RockShox Judy 100 99 Front Shock

3.8/5 (54 Reviews)

99 Judy 100

Submitted by Scott Marcano from Enid, OK. USA

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2008

Strengths:    Great Travel, never serviced

Weaknesses:    In all these years I wonder!

Bottom Line:
Ridden it for years, 6, never serviced. Great travel, saved my butt many times since I love hard core technical trails. It handles moderate drops, up to 5 feet or so. Just makes me wonder how good the new forks are, I'll find out soon since I'm in the market for an "all-mountain" bike. I'm sure the new bigger staunchons are much more stiff, we will see.

Favorite Trail:   Black Mountain, NC

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Bike came with the Indy.

Bike Setup:   97 Specialized Ground Control, XT everything, rynolight wheels, Avid mech-disks, riser handle bar.

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Denver CO USA

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2002

Strengths:    Looks good, rides well, and has good travel. I say this after replacing the springs.

Weaknesses:    It is a little on the heavy side, not too bad though. The springs that it came with suck. Change 'em out.

Bottom Line:
Overall a great shock with the after market springs in there. I am not a heavy rider at all (175 lbs) but the springs that it came with were like jello. I do some xc, free ride and downhill and find this is a good all around fork.

Favorite Trail:   Fred's Lunch - Vail

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi dirt jumper, Manitou Black

Bike Setup:   GT i-drive w/ Shimano XT derailleurs, XT brakes, deore levers. Mavic 217 rims.

Submitted by Jared Raynes a Downhiller from Christchurch, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2002

Strengths:    I like the red, THAT IS IT!!!!!!!!

Weaknesses:    Everything, these are the crappest fork ever. rockshoxs say do mantainence every 100 hours... i was doing it every ride.

Bottom Line:
I have blown the seals about 10 times in 2 years, and now they are f**ked. i had to buy new forks because they just stopped working and there was nothing i could do about it.

Favorite Trail:   Victora Park Nats course

Purchased At:   pennys

Similar Products Used:   Bomber freeride, ohhh baby way way better fork

Bike Setup:   mongoose with all the works

Submitted by Richard a Weekend Warrior from Cork, Ireland

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2001

Strengths:    reasonable looks

Weaknesses:    poor paint job, easily broken

Bottom Line:
Mine took a minor hit from the front and have never been working right since, there a huge amount of top out since the crash and none of the shops I've tried has been able to sort them out.

The paint had also began to clip of on various areas of the legs.

I ended up just getting Bomber Z4's as a replacment and they've been superb ever since I got 'em.

Favorite Trail:   Macroom Golf course

Purchased At:   Pauls Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi Z4 100, RST 261

Bike Setup:   GT XCR 3000, Bomber Z4 100, mostly LX, Deore cranks, Mavic X221 rims.

Submitted by MATT a Cross Country Rider from Long Island

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2001

Strengths:    Pretty smooth, not bad in weight, progressive,.

Weaknesses:    LEaks oil, big problem with topping out, poor quality in internal parts, legendary RS customer support (lol).

Bottom Line:
OK here is the honest truth. I ride this shock hard, take very good maintenance of it and every season so far has called for about 2-3 overhauls usually involving replacement of crappy plastic top out bumpers which get eaten up after a few 100 miles....AHHHH! Every little hit feels like a loose headset and trust me it aint the chris king headset folks! I am at my wits end because the travel past the first 1 is so smooth and i have it set up really well for a 160 lb rider except i cant fix the topout/oil leaks i have been getting for a while now. The model i have is nice, an OEM model with the alluminum adjusters but it is killing my XCR ride. But as far as value i'd have to say for 200 bucks you cant beat it really. Thinking about going for the Y2K X FLY but i aint wild about what i've heard about small hits.....any suggestions?

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Point

Purchased At:   price point

Similar Products Used:   Older Judy's, Do i dare say it.......AN INDY XC LONGTRAVEL! YIKES!

