RockShox SID XC 99 Front Shock

3.74/5 (104 Reviews)

Rock Shox '99 SID XC

Submitted by judge dredd

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2012

Strengths:    very light, plush, adjustable because of negative air chamber
works perfect

Weaknesses:    little flexy but you can get used to it

Bottom Line:
I drove this fork for few days and it changed my bike. Front end of bike was very maneuverable. Tried it at the dirt fireroad and I was reborn.
I'm buying new SID when i get the money

Submitted by HG GH a Cross Country Rider from Idaho Falls, ID

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2002

Strengths:    Durability, Performance, Weight

Weaknesses:    Stiffness

Bottom Line:
While this fork may not be quite as stiff as most of us would like, that can be easily fixed by spending an extra $30 to get a stiffer hub (DT HUGI MAYBE). I am still riding this fork on into 2003 and it is performing as great as it did when it was new. The fork was taken apart a couple of months ago and the report was that the oil was still a beautiful and clear red. It holds air great, has infinite adjustability, and is light. The fork is awesome and I intend to ride on a SID the rest of my life.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Rock's Cycling and Fitness

Similar Products Used:   Manitou, Marzochi

Bike Setup:   FS Full XT

Submitted by jake a Cross Country Rider from north vt, nocal

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2002

Strengths:    very light and plush with red paint! when i got it i put 50 lbs of air in all three chambers and have not felt the need to touch it for the last year

Weaknesses:    the adjuster knob really doesnt do anything for me (150lbs)

Bottom Line:
so far this fork has been maintinece free and has given me no excuse to swap somthing out in its place.

Favorite Trail:   skeggs

Purchased At:   village bike

Similar Products Used:   rs judy

Bike Setup:   mongoose hardtail deore/xt parts w/thomson, avid, mavic,panaracer,and wtb mixed.

Submitted by Halvard Avdem a Weekend Warrior from Norway

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2002

Strengths:    Light, plush,easy adjustments.

Weaknesses:    Flexy, some minor problems with the internals, the damper rod shaft broke during reassembly,resulted in a 150$ repair. The rebound/compression adjuster has never really worked. valves keep backing out.

Bottom Line:
Great fork for light riders NOT doing six feet drops.Easy to adjust. Not suitable with disc brakes. To flexy.

Favorite Trail:   everywhere

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Xvert e, Sid XC 00, Sid 100, Psylo, Z1, and many more

Bike Setup:   Xcaliber, hayes, Bontrager wheels, Sram.

Submitted by jason kay from perry,oh,usa

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2002

Strengths:    it's red,it's lightweight,but that is about all

Weaknesses:    leaks air, redrum,and stripped threads

Bottom Line:
all i know is that when you get a fork, i don't expect to have so many problems right off the bat. air leaked out overnight. the air cap shoots off when it feels like it. it leaks redrum faster then the blood flow from my wrists.air valve threads stripped the third time i put air in. about the only thing good about it was that it was a christmas present(sorry mom, next time i'll take the wool- sweater)...

Similar Products Used:   judy sl,white brothers sc72,manitou mars1

Submitted by Thomas a Weekend Warrior from Niskayuna, NY US

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2002

Strengths:    Light, Plush when you first buy it!

Weaknesses:    Requires Maintinence, and it died!

Bottom Line:
I was really happy with it when I first bought it. For me the air was not a problem but I am light only 140 lbs. After a year it wasn't as plush as it had been. 6 monts later it starting clicking. I changed the oil and nothing. I brough it to the shop and they fixed it, I don't remember what was wrong. It had $#%#@ loads of stiction then. It started to loosen up and then 8 months later it is clicking again. WTF!!!!! I'm done with this crap and getting a Duke SL, if this one dies Rock Shox is out!!!

