RockShox Judy XC 99 Front Shock

3.99/5 (89 Reviews)

Rock Shox 99 Judy XC

Submitted by Nik Graham a Weekend Warrior from Scotland

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2006

Strengths:    Really plush ride for the price and absorbs the small stuff well. Durability (I bought them when they first came out and I'm still using them after 3000+ K). Serviceability

Weaknesses:    They look dated!
You'll now struggle to buy replacement bits for them.

Bottom Line:
These were my first set of bouncy forks and they've taken a pounding for 7 years (I commuted 20 miles a day for 1 1/2 years on 'em too, and I'm 14/15 stone) and are only now showing significant wear with only two significant services, and they still hold thier own on lumpy bumpy stuff.
You might be okay if you need new/different springs as I got some non Rock Shox replacement ones only a year or so ago.
Pretty nice for weekend warriors who want to upgrade from the yukky elastomer forks that came with thier not-too-bad £300ish hardtail.

Favorite Trail:   The Red Route @ Glentress

Purchased At:   Merlin Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Revelation 426 Air U-Turn.

Bike Setup:   Old Tange Prestige hardtail with a lot of late 90's LX and x-lite stuff, and a hope mini on the front (oh yeah, and a set of '99 Judys)

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from CO to CA!

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2004

Strengths:    cheap

Weaknesses:    EVERYTHING! this shock sucks ass. poor rebounding, cheap innards, horrible design. i could got on, but i will stop

Bottom Line:
This shock is not worth a dime, i dont know why so many people are saying its a good shock. i am on my 3rd rebuild and its toast again. The springs are flimsy and they move around inside scoring the walls. bushings last half a ride season. mine is seriously going to injure me.
id recommend puchasing a nicer shock because this shock is NOT for anyone wanting any type of long lasting maintenance free performing shock.

Purchased At:   Lees Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi Bomber, Manitou

Bike Setup:   GT avalanche 1.0, avid disk...

Submitted by Gary a Cross Country Rider from Pennsylvania

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2001

Strengths:    none really, does everything ok.

Weaknesses:    Rebound adjustment and durability, TOTAL LACK OF PRODUCT SUPPORT - C3 cartridges stink and they don't make them anymore

Bottom Line:
I bought a long travel Judy XC in Oct 99. Worked great for alomst 18 months. I upgraded from an Indy XC and really enjoyed the extra travel and rebound damping. Only problem was tuning, the rebound damping knob has no imapct on the performance. This spring I blew the C3 cartridge, just 6 months out of warranty. Guess what. NO %$*()@$ replacement parts! For $73 they will upgrade you to the current 4 1/2 lb "pig" they call the 2001 Judy XC. Only, they arent't available with 1 inch steer tubes, so screw the consumer. I bought an after market cartdidge so I can ride and guess what, it voids any remaining warranty! Do your self a favor and buy a fork from a company that stands behind their product. Marzocchi's are indestructible and Manitou are light and effective. Don't waste your money on RockShox forks.

Similar Products Used:   Indy XC, Marzochi Atom Bomb

Bike Setup:   Bontrager steel hardtail, XT/LX mix, Stylo Isis Crankset

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Provo, Utah, USA

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2001

Strengths:    Lightweight, good value, tough, and plenty of travel.

Weaknesses:    None that I can think of.

Bottom Line:
These are the nicest shocks a person could ask for. The combination of these shocks being lightweight, very plush, very customizable, and the tough construction make these the perfect shocks for my needs. I would recommend these shocks to anyone who wants a quality ride with low maintenance. I have not used too many other forks, but I think the Judy XC's are one of the best.

Submitted by jacob a Cross Country Rider from canada

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2001

Strengths:    nice shocks,great for cross counrty riding

Weaknesses:    they r a little to soft

Bottom Line:
nice shocks

Favorite Trail:   none

Purchased At:   a dumb guy

Similar Products Used:   bombers

Bike Setup:   xtr derailer front and back,avid 20 v-brakes,stump jumper 99

Submitted by Jordan a Cross Country Rider from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2001

Strengths:    Stiffness
Travel
Adjustability
Ability to take whatever you can give

Weaknesses:    Makes sounds after about a week of riding
Needs new springs if you're over 135lbs.

Bottom Line:
All I was looking for was a good fork at a reasonable price to replace my old junk rst`s. What I found was more than I expected. I mean, these shocks take anything you dish out, just make sure you put a heavier set of springs inside, because they tend to feel a bit bumpy with the originals. Although they're 2 years old, they feel like they just came off the shipping truck... Yes they're that plush and long lasting. They are by far the best shock that I personally have ever ridden. They make you want to hop on you're bike and start riding, even though I already do...
They're also alot more stable and higher in quality than the new Judy XC`s and give you way less problems and take lesscare than the newer ones. 5/5

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   Used, but mint cond.

