RST Mozo Pro 3.5 Front Shock

3.71/5 (24 Reviews)

Mozo Pro 3.5

Submitted by Griff

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2013

Strengths:    Tough, and durable fork that has been on my old GT since 1998 - and still do the job.
Boots help keep crap out and they have yet to let me down. They are stiff in the crowns and legs are solidly built. Up and down gnarly XC trails in Afan area (my locality) before any construction of dedicated routes -they served fine and still do. Cost less than some forks service kits ! They are on my mud plugger and just keep going.

Weaknesses:    Not DH specific with yards of travel.
I have a Rockshox Recon gold and these forks are not that far off in terms of performance. Rebound feels a little slower.
No mod cons like lockout.

Bottom Line:
Really good fork for the day. Most people with Rockshox variants I know this old have destroyed / ditched theirs years ago.

Great Fork - I would not hesitate recommending if you are on a budget.

Submitted by cymondo a Cross Country Rider from ENGLAND

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2012

Strengths:    Very low maintenance, I've never touched them, Why fix it if it aint broke. Good Looking, Hard Wearing,Relativly Cheap for quality

Weaknesses:    ummm

Bottom Line:
I've had these forks for nearly twenty yes TWENTY Years and they still ride sweet and true, best single track bike i've ever ridden, The ride is positive with greate feedback comming through the forks to the handle bars, an easy bike to ride. I also ride a Giant XTC3 and if i could get another pair of MOZO PROs I'd definatly fit them. ( I am 56yo)

Favorite Trail:   Cheviots

Purchased At:   Fast Eddies Cycles W

Similar Products Used:   rock shocks judy marazzoci bombers Both of wich are longtime been recycled

Bike Setup:   the oldest bike i have is an old Fast Eddies, Side Winder, Superlight. wich i purchased in about 92 to wich my forks are fitted with Avid Arch Rival Vs Rigida deep rim 36 spoke with raptor treads

Submitted by Sean a Cross Country Rider from Rainhill

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2004

Strengths:    Idiot proof
full 3.5" of travel after giving them time to bed in
very little flex
4 years old and still going strong (unlike original frame they were fitted to!)
Disc brake compatible

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest fork available then and that hasn't changed after all this time
er...that's it

Bottom Line:
I know few people will consider buying Mozos these days and given they've been out of production for a good while there won't be many knocking about but these forks cost me about £85.00 in a sale at Merlin 4 years ago and have been worth every penny.
They're much better than anything RST replaced them with (Gamma?)so if you see any second hand ones available, grab them!
If you use them as a XC fork as they're intended I don't think there is any fork that holds a candle to it, even at 3 times the (original,full)price!
They swallow big hits effortlessly, even with my 15 stone bulk sat above them and are still pretty much the same as when I took them out of the box.
I have heard it said that some Mozos that were fitted as standard equipment or sold as mail order jobbies were cheaper quality but these after market ones have never let me down.
I'll let you know how they're getting on in another 4 years.

Purchased At:   Merlin, Leyand (in a sale)

Similar Products Used:   RST 361, RockShox indy(now that was a bad fork!)

Bike Setup:   17" Rocklobster fuji stout lite-frame, XT/LX/RC components, 517 rims on LX hubs, Wellgo BMX style pedals

Submitted by timmy p a Downhiller from bath

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2002

Strengths:    this fork offers a sweet 3 and a half inch travel and has a place for every brake including caterlevers hahahaha.well the colours vary igot mine in yelloow and they r sweet reallt sweet.

Weaknesses:    none apart from that the hole thing can be taken apart from allen key ummm but it doenst bother me that much.

Bottom Line:
these forks are sweet and offer plush travel for 3.5 inches and are cheep new,so if u like jumping get em thats wot i use um for and a bit of downhilling!!well thats all bye bye!!!????

Favorite Trail:   white bridge

Purchased At:   second hand from my m8 sean

Similar Products Used:   gt rigdids,hahahahha

Bike Setup:   gt chucker,mozo pros,d521s onto deore disc,magura louise disc brakes,xt,tioga tyres,tioga bar+stem,azonic headlock, fsa v drive cranks,

Submitted by Dan arneil from Ramsey, Isle of man, UK

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2002

Strengths:    Strong, good elastamers, good price, light

Weaknesses:    None really

Bottom Line:
Good forks aslong as u give them time to break in.

Purchased At:   England someplace

Similar Products Used:   RST 381 triples, Indy C

Bike Setup:   LX,XT,Scram,Sr suntour,RSTs,Maguras,Mavics on a 15" Mission Lockstock trials frame

Submitted by Daniel Holmes a Downhiller from Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2001

Strengths:    Look Good on my bike (red rims, red frame, red forks).
Heeps easy to clean/service.
Good Fork for beginner.

Weaknesses:    BAD, BAD, BAD seals, i dont know if its the stuff i do or the fork i use that is the course of the blown seals. I just dont have the money to upgrade. When the seals are blown the new grease that u have ut in them just literally pours out.

