Marzocchi Z2 Bam 98 Front Shock

4.67/5 (98 Reviews)

Marzocchi Z2 Bam 98

Submitted by Mike Dyck a Cross Country Rider from parksville BC Canada

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2004

Strengths:    Everything (craftmanship)

Weaknesses:    N/A

Bottom Line:
I wrote an article in 1998 about these forks. THERE GREAT ive changed the oil 4 times since 1998 and there still as good as new!! WIll recomend these shocks to anyone!!!

Favorite Trail:   The abyss

Purchased At:   Ocean side Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Rock shoxs

Bike Setup:   FS, Xtr parts

Submitted by Clivo Phillllips a Cross Country Rider from Holmfirth,West,Yorkshire,England

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2002

Strengths:    Reliabilty, smoothness, low maintenance, adjustabilty, a hardcore XC riders dream.

Weaknesses:    None, but i'm told its heavy.

Bottom Line:
I've recently upgraded my stock EVO2, as above. The one thing I've kept is my three year-old Z2 Bams. These things are excellent. I've ridden many other bikes owned by friends with much newer forks and I have not been tempted. The Z2 Bams offer a superb ride, and keep it that way with little or no maintainence, which means maximum time on the trail.

Favorite Trail:   Coed y Brenin, North Wales

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Comp Black, RST 461, Judy SL, Rockshox Duke SL

Bike Setup:   Orange EVO2,Hope minis,317's, Hope Hubs, Titec bars, stem etc Shram Attack Shifters, Shimano drive train.

Submitted by 1500MPG a Cross Country Rider from Michigan

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2002

Strengths:    great price, sturdy, sounds cool when dampening, IS disc brake mounts.

Weaknesses:    weight but I expect to get years of low/no service out of this fork.

Bottom Line:
great purchase, I got 2 for $300 and am loving them. I'm a Marzocchi customer for a long long time now.

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   my first oil/coil front shock, manitou 3 elastomer.

Bike Setup:   one on a hardtail commuter bike, the other on my full suspension bike with shimano disc brakes.

Submitted by DAVID HAKIMI a Weekend Warrior from DENVER,COLORADO,USA

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2002

Strengths:    VERY SMOOTH, NO PLASTIC KNOBS, OBVIOUS HIGH QUALITY CONSTRUCTION

Weaknesses:    NOT STIFF ENOUGH TO USE WITH DISK BRAKES, EVEN THOUGH IT HAS TABS TO MOUNT THEM. I USE IT WITH AVID MECHANICALS, AND IT VISIBLY BENDS BACK BY A FULL INCH WHEN THE BRAKES ARE APPLIED! UGLY CROWN ASSEMBLY, THE NEW ONE PIECE CROWN IS MUCH SMOOTHER LOOKING.

Bottom Line:
BEFORE I EVER INSTALLED THE FORK, I INSTALLED THE EXTRA HEAVY SPRINGS AND ADJUSTED THE OIL HEIGHT AND WEIGHT AS RECOMMENDED BY MARZOCCHI. HOWEVER, I DID NOT SLOW DOWN THE REBOUND ADJUSTMENT ANY AFTER DOING THIS. BIG MISTAKE!!! THE EXTRA HEAVY SPRINGS CAUSED IT TO REBOUND SO FAST THAT IT TOPPED OUT SEVERELY AND TOTALLY DESTROYED THE REBOUND CARTRIDGES ON THE FIRST RIDE! HOWEVER MARZOCCHI REPLACED THEM AT NO CHARGE AND IT FEELS GREAT NOW. THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THE FACT THAT IT IS NOT LATERALLY STIFF ENOUGH FOR DISC BRAKES, EVEN THOUGH IT HAS TABS TO MOUNT THEM. IT ALSO IS TOO SHORT ON TRAVEL TO SOAK UP ANY MAJOR TRAIL OBSTACLES, I TOOK A FAMILIAR OBSTACLE THAT THE SC-90 WHITE BROTHERS REGULARLY SOAKS UP WITH EASE, AND WRECKED HARD BECAUSE IT OVERWHELMED THE 73MM Z2 BAM. FINAL VERDICT: FEELS GOOD ON RELATIVELY SMOOTH XC TRAILS, BUT NOT DESIGNED FOR FREERIDING BY ANY MEANS. V-BRAKES ARE ALSO THE WAY YOU SHOULD GO WITH IT AS WELL, AS THEY WON'T FLEX THE LEGS LIKE DISCS DO. BUY IT IF YOU WANT A HIGH QUALITY FORK TO USE WITH V-BRAKES, AND CAN LIVE WITHOUT A LOT OF TRAVEL. PROBABLY A GREAT MATCH FOR A HARDTAIL OR SOFT-TAIL, BUT IT ISN'T WELL MATCHED TO ANYTHING WITH MORE THAN 3 INCHES REAR TRAVEL.