Bike Setup:   Mongoose NX 8.1, XTR/XT mix some other nice goodies

Submitted by Scott Clements a Racer from Tasmania

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2001

Strengths:    These forks are really light, (around the 2.9 3.0 pound mark). They have a really soft feel on the desents, and a stiff air feel on the climbs. Air forks rule!!! The rebound and compression knob works for me. Not to a great extent, but I noticed it. Looks the goods!~

Weaknesses:    A little flexy, quite obvious actually. R+C Air cartridge needs fixing, but they are 3rd hand, and almost 4 years old. Apart from that, they are good.

Bottom Line:
These forks are good for the weekend thrasher, as well as the hard core XC racer. A very light way out, with a good 80mm of super sweet travel. I'm quite light, about 60 kgs, and they dont even come close to using their full travel. So I don't know what all you fat $%^&(sorri, no offence) are doing, but they still shouldn't bottom out!!!~

Favorite Trail:   Break Neck Track =P

Purchased At:   a friend.

Similar Products Used:   Not sure. Haven't had many to compare to, but I would say 2000 SID SL, and RACE, (cos of the crown).

Bike Setup:   Trek 4500, LX, XT, crappy and old!!! Getting a new one soon!!!Whoo hoo. (right)

Submitted by Guido from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2001

Strengths:    Nice ride

Weaknesses:    Leaks all the time and does not hold air. After a ride needs air and if the ride is rocky, always bottoming out. The forks tend to be a bit whippy on hard rides.

Bottom Line:
FOr my weight an riding style, I would not recommend this shock. I am about 240 lbs loaded, and ride pretty hard and fast. I have switched to a coil spring shock which is much better.

The shock is probabaly really good for someone under 180 lgs,

Favorite Trail:   Kananaskis

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Only on XC motor bikes, went to inverted style, the best.

Bike Setup:   Spec Stumpjumper Pro, XT Deore

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2001

Strengths:    Lightweight.

Weaknesses:    Designed for riders under 175 lbs. It WILL leak out of the top caps which require a silly adapter. The dampening adjuster doesn't seem to have any effect.

Bottom Line:
I'm sure this is a great shock for certain types of riders but it sure has been problematic.

Having very little time to ride has turned me into a heavy rider ~220 lbs and while this shock worked nicely for only a few rides it has always been unbalanced and sketchy. If it hadn't come OEM I would have been better off (for my riding style) with a Marzocchi Z2 Atom Race. Heck a couple extra pounds doesn't matter when I can probably lose that much on a single ride. ;-).

The main problem is if you fill the compression above the recommended 80 lbs and you are heavier than 180 lbs, you will blow the internals. If you keep it at 80 lbs and you are a heavy rider or like to bomb, you will bottom out.

Now with my SID in 15 pieces and my inability to shell out $385 for a Z2, I am about to install the Eko Air cartridges which seem to handle big loads. Hopefully I can finish the season with these before I replace the whole shock.

Favorite Trail:   Bear Creek

Purchased At:   Came with Bike

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR XC Pro w/ Race Face Tubine LP, XT/XTR. Mavic 555.

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Washington

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2001

Strengths:    Light, adjustable, easy to get the settings just right, rebound/compression adjustment works. C3 air cartridge.

Weaknesses:    A little flexy, will lose air over time (6-8 months).

Bottom Line:
This has been a great fork for me. I've got a couple years of riding on it and I raced it yesterday through some gnarly tree-rut-washout sections. It handled everything without a problem. I only weigh 165 - so about 175 with gear and fully loaded Camelbak. I keep both chambers at 70 psi. This keeps the fork stiff. A big plus as my computer MXS was 49 mph for the downhill section of the race which had a few water-cuts across it. I've never set it for a "plush" (aka - spongey) ride, but for what I want, it's been a great fork!

Similar Products Used:   Z2 BAM, Judy Race

Bike Setup:   XC Hardtail, XTR, 22 lbr.

