RockShox Judy T2 98 Front Shock

3.42/5 (116 Reviews)

Rock Shox Judy T2 98

Submitted by cliff eisler a Cross Country Rider from regina saskatchewan canada

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2007

Strengths:    Simplicity, longevity, ease of maintainence

Weaknesses:    bobs around

Bottom Line:
Well, time has passed the old T2 by, I'm sure. However, with once a year maintainence (Manitou Prep M grease), this fork has lasted for over a DECADE. With no oil or air to leak, it just keeps on keeping on. A good fork for taking on a long trek or if you don't have access to a shop to fix the seals on the latest "wonder" fork. A true explorers fork, it will always get you home. Still doesn't look too dated or lame, like an old Indy or Mag 21 would by now.

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   manitou "six" marzocchi exr, mx.

Bike Setup:   Old "Steel is real" Norco Nitro

Submitted by Dave Tschan a Cross Country Rider from Missoula

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2006

Strengths:    Not too bad for light trail riding, haven't bottomed out yet.

Weaknesses:    Real bouncy, can't tighten it and can't get any real speed because it is to bouncy

Bottom Line:
I haven't had any real problems with it yet but it is pretty bouncy. Kinda tough going up hill but overall I guess you could say I like it so far. I read about 30 reviews and most of you think it sucks but that's only your opinion. Maybe I'll have a different one in a couple of months.

Favorite Trail:   Sawmill Gulch

Purchased At:   Friend gave it to me

Similar Products Used:   Manitou

Bike Setup:   1998 Kona Muni Mula stock

Submitted by Grant a Weekend Warrior from Victoria, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2002

Strengths:    Low maintenance and longer travel than the Indy that it upgrades from

Weaknesses:    Bouncy
Bottoms out easily
Failure of the brace

Bottom Line:
This fork does not do all the things you want in a fork, but the things it does, it does well enough to be acceptable. Yes it is bouncy, but you can adjust to that as well as the bottoming out. I am 165 and did not find it too flexy, but certainly not as stiff as I wanted. Nonetheless, it was predictable which meant it was rideable. Too bad the brace snapped in two because the internals were still functioning. I played the upgrade thing a long time ago and learned to buy a bike at the right level rather than blow your wad upgrading. So, I rode this fork on my bike for 4 years. It did what it was supposed to and my next bike will have a higher level fork on it. So, lesson is... buy a bike that has a fork that you will be happy with and live with it.

Favorite Trail:   Assassin - Mt. Zhouhalem

Purchased At:   Came with 98 FSR Comp

Similar Products Used:   RS21

Bike Setup:   Stock FSR Comp

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2002

Strengths:    Worked well for cruising along the trail, low wt.

Weaknesses:    very bouncy for slow technical riding with big hits.. Caution if getting one used now...Rockshox and there major suppliers are completely out of replacement parts for this shock.......Just traded up to a duke xc, haven't used it yet

Bottom Line:
if you buy it now and it needs parts you'll either have to call local shops forever to find the part,, or you won't find it at all...like me:)

Favorite Trail:   Lynn Woods

Purchased At:   standard on 98 Ponderosa

Bike Setup:   98 ponderosa,, w/ lx/xt components, thudbuster seat post/ time mtb pedals

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2002

Strengths:    Worked well for cruising along the trail, low wt.

Favorite Trail:   Lynn Woods

Purchased At:   standard on 98 Ponderosa

Submitted by Shawn a Cross Country Rider from kingston,ny,usa

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2001

Strengths:    It has not failed completlely, yet.

Weaknesses:    Super flexy and the bushings wore out in a year. The major problem is that no bike shop wants to replace the bushings. They seem to be sending me a message about this fork.

Bottom Line:
This fork worked well for about a month. I followed the manual on greasing the bushings and they still wore out which leaves me with this sloppy fork. I fell like I got ripped off by Rock Shox. Stay far away from this fork.

