Noleen Chubby LT Front Shock

4.22/5 (51 Reviews)

Noleen Chubby LT

Submitted by dave a Downhiller from Cortland, Ohio,U.S.

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2004

Strengths:    This product has almost no flaws but i would really like to knoe where i can get that elastomer spring kit please help me out

Weaknesses:    None that i have seen

Bottom Line:
This shock is really good but i cant seem to find the elastomer springs for it if anyone reads this please help me out and give me a site or a store that woudl sell them to me.

Similar Products Used:   Boxxer

Bike Setup:   2001 Iron Horse Sgs Dh

Submitted by bigripper a Downhiller from Boston/Seattle/Salt lake/Breck

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2003

Strengths:    5 inches of travel. Low maintenence. Affordable. Easy to upgrade to stiffer elastomers/springs.

Weaknesses:    Aren't compatable with disc brakes. Preload adjusters on top caps spin freely without adjusting anything if you peg them all the way to + or -. Disassembling the fork lowers from the uppers can be tricky if the allen bolt under the dropouts decides it wants to rotate freely.

Bottom Line:
This is a good entry level DH/FR fork. For the price that Nashbar was selling these, $125, You can't beat it. This isn't a dream fork, and it isn't something I would have chosen by request. But since K2 decided to spec the Beast with it, I ended up with it, used it and I have very few complaints. The worst thing about this fork is that you can't upgrade to disc brakes. OH, and For all the people who claim to bottom this fork out, or flex it, I'm calling BS! I'm 220lbs and do some pretty aggressive trail/DH and freeriding with this baby and I have'nt bottomed out or noticed it flex once! And if you have these concerns, you can upgrade the elastomers and/or springs to heavier ones. I am running stock springs w/5 tan and 1 pink elastomer in each leg. It's smooooooooth!

Favorite Trail:   Lynn/porcupine rim/victor falls/Vail

Purchased At:   came stock on my 98 beast

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox boxxer, jr. T

Bike Setup:   98 beast, chubby LT, XT/RaceFace drivetrain, Mavic 521's, Magura HS33 brakes

Submitted by BIT a Downhiller from chile

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2003

Strengths:    resistente a wascasos frontales
sensible igual para ser de elastomeros
facil de mantaner
los bujes duran
facil de mecanizar
fuelle sy retenes para barro que si sirven

Weaknesses:    flexi torceduras laterales
elastomero no es para siempre
solo para disco de 8"

Bottom Line:
aH?

Favorite Trail:   caleu

Purchased At:   jason usa

Similar Products Used:   hi 5

Bike Setup:   k2 beast nada de ke kebrarme

Submitted by russell from washington dc usa

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2003

Strengths:    it keeps my front wheel attached to my bike, thats about it.

Weaknesses:    flexy, heavy, bottoms out easily, cant adjust it

Bottom Line:
crappiest fork ever, but i got what i paid for a guess.

Purchased At:   stole it form a friend

Similar Products Used:   jr t, sherman firefly

Bike Setup:   dmr sidekick on trailpimps and other than that a light bike (yeh right)

Submitted by Jeffrey Slim a Downhiller from Stadskanaal, Netherlands

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2002

Strengths:    It's very good for freeriding. The Noleen Chubby lt has a great travel and is very strong.

Weaknesses:    The colour is bad : orange

Bottom Line:
It's a very good suspension with a large travel. It's very good for freeriding en stunts. This is a fork for beginners but is very good, except the colour.

Favorite Trail:   City centre

Purchased At:   6-03-2002

Similar Products Used:   Manitou x-vert 98

Bike Setup:   Merida fireball pro, Amouba handlebar, Vuelta airline1 wheels, Schwalbe fat Albert 26X2.35, LX rear derailleur, Truvativ stylo 2 Crank with a hussefelt chainguide, Magura hs33 raceline brakes.

Submitted by Luc v/d Wolde a Downhiller from Stadskanaal

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2002

Strengths:    Great suspension with a great travel. It's very good for freeriding. Like: Jumping, to take stairs, others thing like that.

Weaknesses:    Nothing

Bottom Line:
It's a great front suspension and it's very good for freeriding. It has a great travel. The noleen chubby lt's a looking good fork. It was orange and i've painted blue and red. Bye bye

Favorite Trail:   City centre

Purchased At:   26-07-2002

Similar Products Used:   I don't know

Bike Setup:   Giant Boulder fs1 aluxx front suspension 2003 series, Amouba handlebar, sram3.0 shifters and derailleurs, Vuelta airline 1 wheels.

