Marzocchi Z.2 Atom Sport 01 Front Shock

4.75/5 (4 Reviews)
Weight : 4.0lbs <br>[incl. Easton steertube]

80mm travel // Open Bath SSV Valves // Coil Springs or Lo-pressure Air // Cryofit Boltless Crown - NEW Polished MAG Powerwrap M-Arch 30mm stanchions // External Preload & Rebound Control 30mm A70 Aluminum Stanchions // OEM Fork Only

Submitted by K2footsrgn a Cross Country Rider from Alliance

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2003

Strengths:    Sturdy. Air allows you endless adjustment possibilities. At 4lbs it is lighter than coil shocks. Very responsive.

Weaknesses:    Leaked some oil from where the fork attaches to the brake arch. I removed the brake bolts since I run disc brakes up front, and I just realized that these bolts hold the fork together. Oops, I guess its my falt.

Bottom Line:
I just switched this from the Marz comp 2003 to this fork which i got from ebay and I love it. I feel like i have a lot more control on fast technical decents. The fork doesn't sag as much as the comp with coil springs did. It's not the lightest fork, but then again, Im looking for strength and reliability. I like how I can add air with the use of my normal bike pump rather than buying a special pump.

Favorite Trail:   Vultures Knob

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Rock shox jett - good for 150 lbs riders on the road.
Marzocchi 2003 comp - good fork if your under 180lbs (i'm too lazy to switch springs)

Bike Setup:   K2 Hardtail, disc up front, race face cranks blah blah blah

Submitted by Jonesy a Weekend Warrior from Lancaster, England

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2002

Strengths:    confidence inspiring!

Weaknesses:    stickers don't like the water...

Bottom Line:
Kids, I don't know what I was thinking - being convinced of the Rock Shox argument. Admitedly, I rode a confortable RS Judy for 2 years and had no problems... I thought!?!! Until I rode a Marzocchi. The ride is so much more stable. It never bottoms out and just FEELS like it's steering for you. Let's put it this way - I USED TO STEER AROUND LOGS AND DODGY ROCKS, BUT WITH THIS MARZOCCHI I AM NOW GETTING USED TO RIDING IN A STRAIGHT LINE DOWN A HILL AT SPEED!
Seriously, if you are debating over a RockShox or Marzocchi, go with the Marzocchi every time! I was suprised at the same price, in every range, the Marzo. excelled everytime. I noticed that Rockshox all had plastic external nuts and bolts. Marzo. inspires confidence with healthy light weight metal staring back atcha!
My mate has always been a better downhiller, but for the first time I was able to keep up with him. It's increased my own ability without increasing in skill. THAT, my friends is a sign of a quality product!

Purchased At:   Merlin Cycle

Bike Setup:   Coyote HT3, XT

Submitted by Gaz a Cross Country Rider from England

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2002

Strengths:    After initial stiction they are super smooth. Excellent build quality. Little maintainence needed and bags of tuneability

Weaknesses:    rebound adjuster has fallen out once but soon orted it with tape

Bottom Line:
Smooth, tunable, hassel free kick ass fork that will never let you down. Well it hasnt let me down yet after ride 20 hr per week min in wet british weather. Its also an excellent fork for those who arnt to bothered about minimising weight but at 3.8lb is nbot stupid.