Pace Shock Front Shock

4.27/5 (67 Reviews)

Pace Shock Cross-country

Submitted by Jonathan Hunt a Cross Country Rider from U.K.

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2003

Strengths:    Looks Good

Weaknesses:    Mine lasted 2 days then back to the Factory for air seals to be Replaced in right hand fork. Went on a 5 week cycling Holiday and after 2 Days Left hand air seals went! and had to pump them up every 10mls or 1 hour!!!!! Going back to Factory Again

Bottom Line:
Many People Recommend these? Perhaps I got a Friday Pair! But mine have only managed 3.5 Days riding in 2 months without Faults. Factory or Shop will not replace them only service them which I think is poor considering there price and the Performance upto Date, wondering if I can take them to the Small Claims Court?

Favorite Trail:   Serignan in France

Purchased At:   Bikescene

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox Springs Great

Bike Setup:   2003 S-Works M5 Brain, Pace RC38 LT Forks (Crap), Hope Disks, XTR gearing.

Submitted by Andrew Craig a Cross Country Rider from Surrey, UK

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2002

Strengths:    Action; Steering; Servicability; Factory Back-up; Looks, especially on my matt black with Red and silver S-Works!

Weaknesses:    Though I have had no trouble, I guess the bridge screws.

Bottom Line:
I made the decision to buy the ProClass 2 after speaking to the factory. They were honest about the faults reported on there previous models and I felt it would be the easiest to work on with standard tools and engineering parts if it went wrong, they can also service all their models back to to first and some upgrades. I did 'Locktite' the bridge screws as a precaution but only with a light grade, and torqued them properly. Most of my riding is in wet conditions and I have not needed to service them yet. They are as good as new which means a really smooth action, good damping. To me, they provide the best balance between weight, action and durability. I have left them on the 100mm travel setting and the spring rate is fine for me (Weight 66kg, 151lb). At UK prices at least, they now look excellent value too.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere with woodland, singltrack, hills

Purchased At:   Mountain Trax, Berkshire

Similar Products Used:   I only wanted to buy them once, so I bought these.

Bike Setup:   Specialized S-Works hardtail, mostly XT

Submitted by Barry a Cross Country Rider from Epsom, England

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2001

Strengths:    Rigidity, strength, superb seal quality, general build quality

Weaknesses:    My rather old ones have rather short travel. rebound adjustment limited

Bottom Line:
Bought these RC35s two years ago - used with Titanium upgrade - for £200. They are unbelievably good for rigidity and durability. I only got round to servicing them for the first time recently (because they hadn't seemed to need it).

Despite the filthy wet winter here last year, and the fact that Pace don't use rubber bootees, no sign at all of any dirt penetration - the grease was crystal-clear. For you colonials on the West Coast, this probably doesn't matter much, but I'd got fed up with forks from over there needing servicing every couple of weeks.

Have just bought an Iron Horse G-Spot with Manitous, and I suspect I'll be "forking out" for new Pace ones pretty soon. Just the best for wet climates!

Purchased At:   second-hand

Similar Products Used:   RST, Rock Shox

Bike Setup:   Specialized Rockhopper A1 frame with many upgraades over 4 years

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Essex, England

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
The RC38 is a massive improvement on the '36. Mostly in the weight area. It has a ally steerer tube , which I can recommend to any XC rider, has the same great carbon look sliders etc. The feel of the fork is much improved. It is very easy to set up with easily reached adjusters. The lockout is very handy for those uphill blasts, no more
pogo-ing forks as you accellerate quickly (I am 14 stone and this used to happen alot on the '36s).
Clearance can be a problem though. I normally run 1.95" velociraptors and these don't leave much room in between the brace and the tyre.
Greaseports make looking after them a doddle, just grease 'em up once a week and thats it.

If you're trying to build a V light XC bike and are looking at Pace forks then these are well worth the extra £100 on top of the '36s.
Loadsa dirty miles and no probs with mine!!

Purchased At:   Direct from Pace

Similar Products Used:   Pace RC36

Bike Setup:   Year 2000 RC38 Air Force

Submitted by Steve from Kendal, Cumbria, England

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2000

Strengths:    EVO II is made in UK. Look cool and has those grease ports. Superb company to deal with in respect of warranty works (shame I know this so well though!!)