Submitted by Blake Roberts from Houston,Tx

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2002

Strengths:    strong and cheap

Weaknesses:    small travel, bad mechanicks

Bottom Line:
good for grannies or 180 mile road rides

Favorite Trail:   The Bowl in the ant hills

Purchased At:   Bluff creek ranch

Similar Products Used:   rockshox

Bike Setup:   1999 k2 team rs superlight

Submitted by vinnie a Racer from USA

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2002

Strengths:    strong and durable. i took it on a downhill coarse and i cant say how nice it was. i was surprised to see how it took all of the bumps and how tight of a radius of a turn u could put on it(this dosent matter on the downhill coarse though)

Bottom Line:
this is a great fork and it will take what ever abuse u give it. u can not beat this thing. i put and extender cartrage on it and it is now a coil air assist and i love it. it now has 6+ for travel. it is great.

Similar Products Used:   JR T's

Submitted by steve a Downhiller from ny

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2002

Strengths:    you wont care when you kill it.

Weaknesses:    FLEX, you can bottem it out on any thing! cant put disc brakes on it.

Bottom Line:
the fork stinks like flamin sh*t, I dont know why i bought it. DONT buy this fork if you get it for some stupid reason get the spring kit for it from cambribike.com it will make it much better but dont worry it will still be VERY flexy and will still sink like flamin sh*t.

I would onley recomed it to some one on a low budget who is just learing to ride DH.

Similar Products Used:   nill

Bike Setup:   ds1, the chubby, shimano xt / lx, and mr dirt chain guide

Submitted by lwh a Cross Country Rider from charlotte nc

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2001

Strengths:    lots of travel, easy to maintain, very durable, price

Weaknesses:    color, who could this appeal to. Steering is a little slower, but not unbearable, it is a downhill fork so this should be expected.

Bottom Line:
I am 275 pounds(plus 100 oz.camelbak) and ride three to four times per week, I have had no problems with this shock. Overall I am extremely happy with it and feel confident that it will remain in one piece through the ride. I have gone over the front pretty hard twice and have not twisted it. The trails are dusty here but the boots have kept everything clean. If you hate working on your bike buy this shock set it to your liking and ride. At my weight and with the amount of singletrack ridden I bust alot of stuff but haven't even messed up the paint on this shock.

Favorite Trail:   catawba

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   rock shox, manitou

Bike Setup:   cross country alum frame

Submitted by Garson a Downhiller from WEST MASS!

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2001

Strengths:    Price (however, you get what you pay for), can be smooth if set up right.

Weaknesses:    Where should I begin? They are SOOO flexy, and I'm 5'10 and 135 lbs. They are really weak. My friend took out one elastomer stack on his one (which he sold after riding it a month), to see what it would ride like with softer elastomer, and bend the damn stanchion tubes riding once around a parking lot! They bottom out way to easily (I can bottom them out if I land on my back wheel when I rock forward on something as small as a three foot drop). Finally, I actually wore the internals out, causing the stanchions to move inside the lowers.

Bottom Line:
The fact that I'm a really agressive freerider/dirt jumper/urban rider probably has a lot to do with it. I have done some really big drops with it (almost 15') but my normal everyday sessions usually don't inlude anything over about 9'. Plus I'm 135lbs and 14 years old. I know that there are a whole bunch of people out there who put a bunch more abuse on forks than me. I imagine that these would be a good fork for anyone who is a less agressive, probably older casual trailrider, who needs the extra travel because of a bad back or something, and for these people, this fork is ideal. However, this won't stand up to the rigors of everyday freeriding. The only other use for them that I can see is if you are building a freeride bike, and don't have enough money for the fork you want, buy one of these and use it until you have the money for the fork you want, because I'm sure that these could hold up for a month or so without to many problems. For agressive riders, though, these forks just won't last.

Purchased At:   came stock on 1999 K2 beast

Similar Products Used:   Risse Trixxy 1999, 2001 (my friend who bent his stanchions bought a trixxy, and sent it back to get 2001 everything)white brother ud150, boxxer, marzocchi z1 dropoff qr20 (sick)

Bike Setup:   K2 beast, noleen chubby, blackspire chain guide (the best), Race face northshore xs isis splined cranks, odi lock on grips, mavic d521 wheels, kujos

Submitted by Mike D! a Weekend Warrior from Las Vegas, NV

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2001

Strengths:    Cheap, 4 inches travel, simple design, easy maintence, durable.

Weaknesses:    tight turning radius, paint chips easily but who cares

Bottom Line:
If you're low on dough, it's a great choice. If you can't afford a $500-$1000 fork this will do you fine. Has held up strong under 4-5ft drop ins onto slickrock. I weigh about a buck 80, and have never bottomed out. Gotta go with 5 flaming turds.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Submitted by John a Racer from Minnesota

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2001

Strengths:    inexpensive, 5 inches of travel for that cost?, look somewhat attractive, ok for jumping, head turner

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
i got this for a fork for christmas and have had nothing but good from them so hard. it was a great deal for the cost, free to me but cost my parents some dough. great for freeriding and some slalom/jumping. could even be used for aggressive x-country. a great buy!