had to pump air into it once since I bought it 2 months ago.

It may look cheap and may not be what all the pros are riding but it's the best fork I have ridden. Go buy it if you're looking for a new fork!

Purchased At:   Direct from MOZO inc.

Similar Products Used:   Judy C
SID SL

Bike Setup:   99 Schwinn Moab, SRAM 9.0, Sun RPM Lite wheels, TIME pedals.......

Submitted by Zacky a Cross Country Rider from Champtown

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2001

Strengths:    Light and all that other happy crap.

Weaknesses:    They break. No Help from Mozo

Bottom Line:
This fork worked great for a while. I am a bigger rider (180) and it seemed pretty stiff for my weight. This thing worked well for while, it didn't leak too much and it was quite cheap. I have even suggested it to many of my friends and on this site in the past. Then it happened. I was doing a nose manuel down my driveway and the fork collapsed. The Stanchions ripped out of the crown and both of the cartriges snapped in half. No one at my LBS can get ahold of anyone at MOZO. Oh well I got a year of riding out of a $200 fork i just think that it should last longer. Even if I can get a new one or get it repaired I will never trust another product from MOZO. I am just embarresed that I ever suggested this thing.

Favorite Trail:   River Bottoms

Similar Products Used:   SIDS and other stuff

Bike Setup:   9.9 XTR, Raceface, Arch Supremes, Times, King wheels, TI DT Spokes. SID Race on the way! Thanks GOD.

Submitted by RACER X - SPEEDS OLDER BRO. carlisle a Cross Country Rider from grapevine texas

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2001

Strengths:    Light weight, no flex, takes abuse

Weaknesses:    air pressure has to be just right

Bottom Line:
The ONLY trouble I have ever had was when I unscrewed one of the air cartridges with out letting the pressure out, this losens the air cartridge body and causes it to leak air. NO BLOWN CARTRIDGE, it just hasnt happened - Fork is not flexy at all, and is light. Sorry You guys who work for maitou & rockshok. - I bought the mozo xmo after my MANITOU SXR dampner screw broke while I was cleaning it, they said
"TAKE IT TO THE DEALER", I HAVE NO TIME FOR POMPUS FOOLS,
I had to call mozo to find out how to assemble it, and was patched right through to someone who helped. the only other fork I would eve consider is the SID 100. GUYS STOP LYING ABOUT THE MOZO XMO, FOR THE PRICE , WHICH IS 250,00 //NOT 500.00 YOU CANT FIND A BETTER VALUE.

Favorite Trail:   rockledge

Purchased At:   not paid to advertise

Similar Products Used:   manitou sxr,

Bike Setup:   carbon fiber frame & swingarm - K2 -OZ , yes I know its killer - so stop drooling and get youself one

Submitted by Nate a Racer from Tiger,Wa

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2001

Strengths:    Weird company no one has heard of.

Weaknesses:    Lets see, It breaks, then braaks again, has 50mm of bad travel, and breaks again.

Bottom Line:
Got it for light weight, that was a lie on XMO's part. Loved it for a while then it started breaking down. Last week both air cartriges developed 80mm of negitive travel. In other words they blew up, went caput, blamo. I ride hard 200+ miles a week, but never have I seen such a junky product.

Purchased At:   universalcycles.com

Similar Products Used:   Z1 x-fly(best fork) most forks ever made

Bike Setup:   Titus Racer X

Submitted by smokey strodtman a Cross Country Rider from gilliam, MO USA

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2001

Strengths:    see my earlier review.

Bottom Line:
this is an update from my review last year. the fork continues to perform very well. i check the air pressure
once a week and usually have to add a few pounds. other than
that, i pull up the boots and shoot some superlube teflon spray on the tubes and that's about it for maintenance. the boots do a good job, i've never found much dirt or dust under them. i still think these were a bargain and i would
definitely recommend them to anyone who needs a good XC fork and is shopping on a budget.

Favorite Trail:   anything with dirt

Purchased At:   universalcycles(internet site)

Bike Setup:   fisher hardtail with several mods.

Submitted by ozzierider visocnik a Cross Country Rider from la ca usa

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2001

Strengths:    Cheaper then competition, that was at the time of purchase.
Supposedly tunability...

Weaknesses:    Loose bushings, air spring rate way too linear, weak design

Bottom Line:
I was fooled by the reviews...i guess it does not always work out. The fork was cheper then something similar, at the time. It was ok, just ok, for a couple of months, while my wife was riding it (120lbs) then I put it on my bike (I am 220lbs) and everithing went south.
First I blew the seals of the total air cartridge, got new ones under warranty, blew them again. Got "second" generation total air cartridges, still leaking...
The bushing developped a lot of play; RST change them but the fork has now excessive sticktion.
In other words: the fork sux, no matter what you do wiyh it.
Bottoms out too easily (even if you set it up with excessive pressure)is a pain to tune( which is fairly inefective) and has got too many problems.
Buy a Sid XC, SL or whatever; or a coil one to be on the safe side...

Favorite Trail:   gooseberry mesa