RockShox Mag 21 Front Shock

4.35/5 (106 Reviews)

Mag 21

Submitted by tracman a Cross Country Rider from Port Orchard WA USA

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2011

Strengths:    Absolutely rock solid, a true classic fork, people still look at my bike with respect.

Weaknesses:    I broke the filler cap, and the decals are wearing off, after 15 years.

Bottom Line:
I have had the pleasure of riding an extremely good bike, admired by my fellow riders for over 15 years. People with new Cannondale and S-works bikes usually say something possitive about mine. It is still in perfect condition. It was very expensive when I bought it, but looking back a very cheap investment.

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Constitution

Purchased At:   out of business

Similar Products Used:   none, have test ridden many bikes up to $9000, and am still happy.

Bike Setup:   Shimano deoro lx, derailiers, shimano trigger shifters, Specialized 1.5 wheels,

Submitted by yellowhatman a Cross Country Rider from Richland, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2010

Strengths:    The thing is still going. It has seen it all and took it. The only thing it gets upset about is sitting around (loses a little air) I have never rebuilt it.

Weaknesses:    they dont make them anymore

Bottom Line:
WHat I try to teach my girlfriend..."buy the best ...buy it once" I have no intention of replacing the bike or the fork. I love it. My favorite thing is rolling into a high end bike shop with that bike with that fork and no one tries to sell me a new bike.

Favorite Trail:   the one that doesn't kill me

Similar Products Used:   judy, some other junk

Bike Setup:   96 Specialized m2 fs metal matrix stumpjumper hard tail, lx xt derail, gripshift, 985 brakes, lx paralax hubs, specialized ? rims 1.5, controll tech bars, lx cranks, titanium scewers.

Submitted by Fai a Cross Country Rider from Singapore

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2009

Strengths:    Durability, weight, looks

Weaknesses:    Short travel, complexity of servicing, flexy, mag lowers oxidizes in the humid weather

Bottom Line:
It lasted 13yrs with moderate XC riding and some nasty drops, before the seals started leaking. Zero servicing done before then. Had the steerer tube converted to a threadless alloy tube (from RST) with the help of a motorcycle mechanic and a hydraulic press. Brace is a blue anodized Brodie CNC unit, which made it V-brake compatible. I finally have to lay it to rest. No confidence in servicing such a vintage fork. This is my tribute to teenage days filled with gullible ideas created the tech savvy marketeers, a teenager who fell into the hype and bought an all time great pioneering front sus.

Favorite Trail:   Woodcutter

Purchased At:   Cheap John's Enterpr

Similar Products Used:   RST circa 1995

Bike Setup:   Pacific Coast Frame, 2nd Gen XTR derailleurs, converted 21 SPD XTR cog, DX rear hub/clutch Vintage, USE seat post, Velo Ti seat, Ringle Super Bubba front Vintage, XTR crank, HG Chains, Answer Hyperline straight Bar, Control Stix short bar extensions

Submitted by Dave Gardner a Weekend Warrior from Indianapolis, IN, USA

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2007

Strengths:    Hard to tell, since I did not buy new.

Weaknesses:    Seems to flex just a little, and has a bit of stiction. May need a little Judy butter.

Bottom Line:
Getting the air pressure right is challenging. I bought used on eBay, seller said it sat unused for a couple of years. It so far is not leaking oil or air. I need to try buttering the stanchions, cause it seems to stick a bit in the sliders, but maybe I'm running too much air. Tried 32 lbs in each leg. It is a much nicer ride than rigid fork, and it makes my GT turn on a dime! I appreciate old technology that still works, and this one seems to do just fine.

Favorite Trail:   Town Run Trail

Purchased At:   eBay auction

Similar Products Used:   RST Gila, Manitou OE on a Mongoose NX 8.1

Bike Setup:   GT Outpost Trail cobbled together on the cheap with 7 speed cog, Shimano Alivio crankset, SRAM 3.0 ESP rear derailleur and various other parts.

Submitted by Patryk a Weekend Warrior from Bremerhaven

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2006

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    No so much travel but it like a lowered sports car than :)

Bottom Line:
As Mag21SL Ti i find this is the one of the beautiful forks ever built!

Purchased At:   Internet

Submitted by Nick P. a Weekend Warrior from Oakland, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2006

Strengths:    smooth rebound dampening, longevity

Weaknesses:    a little flexy

Bottom Line:
I got this fork way back in '94 with a new Trek 7000. At the time, the 7000 could be ordered with an OEM front suspension fork, but I opted to get the rigid bike and add the Mag 21. Pretty wise for a 15-year-old kid. I'm now 25, and still riding the same old bike with the same old fork. Did a long travel kit way back when, changed the oil once, and otherwise pretty much left it alone. Leaks a few pounds of air between rides, but I still have the original hypodermic Rock Shox pump. I had my local bike shop convert the Mag to newer Deore V-brakes matched to the old cantilever levers with a pair of old-school pulley adapters. So a V-braked Mag 21 CAN be done. I have only owned one bike and fork in the last decade—this combo has outlasted many things, including the bike-shop chain that sold it to me. No choice but to give it the full five chilis.