Purchased At:   PRICE POINT

Similar Products Used:   WHITE BROTHERS SC-90, MANITOU MACH 5, ROCK SHOCK JUDY

Bike Setup:   GIANT NRS, FULLY CUSTOMIZED. THOMPSON POST AND STEM, AVID MECHANICALS AND AVID ULTIMATE V LEVERS, RED MAVIC 517'S WITH HAYES ELITE HUBS, RETROFITTED TO 8 SPEED FOR RELIABILITY, ALL XT AND XTR.

Submitted by Fluffy a Weekend Warrior from Belgium

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2001

Strengths:    Very plush, low maintenance, easy to adjust, perfect for my riding style.

Weaknesses:    Maybe the weight, but that's not an issue for me. I know I can trust this fork.

Bottom Line:
I had it serviced once in 3 years ($50), it still feels brand new. It's plush, strong, ... Hey, it even looks good! My next fork will definetely be another Marzocchi!

Purchased At:   Van Eyck

Similar Products Used:   RST Mozo Pro, RS Judy, Lefty

Bike Setup:   Mavic wheels, Deore LX, Cane Creek, Kore, ...

Submitted by EDOUBLE a Cross Country Rider from WHEATLEY HEIGHTS ,NY

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2001

Strengths:    STIFFNESS, PLUSH,TRACKING, LOW MAINT.

Weaknesses:    NADA

Bottom Line:
BEING 240LBS, I CHANGED THE SPRINGS BEFORE I EVER RODE IT TO THE EXTRA HEAVY ONES.THE JUDY AND MANITOU SXR ARE GOOD FORKS FOR THE MONEY BUT THE Z2.BAM IS AWESOME. IT FLATTENS THE TRAIL YET DOSNT BOB ON THE CLIMBS.ITS TRACKING IS LIKE HAVING A RIGID FORK, NO FLEX WHATSOEVER!. IT DONT GET NO BETTER THAN THIS! SURE AIR FORKS ARE LIGHTER WEIGHT BUT SO IS THERE ALL AROUND PERFORMANCE.

Favorite Trail:   DAWISS' IN PHILLY

Purchased At:   PRICEPOINT

Similar Products Used:   JUDY XC 00',MANITOU

Bike Setup:   JAMIS DRAGON, Z2.BAM,RYNO-LITE'S W/XT HUBS,LX CRANK, XT DERAILLEURS, GRIPSHIFTERS, AVID BRAKES AND LEVERS, TIME PEDALS, HUTCHINSON PYTHON AIR LITES

Submitted by kyle a Cross Country Rider from michigan

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2001

Strengths:    very plush. very adjustable.

Weaknesses:    weight but not enough to make much difrence

Bottom Line:
i have dislocated both sholders in the past year and have no pain on big hits or wash boarded trails with my bomber. great fork. great price for the quality. weight is not really noticable.

