RockShox Judy XC 96 Front Shock

3.58/5 (183 Reviews)

Rock Shox Judy XC

Submitted by hamish mCclatchy a Weekend Warrior from CHRISTCHURCH, nz

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2003

Strengths:    Cheap at second hand price AND THEVE HELPED ME ON MANY A CURB
80mm travel is pretty sweet (feels like 4 inchs)

Weaknesses:    abit sticky but you can pour in the oil
Especially bad in the wet
recently they have had internal 'injuries' but on the upside i can extend them out to look like boxxers (my v cable is the only thing holding them together)
i use all 80mm and bottem them out frequently, though removing the oil cartridge may have assisted with this.
they good at sharing around the oil too.

Bottom Line:
good for commuting but there quality has finally deteriorated after 7 years of use
abit sticky and unresponsive
2 peice upgrade is well worth the wait.

Favorite Trail:   vic park

Purchased At:   on a bike for $150

Similar Products Used:   Rst, DJ3, psilo xc

Bike Setup:   Extereme Climb max ht super bike

Submitted by jim from cedar rapids, iowa usa

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
HELP!!!

I have never had a problem with the 96 Rock Shox Judy XC until now, took the fork apart for service and the elastomers in the left side were blown-shreaded. I am looking for a service manual, tried Rock Shox, still have not sent it to me. Should I upgrade to the type II speed springs? What can I do to save this fork? Until I get the service manual, I don't know what to do.

If anyone has the service manual or ideas, could you email it to me?

throbber6748@yahoo.com

Thanks

Submitted by Bunzing Knijff a Weekend Warrior from barcelona sunny spain

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2003

Strengths:    these judys performed well for me. first 3 years made awesome trips with them. smiling downhill. now, after 7 years, the elastomers start to fall apart, only now,
for me they are good value for my bucks.

Weaknesses:    little travel, but personally did not need more

Bottom Line:
things are way cheaper, nowadays you can buy similar quality for half the price. stick to it, and do not let yourself be outsmarted by industry and buy 500$ shox. (admit that they look awesome)

for the average biker, this quality level is

Favorite Trail:   monasterio el puig

Purchased At:   Berkeley Bay...

Bike Setup:   carbon frame, xt parts, mavic3d rims, panaracers

Submitted by John Carpenter a Cross Country Rider from Fort Collins, CO

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2002

Strengths:    It looked cool. It had Rock Shox name on it. It came on a pretty high end bike.

Weaknesses:    IT SUCKS! I'm writing this as my last complaint about this shock. I swore I would never buy another Rock Shox, but I'm giving them another chance based on some friends assurance that RS has their poop together now.

3 months after I bought a top of the line GT the shock popped and dumped oil. I could not get a replacement because they were in such high demand. I replaced the foam crap with speed springs and replaced the plastic tampon applicator with a White Bros. It worked great for 5 years that way. Oh by the way the rear RS shock that came on the LTS1 was junk also. Cane Creek makes a very nice replacement. Thanks for letting me rant. This is your last chance RS!! I'm still pissed.

Bottom Line:
Hopefully RS has improved their quality and customer support in the past few years. Be warned.

Favorite Trail:   Lory

Purchased At:   It came on my GT LTS1

Bike Setup:   96 GT LTS1 XT

Submitted by Howie a Cross Country Rider from Scottsdale, AZ

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2002

Strengths:    Low maintenance, a great company like rock shox to back up the product, large # of aftermarket upgrades

Bottom Line:
I've read all the whining complaints about the cartridge blowing up. Fact is I just took my fork apart for the first time, I expected to find that there was either no oil or just a big mess of little parts. Not only was the cartridge in perfect condition and filled with oil, I didn't have to replace any on the seals. This fork has well over 5000 miles of singletrack on it, I don't care what anyone has to say this thing is bombproof. Untill yesterday I always wished I still had my Mag 21, well that has definitely passed and now I'm not giving up my Judy.

Favorite Trail:   Estrella race loops

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Mag 21, Manitou 3

Bike Setup:   Kona Kula, all XT with magura hydraulic rim brakes(these rock)

Submitted by Connor a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2002

Strengths:    Maintenance-easy to disassemble with simple tools, lube up with liberal Slick Honey and reassemble. This takes about 20 minutes at best.
Aftermarket tuning parts-see below.
I have used it daily for commuting and for CC mountain biking in the Rockies, Moab, Fruita, etc for several years and it has never stranded me or failed.

