Noleen Elite Front Shock

4.46/5 (13 Reviews)

Noleen Elite

Submitted by Adam Lazenby from Sandy, OR

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2001

Strengths:    Smooth travel. The smart shock lets it be soft in the little stuff and much stiffer in the big G-outs. Very tough to bottom out with the smart shock on.

Weaknesses:    Cables rub on the sides of the legs. The smart shock shorted out after only six months of riding. This made the shock handle very poorly. It was very stiff on the small stuff and bottomed out quickly with a loud thunk.

Bottom Line:
As long as the smart shock is working this shock is outstanding. But, as soon as it dies the fork is not quite as enjoyable.

Purchased At:   ediscountbike.com

Similar Products Used:   Indy S, Judy 100

Bike Setup:   K2 Proflex 4000

Submitted by George Estreich a Cross Country Rider from NYC, NY

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2001

Strengths:    Super laterally stiff...no side to side what so ever. Tightest fork Ive ever used. Replaced NR1 with NR2 and it got even better with dampening control. Tracks like a laser. Looks real mean (great conversation starter + anyone who has one will treat you like a brother)

Weaknesses:    a little on the heavy side. Tall mounting makes low handlebar height tough to acheive (get - stem angle and flat bar) Smashed my rapidfire shifter barrels to smithereens on the bottom out.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is I love this fork. I raced for one season in the NORBA circuit in Hawaii (BIMBA) and I used the Judy for half the time and the Noleen for half. I love the friggin thing. Its so tight its like halfway between a sid and no shock at all. (those of you who can appreciate the no shock analogy will love this thing). Not for the meek...for the intense. I loathe the dual suspension experience, I need much more feel...the noleen delivers. Get a softer coil and an NR2 and you can have the plush too. Not me. I dial the preload stiff and rip. When it bottoms out (very rarely) I know Im riding properly.

Favorite Trail:   Stillwell Preserve

Purchased At:   Hilo Bike Hub, HI

Similar Products Used:   rock shox judy race, manitou sx, a few others.

Bike Setup:   '01 Trek 6700 frame with all fresh components. (easton ea- 70 post and bars, bontrager race lite crankset, xt/xtr derr., Avid arch rival V's, superstock rims. Fits me like a Trojan.

Submitted by Jason a Weekend Warrior from Loa Angeles, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2001

Strengths:    awsome suspension soacks up big obstacles, but is also precise on singletrack. very low unsprung weight, although the entire unit is probably heavier than the judy sl it replaced. got it for a great price!

Weaknesses:    poor powdercoating job - it's flaking off a bit, but luckily is painted white underneath also. nothing like the awsome powdercoating on the santa cruz frame.

noise from shift cables hitting the fork's cable guides during heavy pounding. I think a couple cable ties and/or foam tape will silence this.

Bottom Line:
On my first ride out with it, I rode faster and with more confidence. A much more active suspension than the rock shox which was a good fork. A noticable improvement to an already sweet setup. Bike geometry didn't noticably change except handlebar is now 1" higher due to upper mount of fork above the head tube. I could invert the stem, but I use a flat bar anyway and the higher position was just fine. sub-par powder coating job keep it from 5 chilies, but I recommend it highly anyway.

Purchased At:   ediscountbike.com

Similar Products Used:   rock shox judy sl with speedsprings, AMP

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler, king headset, bontrager jones tires

Submitted by Shaun ONeil a Weekend Warrior from Amherst

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2000

Strengths:    I work at a bike shop in Buffalo NY, and I have to day when my collegues pointed me towards the Noleen I was very uncertain, somehow they talked me into it and now I feel it is one of the greatest purchases I have ever made. It handles like a dream and will without a doubt go through anyting. If you dissagree with this it is only because you need to learn how to really bike!

Bottom Line:
Its the bomb
No side to side movement you get from all those other front shocks out there

Favorite Trail:   Hunters Creek

Purchased At:   Precision

Submitted by Alan a Cross Country Rider from Jonesboro, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2000

Strengths:    Good stiff fork, dependable, great performance for the money, reasonable weight.

