Marzocchi Z2 Atom Bomb 98 Front Shock

4.67/5 (178 Reviews)

Marzocchi Z2 Atom Bomb 98

Submitted by William a Weekend Warrior from Toronto On Canada

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2007

Strengths:    68mm of pure travel!!!!

Weaknesses:    a bit heavy, nearly the same weight as my Judy xc 02

Bottom Line:
I was using my Judy XC 02 that has 100mm, i bought the bomb as a back up fork for my bike, and i was thinking about using it after i read the reviews from other users, but how can a fork that has 68mm of travel can out run a 100mm fork?

i don't know what to say, i was having doubts at first, bottoming it out, and so on, but after turning it up, and riding it on my fav xc trial. i'm not going back to the judy, i can't belive it has 68mm travel, it is the best 68mm you can get, even better then my z3 m80

Similar Products Used:   Z3 M80, Z3.5

Bike Setup:   Dirt Research, 9sp.

Submitted by john su a Cross Country Rider from los angeles, ca

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2004

Strengths:    stiff/strong, reliable, durable, smooth travel

Weaknesses:    weight, only 65mm, puke green color (although good paint, just didn't match my racer red bike)

Bottom Line:
built up my new hardtail with a frame/fork from ebay $250. the z2 had major stichion, so i dropped it off with marzocchi (30minutes from me) and after an oil and seal change, smooth as butter!

stiffness is noticable, not getting shaken off line when going over rocks, no brake rub when climbing out of the saddle. next time i need an overhaul, i'll ask to put in the heavy springs. i'm 175lbs 6' and they put in the standard 7.5wt oil but i'm pretty sure the springs in it are still stock... no bottoming otu yet, but it does feel "soft". i'll play with the preload and see if that helps.

otherwise, a great upgrade over my old shocks. maybe in a couple years i'll upgrade to a marathon 80mm (pretty much same fork as the z2 from what i've been told) for more travel. weight from the marzocchi manual says 3.7lbs, on the heavier side for race, but for hard xc riding that i do and for my weight, i think it's worth it.

Favorite Trail:   el prieto, ken burton, la tuna, backbone

Similar Products Used:   rs quadra, rs indy, manitou sx-r

Bike Setup:   99 jamis dragon 853, 98 atom, race face turbine, xtr 8 speed, xtr v brakes, titus stem/flat bar, eggbeaters, selle transam flite

Submitted by Rick a Cross Country Rider from Charlottesville VA USA

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2004

Strengths:    bombproof, bombproof, bombproof

Bottom Line:
Bought this fork in June 1998 and everyone said "too heavy." Ha! Best fork ever made. Seals replaced 3 times and about 6 oil changes. Takes everything thrown at it and asks for more. Was way ahead of its time in '98, and still holds its own without a whimper. And I ride whenever I can year round.

Always buy quality and you'll never be disappointed.

Purchased At:   speedgoat

Bike Setup:   sugar, chris king, syncros, xtr, thompson, roll-x, monkeylite, wtb saddle

Submitted by Ruinane a Cross Country Rider from Utah

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2003

Strengths:    Plush and smooth. 1 inch steerer and removable too!

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
Generally, I've been able to outride most people on downhill sections without shocks so I always thought they were over-rated. Wow!

The first couple of times I rode with it, I was actually slower due to the extra weight. However, that's because it took my a while to have faith that the fork would keep my wheel on the ground; I wasn't going as fast downhill as I could have. Now, if for some reason I can't take the smoothest line I can still maintain speed and not feel like I'm risking life and limb. I'm able to go faster both downhill and up. I'm also able to get full use of my avid mag front brake. Before this shock, I couldn't because my wheel was always being thrown off the ground and I didn't want the wheel to land with such powerful brakes being used. Now, I don't even have to worry about feathering the front brake; it's rare that my wheel hits something big enough to lift it off the ground. I can't imagine why someone would need more than 80mm of travel, but then again, I couldn't imagine why someone would need a front shock either.

I'm glad Marzocchi isn't as popular anymore. I got this thing barely used, not a scratch on it, for on $85!

Purchased At:   ebay (a poor biker's dream)

Similar Products Used:   rigid fork

Bike Setup:   Stock 1993 Kona Lava Dome

Submitted by Baldo a Cross Country Rider from Belmont, California,U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2003

Strengths:    Absolutely Bombproof. Dependable,smooth,easily adjustable, light, I mean really light! Easy to service. Takes on all types of terrain, rocks,logs, ruts, drops. Never ceases to amaze at how much abuse it can take and always "rebounds" back to take more. Just ride and forget about it...it won't let you down. Change the oil and tailor to your weight with spring rate. I use the white springs and adjust to use about all the travel it has. Rides over anything absorbing big and small. Take advantage of one of the best forks ever!
Marzocchi and the Italians were on Top of the Market at one time. With Fox entering the mix Marzocchi is not as popular, but that's how you find the bargains. Trust me,I've done the research and have been pounding this fork for two solid years.Buy it if you ride some pretty technical trails,but don't risk your life by taking outrages chances.