Submitted by Kai Docq a Downhiller from Nanaimo,BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2001

Strengths:    Light, easy to maintain and kewl design

Weaknesses:    Product weakness, none
waiting to get parts is big time weak

Bottom Line:
Well after my last review on that suspension, i'm glad to find out that a faulty equipment made my task really hard to fill up the pressure on my suspension. My suspension is now working, but i need to rebuild my suspension though and still have to wait a month and half to get my oil seals.

Why is it that we have to wait that long? when i phone to the customer services, they have to send to my local distributor, why can't you send it directly to your customers when they need parts? i was really desapointed to hear that i had to wait that long for parts for my front suspension, it would of been much better for all of us if you (rockshox) would of send it directly to your customers. I'm constantly on my bike, riding every single day in all kind of weather and i have no other vehicle beside my bike nicely customized and i can't barely wait to get parts replacements. waiting a month n half to get parts is way to long. I wish you guys can change that policies of waiting so long and that you can ship your parts directly to your customers.

Anyway, my suspension is working great and i'm glad to have her back on my bike.

i sur ehope that you guys will reply back to me.
product: 5 chillis
getting parts. no chillis

Favorite Trail:   anywhere, as long as i ride

Purchased At:   The RealM

Similar Products Used:   Manitous, Rock ShoX Judy

Bike Setup:   www.adean.co.uk/~aqua/

Submitted by Kai Docq a Downhiller from Nanaimo,Bc, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2001

Strengths:    Light, easy to adjust, nice damping, nice rebound easy
to maintain

Weaknesses:    That freaking valve failed to take my adapter/ Cross threated

Bottom Line:
well i had a wonderfull time with that suspension until yesterday. Damn, i was trying to adjust the air pressure on the left leg of my suspension when my friend and i couldn't put the special adapter in the valve of that left leg. all it did was taken out the air pressure from the tube and we were never able to fill it up of air. now i'm stuck with a suspesion that is 50/50 in working condition. i had to buy a Bomber front suspension 5 inch of travel, as i don't like the stifness of that suspension and nor to say that it is noisy and heavy.

the bike shop owner and i found out that we had to wait a month and a half before getting to the top cap as i really love that suspension. i'm only 115 pounds, feather weight and that suspension was just perfect for me. now it is sitting down on the floor beside my computer waiting to get that freaking top cap and hopefully sell that freaking Bomber suspension. as that Bomber ain't quite compatible with my frame.

well if the Rock shoX owner read this, please send me an email at asap as i want that suspension back on my bike.

as for others that are complaining about air leaks from your suspension, just make sure that your top cap is tight at the proper lbs, otherwise, it will leak. mine never leaked as i read the instruction on their web site. i use to think that rock ShoX had a poor performance when they first started, but i do like the performance of that one as it is a great buy, light, easy to set up when your valve ain't cross threated.

for the performance, i'll give Rock ShoX 5 Chillis
as for the design, i'll give 5 Chillis
the weight, 5 chillis
the wait to get parts, no chillis
valve design: no chillis ( you could of done a better design and easy access to adjust pressure in the tubes)

Favorite Trail:   any will do

Purchased At:   chain reaction

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Judy, manitou, Bomber

Bike Setup:   go have a look at my site at
www.adean.co.uk/~aqua/

Submitted by Lipper from Palo Alto

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2001

Strengths:    Light. Dual Air-Yes it leaks but air is free.
Very sweet crown. Easy to adjust rebound and compression.
Simple as heck to work on. Great fork that is surpassed by the new Dual Air for 01. but only just.
This product is designed for the mid to high range buyer who
likes the feel and adjustablility of Air springs: Genius

Weaknesses:    A little flexy, but I'm 190+ pounds however I care for the equipement.
Leaks a bit of air, not too bad just makes you dial it everytime you ride which I don't mind doing.

