Marzocchi Z2 Superfly Front Shock

4.2/5 (45 Reviews)

Z2 Superfly

Submitted by Logan Felder a Racer from Salem, OR

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2002

Strengths:    The fork is stiff and handles corners with ease. It's light too.

Weaknesses:    The valves are behind the brake calipers and are very hard to get to.

Bottom Line:
This fork is extremly awesome once you get to the valves and can adjust it to the firmness you prefer. I run my fork stiff because it only has 63mm of travel and I want to use it when I really need it.

Favorite Trail:   Mrazek

Similar Products Used:   None. This is my first air fork.

Bike Setup:   2000 KHS Alite 4000 with XT/XTR mix(upgrading to all XTR)Mavic Cross Link wheels. XTR seatpost Selle Italia saddle easton EA70 bar

Submitted by Jason Nieman a Weekend Warrior from Fort Wayne, IN

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2002

Strengths:    Light weight, very smooth, extremely well constructed.

Weaknesses:    The air fill valves are poorly located.

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to my original review, and constitutes a long term test. After 3 years, I am just as happy with this fork as the first day. I completed my first overhaul yesterday, after all that time, and it was a snap (especially compared to some of the other makes). After three years of hard use, there was absolutely no sign of wear anywhere; seals, sliders, etc were all clean. The hard anodizing on the sliders makes a real difference.

There has been one nagging problem since the beginning; the air fill (schrader) on the right fork leg was finicky. I was able to pirate a schrader valve insert from a bike tube and it worked perfectly. If you have a leaky valve, try that trick before you call Marzocchi or a shop.

As to operation, I don't fiddle with forks much, but I haven't had to. I set my air to 35 lbs (I'm 190 lbs) and it is just perfect. Much more supple over the little bumps and roots than any of my other forks.

They seem to be a little more expensive than RS and Manitou, but if you buy one on a closeout, they are a decent buy. Mine came on a bike I purchased complete.

I find it funny that the guys I talk to at the shops (who can run anything) run these...doubt it is coincidence.

Favorite Trail:   Warsaw

Purchased At:   Excel Sports

Similar Products Used:   Mag 21, Specialized Mag 21 carbon, Rock Shox Judy, Specialized Judy carbon, Proflex fork.

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Obed with XTR.

Submitted by shaun a Cross Country Rider from moss beach, ca

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2001

Strengths:    stiffness, weight (for marzocchi). customer service. they fixed my discount on-line purchased forks for free, with seals that make the forks work much better. only one seal blew, but they replaced them both. really friendly service.

Weaknesses:    with first set of seals, stiction. and then one seal blew. the schrader valve is almost reachable, but it is not. maybe i have to wrong set up, fitting wise.

Bottom Line:
the stiffness compared to rockshox made them better no matter what sort of sticksion i was putting up with. when they blew, and i got them back, they worked as well as my atom bomb, but -1/2 lb (or whatever it is) lighter. i bought the 99 fork and i guess i got the updated seals under warranty. the customer service was exellent! i will be buying zokes again. (bargain basement on-line!)

Favorite Trail:   anything dirt

Purchased At:   on-line

Similar Products Used:   atom bomb, rockshok t2, old rockshok judy something or another.

Bike Setup:   bontrager race light with xt, xtr stuff and chris king hubs and head set. bontrager valiants and super x tires. rockshox suspension seat post. (i like it)

Submitted by BH a Cross Country Rider from Burbank, CA

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2001

Strengths:    Light, tunable, sturdy, looks nice

Weaknesses:    Too much stiction, location of damper screws, poor quality owners manual with many errors, very low travel

Bottom Line:
This fork is light (for a Marzocchi) at 3.25 pounds. Its a great fork for road riding but not so good in the dirt. My Atom is much more plush and the damping can be adjusted on the fly. I think I'm only getting about 30 to 40 mm of travel on the Super. Over the course of the year, I changed the damping oil twice but only just recently the air chamber oil (which requires more of a teardown). I refilled the air chambers with 5ccs each instead of 7cc (not 77 as indicated in one part of the manual) which didn't help increase the travel any. The new oil did slightly reduce the stiction though. This would make a good racing fork because the stiction minimizes the bobbing but it doesn't give anywhere close to the quality ride of the Atom. Oh, BTW with the XTR brakes and the M supplied adapter the fork is easy to fill with air.