Weaknesses:    The bonding on my forks drop outs came loose after 3 rides and had to be returned to PACE. The fork has a drisk brake mount that is not part of the fork itself and this caused my fork to snap in half (so PACE say). Though PACE replaced my forks I sold them to the first mug, ahem, sorry, person who wanted them and bought some superb Z1 CR's. If you have a disk brake - do not use this fork. It could be really dangerous. The drop outs have gone in my fork, and also in the only other persons fork I know - who owns a PACE set up. Having said this, I believe that the EVO III is much, MUCH better. Mind you.... could not be much worse in my opinion.

Bottom Line:
Do not use this fork with a disk. It hurts.

Favorite Trail:   Helvellyn, or High Street - though Kentmere and the How Gills are cool

Similar Products Used:   Z2 BAM, Z3, Z1 Drop Off

Bike Setup:   Pace RC 200 F8, Hope BB and closed 2 pot pro, Middleburn Chainset with Pace rings, XTR shifters and mechs

Submitted by willow a Weekend Warrior from uk - Lancashire

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2000

Strengths:    absolutely excellent adjustabilty, miles easier to service than bombers no special tools best looking forks ever (and made in yorkshire) Need servicing like once every blue moon

Weaknesses:    crappy bolts on braces came loose and made fork all sloppy. Solved with loctite but now can't gt them out without rounding them

Bottom Line:
The RC36 Evo is ace. go buy the latest ones (evo III) as they look better.... Miles better than anything by rockshox better adjustabily better quality - the feel of the fork has to be appreciated. Bit pricey compared to similarly specced forks but you pay for quality, anyway I got mine cheap...

Favorite Trail:   Holcombe Hill (but i'm strange like that)

Similar Products Used:   Orange F7 rigids, Bomber z1, manitou cheapo's

Bike Setup:   Orange P7 LX

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Brighton, U.K.

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2000

Strengths:    Stiff, very plush. Not too heavy. Greaseports.

Weaknesses:    Poxy stupid allen bolts that round off too easily.
Titanium nitride coating wears away. (Pro class EVO)
Cost.

Bottom Line:
Despite the niggles these are still the best forks i`ve ever used. Even first time out the improvement over the Manitous they replaced was awesome. Those bolts are a problem though - i`ve now got a supply of `spares` from Pace. The double seals seem to keep most of the crap out but the nitriding on the stanchions has worn very thin in a couple of places.It doesn`t seem to affect the performance though. There is a small amount of play when there is no weight on the forks but this dissapears as soon as you start riding and Pace assure me it is meant to be there. They are expensive though.

Similar Products Used:   Ballistics, Manitous.

Bike Setup:   Originally on Marin Rift Zone, now on Merlin UK hardtail.

Submitted by Jerry Atkinson a Cross Country Rider from uk

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2000

Strengths:    Weatherproof as long as one uses a greasegun every week
I don't touch them otherwise.[the single lip seals they originally had were crap though] the spring rate is perfect for my 75kilos. Stiff enough

Weaknesses:    Damping device fades pretty quickly but as I prefer lightly damped forks it doesn't bother me.Damping doesn't seem to fade completely, well not the replacement damper, the original did, Pace replaced it free of charge.

Bottom Line:
If I only had £150 I'd buy a secondhand set of these rather than a new fork. I would love to be able to justify buying a new set of Pace Evo3s but my 3year old forks just don't seem to wear!All my mates rockshocks from that period are knackered.

Favorite Trail:   Hergest Ridge

Similar Products Used:   RC35, quasar

Bike Setup:   93 DeKerf made rockymountain top steel frame smooooooth with show07 stamped on it,a bit soft lateraly on rubble but it only cost me£35

Submitted by Steeve a Weekend Warrior from Switzerland

Date Reviewed: August 5, 1999

Strengths:
Above all, cool looks, you stand out of the crowd of soap bar shaped cast forks..
fringe appeal
made in the uk (if that is cool, but since steve peat has been rocking recently..)the fork is very responsive, smooth and reacts very fast to repetitive bumpseasy servicing through greaseports

Weaknesses:
those (summer?) seals!
it turns into a rigid fork when it rains..
i have had new winter seals installed, they were very good,
but a couple of weeks later I crashed, both the stanchions, the crown and a crown bolt cracked..
i probably would have killed any fork on that crash..stiffnes while braking is not too good eitherexcessive dive under braking
(probably springs too soft, but then you cannot adjust the preload)a pain to reassemble