Weaknesses:    Of course, the cartridge. Mine came with the 63 mm alloy cartridge which finally blew up last summer during a jump while commuting, replaced with Risse Gem cartridge which feels more plush than the stocker. Probably due to the Risse having mainly rebound dampening rather than compression dampening like to RS part.
MCUs slowly deflated and were replaced with White Bros. Judd springs after 2 years. This is very recommended as a replacement for the MCUs. Cambria has the springs for $19.00-I run a soft (green) spring in the left leg and a silver medium in the right leg which seems perfect for my 145# weight.

Bottom Line:
I like this fork a lot. It has been everywhere and done everything I have asked it to do, and is a real workhorse. Limited travel and weight date this fork, but it sure is nice once the appropriate mods are made. I never worry about being stranded with a blown air shock, and even if you lose the oil cartridge it is still rideable home. Zip tie the top of the fork boots to seal out water and snow, and contamination is not an issue. As Rock Shox no longer supports this old fork with parts, you pretty much have to go aftermarket anyway and this is not necessarily a bad thing. I have decided to not go with an air once Judy finally expires but will stick with coil/oil due to the quality of the ride and reliability, despite the weight. I hope to get another 3000 miles out of her before then. Compared to modern forks, will rate a 4/5 for both value (needing aftermarket parts to improve) and overall.

Similar Products Used:   1st suspension fork

Bike Setup:   Trek 970 cro-mo

Submitted by Simon a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2001

Strengths:    Had these forks for 6 years on a Kona Koa hardtail.
Good smooth travel. Great seals and rubber boots. Not a heap of travel, but quality over quantity !

Weaknesses:    Now that I have gone to V-brakes the centre-pull mount is still there. Do people still remember centre-pull :)
It does make a good mount point for a light though !

After 6 years of changing tyres 2 or 3 times a week, the wheel skewer nut has gouged a small groove in the dropout. 2mm deep in the 11mm alloy flange. Probably a cheap skewer :)

Bottom Line:
The cheap plastic oil damper blew a few months into it's life. The local Bike Shop did the right thing and got an alloy cartridge under warranty (RockShox knew the problem and rectified it - no questions asked).
I did fit the 97 or 98 spring kit (half elastomer/half spring) which picked up small bump behaviour.
I used to run the preload really high to get the biggest hit protection, but know the preload is way down (1 turn from softest) and the travel is still smooth.
They are due for a service soon (only 2nd time). The bushings might need replacing (or it could be slop in the brakes), but I use Judy butter and 6 years is pretty good from my view.
40,000+kms and going strong !!!
The only thing I'd swap them for right now is a pair of Z3 bombers, but they are still pricey here in Oz :)

5 chilis all round. Yes, I have changed the springs and got the new cartridge, but not a penny spent in 5 years apart from one tiny tub of Judy Butter and some oil.

Favorite Trail:   Dandenongs, Lysterfield, Gembrook

Purchased At:   Freedom Machine

Similar Products Used:   Have tried newer (obviously lesser and cheaper) Jetts.

Bike Setup:   97 Kona Koa STX-RC/LX/Deore.
Raced and trained for 3 years, still socially abused at least twice a week. More than 40,00km on the bike !!
Replaced most parts except the STX-RC rear deraileur (the RC stuff was way better than stock STX).
The forks are still going strong !!

Submitted by James a Cross Country Rider from Waco, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2001

Strengths:    strong, durable, very bombproof

Weaknesses:    cold weather sticktion, pulling the oil cartridge

Bottom Line:
This shock was the best back in '96. There are more plush, longer travel, lighter shocks out there, but this thing has been to the Rockies, San Georges and all places in between. Never had a problem. I used to race, now do big rides, bomb dowmhill (for an ex-XC'er), and it's still going. If you are a rider looking to spend a little money adn get a great return, go no farther. I only plan on replacing it when it can no longer do the same job it did when new...which is not foreseeable at the moment.

Favorite Trail:   Tomichi Pass

Purchased At:   Came w/ the bike

Similar Products Used:   Quad 5, Sid '98

Bike Setup:   Y-22 w/ Full XTR and Cane Creek AD-10 rear shock

Submitted by jacob a Racer from canada

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2001

Strengths:    awesome shock for crosscountry riding,tough reliable,good product

Weaknesses:    not good for drops over 5 feet

Bottom Line:
these r a good product for cross country riding.i got a great deal on the bike i bought it second in mint condition for about $250. nothing wrong with the bike but there was a reason it was so cheap but i'm not gonna get into that.

