RST EL 281 Front Shock

1.88/5 (8 Reviews)
Weight : 1.97 kg

Submitted by Chris Kuhn from Moab, Utah, USA

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2001

Strengths:    It's better than a ridge fork, by far.

Weaknesses:    Very little travel and zero dampening. It also sticks a little, even after heavy lube.

Bottom Line:
I was combining 2 junkers (that I got for free!)together a beater bike that could ride into town and not have to lock up. All I had was a ridged fork. I haven't riden ridged forked bike in years. It was horible. I could feel it snap my neck around on the slightest bump. I foound this fork used at one of the local shops for $20. What a deal! It only has like, 65-70mm of travel, but it is by far better than a ridged fork! Don't buy this fork if you plan on taking it out on a real trail, buy something with more travel and some dampening!

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   Used from Moab Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   I once had a Rock Shox Jett XC, which also has next to nothing in the dampening department.

Bike Setup:   Nearly toasted 14" diamond back frame; risers and the highest stem I could find; seat post set a little above the highest recommended level =) I'm 5'11", you see. It looks like a BMX with 26" rims, but I trued the rims, rebuilt the hubs, new cables all around. The rear shifter is an old Shimano 7 speed rapid fire and the front is an even older non-indexed thumb lever that I just leave on the middle ring. The crank is STX 170mm, which is shorter than I'm used to, and after I got used to it, I kind of like the shorteer arms for spinning, it smooths things out, but it's definately a loss in power. This bike will never see anything more than pavement and dirt road. Though i do still take 3 foot ledges =)

Submitted by Mike Beeton a Weekend Warrior from Delhi Ont Canada

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2001

Strengths:    You got to be kidding

Weaknesses:    I don`t have allnight, Lets just say if this is state of the art then I think we should all be wearing skins. I hope the boys at RST read these posts. Who the hell is running that company anyway? an accountant.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is I have been riding and racing motocross bikes for 25 years and these forks are a joke. Well I guess they are better than no forks(but not by much)

Bike Setup:   Warp DS 3. Good bike for the money,but wait I have to buy new forks.

Submitted by Dan a Cross Country Rider from Sarasota, FL USA

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2001

Strengths:    Value, value, value

Weaknesses:    Not great for exteme riding

Bottom Line:
I've read several reviews on the RST 281 and have concluded that most of the people who get this fork expect too much from it. It isn't the best fork in the world, for sure....but it is quite adequate for people who are, a) not into racing, b) not into jumping off of houses with this fork, c) bombing downhill, d) not too large. I'm lucky in that I'm a fairly small guy....135 lbs. My bike is used largely for getting to and from work, about a six mile ride from home, and the occasional trail ride. If you want a fork that WILL smooth out the bumps in the road, will keep you from wearing your shoulders as earrings whence going over railroad crossings, or a nice leasurly ride down your favorite trail, this could be a good fork for smaller riders to consider. You just can't beat the price, that's for certain.

Purchased At:   Cyclepath, Canada

Bike Setup:   KHS Montana Descent, 1994, Deore LX componentry

Submitted by Andy "The Hornet" a Cross Country Rider from Penang

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2001

Strengths:    Worth the prices paid for.Good enough for cross country ride.Better than a rigid fork.

Weaknesses:    Minimal travel,heavy amnd non adjustable.

Bottom Line:
The fork is good enough for beginners and worth the prices.Upgrade to a better fork when it is worn out.

Favorite Trail:   Penang Hill DH

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain frame with XT,LX,Alivio and Bontrager components.

Submitted by tomek a Weekend Warrior from Guelph/Calgary

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2001

Strengths:    cheep, easy to maintain, cheep cheep,
they have survived all the punishment I give them and still they perform the same so thats a plus.

Weaknesses:    bottom out veeeeery easily, not much travel, nothing to adjust except how much easier you want to bottom out

Bottom Line:
They've hit the botom line-time for a real upgrade

Favorite Trail:   lotsa grinding dirt

Purchased At:   A really good store

Similar Products Used:   nothing to compare

Bike Setup:   Norco-bushpilot, The bike is great as a speedy trailbike but the shocks are there for a little more cussion.

Submitted by Craig Barnstable a Weekend Warrior from Calgary

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2001

Strengths:    The best thing about these shocks is the day you get rid of them.

Weaknesses:    They bottom out riding off curbs, nuff said.

Bottom Line:
Spend the extra money and buy a bike with a better fork. Im getting Judy SL put on in 2 days and that day can't come fast enough. If your considering buying these by themselves, have your head examined.

Bike Setup:   2000 Giant Warp DS/3

Submitted by Knight Jedi a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2001

Strengths:    If you want a fork that will bottom out when your 14 year old skinny little sister is riding it then by all means buy this fork

Weaknesses:    This is my first mtb after riding bmx for most of my life and this fork should never has been made let alone put on a $1800 AUS bike. I does nothing for my fairly good frame

Bottom Line:
Stay away from this fork. Spend the extra dosh or ride ya mum's bike
P.S. I'm not sorry to rst for this posting this fork makes me want to keep riding bmx. Shame on you

Favorite Trail:   Oxford Falls

Purchased At:   Bikeshop

Similar Products Used:   When I can finally afford a new set with the ozzy dollar the way it is I'll buy some

Bike Setup:   Raceline XC Dualie Deore components Azonic stem and riser bars

Submitted by Ben Wilson from NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2001

Strengths:    It Has none!!!!

Weaknesses:    They bottom out very easily, they have pratically no adjustment.

Bottom Line:
These forks suck!!!!
not worth the effort or the money....
buy some decent forks!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Willans Hill Fire Trail