Value: for $259, I can't complain
Rating: 2 for dirt, 5 for road ave. 3.5 rounded up to 4

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   99 Z2 Atom Bomb, Manitou Magnum, Z1 CR, Old Headshock

Bike Setup:   Voodoo Bizango HT, XTR brakes

Submitted by BeN a Racer from WA

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2001

Strengths:    Super Light/Plenty of travel

Weaknesses:    Leaky seals

Bottom Line:
This fork is awsome. The smoothest I've used yet. There are some pretty gnarly trails around my house, and this thing soaks up all bumps; big and small. It's also nice and light. Anyone who wants a light and ultra-plush fork.

Favorite Trail:   Snoqualmie Pass

Purchased At:   Tacoma Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Headshok/Manitou Mach 5/Judy SL

Bike Setup:   well spec'd Bianchi

Submitted by Tommy Partridge a Cross Country Rider from Chester, Cheshire, England

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2000

Strengths:    They're really light compared to other forks I've had, I was going to get Z1 Drop Offs but these were so much lighter. Something like 2.9lbs

Weaknesses:    Unfortunately they have no disk mounts. Although the schraeder valves are hard to get a pump to my forks came with a schraeder extention valve which makes the valve more accessable.

Bottom Line:
The forks so far do seem to be really good how ever the air pressure in them is a little low and i need a pump with a pressure indicator, which aparantly cost a bit. I ride XC and Trial on the streets doing trix and drop offs. So far they haven't bottomd out but I'm still getting sed to the general feel of the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Coed-Y-Brenin

Purchased At:   Merlin Cycles

Similar Products Used:   RSTs, no comparrison

Bike Setup:   I have an Aluminium special Edition KONA BLAST. I have all the standard components on at the mo like Avid brakes etc.

Submitted by Milo a Cross Country Rider from Greenwood, SC

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2000

Strengths:    Light, Stiff, Looks

Weaknesses:    Not for you if you are after the plushest thing on the market.

Bottom Line:
I like the fork a lot. I am not one who is intrigued by a lot of plush travel so it suits me well. I have had a couple of problems, first, like everyone else... leaky seals. The second is a broken crown. It cracked on the right side and I caught it before it completely failed. I always use a torque wrench and torque the bolts according to Marzocchi's recommendations (really, I am a mechanical engineer and although I didn't learn much in 6 years of school I did learn the value of proper torque especially when working with materials such as aluminum). I called Marzocchi expecting to get a curt answer but instead they told me to send the fork back for a full warrantee. When I got it back (in less than 2 weeks) they had been thoughtful enough to press out my steerer tube so I didn't have to recut it, replace the seals, replace the valves, replace the oil and clean the entire fork. Bottom line, things break (insert long and expensive list here) but Marzocchi stands behind their stuff when it does.

Favorite Trail:   Issaqueena

Purchased At:   Mail Order

Similar Products Used:   All of them

Bike Setup:   VooDoo Canzo, XT, Syncros, WTB, LP Composites

Submitted by woodyak a Cross Country Rider from Rockport, MA

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2000

Strengths:    Good overall feeling. Dampening works well.

Weaknesses:    Seals broke after very little use. The air valves are hidden behind my XT brakes forcing me to remove them to inflate this leaky shock.

Bottom Line:
The shocks felt great when they were working. I'm not a hardcore rider so it took very little stress to break the seals. I've sent the shock in for warranty repair. According to previous posters the new updated seals will keep this from happening again. I hope they are right.