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Sid XC,2001 Judy XC`s, Jett XC,Judy XL, Rst 281 (do not buy), Duotracks (DO NOT buy)

Bike Setup:   Norco Cypress, shimano xt/xl comps, logic headset/stem, Judy XC`s

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from SF, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2001

Strengths:    Perfect for anti maintenance folks / medium range xc riders

Weaknesses:    Lack of good valving on rebound control. Valving on just one side does not constitute fast control... DUH! Does not cope too well being bottomed out really hard. [of course that's not exactly what it's designed for either...]

Bottom Line:
I have beat the living hell out of this fork - pretty much ignored maintenance - and ridden it outside it's design scope. I'm a heavier rider at 6'1 / 195 lbs... I've intentionally done too many front wheeles on it - expecting to torque the front forks and yet... to my suprise it continues to defy me. [And trust me when I say I thoroughly enjoy destroying products - It's a sick fascination but to my dismay a lot of product out there is total crap. I love just handing back the product to a rep after a few hours... in a baggie.]

ok in honesty I did a 4 ' drop and I did smash out the bracket - but hey.. if that's what it took then this fork gets 5 chilis... if you find on - get it. A good product for it's design range.

Favorite Trail:   still looking...

Purchased At:   came with frame...

Similar Products Used:   lots.

Bike Setup:   Specialised FSR Comp. RaceFace, Rhynolite XL & Chris King hubs. XT casette, bashring etc etc..

Submitted by Dan a Cross Country Rider from NY

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2001

Strengths:    Plush, never bottoms out, hydracoil, long travel kit

Weaknesses:    it could be stiffer

Bottom Line:
I really like this fork and think it is awesome. Mine has an aluminum steeror tube and 2-bolt aluminum crown so it has a reasonable weight. It has worked great for me. I cant wait to race with it. No problems yet.

Favorite Trail:   Tryon

Similar Products Used:   jetts

Submitted by Sam a Racer from stockbridge,ga 30281

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2001

Strengths:    You can really beat these shocks to death. I have had them for three years and I can't break them.

Weaknesses:    On some trails they prove to be a little to stiff.

Bottom Line:
Overall this is an outstanding product. Extremely durable and very reliable. They are also backed by a name like Rock Shox. For the money you really can't beat these shocks. I like them and would definatley recommend these to anyone who is interested in XC racing. Looking forward to trying the Sid's and pyslo's.

Similar Products Used:   Marzzochi X-Flys

Bike Setup:   Trek SLR frame, rock shock Judy's, Shimano XTR front and rear deraillers, Icon Graphite cranks, Bontrager corvairs, and Bontrager Jones AC tires, with Avid Ti v-brakes.

Submitted by Brendan a Downhiller from South Africa

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2001

Strengths:    Doesn't bottom out easily, absorbs a lot of the big stuff and the small stuff. Steel steerer tube. Very durable.

Weaknesses:    Too heavy, should have at least another half inch of travel, ugly colour, the adjustment on top doesn't do much at all.

Bottom Line:
Overall a good fork. But I am soon going to ugrade to Marzocchi Bomber JR.T 2001,

Favorite Trail:   Eden

Purchased At:   Small bike store

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi Bomber Z1, RockShox SID XC, Manitou Mars.

Bike Setup:   Trek VRX300 99', MHD chain giude instead of front derhailleur. MAXXIS 2.7" front tire and 2.5" at the back

Submitted by Dinorider a Weekend Warrior from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2001

Strengths:    Very plush ride. Absorbs the small as well as the big stuff.
Difficult to bottom. Relatively easy to maintain. Handled all the rough stuff during all the races I entered.

Weaknesses:    After 2 years of use the left top cap lost the knob then later blew out the center plug (replacements=$50). The seals didn't really keep all the dirt out, I service annually and the stanchions have wear marks on them. I did use gators. Initially I could bottom the forks too easily (I weigh 165lbs), so I switched the 5wt to 8wt Rockshox racing oil, it maintained the plush ride with a good ramp up in stiffness. I have recently put in 15wt Finish Line but it is
not as plush, I can't get the 8wt anymore or so I'm told.

Bottom Line:
Good plush fork, takes the big/small hits, hard to bottom, needs better seals, top caps are crap,use 8wt oil if you can get it. Too heavy for serious xc racing but a great allround fork.

Favorite Trail:   Birch Ski area

Purchased At:   Woodcock Cycleworks

Bike Setup:   Was on Specialized FSR-Comp, now on RockHopper Pro.

Submitted by dave a Weekend Warrior from canada

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2000

Strengths:    black color
plush oil travel

Weaknesses:    weight

Bottom Line:
this fork is great for xc if you like the smooth ride. this fork would be better if it were lighter but the only light forks are air and i dont like them as much as oil, if you like performance get these, if u are concerned in the weight then dont

Submitted by bernie a Downhiller from england

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2000

Strengths:    they were nice and plush but not much adjustability

Weaknesses:    i know they're not really designed for jumping, but i managed to bend the steerer tube on them which made me think that they weren't very strong. they also seemed to wear out quite quickly, the bushes needed replacing after about 9 or 10 months

Bottom Line:
good for cross country but i wouldn't recommend them for jumping, but they are marketed as an XC fork