Bottom Line:
It WAS a good fork for beginners when the seals werent blown. but now they leak greas like when u squeeze mashed potato out of your mouth. (eeewwww). but it would be and allright fork for ppl with limited price ranges and beginners. EASY TO CLEAN/SERVICE!!!!!! not good for fast hard DHing (but yes i did use it for that) and yeah.

Favorite Trail:   Everyone in Belair

Purchased At:   Stupid Elliots (Super Elliots)

Similar Products Used:   RST 381's

Bike Setup:   Sun Rhino lite Rims, shogun Slickrock STX, full LX componentry (i upgraded it all my self), Azonic 2.5inch risers, lots of extra's. the only original part is the brake leavers. (pitty my bike just got stolen on the weekend :(. it was quoted at $AU2223 and i only get $AU750 from insurance)

Submitted by brian philips a Racer from cornwall

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2001

Strengths:    dont be silly, they are wank for trail riding!

Weaknesses:    DONT BUY THEM! there are too many to list!

Bottom Line:
The biggest hunk of pap i have ever seen or ridden!

Favorite Trail:   st.dennis

Purchased At:   ?

Similar Products Used:   rst zeta

Bike Setup:   coyote hardtail 26"

Submitted by Pritch a Weekend Warrior from Bristol, UK

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
These came with my bike and although I do not think they're the best part of my bike or belong on anything woth alot over £500 (800US$ish) I think for medium stress XC riding they are fine.

Some people say that they are not good for downhillers, well quel surprise, look at them!! They are not Downhill forks! Listen, if you want to go downhilling you have to spend a bit of money on forks for that purpose, do not try and make something like this do that: it will just break.

I feel these are more suited to a hardtail than a full bouncer, where I normally prefer upwards of 4 inches to match a typical fox rear or otherwise. These claim to have 3.5 but I don't think my do, there's a good deal of ambiguity about these forks (RST are a little mysterious).

Mine have lasted two years without a problem, but I've looked after them, cleaning them inside with a toothbrush on one occasion! I think front forks respond better to a sevice than any other part of a bike bar chain so look after them, don't expect too much (i.e 6 foot jumps) and you'll be fine.

Favorite Trail:   Leigh Woods

Bike Setup:   stock(ish) Nail Trail '99

Submitted by tomW from oxford [england]

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2001

Strengths:    thats difficult.

Weaknesses:    lets see. these forks are the biggest pile of sh1te i have ever ridden. they are supossed to have 3.5 inches travel, and mine have about 1. the rebound is so fast, if you hit a bump, the fork will compress and then throw u off the bike with the rebound. [the rebound adjuster doesn't seem too work]. other than that they are good

Bottom Line:
i have not used these forks for anything bigger than a root so far, i am scared too. i have not customised them at all yet, but i may try. i might not bother though as some people have said they are weak, not realy ideal for jumps.

Favorite Trail:   FoD

Similar Products Used:   rst 281's [better than my mozo's], rock shox judy dh [single crown] [sh1te], rock shox judy xl [ok], rock shox judy sl 98 [pants].

Bike Setup:   trailstar

Submitted by Sean Passingham a Weekend Warrior from Swindon

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2001

Strengths:    Cheap, look chunky, buzby yellow

Weaknesses:    *clunk* over every bump, watch the elastomers cease in winter, observe as the preload adjustment knob stops turning in either direction on both legs after the threads got stripped somehow.

Bottom Line:
After about three weeks light use I noticed a lot of stiction, I phoned the shop who told me they needed servicing every 90 days (which didnt help), a week later the threads went on the preload adjusters and I was stuck with a hard fork, I also notice half the paintwork stripping away from the fork (I assume it's down to a poor paintjob on possibly alu lower legs)

Favorite Trail:   Caesars Camp

Purchased At:   Some bike shop in Aldershot

Similar Products Used:   RST Delta TL

Bike Setup:   7005 DB Frame, Kore/Deore/etc etc

Submitted by Tom from UK

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2001

Strengths:    Oi, only read + review on this page if you want to learn about improving your MoZo.

Bottom Line:
Seeing as you can read my review lower down I'll cut to the chase.
This fork is the business, Bladteth is rigth about the weight setting but don't worry, get some new internals.
I've got 130mm coil springs in the post and as soon as I've slipped them in I'll kick any Z1zzzzzzz to the dirt.
I've got the BETD brace, c my review. and I've got a oil damper, from a Delta TL, ready to retro fit, from my local RST dealer. I'm also making enquiries about re-plating the stantions with something nice.
mail 4 more info, or with any ideas of your own, I'd be happy to share.

Submitted by matt jon a Racer from p.c.

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2001

Strengths:    good prelode dampening light (every thing)

Weaknesses:    nothing the schock is my favorite choice

Bottom Line:
a great fork for anyones buck but not the best for a xcountry rider may be to heavy for your liking but matbe not

Favorite Trail:   radical