RST 461 Front Shock

3.47/5 (47 Reviews)

RST 461

Submitted by R G a Downhiller from Leuven

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2001

Strengths:    -price/quality
-lot's of travel
-easy maintenance
-stronger than i expected

Weaknesses:    -too soft for fast climbing
-at higher speeds (+ 25mph) a little unpredictable

Bottom Line:
If you are on a budget and want to ride dualslalom with a hardtail, this is THE fork.
I have this fork more than 1 year and i crash a lot (believe me) and the fork is still working fine.
At high speeds (+25mph) it can be a little unpredictable in the corners. You will get used to it and it gives an extra adrenaline shot for free.
Snobs, namedroppers and preppies DON'T BUY this fork, you will not like the BRAND. Buy a 1000+ BoXXer with extra extra extra large RockShox stickers.

considering the Price/Quality this is a very nice DH fork.

Favorite Trail:   anything more than 20% down

Purchased At:   Local shop

Similar Products Used:   Judy TT and other RST products

Bike Setup:   GT stock components + Ritchy + RST461 DH + pshychoIII-DH rims

Submitted by menno groeneveld a Weekend Warrior from hereyougoweirth holland

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2001

Strengths:    een top vork, voor een lage prijs, een jaar geleden betaalde ik er nog geen 600 gulden voor, nu is de vork nog steeds in een top staat terwijl er al aardig mee tekeer is gegaan. zowel kleine als grote hobbels en stenen worden prima opgevangen. ook met forst is de vork nog opvallend soepel.
Dit in tegenstelling tot de Q21R die in de winter zo stijf was als een plank zodat ik uit nood maar een paar veren heb gemonteert.

Weaknesses:    het nadeel van deze vork vind ik dat er zeer weinig tunings onderdelen voor zijn en dat er op de rst site zelfs niets over de vork terug te vinden is.
Ook de bijgeleverde documentatie is zeer minimaal.

Bottom Line:
Good value for money lots and lots better than my old Q21R and the damn headshock dd50.

Favorite Trail:   coo belgium

Purchased At:   local bike store

Similar Products Used:   rockshox Quada 21 R.
Headshock DD50.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale super V 700 met FOX achter demper en dus de RST voorop ipv de headshock dd50 die al na twee ritten stuk was.

Submitted by Sloth a Downhiller from Australia

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2001

Strengths:    Plenty of travel, good price.

Weaknesses:    Compatibility with other components

Bottom Line:
Look, these are the first set of shockies I've had a real go on. I've found that these have helped me enjoy the idea of shockies, but I now know there are better things out there. There;s heaps of travelon them so I've never had them bottom out on me but at 100kg I found that they're impossibe to get damped as I'd like them. They're as hard as they'll go but they still bounce horribly while I climb, and on a daulie its almost impossible to alter my riding style to compensate.

They don't give the wheel much clearance and so I have to sacrifice on the size of my front tire. I've tried finding a fender that fits these things (mud is real problem on most rides here) and I've found that none exist. And if you're someone who has to fit your bike into a car very often, they block the v-brake pads so that you can't get the tire out easily. They are heavy.

If you've got the money get something else. If you don't, do you really need a triple crown?

Submitted by Scott Munro a Weekend Warrior from Dumfries, Scotland

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2000

Bottom Line:
Can anyone tell me how to serveice my 461's myself I'm having a bit of trouble as they are sticking at the top and bottoming out when on a loose setting,

Scott_IMunro@hotmail.com

Submitted by nottifrog a Weekend Warrior from singapore

Date Reviewed: July 8, 1999

Strengths:
Wah haha! This fork is kinda fun if you're on a budget like me. Its quite stiff etc initially. But I got it seasoned now and its plush! Goes down the rocky stuff well, feels great. The colour appears to go well with my bike's colour (red with white bike logo). I had it on the softest setting since day one and the fork hasn't bottomed out yet. Can take the abuse that I give it. What else can I say?

Weaknesses:
didn't find any so far...

Bottom Line:
Its a great fork for ppl on a budget..gives u 4 inches too.

pulau ubin...bukit timah??

1 Year

RST 261..was stock on my bike

khs fxt sport... shockworks rear shock.

Submitted by Anthony griffiss a Downhiller from Corsham, Wilts

Date Reviewed: April 13, 1999

Strengths:
The forks are quite good at absorbing small and big bumps, very plush once you bed them in.

Weaknesses:
Too weak, the stanchion tubes need to be stronger also the brace.I managed to bend them within two weeks of purchase.

Bottom Line:
Well, im only 16, but still open for offers of sponsorship my website is http://www.griffiss.freeserve.co.uk/pro/ant.htm which will be running by June please keep looking. 'nyway - These forks are quite good for the money but I managed to bend them in 2 weeks and the company would not give me new stachion tubes so send me some for free please. Thankyou for offering. 461 DH's are good for small and big hit responses once bedded in and ideal for beginners. These forks should offer oil damping as opposed to air, and should a larger diameter stanchion tube to improve the strength of the forks. Other then that the forks are quite good for the price. I definately recommend them to DH beginners. (waffle) (only smarties have the answer)

Cheddar Challange

6 months

Pace RC 150 Monster Fork, MOZO Pro 4.5, Pace RC 36 PRO EVO 2, RockShox Boxer 151, White Brothers UD150

custom built hardtail,Mavic rims on Hope hubs with hydraulic brakes,DMR flat peddles

Submitted by Lewis Clarke a Cross-Country Rider from Warwickshire, England

Date Reviewed: March 17, 1999

Strengths:
Price (~£100/$160)
Look pretty good.
Reasonable weight 3.4 lb. (1.57kg).
You can customise them rather than replace them.