Bike Setup:   XT/XTR,King head, Mavik 517's, 2k XCR 1000, raceface cranks, only thing left from old LTS 3000 frame are the paralax STX hubs.

Submitted by Dano a Weekend Warrior from Surrey, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2001

Strengths:    Smooths out the bumps, and I've never came close to bottoming out on it. I'm a cross-country rider - no dropping off of cliffs etc.

Weaknesses:    Lot's of negative travel, but this may be true of many others.

Bottom Line:
This shock can handle way more than I can safely ask it to and therefore it does the job. The increased length/travel of the fork may slow down your steering but you can get used to it. For the money, I think I got a great deal compared to what else is available.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Quadra

Bike Setup:   1996 Gary Fisher Big Sur - My first MTB

Submitted by Dan a Racer from UCSD

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2001

Strengths:    4" of travel
Small Adjustability (What do you expect from a mid priced fork?)
Quite Strong for a fork in this Price Range($350)

Weaknesses:    The bushings are a little weak.
Small Adjustability (What do you expect from a mid priced fork?)

Bottom Line:
The Bottom Line is, I read what people write about this fork ,and most of it is BS; This fork is not going to flex nearly as much as people clam it will. I also read in one review that this fork does not do good in the rain, WHAT THE HELL IS HE TALKING ABOUT? This fork has a seal, 2 sets of bushings and a set of rings; nothing is going to get in this fork if you clean it up every month or two. The bottom line is Rock Shox makes a good fork based on the Boxxer for $350.

Purchased At:   Purchased from Rock Shox

Similar Products Used:   I work in a bike shop. (A lot of forks)

Submitted by fonseca a Weekend Warrior from Harrisonburg, Va, USA

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2001

Strengths:    Very smooth
Tuneable with different springs and oil weights
Can take a beating

Weaknesses:    Should have come with boots
Slight leg flex

Bottom Line:
I bought it in early '99, and the first thing I did was install some White Bros wipers. Anyone dumb enough to ride this fork in the rain or mud deserves to have bushing problems! Lizard Skin boots are $5 and velcro on, requiring no disassembly. And if you're too stupid to ride without boots you should not be attempting class V maintainance either. I know a lot of you are on a budget, but your LBS should be working on your fork for you.

I have changed my oil twice, switching from a custom 13 weight to 10 weight. When I drained the oil there were only traces of dirt, and no water. I think fork wipers filled with slick honey (and checked after every few rides) is the reason. Also, I use the salsa brake booster, which really eliminates leg flex and helps with brake fade as well. My final comment is that you should not work on this fork unless you own a torque wrench. The torque specifications are given for a reason. If you are leaking oil, RTFM! Minus 1 star in the value rating for not including boots and for leg flex, which I had to correct with aftermarket items.

Favorite Trail:   Wild Oaks

Similar Products Used:   Quadra 21
Judy SL
Manitou SX

Submitted by AJ Granato a Racer from Pittsfiled Ma US

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2001

Strengths:    everything! color, travel, toughness, and looks good and rides good on anyway bike.

Weaknesses:    everything except nothing!

Bottom Line:
I'm 14, and I started off ith a 97 Giant WARP ds1. It dident last with my riding, I had Indy S in front and a giant shock in rear. Then i was gonna upgrade the fork to a judy XLC but my local store said the frame would crack! so i said f*ck that and got a FSR I dident want a triple crown fork on the bike... so I got a Judy 100. Ever sense I've never had soo much fun goin off cliffs and takin big hits with this thing. If you're lucky enough to find one in good condition, BUY IT! Judy's are the best and with 100mm of travel ya cant beat it for the price!

Favorite Trail:   Danger to health ones

Purchased At:   Wheel World

Similar Products Used:   Judy XC (when converted to 100mm )

Bike Setup:   99' FSR, avid disc in front, stock V in rear, Flat ritchey handle bars, bontrager bar ends, GT saddle, Rock shox Delux in rear (not too proud of that).