Favorite Trail:   Dogtown

Purchased At:   Part of a used bike purchase

Similar Products Used:   Judys.

Bike Setup:   Klein Mantra, Atacs, WTB Kevlars, Easton Carbon Bars.

Submitted by Brendan a Cross Country Rider from Philadelphia, PA

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2000

Strengths:    Light, Plush

Weaknesses:    Valves leak, seals bad and valves are in bad place.

Bottom Line:
This shock is plush, however, your gone to have to fix some things before it is at it's peak. The valves leak so you have to replace them($10 if that). Then, the seals that separate the air and oil leak causing the leg or legs to deflate. Send it to Marzocchi and they will fix it. Bottom line--you souldn't have to go thru this if it was a good shock.

Favorite Trail:   Jim Thorp

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shock

Bike Setup:   Schwinn

Submitted by brad from soquel, ca

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2000

Strengths:    Bullet-proof; stable; adjustable; cheap

Weaknesses:    Okay the air valves are in a funky place.

Bottom Line:
I have ridden this shock for a year and its the best XC shock I can imagine. The most obvious advantage over a Rock Shox is the stability. Most riders who converted from a rigid shock to a Judy were shocked by how flexy these shocks were (I hear the new Psylo finally solved the problem by crossing a Manitou with a Marzocchi). Anyway this shock is rock solid at any speed. It's not made for big drops, but hey it's a XC shock. If your up to ten foot drops buy a Z1! My advice is lots a dampening (6-8 turns). Marzocchi recommends the fork pressure 2.5 bar??? turns out that's anout 46 lbs. I say 30 lbs, any more pressure and the shock doesn't move. Check the fork pressure about every 2-3 months. If you like ride up hill as fast as you ride down this is your shock.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Manitou SX, Judy XC

Bike Setup:   Bontrager

Submitted by Carlos a Weekend Warrior from Va Beach, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2000

Strengths:    Looks.Stiff.Light.Plush.Low maintenance.

Weaknesses:    Location of air valves. Would not have paid >$600. No disk brake mount.

Bottom Line:
First time I rode I did not even think about the fork. It did what it was supposed to do without me having to think about it(I could focus on the trail). Stiff compared to anything RockShox. Low maintenance(I have fork boots on mine). I only need to check the pressure once every couple of months, large volume/low pressure chamber does its job. I will not look to buy another fork unless I have need for more travel or want to get disk brakes.

Favorite Trail:   York River State Park, Williamsburg, VA

Purchased At:   riding buddy(used 1 season and rebuilt )

Similar Products Used:   RS Judy C

Bike Setup:   '99 Schwinn Moab 2, XT drive, few other upgrades

Submitted by james a Cross Country Rider from burbank,CA

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2000

Strengths:    Strength, Durability, Tunability, Finish

Weaknesses:    Bobs when climbing out of the saddle

Bottom Line:
This is my second review. I have about 2000 miles on the fork now. My ride is a 19.5 inch Voodoo Bizango which is a steel hardtail built with Reynolds 853. I weigh 200 pounds, am an extremely aggressive rider, and ride mainly on smooth trails or rough pavement. Prior to getting this bike/fork I had been riding a 10 year old rigid Fisher HK2. I didn't have any experience with suspension forks so I did a lot of research and picked this one when I built my bike. I purchased this fork mainly because I wanted the lightness and tunability of an air fork and the stoutness of a Marzocchi. The last thing I want is face first trip into the ground.