Bottom Line:
Ride this fork before making the call, the new Sid stuff is getting very close to the Z1 in terms of plushness and rebound damping. I would say this model is one of the best if not the best fork I have ridden especially for the price you find them at today. 3/30/01. Under 300bucks are you kidding me. Light
I say if you find the deal you won't be sorry. I have my fork set to 80mm.
I'm on the more healthy side and if your not a jackass you don't bottom the fork.
Great tracking, though not near the Z series forks in this area.
If you ride a XC bike, you can't do much better. Treat her right and she won't let you down.

Favorite Trail:   Canyon

Similar Products Used:   Bomber Z1, Z2
Judy RACE, Judy SL, Judy XC, Mag SL, Mag 21

Bike Setup:   M2 with Hell bents , and the big T stem. Race Face SL Headset XT groupo, XTR braking. Old school 1994 Xt hubs and 217rims. 24 lbs

Submitted by Crazy Bit$# a Weekend Warrior from NY

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2001

Strengths:    Does it REALLY have any?..Okay,it's light(like I care)and it's better than a Wal-Mart fork...barely.It also tunes nicely,which is good because YOU WILL BE DOING THIS ALMOST EVERY TIME YOU RIDE!!!!!!

Weaknesses:    -HARSH!!
-Bottoms too easily
-VERY high-maintenence!
-Funky valve that requires a special pump(SOLD SEPARATELY!!Isn't that nice?!)
-Seals leak air and let in a lot of dirt
-THE POOREST STIFFNESS OF ANY FORK EVER MADE!The goddamn thing is so bad,you struggle to keep it on the trail,and if you come upon any rock gardens you'd better walk

Bottom Line:
Christ,what were the Rockshox engineers smoking when they came up with this fork?!

This thing is such a piece of sh$t!!It has NO STIFFNESS,none at all,which resulted in some hairy moments.It is CONSTANTLY leaking and the seals work about as well as a sieve!It requires a dumbass adapter and a special pump to fill it up with air!Plus it's really harsh-riding(the natural give of the Voodoo's frame made up for some of this)and bottoms too easily.My friend was ALWAYS maintaining it,until last week.He finally gave up and bought a '00 Manitou SX-R,and now the ride quality has improved 100%!!!

Stay far,FAR away from Rockshox and their crappy,overrated products!!MARZOCCHI,MANITOU,AND STRATOS RULE!!!!

Favorite Trail:   PLATTEKILL!!!!!

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi Z2 Atom 80,'98 Manitou SX and X-Vert Super(all of these are REAL forks,not just overrated superlight SH$T)

Bike Setup:   This POS was on my friend's Voodoo Sobo(otherwise nice bike)...what was he thinking?!This fork SUCKS A FATTY!!!

Submitted by Paul a Weekend Warrior from Christchurch NZ

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2001

Strengths:    Extremely Plush. Very adjustable. Light weight.

Weaknesses:    Too Fragile. Damping adjuster doesn't seem to work.

Bottom Line:
These forks started out really well. Unfortunately after about 4 weeks of moderate XC work they failed. I am 95 kg and was running the correct air pressure for my weight. Almost unbelievably the cartridge was bent and most of the seals were damaged. The local Rock Shox agent fixed them promptly and under warranty but they shouldn't have failed so quickly in the first place. Nice forks but maybe too fragile.

Favorite Trail:   Bottle Lake Forest

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Bike Setup:   1999 GT LTS

Rebuild Kit for a '99 SiD XC?

I figured this might be the better forum to post this than the shock one. I'm looking to rebuild my old '99 SiD XC Dual Air but am having trouble finding any kits. Theres this link: [url]http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id29.html[/url] but it shows that the kits start for the year 2000. A f ... Read More »

please help: '99 SID SL & 2000 XC compatibility?

i got a brand new sid sl from the good old days, and a rotten 2000 SID XC. i love the SL, because of all that Ti hardware etc., but what i liked about my SID XC was the travel: 80 mm over 60 mm my SL has. so to match front and rear travel with my FS (90 mm), i would like to convert my SL to 80 mm. m ... Read More »