Favorite Trail:   straightshot

Bike Setup:   98' Specialized Stumpjumper m2.

Submitted by Max a Cross Country Rider from Concord MA

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2001

Strengths:    Cheap, decent travel, reasonably plush

Weaknesses:    Very flexy with crappy steering precision. No dampening. Bouncy

Bottom Line:
It does a great job on the smaller hits, but it has too little dampening and bottoms out too easily for anything big. The rebound is too fast. The biggest problem is the flex. It looks pretty big and strong but in reality it tracks very poorly. This is a good shock for a begginer but seriouse riders should definetly look elsewhere

Bike Setup:   98 trek 8000

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Londonderry, NH

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2001

Strengths:    Well...came standard on my 98 FSR Comp...worked fine by me!

Weaknesses:    OK...here's my concern! The shock broke at the brake boss (at the point where the "U" connects!) on my ride the other day! Wow, good thing I wasn't going crazy when it broke! Has nybody else had this problem? Will RS do anything about it? BTW..I weigh in a 165 lbs!

Bottom Line:
Satisfied until it broke...now I'm concerned about RS product!

Purchased At:   Goodales Bikes

Similar Products Used:   None...but I need a new one now!

Bike Setup:   FSR Comp, Race Face Low Risers, Sun Rhino Lyte rims, WTB saddle.

Submitted by Smudger a Weekend Warrior from London UK

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2001

Strengths:    Rock Shox build quality

Weaknesses:    No rebound damping.. too flexy

Bottom Line:
I know that these were considered to be at the 'budget' end of the market, but Rock Shox should not have even considered releasing a long travel for with no rebound damping at all..

They cause the front of the bike to bounce around so much, they could be considered as dangerous.. Far from smoothing out the trail, and making you ride faster, they throw you around like no forks should....

Favorite Trail:   All of them!

Purchased At:   Local store

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi Z2, SID 100

Bike Setup:   Specialised FSR Comp

Submitted by Pat H a Downhiller from Renton, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2001

Strengths:    hmmm.....

Weaknesses:    wears out in a week, flexy as all hell, bushings get SUPER loose, bottoms off of 2 footers, stanchions scratch way easy......DANGEROUS

Bottom Line:
This is fork is dangerous, it cost me the skin on my face, hands, back, and arms after hitting a tree on a DH-style trail. my biggest drop is only like 8 feet, and Im only 14, so Im not punishing it too bad, and this fork is dead. it bottoms off of 2 footers, is SUPER flexy, the bushings are loose, it tops out from just the bike sitting there, this fork REALLY sucks. I am getting a Z1 or Jr.T soon....to replace this POS.

Favorite Trail:   Stay on Target

Purchased At:   Bothell Ski & Bike

Similar Products Used:   Z.1s, Jr. Ts, other Marzocchis, Psylo XC, others....

Bike Setup:   FSR ground control, mammoth rims, avid brakes, ZuZus, forearm cranks, blackspire ring god

Submitted by GREG a Cross Country Rider from KNOXVILLE,TN. USA

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2001

Strengths:    THE INSIDES.SOME MANITOUS AND SOME QUAD 21,S I HAD, BY NOW HAD SPEWED THERE ELASTOMERS AND BUSTED.THESE IN 2 YEARS, SERVICED ONCE AND THAT WAS FOR A UPGRADE CARTRIDGE.

Weaknesses:    WELL...........?I AM SATISFIED.THEY CAME WITH THE BIKE AND ARE THE PLUSHEST SHOCK I HAVE RIDDEN.I DON'T GUESS I WOULD KNOW ANY DIFFERENCE.GOOD,BECAUSE THIS IS GETTING EXPENSIVE AND I DO NOT HAVE CASH FLOWING LIKE THAT FOR THE LATEST AND GREATEST.

