RockShox Judy SL 98 Front Shock

Rock Shox 1998 Judy SL 80mm long travel

Submitted by Jay Jay a Cross Country Rider from Raleigh, NC

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2002

Strengths:    Low maintenance; reliable

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
Good all-around shock. Easy to maintain and rebiuld. It does what it's designed to do if you take the time to tune it correctly (springs and oil) and keep it clean. This is not a DH shock. If you want to jump off cliffs, it will fail! No complaints (like the ones I hear from SID owners) after one year of fairly agressive XC riding. Five chilies for value since they are dirt cheap at some of the outlet shops. One chili less because it's heavier than most of the MCU shocks on the market now.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Road

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Indy/Jett

Bike Setup:   Yeti As3 Shimano XT/LX, Coupe Deluxe Rear Shock.

Submitted by ed a Cross Country Rider from mi

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2001

Strengths:    fairly light
works well
product support

Weaknesses:    not as light as others
flexy
no rebound adjustment
no negative spring

Bottom Line:
This is a decent fork. I bought it used and have been pretty happy with it. It is not very plush but can be made so by having the cartridge rebuilt with higher viscosity oil. My fork was originally the 97 Sl but the fork crown snapped when I got my wheel jammed between two logs. I called rock shox and they told me there was a design defect in the lowers so they sent me the 98 lowers as a replacement, no questions asked. This was very suprising, considering that they knew I was not the original owner. I do still have the original cartridge however. I have never blown it. I think some people blow these cartridges because they don't realize this is an XC fork, not a freeride fork. If do do huge drops, it probably will blow. However, I ride fairly aggressive XC and I weigh 235 lbs- I have never had a problem. My only real problems relate to the fork's features-- no negative spring or rebound dampening control. But when this shock was made, those were not standard features so i guess it no big deal. Also, this fork is flexy! It takes lots of finesse to track well over rough terrain. However, Most XC riders have very light bikes that would require this type of skill anyways, so again, its no big deal. Compared to some of today's models it is definitely not up to par. But for what it was in '98, it was a great shock. today it is a good one. I upgraded to speed springs which were also a huge improvement, except that the speed springs seem to run very stiff--no big deal since I am a clydesdale. I also have noticed that the dampening adjustment is pretty neglible. Very little change is made from adjusting it. In '98 it was a 5 chili fork. Today, a 3 chili fork. I'll give it four. If I were to buy a new fork, I would probably replace it with a Sid or an SX-R. Since the 99 SX-R's are dirt cheap right now, they are probably the best deal going ($99 at pricepoint)

Similar Products Used:   indy SL
sx-r
quad-21

Bike Setup:   barracuda comp
all xt
carbon goodies

Submitted by eurosac a Weekend Warrior from wichita ks

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2001

Strengths:    good all round fork for the money,used and abused now for over 2 years and still going strong

Weaknesses:    weight compared to the newer sid's etc

Bottom Line:
This fork has been great for the money i put about 40 miles a week on road to work and usually about 10-15 off road at the weekends and it is still going strong and i am no lightweight at 220 which is more than can be said for the manitou which self desructed after 5 months.

Favorite Trail:   cowboy up keystone co

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   manitou carbon junk

Bike Setup:   diamondback ti pro with raceface cranks and b/b,king headset,xtr,kore elite stem,frog pedals,517's

Submitted by Andrew Fry a Cross Country Rider from Winthrop Me USA

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2000

Strengths:    The fork is stronger than anything else i have seen on the market and its light weight doesn't coast a lot, and has a great fealing. I race every weekend and ride 2 hours a day this fork as been to hell and back and for 2 years of hell I am happy with the Judy SL. I would sugjest this fork for any kind of rider, one who wants to race or one who wants to free ride because its cheep and it races well.

Weaknesses:    It is on the heavy side. Yes the SID is a pound lighter, but is it worth the extrat 100+ dollars?

Bottom Line:
This fork rocks always stay with the JUDY SL

Favorite Trail:   Mt Piska

Purchased At:   Rainbow Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Judy xc and some bombers

Bike Setup:   98 GT Avelenche with full xt 8 spd set up

Submitted by Gus a Cross Country Rider from The Land of Og

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2000

Strengths:    Light, Adjustable, Looks

Weaknesses:    Blown cartridge, bad seals

Bottom Line:
I have NEVER had any luck with Rock Shox, neither has anyone I ahve ever known. I bought this fork because I wanted a replacemrnt for my stock Judy XC(Blown Cartridge)I got a good deal on it (Thank God) and liked the mag reviews and the look. But, sure enough with in less than 4 months the cartridge started leaking and blew its seals. Now what I have on my bike is an good looking yellow pogo stick. I hope Rock Shox has resovled some of their seal problems otherwise it's Manitou or Zokes for me.

Similar Products Used:   Judy XC

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar, Cane Creek AD-10 rear Race Face stuff, X517 Wheels

Submitted by Jeroen van den Brand a Cross Country Rider from Boxtel, The Netherlands

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2000

Strengths:    Great looks! Stiff and very little maintance!

Weaknesses:    Cartridge damper got leaking twice! Got new ones, but I recommend you put in White Bros, Hardbody cartridges!!
Standard too weak springs! Begins to make cracking noise at the crown joints with the steerer and upper tubes!!! Working on that with my dealer....

Bottom Line:
Nice fork. I have the 80mm long travel versionand I use it for XC racing. I weigh approx. 61 kgs and I have got the black (Firm) springs inside. The standard were too weak! My crown will be swopped with a new one, because it cracks like hell. When that's done, I will enjoy my SL again!!!

Favorite Trail:   Ardennen