Weaknesses:    None that I can find.

Bottom Line:
I live to ride and I love this hardtail. Marzocchi made the package complete.

Go Ride!!!!!!!! As IMBA puts it... Long Live Long Rides!

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs, Waterdog, El Corte Madera

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   No comparison. So glad that SRAM purchased RockShox. Hope to see some better products in future

Bike Setup:   1997 Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, Full XTR & XT, Time ATAC pedals, Rockshox suspension seatpost,Nukeproof front hub, Mavic rims,WTB SST98 saddle,LP Carbon Fiber handlebars, Titec 100 Carbon Fiber Bar Ends, Titanium Skewers, Kool Stop brakes, Titanium 8 speed cassette.

Submitted by Ian a Cross Country Rider from Long Beach, Ca

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2002

Strengths:    Stiffest fork I've run.
As the name states, bombproof.

Weaknesses:    No compresswion adjuster or disk mount.

Bottom Line:
I have battered this fork as much as possible and it still rides smooth. From 4 foot drops to mud bogging, I have never had any trouble with it. The oil is finally starting to stick from New Mexico dust. If you can find one, this is still a good all-purpose fork.

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Lowe Toll Road

Purchased At:   Bike shop

Similar Products Used:   96 RS Quadra 21, 98 RS Indy C LT, 2001 RS Judy TT

Bike Setup:   96 DBR V-Link with LX drivetrain and Avid brakes.

Submitted by shaun a Cross Country Rider from moss beach cali

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2002

Strengths:    the company behind the fork, rigidity, durable, tuneable, precise, feel, looks cool, value.

Weaknesses:    aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Bottom Line:
im 210, so i put in the heavy springs (it's a breeze), and dialed it in. that was 2 1/2 years ago. a great fork, never a problem. i trust it. i had all sorts of problems with my 00 x fly, but Marzocchi took care of them and then some. really solid products and great customer service. why is that such a rare combo? (well, based on all the places i have worked, it is not that hard to understand)

Favorite Trail:   dirt

Purchased At:   on line

Similar Products Used:   a couple of judy's, zoke xfly.

Bike Setup:   single speed bonti

Submitted by Jimmy a Weekend Warrior from Calgary Alberta, used 2 live in Vancouver.

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2001

Strengths:    Virtually bombproof
Set and forget adjustability
The metallic lime-green colour still looks phat on my bike
Marzocchi's Baby!!!

Weaknesses:    These were my competition forks for racing when I was in high school. Now they've become my freeride forks(until I get new ones) and I just gotta say that I still can't find anything about them to complain about.

Bottom Line:
Believe it or not I am able to ride these forks off of
5-6 foot drops on to flat landings without bottoming them.
I do only weigh 130 lbs. Heck, maybe I just know how to land properly. Anyways during the last 3 years the only thing that broke on these forks was the oil seal and I rode the damn things for 2 months before I had the seal fixed. They had only enough oil left in them for lubrication, no compression or rebound damping. After they were fixed they rode just as good as the day I broke them in. I couldn't believe it. I know that not too many people are in the market for these forks, but if you are reading this and you are in the market for some good forks I seriously suggest that you consider buying a product from the folks at Marzocchi. I've heard too many horror stories about people who rode other brands (like RockSux) who's forks have completely locked out or worse yet, broke their stanction tubes(Tubes which slide into the legs) riding off drops like the ones I described earlier.
In 2002 I will be looking to buy a real freeride bike and I will not buy a bike unless it's fitted with a Marzocchi fork.

Favorite Trail:   urban freeriding

Purchased At:   Carlton Cycle in Vancouver BC.

Similar Products Used:   95'Marzocchi Zokes (Crap)
96'Old school Manitou Magnum (ok)
99'Marzocchi Monster T's (sweet)
01'RockSux Psylo's (trendy crap)

Bike Setup:   99'Norco Torrent: 99'LX V-brakes, 99'LX cranks,
00'XT drivetrain, Rhyno Lite's, Panaracer Fire XC Pro's

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2001

Strengths:    Virtually bombproof
Set and forget adjustability
The metallic lime-green colour still looks phat on my bike
Marzocchi's Baby!!!

