McMahon Pipe XC Front Shock

Pipe XC

Submitted by Green Giant a Cross Country Rider from Michigan

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2002

Strengths:    Steers well.

Weaknesses:    it's way outdated now, and frankly compared to today's forks - it's now junk.

Bottom Line:
Felt I should throw this out there just in case someone is looking at one of these forks used. 4 years ago, it wasn't a bad fork as my original review stated. However if you are considering one for some strange reason used - pass. McMahon is out of business, and compared to today's forks - it's junk. Other than oversized stanchions, it has little going for it now. Stay away.

Similar Products Used:   Tons of forks

Bike Setup:   Was on a moonshot frameset.

Submitted by DW a Weekend Warrior from Denver, CO, US

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2000

Strengths:    Stiff, Menacing looks

Weaknesses:    Function, build quality, McMahon customer support

Bottom Line:
This fork is the Shaka Zulu triple clamp design, not the Pipe XC. Either fork will have slopped together build quality and very poor support from McMahon. The Shaka Zulu was locked up when I received it. I sent it to McMahon who let it set on a shelf for three months until I reported the package to USPS as a lost parcel. They finally "rebuilt" it and sent it back. It worked for a while (not very well) and has since locked up again. Unbelievable.

Favorite Trail:   Golden Gate

Similar Products Used:   White Brothers, Hanebrink

Bike Setup:   Diamond Back freeride - Full suspension

Submitted by Green Giant a cross-country rider from Illinois

Date Reviewed: December 4, 1998

Bottom Line:

Recently purchased this fork with a McMahon moonshot frameset. This is my intital fork review. For reference I was riding a marzochhi atom bomb before this and have owned various forks throughout the years. First off, this fork is stiff and rigid, even more so than the Marzocchi forks. Very little deflection, and at 210lbs, this fork goes where it's pointed. The legs are massive for a XC fork. Weight wise it is about the same as an atom bomb, but with 3 inches of travel. The fork contains a 5-1/2 or a 6 inch spring in one leg, with a negative spring, as well as a 3inch elastomer. The other leg contains a hydraulic cartridge and a rebound cartridge. The fork has an industrial look to it with no top caps, and a simple c-clip to hold things together.The ride, as I've stated it is very rigid so steering is outstanding. The suspension action is somewhere between a zokes, and a manitou. It feels a bit like a zyzxx fork, but not quite as plush. IMO it feels better than the manitou, but is not quite a plush as a zokes. I'm trying to decide what I like better. It doesn't blow through travel nearly as fast as a zokes, and I would describe the rate as linear, but with a hint of progression as the elastomers kick in. Right now I think a softer elastomer might just do it. I will do a follow-up review in time, and I still have my zokes so I will change forks back and forth in time to decide what I like better. My intital impression is that this is a good big guy fork, or bit hit fork. It is not quite as supple as the zokes, but feels more so than any other fork besides the zokes. With the weight it would be good for a rider who want's 3 inches of travel at about the same weight as an atom bomb. If you have a zokes, and think it blows through travel too quickly, don't want to add more weight, and need more rigidity, this just might be the fork for you. Make no mistake, it is a good fork, well built, but like anything everyone has a preference. However if you are considering a Manitou x-vert, or anything else in the 3 inch, not real light class, give it a serious look.