I am generally happy with the fork with a few exceptions. The supplied owner's manual really sucks. The manual gives a very poor explanation of how this fork works and how to set it up. I initially ran way too little damping and too much air pressure. I recently discovered the Marzocchi website which has a downloadable tuning manual that is really great. I now know that the air pressure controls not only the spring rate of the fork but the amount of sag as well. The damping screws screw out from all the way turned clockwise in. The damping is actually rebound damping so it only works in one direction (not like a shock absorber on your car which works in both directions). The rebound damping works to slow the return of the fork back to its original position after a bump. The rebound damping is basically a screw that adjusts the orifice (hole) size in which oil flows. Turning the screw counter clockwise increases the orifice size and decreases the damping. The larger the orifice, the lower the damping, the faster the oil moves, and the faster the fork rebounds. The smaller the orifice, the higher the damping, the slower the oil moves, and the slower the fork rebounds. The amount of damping you need has a lot to do with how much pressure your inflate the shock to and a little to do with personal preference and tuning to the road conditions. More air pressure makes the shock rebound faster so more damping is required (say 3 turns out instead of 5). There is a really great chart for setting up all of the forks in the Marzocchi line on the website. This is a fork for tinkerers. Forget this fork if you are a set-it-and-leave-it kind of guy (or gal).

Now that I have the fork dialed into my weight and the type of riding that I do, it works much better. I generally run 45 to 48 psi in each leg and 3 turns out on each damping screw. As for climbing with this fork, nothing climbs like my rigid HK2. It does bob quite a bit in climbing and when sprinting. I think there is a problem inherent with the design of this fork in that the spring rate does not ramp up quickly enough on compression. I find myself sitting more in the climbs to maintain my speed and the smoothness of my pedaling. As far as getting air into it, I'm running XTR brakes and have no problems with clearance using the supplied adapter.

My only other gripe about this fork is the HUGE UGLY LOGOs. At least Marzocchi uses decals that are easy to remove. Now my fork looks really trick in "stealth" mode (and doesn't look like a billboard). Some more complaints, not with the ‘99 forks but with the ‘00s. The new arch has lost the "CNC" coolness that my ‘99 has. The lack of 70mm travel models for the frames still designed to run short travel forks. (I am currently building a second bike for back up, a Breezer Lightning. With a ‘99 Z2 Atom Bomb with 70 mm travel, the head angle slackened to 70 degrees from the manufacturer specified 71.5.) The boltless cryofit design is good though, a few less bolts to have to keep tight is always nice. Happy trails.

Favorite Trail:   Mulholland

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   Magnum, Judy (on my buddies bikes)

Bike Setup:   2000 Voodoo Bizango, 99 Superfly

Submitted by pragma a Cross Country Rider from Bradford, Ont. Canada

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2000

Strengths:    tracks well. Excellent Factory support!

Weaknesses:    bad oil seals first run - factory and reps fix'm for next to nothing and everythings roses

Bottom Line:
R.T.F.M. Took me a long time to get it working well. Sent it back in to get the seals redone. It's been an amazing performer since. Keep it oil like the manual says and you'll be laughing. Don't listen to the winers THIS IS an AMAZING FORK.

Favorite Trail:   Kolapore

Similar Products Used:   ....you know

Bike Setup:   FSR-XC - stock + Magura breaks and Z2.Super Fly

Submitted by meado a Cross Country Rider from denver

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2000

Strengths:    Marzocchi; need I elaborate?

Weaknesses:    setting the little guy up

Bottom Line:
After reading some reviews of this shock I had to wonder if I was making the right purchase. At $250 or so from price point I figured what the hey!

I have been bombing on this fork just like my Z1 BAM on my Heckler with zero problems. I could not help but compare the ride to my Z1 with an 1.25in less travel. I weigh 190lbs BTW.

The set-up is the key! It took me about two weeks of riding before I got the pressure and rebound right. At first I was not getting all the travel, now I am getting 70mm of super plush Z1 like smoothness. A tip to the naysayers: try using the Marzocchi pump rather than a Fox or Cane Creek type pump. I had a devil of a time getting the pressure right with my Fox HP.

I may have not had it long enough to experience seal problems, my Z1 had seal problems but once fixed it was fine. Actually once fixed the ride was incredible! Should this happen big whoop. Replace the seals, super ride once again.

A hearty thank you to Marzocchi for another A++ product.

Favorite Trail:   any