Favorite Trail:   redwood regional park

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Bike Setup:   1994 Trek 7000, heavy but bombproof

Submitted by Gus Pineda a Weekend Warrior from Elizabeth, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2006

Strengths:    durablity, reliability, longevity!! This thing took a beatin from me over the years

Weaknesses:    Too bad I couldn't covert it to take V-Brakes!

Bottom Line:
From the first day I took my bike from the bike shop on a ride I was impressed, and I've never had to doubt my shock since then. Over 10 yrs I've had my shock on my Giant and it never failed me. Though every trail, road, jump & turn it hung tough. The combo of oil & air work so great that I didn't want to change my shock, but since I wanted to convert from the oldschool cantilever brakes system originally on my bike to V-brakes, my local bike shop said they couldn't adapt the brakes to the Mag21, so now I got a RockShock SID worldcup, that also is the cats meow!! I've been tempted to sell the Mag21, but I can't find the will to do it. So for those outthere with Mag21's cherish your shock, there's very few shocks outhere that can compare to its quality.

Favorite Trail:   Cheesequake lake trail

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Rock shox SID worldcup

Bike Setup:   '93 Giant CFM2 hardtail Shimano LX/XT components, Aerospoke wheels, Bontrager Bars/stem/seatpost

Submitted by p t a Weekend Warrior from mpls

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2006

Strengths:    reliability - bomb-proof!!

Weaknesses:    if i was a wanker i'd say the weight... but i'm not.

Bottom Line:
came with khs purchased from pawn shop years ago. have beat the sh#$ out of bike and fork past 6-7 years, with no problems other than rebuild last year due to general aging/leaks (able to find one of the last overhaul kits in town). retiring the khs this summer and will be purchasing surly 1x1... it comes with a manitou but i'm gonna swap that out for the mag. thing is bomb-proof.

Favorite Trail:   liquer store

Purchased At:   pawn shop

Similar Products Used:   various rockshox and manitous

Bike Setup:   a couple of wheels, some gears and shifters, and various other components. 24 punds total.

Submitted by Tim Hanson a Weekend Warrior from Los Gatos,Calif, USA

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2004

Strengths:    unbreakable, bullit-proof

Weaknesses:    Haven't been ascertained yet. Could someone send me manual on rebuilding this thing and include specs on oil changes?

Bottom Line:
'94 Stumpjumper came with "Future Shock" which I still have. Never been rebuilt and has been on well over 2000 miles single track. I never rode extreme, but have ridden Soquel Demo Forest for years and have many scares to prove it. Bought "96 and it came with Manitou(sh*t)which was worn out after six months of use. Found one of the last Mag 21 available over the counter and replaced Manitou. Bike got stolen and broke my heart, that bike and I were perfect fit. Bought a new bike in "00 and bike shop had old Mag 21 behind the counter. Traded shock on bike for Mag 21 and upgrade on shifters. Dealer thouht he got the best deal. I got Mag 21 and XTR shifter! He got sh*t shock and LX shifters. Just goes to show that you can't reinvent the wheel(or front shock).

Similar Products Used:   Judy(garbage), Manitou(trash)

Bike Setup:   "00 Stumpjumper, 96 Stumpjumper, 94 Stumpjumper

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2004

Strengths:    Ti upper Legs =D~

Nice finishing.

Fully adjustable

Featherlite

Weaknesses:    1.9" travel

Flex.

Bottom Line:
1st got it back in 98 and been with my hardtail ever since. It loses air slowly but gracefully just like the way it's aging. Rebuild isn't quite possible and economical given its age and it's threaded steerer tube which I've ruined during the last headset regreasing. But it's still ridable if the threads don't die/or i can find a new crown.

The fork that commands respect from the grown ups and arouse intrigue in the youngster. If only rock shox make forks with such quality now.

Similar Products Used:   Judy XC

RST

Bike Setup:   Highly re-spec GT LTS2

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2004

Strengths:    It's lasted 7 years!

Weaknesses:    It looks like it's not going to last 8 years. :)

Bottom Line:
My first suspension fork, and it has lasted me seven years (admittedly i've been travelling for a couple of those, where it's remained in storage). Used it for XC, with some racing, loads of recreational technical blasts, but not downhill (ok a bit). Love it, and I am really reluctant to join the label conscious masses and get a duke/sid/race/sl/lockout/uturn/superwhatsit.