Weaknesses:    Will raise handlebar height unless you flip a rising stem upside down... not really a problem in my case.

Bottom Line:
Best all around fork that I have used to date. Great on single track. Seems plush on small and large hits but a little harsh "in the rough" at speed. Works well for XC racing.
Thought it steered flawlessly until I added an Ionic Major Stiffy brake booster. Now it REALLY does steer EXACTLY where I want it to go: the most confidence inspiring fork I have ever ridden. I am 140lbs and using the RED 200 rate spring.
I recommend this fork to anyone wanting a great performing XC fork at a reasonable price. Follow the instructions CAREFULLY if you install this fork yourself. Have a bike shop do it if you are not mechanically inclined. Then go out and enjoy a great riding bike.

Similar Products Used:   '93 Specialized Future shock, '94 Girvin Vector 2, Specialized FSX Carbon/titanium (tapered legs).

Bike Setup:   '95 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 frame, XT rapidfire & V-brakes, Raceface crank, Cane Creek Cronos WAM wheelset, Thudbuster Quatra-pivot seatpost.

Submitted by Mike the bike guy a Cross-Country Rider from Leesburg VA

Date Reviewed: November 19, 1999

Strengths:
It really takes the hard hits well. Rolls right over them.
Tracks very well!!!
Can bunny-hop like a crazy person...

Weaknesses:
no disc mount (no biggie) I can deal with that.

Bottom Line:
OK the fork's great but.... check this out:Here it is 12ish and I just finished up, guess what?installing a light directly onto the Noleen Elite fork I just got.I putz'd around with a few different ideas when, low-and-B-hold, I found it...
The perfect do-hicky.I installed a simple, single-beam, helmet light, made by Cateye, taken off it's bracket then mounting it onto a cut and re-bent reflector bracket intended for a kid's bike.In a spot where Noleen made a bracket intended for running derailleur/brake cable I was able to mount the light directly onto the inside of the right fork leg. (right in front of the fork's shock)It looks as if it belongs there. It almost looks like a motorcross bike. tee hee :-)Best thing about it, because of the light's location (on the actual fork leg), it doesn't pivot very much. And, if you think about it, the pivot action it does have is actually good... it pivots slightly downward, something you'd want when you're hitting the bumps.I crack myself up. I'm so frikin' creative!!!Now I just gotta figure out how to mount the battery pack (which is no biggie).
+ I gotta get a new bulb to replace the one I torched the other night (woops).

anywhere off road

less than 1 month

NA

On a Dean Z Link.
Talk about a your pivots!!! yikes

Submitted by Billy a Weekend Warrior from Castle Rock Colorado

Date Reviewed: November 11, 1999

Strengths:
Very Reliable

Weaknesses:
Funky Travel

Bottom Line:
Had the fork for a little over one year. Never been broken. First fork I have had that was so reliable. I have only done scheduled maintance and have had zero suprises. My only bitc* is the way the travel arcs under. This fork does dive under because of the design of the travel, so it does take awhile to get used to. It's probably me but I find it hard to jump with this fork, landings are sometimes sketchy at best, maybe I'm getting sloppy. I really don't like this one any higher than three feet. Nice under pedaling, very little bob. I give it a three not cause it's a bad fork but there after riding some other stuff I found this is not the fork for me.

Judy, XCR, Bomber

Ti frame, XTR, Light Cross Country

Submitted by Tony D a Cross-Country Rider from Vancouver, WA

Date Reviewed: October 17, 1999

Strengths:
STIFF, tracks very well, handles square edge bumps, very, very little bobbing or brake dive

Weaknesses:
Could be lighter, no disc mounts

Bottom Line:
I wouldn't pay retail for this fork, but got mine for $150 and am happy. It replaced a '97 SX-Ti w/Speed Springs. This fork is very stiff, I immediately noticed less front wheel deflection. The fork lets most the small stuff through and doesn't activate until more medium hits. Anything from say 6 to 2.5' this fork just eats alive. I would not call the ride plush at all though, it feels much more like a race fork. At about 3.65lb, it could be lighter. Word is that Noleen has an air shock in the works that is retro compatible that'll get the weight down to the 3.15-3.2 range. There are also replacement legs soon available that're disc compatible. Maintainance is a breeze w/the lube ports

Submitted by P.D. Nick a Downhiller from Englewood, Colorado

Date Reviewed: August 12, 1999

Strengths:
Very light, if you are a climber. Stiff, nice amount of travel.