Bottom Line:
THESE FORKS WORK FINE FOR ME AND MY WALLET.I AM 210 LBS.,RIDE CROSSCOUNTRY,ON A WIDE VARIETY OF TERRAIN.BUT I WAS STILL LOOKING FOR SOMETHING OUT OF MY FORK THAT IT WAS NOT DELIVERING.SO I HAD A ROCK SHOX CARTRIDGE INSTALLED IN THE RIGHT LEG.IF YOU HAVE NOT DONE THIS DO IT BEFORE FORKING OUT YOUR $$$$ FOR THE LATEST AND GREATEST ON THE MARKET.MAN IT MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE AND IS EXTERNELY ADJUSTABLE.CARTRIDGE $100.00 AND TO ME WORTH IT.GO RIDE!WOULD GIVE IT 5 CHILIS ON VALUE RATING BUT CUT CORNERS LEAVING OUT THE CARTRIDGE I HAD TO SPLURGE ON.

Favorite Trail:   HAW RIDGE

Purchased At:   CEDARBLUFFCYCLES.COM

Similar Products Used:   MANITOU"SPORT" AND ROCK SHOX "QUAD 21"

Bike Setup:   FULL SUSPENSION MONGOOSE 8.5 PRO,MAVIC CROSSRIDE WHEELS,PROFILE CARBON FIBER RISER BARS,24 SPD XT. AND A COMFORTABLE SEAT WITH FLAMES!

Submitted by Cajun Man a Cross Country Rider from Ohio

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2001

Strengths:    Comes with front disc brake mount! Adjustable settings. Supports my weight just fine -haven't bottomed out yet.

Weaknesses:    I'm not really sure if changing the adjustments is really doing anything.

Bottom Line:
I have read other reviews about this product and that it's set-up is bad with springs and dampeners. I only weigh 150 pounds and I haven't been able to bottom out the forks yet. You would have to totally crazy to pay the MSRP for these. $150 would be the tops these forks.
I give 5 hot-dogs for the value because I got them basically for free! And so far I would give them 5 hot-dogs for overall rating since I haven't had any problems.

Favorite Trail:   Vulture's Knob

Similar Products Used:   Some cheap RST junk

Bike Setup:   Mongoose Fully

Submitted by drew platt a Cross Country Rider from cold spring, ny

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2000

Strengths:    cheap initial cost, good performance for trail riding, good stiffness and control, ability to be upgraded easily

Weaknesses:    lack of damping makes fork bounce, somewhat heavy

Bottom Line:
I tried to read the 103 or so other reviews before I wrote this, so I wouldn't repeat what's already been said. Basically, I can't understand why so many people think this is a bad fork. It is the exact same fork on the outside as the other Judys(which people seem to like just fine)which means it has the same rigidity and control. It works fine on the trail, and if you don't race, you have nothing to complain about. I don't know who paid $300 for their TT, but at $130 it's a bargain, and the amount of upgrade options for a Judy is endless. If you have a limited budget, buy this fork now, and save up for an upgrade later if you have to.

Favorite Trail:   jefferson nat. forest, VA

Purchased At:   bikedot.com

Similar Products Used:   RS Mag 21, Indyxc

Bike Setup:   current favorite 93 Bridgestone MB2

Submitted by Baron von Big Ring from Wisconsn

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2000

Strengths:    upgradable

Weaknesses:    flexy, lots of play in the bushings, whatever Rock Shox says this thing will get for travel is a lie, bad seals

Bottom Line:
What a lousy excuse for a fork. Too bad it came with my bike. Don't think about wasting your money on this. Buy a Zokes or Manitou instead. I upgraded to total air cartridges which improved the quality of travel 100% but I'm still stuck with a flexy fork with lously bushings & seals. The money I spent on the total air cartridges & pump would have been better spent on a closeout model Zokes or Manitou. 1 big pile of flaming turd for the SuperMegaConglom Inc. Rock Shox.

Purchased At:   Bicycle Doctor- Oconomowoc