RST 180 Front Shock

1.74/5 (19 Reviews)

Rst 180

Submitted by Brent jones a Cross Country Rider from southern florida

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2005

Strengths:    None i bougth a bike for my son so he could start Riding with his dad (me) and it sucks I mean for the price u want u can get a fox vanilla with % inchs of travel

Weaknesses:    All

Bottom Line:
if u want more travel then buy a rigid Or save ur money and get a decent rock sox or fox

Favorite Trail:   Sneaky snake, cruddy buddy, puff n stuff

Purchased At:   lakeland trek

Similar Products Used:   Fox talas ,rock shox sid,fox vanilla,Rock shox Boxer

Bike Setup:   specialized epic full shimano xtr fox talas up front

Submitted by Tyler Gentry a Weekend Warrior from Gibsons BC

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2004

Strengths:    ROCKSHOX PSYLOS GOOD FOR 12 RIDES

Weaknesses:    EVERYTHING

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that I spend $2600 canadian on a bike and four months later, only 12 or so rides not too extreme,my shocks leak oil. So I contact my local Bike shop Spin Cyles in Gibsons and they cant get eany seal kits to fix the shocks.Now Ive been stuck without shocks for three months and nothing can be done about it.I just want people to know that this is the worst customer service Ive ever received and I will never buy Rockshock and Giant products ever again.

Favorite Trail:   cunning stunts

Purchased At:   ROCK SHOX USA

Bike Setup:   full suspension AC3 GIANT 6inch travel front and rear

Submitted by Kyle léblanc a Downhiller from Moncton,New Brunswick,Canada

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2003

Strengths:    good question

Weaknesses:    to many to name

Bottom Line:
dont wast your money on this $#!T

Favorite Trail:   poly Mountian

Purchased At:   bungays

Similar Products Used:   rock shox gps

Bike Setup:   K2

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2002

Strengths:    Strong, low maintenance, cheap.

Weaknesses:    No plushness, no travel

Bottom Line:
These are very stiff shox, and surprisingly havenèt broken yet. I weight 130 lbs, and they only move when i really beat on them which is ok for now, but i am getting better shocks soon. I couldnèt imagine weighing any more than me and using these. The travel is also very low. They haven;t broken yet so that might be a good thing.

Purchased At:   Cameron Cycle

Similar Products Used:   marzocchi bomber Z1ès, Rock Shox Judy TT

Bike Setup:   2002 katmandu

Submitted by Shawn a Downhiller from Victoria BC

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2002

Strengths:    Solid Build, good for small jumps and soaking up small bumps along the trails.

Weaknesses:    Bottoms out pretty easily. Pretty crappy seals, No damping or preload.

Bottom Line:
A suspension fork that will do the job but for begginers only. It's a pretty good fork for the dollar, but I suggest upgrading to at least an RST 381. Cut off the boots for a cool looking suspension though.

Favorite Trail:   Hartland

Purchased At:   Russ Hay's Victoria

Similar Products Used:   RockShocks Indy

Bike Setup:   2002 Norco Katmandu

Submitted by DanO a Weekend Warrior from Midland, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2002

Strengths:    not very many. better than a rigid fork off 3ft+ jumps.

Weaknesses:    virtually no travel, the opposite of plush, doesn't suck up bumps.

Bottom Line:
the fork SUCKS! don't ever think about buying it. if it comes on your bike(like mine), either buy a better bike, or save up and buy a new fork (Rock Shox or Manitou products) i would not even consider this a suspension fork because I can not even get 30mm of travel out of it! if buying a new bike or fork, ride it off-road before you buy it, and try many different products to find one that actually WORKS! don't waste your time with this fork!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Pine Haven

Purchased At:   Ray's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Indy, Jett, Judy

Bike Setup:   Raleigh M40

Submitted by Adam Pierce a Downhiller from Melbourne, VIC, AUST

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2001

Strengths:    ummmmm........ theyre...... uhhhh....... dunno

Weaknesses:    everything, twisted em on landing a 3ft jump! (yes i landed properly) they suck real bad
bottoms out on a bunny hop
better off with rigid forks

Bottom Line:
FORGET EM GET RIGID FORKS, YOU'LL BE BETTER OFF

Favorite Trail:   east camberwell jumps

Purchased At:   goldcross cycles

Similar Products Used:   rigid forks (theyre betta)

Bike Setup:   dunno, my bikes a 1999 warp ds 3 (piece fo sh*t)

Submitted by Max Kalman a Cross Country Rider from chestnut ridge, NY

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2001

Strengths:    none.... it bottoms out even when I do a bunny hop. I bought it for $60, but it was still a rip off. u are better of putting the original fork back on and making your tires flat. that will work better

Weaknesses:    has basicly no travel, bottoms out easily, and does not do anyhting on trails

Bottom Line:
well, even if u are a weekend warrior, this is still not worth it. I could buy Judy TT's for $100 and Jett's for $70. u are better off getting one of those. u can also get Rock Shox Metro's, for like $40. overall, this is a total rip off. so, the bottom line is, even if u are a beginner, still dont buy this Shock.