Bottom Line:
good performance, lack of rigidity, cool looks,
watch out for those seals..

laax dh

1 Year

Rock Shock SID '98
Manitou mach 5 sx '96

Litespeed obed hardtail, tick bits, 22-23 lbs

Submitted by Chris a cross-country rider from England

Date Reviewed: March 12, 1999

Bottom Line:

My RC36s are nearly two years old. They still steer as well as they ever did and they still cope effortlessly with all sizes of bumps. They're even easier to service after Pace advised slapping the front of the legs whilst pulling them back together. They seem better tied together than my much newer Bomber Z1s on my other bike which can suffer a bit of disc brake rub when I'm hooning it through the twisty stuff. The Bombers are superb and do have the edge on the larger bumps but when you look at the Pace in context as the ideal hardtail suspension fork, I think they are superior. They both work superbly but the Pace are easier to service and weigh less.

Submitted by Edward Chaplin a weekend warrior from Sheffield England

Date Reviewed: March 10, 1999

Bottom Line:

I have just purchased the new 1999 RC 36 EVO2 forks, and they are brilliant.
They are much beefier than the 1998 EVO 1's which I previously had.
The best thing of all is that now with the air spring in one leg your not
always bottoming them out,like the last ones. These forks are much better
for me and my riding style, I am over 6 foot and 16.5 stone, I didn't
break the 1997-98 evos but they sometimes felt a little flimsey . The new
EVO 2's feel much stronger and their action is perfect.
THIS FORK IS NAILS!

Submitted by Piers Newland a cross-country rider from Wakefield

Date Reviewed: February 11, 1999

Bottom Line:

Pace RC36 pro class.
I'd got a bit of spare cash so I treated myself. They look nice and work a treat too. They have 90mm of travel and are dead easy to service, not that they need doing that often (a few times a year in Yorkshire). The assorted bits of damping adjustment seem to work and they are rigid especially considering the travel. I'm pleased.

Submitted by Chris a racer from UK

Date Reviewed: February 5, 1999

Bottom Line:

I have had these forks for near two years. Their performance is excellent. They are very plush and steer very well. BUT I have had the crown lose the steerer twice. Pace have been excellent in service and now have replaced the crown and given me the newest cartridge all for free. I thoroughly recommend these forks for performance. With winter seals (now standard) I service them once every two months even in the gloop in winter.

Submitted by Hubert Palluba a cross-country rider from Greenland

Date Reviewed: January 5, 1999

Bottom Line:

Mine don't bounce at all, they are CRAP. I've had them for 3 years and they've never f*****g worked. I admit that I could have sent them back like any normal person but thats just me.

Submitted by Hubert Palluba from cross-country rider

Date Reviewed: January 5, 1999

Bottom Line:

Guess what? Mine don't bounce at all - they are SHIT. I've had them for 3 years
and they've never f*****g worked! I admit I was too stupid to actually send them back like any normal person but that's just me.

2009 Cannondale F5 front shock upgrade

Dart 3 shock on the front, I want to upgrade to a lighter front shock, I just don't know which ones will fit etc.. Thanks for any help!!. I am looking for the specs and the manual doesn't appear on cannondale website no longer. tapered??, 1 1/8?? Thanks Much!!Read More »

HT Shock? Which to get?

I am so close to buying my first real mountain bike. Seems every time I look at a bike something new pos up to consider. I have picked out the Specialized Jett for its light weight, disc brakes and 29er....but am struggling with the front suspension....go coil or air? I am a heavy rider and heard ... Read More »

Valve on rear shock

What's the valve on shocks at the bottom of the sanction and do you add air to that and if so how? Sorry suspension is one thing I'm not 100% on when it comes to bikes Sent from my HTC EVO LTERead More »

I want your 7.875 x 2 fox rear shock

2014 preferably...converting an HD to 650b. thanks.Read More »

Which shock and which tune for Talboy LTc

A 2014 LTc is coming soon. After my experiences with Fox on the Tallboy, I'm going Rockshox all the way. Have ordered a 150mm Pike to replace the F34 (couldn't find reviews on the dual air so just went solo, but I am still curious about the dual air). I want to replace the CTD shock with eithe ... Read More »