Bottom Line:
Believe it or not I am able to ride these forks off of
5-6 foot drops on to flat landings without bottoming them.

Favorite Trail:   urban freeriding

Purchased At:   Carlton Cycle in Vancouver BC.

Similar Products Used:   95'Marzocchi Zokes (Crap)
96'Old school Manitou Magnum (ok)
99'Marzocchi Monster T's (sweet)
01'RockSux Psylo's (trendy crap)

Bike Setup:   99'Norco Torrent: 99'LX V-brakes, 99'LX cranks,
00'XT drivetrain, Rhyno Lite's, Panaracer Fire XC Pro's

Submitted by Tony :) Fukoff from NY

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2001

Strengths:    Durable, plush, infinately tunable and easily repairable. Absolutely the best customer service, for any bike company, these guys really stand behind their products.

Weaknesses:    maybe for some the weight is an issue, not for me.

Bottom Line:
Best fork made, have had it for three plus years and has held up perfectly. Great all around tuning possibilities, easily repairable on or off the trail, it will get you back whence you came. Bent the front brace and it was warrantied by Marzocchi customer service (even though it was definately out of warranty), on top of this they changed the oil free of charge. Gotta love those guys!

Favorite Trail:   Bethpage

Purchased At:   MTBR.com

Similar Products Used:   Various White Bros & Rock Shox forks.

Bike Setup:   2000 Rocky Mountain Extreme Race.

Submitted by Serge a Cross Country Rider from Santa Cruz

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2000

Strengths:    plush, excellent steering control

Weaknesses:    stock spring too soft

Bottom Line:
Picked up this fork a while back in the marketplace for a wicked price. Great fork!! All the hype is true. Haven't noticed the extra weight compared to the 97 FS-ti, but much more plush and adjustable.
Ordered the speedbomb kit- can't tell much difference w/ extra travel but the spring rate MUCH better.

Favorite Trail:   soquel demo

Purchased At:   mtbr.com/marketplace

Similar Products Used:   mag 21, quadra 21r, judy fsx, FS-ti

Bike Setup:   '96 M2, xt/xtr drivetrain(old school), rhyno lites, avid AR's w/SD levers, raceface post, bontrager stem & can't forget the ol' Scott AT bars

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Layton, UT

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2000

Strengths:    rigidity, smoothness, travel, looks

Weaknesses:    not fully adjustable externally

Bottom Line:
This fork ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is nothing out there as plush as a Marzocchi, PERIOD! I am planing on purchasing a new fork soon and it will be another Atom. I ride a lot of rocky trails and the trail just disappears under this fork. I have had the oil replaced once and it is still like new. I have only bottomed it out three times. It rides so smooth you hardly notice washboards or small bumps and bigger bumps are noticibly smoother. The weight is not even noticible. In my opinion, it actually helps keep the front down during long climbs. I have run the fork without the boots for its entire life and have had no problems with leakage. I love this fork and the brand.

Favorite Trail:   Benches of Ogden

Purchased At:   supergo.com

Similar Products Used:   Manitou FS

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Homegrown, LX-XTR components, Thompson seatpost

Submitted by Kevin S a Cross Country Rider from Venice, CA USA

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2000

Strengths:    Performance
Reliability
Tuning possibilities

Weaknesses:    Tuning possibilities will need to be explored because the stock springs are too soft for anyone heavier than a small child, and the stock oil level makes the spring rate ramp up too fast. Also, the low speed compression is a bit light, but it's part of the charm.

Bottom Line:
I thought it was redundant to post a review on this fork, but I just broke mine. It's not the forks fault, yours truly simply screwed up. Cracked the stanchions, bent the crown and brake arch, but at least it didn't come unglued on the trail.

The good news is that Marzocchi stepped up to the plate and hooked me up with a left-over 99 Atom Bomb at a post-nuclear wasteland price. Sometimes, being a nice guy and telling the truth really pays off.

Excellent product, excellent service, excellent everything. That's Marzocchi.

Favorite Trail:   the ones pointing down

Similar Products Used:   There are no similar products, there's just Marzocchi, and all the other stuff.

Bike Setup:   98 Rocky Mountain Element Race with a few alterations.

Submitted by al from college station, tx

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2000

Strengths:    One word sums it up--Awesome. Plush, adjustable, indestructable, virtually no maintainence, very stiff laterally, can get on closeout for under $300. Buy one!

Weaknesses:    A tad heavier than other serious x-country forks, but hey--the best way to save weight is to take it off your gut.

Bottom Line:
It absolutely rocks. Put it on, tune it to your liking, and forget about it for a year or two. The best feel, the best tuneablility, the best reliability.