Weaknesses:
RST's reputation seem to be cheapo forks. They may be, but I haven't found any other weakness.

Bottom Line:
They aren't worn in fully yet and if they don't loosen up I'll sort the internals out. They haven't bottomed out on anything. They do seem better on the heavy duty stuff though. I think most people tend to be biased by brand names, and rather than customise what they have, they buy far more expensive replacement forks for little advantage. After all the outside of most forks is essentially the same and changing the springs and MCU is far cheaper, and more likely to suit your regular terrain. It's a balance of price versus performance at the end of the day so it's up to you to spend appropriately, with this in mind I rate the RST 461's the best at their price.

The World is a big place

6 months

Other forks I've tested recently that were all more expensive: Marzocchi Z-2 Bam's White Brother's XC70's Rockshox Judy XC's

'98 Orange O2 hardtail (in the same cream/white colour)

Submitted by Paul Dixon a weekend warrior from Plymouth, UK

Date Reviewed: February 21, 1999

Bottom Line:

For the money, these forks seem pretty reasonable. They are intially a little stiff but just need bedding in slightly. Overall, I have no genuine complaints; they work well on all bumps up to around 4-5 inches or so, and, despite the price, still succeed in glueing your front wheel to the trail. Having ridden forks costing £200 more, I can assure anyone reading this that the difference, although noticable, certainly doesn't warrant the extra cost. Buy these and you will not be disappointed.

Submitted by Joe.g. a cross-country rider from Watford,England

Date Reviewed: February 10, 1999

Bottom Line:

I have got somr RST 461 DH,THEY ARE REALY SOFT AND SMOOTH AND GIVE 4 INCHES OF PLUSH TRAVEL.IF YOU WAN'T RST AND YOUR BETWEEN 8 AND 14 STONE GET THESE(THERE GREAT FOR JUMPS.)(GOOD VALUE)

Submitted by Daniel a racer from Lancaster

Date Reviewed: January 16, 1999

Bottom Line:

these forks are quite simply the best, they absorb everything from pebbles to boulders with consummate ease never floundering, or gettinhg out of hand.
now i have to use up words just so that i can get my review on the site, but these forks really are good honest. service intervals are staggeringly good i only serviced mine once in eight years of riding. JUST STOP READING THIS AND GO OUT TO BUY SOME.

Submitted by jas a racer from Notts, England

Date Reviewed: December 29, 1998

Bottom Line:

I had some RST 461's for one year and they were ok. I got some Marzocchi Z1's
and they are proper suspension forks. Cheap forks are a false economy, they can jepordise control, make the front end heavy and feel like Sh*te. Stay rigid until you can get some decent £350+ forks.

Submitted by Charles Mackeurtan a cross-country rider from South Africa

Date Reviewed: December 29, 1998

Bottom Line:

I THINK THAT RST461 ARE THE BEST SHOX IN THE WORLD.I HAVE RST461 AND HAVE NOT
COME ACROSS BETTER SHOX.RST461 ARE BETTER THAN MOST PEARS OF ROCK SHOX
AND IF YOU DON'T HAVE THEM GO AND GET THEM.
THERE GREAT.

Submitted by Clinton Hardinge a cross-country rider from Auckland, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: December 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

Because they do not have a sight for RST 261 site I will post it here. These RST's are the
worst shocks ever. Every time I hit something hard It makes a crappy popping sound.
They always bottom up and they have no preload adjument, I will be upgrading to a RST
461 Triple clamp for christmas so thats good.By the way these suck.

Submitted by Kraig McCarthy a weekend warrior from South Wales, UK

Date Reviewed: December 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

RST 461
I bought these to replace the stock forks that I had on a 95 Saracen Sahara ( MaxShock - no travel and made form cast iron!) and got the 461's for £85 from Ribble Cycles in Preston. £85 is a damned unbelievable price and my mates who have 96 Judy XC's and Mazzochi Z2's are both well impressed. The travel is fine for hardish riding, but flex under braking is a bit unsettling, definitely the best fork of stock price under £200 that I have ridden. Unfortunately my bike was stolen a couple of weeks ago , so I am having to ride around on a beaten up old BMX, but when my insurance money comes through I plan to buy an Azonic DS2 frame with RST Mozo 4.5 on the front. Long live RST as the king of budget forks.
The RST 461 gets 4 chiles on price and performance - and there is nothing wrong with the classy cream colour!

Submitted by Matthew a weekend warrior from Sydney Australia

Date Reviewed: December 10, 1998

Bottom Line:

Rst 381L, as a first fork I thought they were great, untill I rode another hardtail. It was at this point that I realised they were pieces of shit. They have no response to small stuff, shitloads of flex and a really wussy gold colour. Spend the extra money and buy something else, say how about a set of Answer's or Judy's. If you have any experience in riding don't bother. As a cheap first fork they will serve you fine, just don't ride another bike with suspension forks.