Submitted by mike a Downhiller from vancouver,bc,canada

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2001

Strengths:    everything i mean this shock rips sh$t up

Bottom Line:
the bottom line is that these forks tear, you cant break them they handle 6-8 footers and i dont expect anything else from it. it has never leaked oil and i have never maintained them i have never touched them since i bout them new. they do have a bit of flex when riding on a laid back trail with little rocks and stuff, but when it comes to the shore they acually handled it good.so the bottom line pretty much means they are good to go..................

Favorite Trail:   anything with drops

Purchased At:   cizaps

Similar Products Used:   jetts, xvert dc, marz.....

Bike Setup:   98 fsr elite sweet ride

Submitted by yonkers wonkers a Downhiller from danvers MA

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2001

Strengths:    it is a great fork i have never had a problem with it

Weaknesses:    there is none !!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
this is a great fork and i have never had a problem with it and i will probbally never have any probs i dont know what these guys are talking about there is no flex at all. and it never leaks oil and ya every one has to change oil once and a while so buy it if you need 4" of travel and u want a good DH fork or a good FREE RIDE fork and if u are hard core. i beat the crap out of it and there is no probs

BUY IT !!!!

Favorite Trail:   FREE RIDER

Purchased At:   western cycles

Similar Products Used:   z3 100

Bike Setup:   GT Agressor sun mammoth front and rear dh rims Judy 100 fork tomac dh bars DH stem XT crank Black spire rock ring

Submitted by Garner Of the Hill People a Weekend Warrior from Columbia, MO

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2001

Strengths:    probably hefty enough to kill Doyle with it

Weaknesses:    pukes worse than Calista Flockhart

Bottom Line:
I got this in trade with my current frame set. Thought I'd play with it before selling it. Liked the 4" travel, and sold my well used Girvin for some new singletrack play (got off the rocks when I moved). Well, there've been more than a few days I wished I still had the old link'd wonder since I started riding this thing. I've put new seals on it, White Bros wipers (had Lizard Skin booties awhile), and changed the oil a few times. There's just not enough overlap with the stancions and sliders to make this thing a contender. Excess wear on the stancions and mo' flex. It uses more oil than my '75 Bronco; I literally top it off after every 30 miles or so I'll actually have a little resistance in it. When it held oil it was a fun, albeit not overly technically proficient ride. I gave it a chance because Rock Shox had finally ditched the MCU charade and built a Bomber. Well, Marzocchi built a better one and mine's in the mail. Did I mention the oil drip stains on my carpet?

Favorite Trail:   Little Blakely

Purchased At:   used/with frameset off MTBR

Similar Products Used:   Girvin Crosslink, aired-out Judy XC, Manitou SX-Ti '97, Judy C hydracoil, Quadra 21R, Manitou Spyder R

Bike Setup:   8900 Trek/Race Face/Avid/USE XCR/XT-XTR...

Submitted by Blackwell a Weekend Warrior from Mission Viejo

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2001

Strengths:    Inexpensive

Weaknesses:    No boots

Bottom Line:
This shock came with my '99 XCR, which I bought in May of '00. This is my first suspension ride, so I don't have much to compare it to, but here's my 2 cents anyway. I weigh about 145, and only ride on weekends, so I've never really hammered on the bike very hard; the shock never bottomed out, but after 4 or 5 months, it started making sounds of "excessive topping out" (per the RS manual.) Took the bike to the shop to have it tuned, and they said the fork was fine. Now, about a month or 2 later, the fork is leaking oil, and is back at the shop. I'll probably end up buying boots for it; maybe that will help.

Bike Setup:   '99 GT XCR 3000

Submitted by Anthony Granato a Cross Country Rider from Pittsfield Ma

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2000

Strengths:    Great fork! Enough travel 4 fun riding, nice racey red with gold, adds nice feature to full suspension.

Weaknesses:    High riding (but same with any long travel fork)

Bottom Line:
buy this if you need travel/plushness without the price

Favorite Trail:   if dangers involved, I like it