Favorite Trail:   the one not taken

Purchased At:   price point

Similar Products Used:   manitu magnum

Bike Setup:   trek 6000

Submitted by Jon Evans a Weekend Warrior from Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2001

Strengths:    No flex, plush bump absorption, looks great, nice view when behind the handle bars, other riders stare at your forks

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
These forks rock! They truly make me happy inside when I rode for the first time. I am sold on Marzocchi. I only have previous Judy XLs to compare with, and they are so much better. Its almost as dramatic a difference from rigid forks to suspension forks! When I first bought them, I worried because they didn't look like they had enough travel to take the hard hits. Don't let the looks deceive you. They work as good as they look.

Favorite Trail:   Cobblestone, Annadel

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Judy XL

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Factory FS, XT components

Submitted by Kurt Knock a Cross Country Rider from Duncan, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2000

Strengths:    Totally reliable!

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
I have never seen such a reliable and consistent fork. The action is very progressive, yet supple in the beginning of the stroke. I only change the oil in this fork once a year and this winter I'll put some new boots over the legs, they are starting to get a little shabby. Perfect cross country fork for those who still ride a hardtail. Low (almost no) maintenece and as close to perfect action makes this the fork to beat!

Favorite Trail:   no hope

Purchased At:   Experience Cycling

Similar Products Used:   Just about everything out there.

Bike Setup:   A hartail cross country bike - like you really care.

Submitted by Kent a Cross Country Rider from Bluffton, IN

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
Hope this fork stacks up to all of the favorable reviews I have read. I ordered the fork after breaking the brake brace on my Rock Shock Judy XC. Added weight won't be a problem as long as it is stronger than the Judy..hope hope.

Favorite Trail:   Huntington

Purchased At:   Price Point

Submitted by Allan Van Metre a Cross Country Rider from Hood River

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2000

Strengths:    It is an inredible buy and looks awesome

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
They are awesome, been on one ride, endoed and didn't hurt them. They kick!!

Favorite Trail:   Post Canyon

Purchased At:   prive point

Similar Products Used:   Jett XC

Bike Setup:   GT Backwoods with LX

Submitted by Jake a Weekend Warrior from Salem Ma USA

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2000

Strengths:    Buy this fork. You cannot get a fork half this good for 180 bucks. plush and stiff. This fork is very close to being the perfect XC fork.

Weaknesses:    honestly none.

Bottom Line:
The first time you ride it dialed in I gaurentee you will that you will thank me or anyone else who convinced you to buy this fork. So what if its a 98 model you don't really think the technolodgy has changed behind these shocks do you. Ridden z2 xfly 2000 model and like this better. Its $179 what kind of risk are you running choosing it over a jett XC.

Go order it already and if you feel that you need to spend more money to get a good fork email me . I will give you my address and you can send me four hundred to six hundred dollars and I will buy one off of price line and resell it to you at a the above price.

Favorite Trail:   Salem Woods

Purchased At:   price point

Similar Products Used:   z2 xfly

Bike Setup:   KHS hardtail frame with LX components.

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from Fort Collins, CO USA

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2000

Strengths:    It does exactly what a shock is supposed to do.

Bottom Line:
These reviews get a bit redundant. That's because the Z2 is so far and away superior that folks can't help but to be happy with it. I am amazed at the difference this shock makes. It really flattens out the small stuff and does a fine job with the big hits. As I was riding one of our local trails, I started wondering whether someone had come through with a rake and smoothed the trail. The difference was staggering.

The additional weight can't be listed as a weakness. It's not a design flaw. It's just a necessary by-product of an open bath and spring system and it's this system that makes the shock so great. The fact that the damping can actually be tuned is terrific. All my past shocks claimed this as possible, but that's rubbish. Maybe I'm not "in touch with my bike", but I could never feel any difference after adjusting the damping in the Judys or Manitou. Adjust the Z2's damping and you feel it right away.

I couldn't be happier with this purchase. 101 burnt bananas.

Favorite Trail:   From my couch to the kitchen