Favorite Trail:   wentworth

Purchased At:   some guy

Similar Products Used:   bomber's z.5 fly airs

Bike Setup:   xtr rapid rise rear derialure,xt front derailure,avid 20.v brakes,specialized stump jumper comp.,deore xt's shifters

Submitted by duane beery a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2001

Strengths:    Plush, soaks up the little washboard and handles most cross country type of trails, ie roots, rocks, highspeeds.

Weaknesses:    The original cartridge failed within the first year but was replaced with a newer version and haven't had any problems since. It has no rebound adjust.

Bottom Line:
No whining. Some people don't remember what was offered in 1996. I tested every fork out there and the Judy was the SH*T back then. Of course it doesn't compare to anything today but for it's day it was an awesome X-country fork. I've abused mine for 5 years and it still works the way it did when I bought it. If you screwed something up then you weren't using the proper tools or following MFG. instructions. This is not the fork's fault. I am still using the original seals! By today's standards it's heavy has little travel and no rebound adjust. That's just '96 technology. I am finally making the transition into the 21 century and buying a SID 100 but I have nothing bad to say about my 1996 Judy.

Favorite Trail:   Devil's Gulch

Purchased At:   Came on GF Paragon

Bike Setup:   '96 Gary fisher paragon hardtail

Submitted by duane beery a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2001

Weaknesses:    The original cartridge failed within the first year but was replaced with a newer version and haven't had any prblems since. It has no rebound adjust.

Bottom Line:
No whining. Some people don't remember what was offered in 1996. I tested every fork out there and the Judy was the SH*T back then. Of course it doesn't compare to anything today but for it's day it was an awesome X-country fork. I've abused mine for 5 years and it still works the way it did when I bought it. By today's standards it's heavy has little travel and no rebound adjust. I am finally making the transition into the 21 century and buying a SID 100 but I have nothing bad to say about my 1996 Judy.

Favorite Trail:   Devil's Gulch

Purchased At:   Came on GF Paragon

Bike Setup:   '96 Gary fisher paragon hardtail

Submitted by Don a Weekend Warrior from Mich

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2001

Strengths:    Reliable,nice color,not too heavy

Weaknesses:    Just old

Bottom Line:
Had it for four and a half years. Never even opened the Judy butter I bought with it. Still works great, my son now uses it on his hardtail racer,it has the right amount of travel for that. Maybe I just got lucky with this fork but it has been worth every penny.

Favorite Trail:   Birchfield

Purchased At:   Cant remember

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi,Manitous,Headshocks

Bike Setup:   Its been on 3 bikes

Submitted by Dan Go a Cross Country Rider from Edmonton, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2001

Strengths:    Was great for 2 months and then it's guts exploded.

Weaknesses:    The XC is brutal in so many ways that it's hard to know where to start. I bought the thing because the oil cartridge idea was really big back then. When I took the fork apart for maintanence I couldn't believe what a cheesy piece of *%*&^% it was. The dinky little cartridge Rock Shox put in was clearly not going to last. And it didn't! I recieved two warranty replacement cartridges in one year. Then I was on my own. I had to either pay $150.00 a pop or ride it on the elastimer...... What is elastimer anyway? It seem like a fancy word for dense foam.
Rock Shox should hang their heads in shame or recall this bogus product and do the honorable thing; replace it. The $500.00 MSRP was nothing less than robbery. Never again Rock Shox, you suck!!

Bottom Line:
A total money pit. The worst in history!!

Favorite Trail:   Whitemud River Valley

Purchased At:   Wheel Thing

Similar Products Used:   None others even compare to this lump.

Submitted by Howie Keylin a Racer from Scottsdale, AZ

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2001

Strengths:    Damn near bulletproof

Weaknesses:    Heavy, and slow rebound

Bottom Line:
I bought my Kona Kula and these things came on it. Just about since the first day I rode the bike I missed my Mag 21's. Those things were awesome. Now I am about five years down the line and I stuck it out with the Judy's. I have to say they didn't do anything great, but they held up in some real harsh conditions. I would probably rather have pair of new SID's(they'd be more like the Mag 21's of old) but I'm not about to fork over that kind of cash when there ain't nuttin' wrong with these. I just sprung for the White Bros' Judd Springs, hopefully that will breathe some new life into these warriors. I expect they will and I'll probably be riding this same fork for years to come. Anything that lasts this long is an awesome value in my book. 5 flaming micheal jacksons

Favorite Trail:   Mcdowell/Sonoran Preserve