RIP Mag21 my friend, you will be remembered.

Similar Products Used:   None, until now I've had no desire to upgrade. Tried a few friends bikes over the years - none compared.

Unfortunately I think I have finally blown it up, and a replacement is needed.

Bike Setup:   Cromo Hardtail, Shimano LX throughout. Due for a few upgrades as it's showing it's age - or do I just buy a new bike.....hmmmm.

Submitted by Gary a Cross Country Rider from Connecticut

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2003

Strengths:    Adjustability, dependability

Bottom Line:
A truly great fork, valve seals finally blew out this summer after over eight years of fairly aggresive riding. I have never had the oil changed! Will rebuild it even though I now ride a Rocky Mountain Carve.

Bike Setup:   Came on my "94" Stumpjumper

Submitted by Pedro a Cross Country Rider from Iowa

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2003

Strengths:    Great all around fork for most types of riding. Cool Rock Shox decal on each fork leg.

Weaknesses:    Mine came painted white. That sucks.

Bottom Line:
This is one of the best suspension forks of all time. One of the original old school, bulletproof, no frills, get the job done, just ride it and don't whine about stupid crap you fancy pants wuss, mountain bike parts. Literally, it is a legend. It works great for all around riding and it came from the good 'ol days when mountain bikers weren't stuck up pricks. What really makes me mad is that when you ask a bike shop if it's possible to still get rebuild kits for it (which I know is a stupid question), they laugh at you and act like you're stupid for still riding your bike that was high quality then, but apparently is a worthless piece of crap now simply because you haven't spent $4000 on a new one every couple years in their store. Mountain biking is about FUN and PERSONAL FREEDOM and ENJOYING NATURE. It is NOT (and never has been),about putting people down for not having the latest, fanciest, and shiniest bike part that does everything but enhance your riding experience. Mountain biking was the alternative and FRIENDLY sport - remember? Ok, I'm done.

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi, Future shock, Head Shock, Schwinn Orange Krate, Schwinn Black Phantom, Columbia 5-Star

Bike Setup:   Carbon fiber frame, full XTR, cool titanium stuff so I can ride with the uppity crowd, old school blue anodized goodies from Ringle (remember those?) I'm cool. Buy some - you can be too.

Submitted by clive from melbourne

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2003

Strengths:    Lightweight, durable with minimal maintenance, got them with second hand hardtail race bike in 1998. Have re-worked the pressure valves with a couple of re-worked Schraeder valves epoxied into the old crowns after caeful drilling and sizing. Works absolutely great now ! just two pumps from my short blackburn and it set for life. Replaced oils with new 5wt and general cleanup.

Weaknesses:    A bit flexy, quite stiff travel, but at least I dont bounce like a clown ason my bro's judy's

Bottom Line:
Obviously lower travel than newer offerings, however an elegantly engineered fork with visible value on opening. On a HardTail they do the job fine.

Similar Products Used:   Judy, Manitou

Bike Setup:   wheeler frame hardtail, duro XT

Submitted by Bastian Kießling a Weekend Warrior from Freiberg, Sachsen, Germany

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2003

Strengths:    Versatility, Easyness in Maintaining and Adjusting the Fork

Weaknesses:    None I know of.

Bottom Line:
One of the best Forks I have ridden so far. The bike is now about 10 Years old although I wanted an GT LTS with an Judy DH, my dad got me to buy an Zaskar with a Mag 21. It was a good idea afterwards. Until 2 Years ago he used an 21SL in his Mantis Pro Floater... Don't know if you can remember this Type of Bikes. Custom Made by an ex-Klein Frame-Welder. Under 12 Kilos for an XC-Fullsuspension and this was also 11 Years ago. Both bikes run seriously well. My Dad skipped his 2 Years ago for an Rotwild RFR 01 with the Psylo. This is also a realy nice Fork, you get to know the difference of 10 Years of Fork development. Last week, i got really scared, the fork was low on pressure. I have no tools i.e. air-pumps here, so I went to a local Dealer who in fact had an Original Rockshox-Pump. The Crappy Thing was defect, it released almost all the air. At first we thought the Seals were gone for good. Nobody around here has the tools to properly repair it. I got the number of the nearest RockShox Center from another local Dealer. The Staff at the Center was quite unfriendly, did not want to talk about the problem either i send in my fork or get lost. So I went to a third dealer who luckily had a new multifunctional -fork pump from sks now everything is working fine. Although I should give my little one a little time in one of these RS centers so it won't stop working. If it ever does it would replace it with a psylo sl or duke xc - uturn ;)

Purchased At:   Small Shop