Weaknesses:
Not disc brake mountable unless you by a new leg which costs $180.

Bottom Line:
It is a good shock for downhilling, but I have decided to change to a Manatou X-Vert R. And it is not $600 like the site says, I'm selling mine, which is in good condition for $400, O/B/O
It really is a good fork for the money.

Keystone, Colorado

3 months

Girvin Elite

K2 4000, Noleen Nr-4 it is fu@#$%^ awesome.

Submitted by Pablo a Racer from Spain

Date Reviewed: July 24, 1999

Strengths:
The feeling is just great!

Weaknesses:
If you really want to take it to the top, you should change the shock that cames with it and put an NR-4.

Bottom Line:
I've raced for almost five years and I've tried every new model that came out. When ive gone for a ride with this fork, I didn't think it any more: it looks cool, it doesn't flex and it's perfect for XC racing. It's just the best fork ever built!

Sierra Nevada Downhill

1 Year

Lots of Judy's, bombers and RST.

Sunn Revolt Gp, XTR, Race Face and Crossmax.

Date Reviewed: May 17, 1999

Strengths:
Stiff relibil Wow this thing rock

Weaknesses:
None what so ever

Bottom Line:
Buy this if you ever by a new shox

Girvin victor 3

proflex 855

Date Reviewed: May 17, 1999

Strengths:
A great shox flies down the hills and keeps the bike on the groud with just one shox

Weaknesses:
A bit heave but not to bad.

Bottom Line:
Pimp one shox designe

Victor 3

Proflex 855

Strengths:

Weaknesses:
A bit heave but not to bad.

Bottom Line:
Pimp one shox designe

Victor 3

Proflex 855

Raleigh Tamland 1 / Marin Lombard Elite

I am considering buying one of these bikes. It will mostly be used for commuting but will see many meandering road/ singletrack rides and the occasional gravel race. Thoughts? Geometry? Components?Read More »

2014 Rhythm Elite TLR 29er Wheelset

Has anyone had any issues with this wheel set ? I have a 2010 Rumblefish that I received when I broke my 2008 HiFi Deluxe, I am finally upgrading the fork to a 120mm Fox Float from the old 100mm 29RL that came on the HiFi. Now I need a 15mm thru front wheel and might as well update the wheel set.Read More »

2015 Enduro Elite vs 2015 Bronson Carbon S

HI guys, My Specialized dealer has given me a smoking deal on Specialized Enduro Elite (4200, thats 800 bucks off). The Elite comes with Pike fork, CCDB Inline shock, SRAM X01, Guide R brakes. It's basically the same components on the Expert model, except the Elite as an Aluminum frame instead of C ... Read More »

2015 Enduro Elite or Bronson Carbon R ?

[COLOR=#333333]Hi guys,[/COLOR] [COLOR=#333333]I was about to pull the trigger on a Bronson Carbon R ($3599) and a bicycle shop owner that I know offered me a great deal on a 2015 Enduro Elite 650B, $4250! [/COLOR] [COLOR=#333333]Now cambia cycle also may be able to upgrade the Bronson R to have t ... Read More »

2015 Enduro Elite VS Bronson

Hi guys, I was about to pull the trigger on a Bronson Carbon R ($3599) and a bicycle ship owner that I know offered me a great deal on a 2015 Enduro Elite 650B, $4250! Now cambia cycle also may be able to upgrade the Bronson R to have the Pike fork as well and the dropper for about 4100, but I do ... Read More »