Favorite Trail:   any good trail

Purchased At:   valley cycle shop

Similar Products Used:   RST 150

Bike Setup:   Trek 800 with RST 180 shocks

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2001

Strengths:    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... little kids think it's cool u have shox

Weaknesses:    no travel, bent after a 3 foot drop (landing properly, very weak

Bottom Line:
This shock sucked, it had no travel, bent out of shape easily, DO NOT BY THIS SHOCK OR A BIKE THAT HAS RST 180 ON IT, trust me you'll save yourself alot of money, and also RST is crazy thinking that it will sell for $200, Instead of spending money on this piece of cr@p shock save up for some marzocchi bombers or a nice frame

Favorite Trail:   Nicholes poles

Similar Products Used:   Rock shox: Jett, Judy, Metro, Indy
Rst:156, 280, 281, 381, DH
Marzochhi: Bombers (various), Zokes

Bike Setup:   Norco Wolverine w/ Marzocchi

Submitted by Jay P a Cross Country Rider from Simi Valley, CA

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2001

Strengths:    Not much flex but then again there are lots of forks out there with not a lot of flex. Um... yeah that's all I can think of.

Weaknesses:    If you're actually thinking about buying this fork do yourself a favor and save some cash by deflating your tire. No joke! It absorbs hits about as good as a nearly flat tire.

Bottom Line:
My buddy's sister bought some crap bike from Wal-mart and never rode it. We noticed it had an RST 180 fork on it. Me being a scraper, I couldn't resist the opportunity to swap this fork with the rigid I had been riding on. I used the RST 180 for about a month and decided to just put my rigid fork back on; it's lighter and has better response. Don't even think of buying this fork for any reason. If you buy a bike and it comes with it, then fine.

Favorite Trail:   Cheeseboro Canyon, Agoura, CA

Similar Products Used:   Manitou SX-R

Bike Setup:   Skyway, Lemurian Pro-Am, rigid fork.

Submitted by Mountain Bikers a Downhiller from Hell

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2000

Strengths:    Ummmmmm, I think I got one... Put it on my three year old brother's tricycle to make him happy!!!

Weaknesses:    Everything. My brother broke them in a week!!!

Bottom Line:
Makes a great present for 2-36 month old kids!!!

Favorite Trail:   Reeper

Purchased At:   Hell Cycling

Similar Products Used:   Racing Bike fork

Bike Setup:   Norco VPS-1

Submitted by Damien a Weekend Warrior from England

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2000

Strengths:    Cheap, looks alright.

Weaknesses:    Not enough travel even for road use

Bottom Line:
There is only about two inches travel so they are totally pointless. They cant even soak up a cerb for god's sake!
Stay well clear, unless you are on a tight budget.

Similar Products Used:   Rst high 5's, Z1 Bams

Bike Setup:   Carrera Kraken, 21 speed with shimano alivio components

Submitted by scuba hood a Cross Country Rider from ottawa, ontario, canada

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2000

Strengths:    hmmmm...nope, i tried, i really cant think of any...oh, no wait, i got one, little kids who dont know anything about bikes might be impressed that you have suspension

Weaknesses:    it costs a lot for a rigid fork

Bottom Line:
dont be fooled people, this is a RIGID FORK. it makes rides on fairly flat grass or bark mulch seem almost like concrete with an actual rigid fork, but doing big dropoffs like, lets say, a curb, this fork will bottom out. buy a rigid fork and save some money, unless, like my friend, you bought this on a canadian tire bike for $114 (thats canadian, about $80 US) which, admitedly, is a good deal for a whole bike, get a rigid fork, if you actually want a suspension fork then get any bomber, manitou, judy or higher for rock shox (jetts are only slightly better than this fork) or one of the very best rsts.

Similar Products Used:   the rigig fork on my old raleigh cliffhanger

Bike Setup:   kona firemountain, stock except for new fork, '00 Z5

Submitted by Gordon a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2000

Strengths:    good shock; but only for BEGGINERS. on my old bike I had these shocks and they were great! I was just starting out. Helps on the bumps alot.

Weaknesses:    I'm now a great biker and have MArzocchi Z5 bombers and no comparision

Bottom Line:
Buy this shock on a bike already at a discount mart or Sport MArt exc. My old bike was $400 (canadian) with this shock.

Favorite Trail:   $hit happens

Submitted by Super Dan a Cross Country Rider from Jacksonville, FL

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2000

Strengths:    This product stays together pretty good. It hasn't fallen apart on me yet. It handles good on bumpy or rocky roads, and doesn,t lose its compression like Wall-Mart "Next" bikes.

Weaknesses:    Can not take impact for stunt riding. It makes deafening noise when bottoming out. It is starting to loosenup on me.

Bottom Line:
It was a good bargian when I got the bike for $107 new at a going out of business Jumbo Sports.

Favorite Trail:   Hanna Park, Jacksonville,Fl