Marzocchi XC51 Front Shock

3.79/5 (14 Reviews)

Marzocchi XC51

Submitted by Nick a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2002

Strengths:    No stiction, plush, reliable after rebuild

Weaknesses:    There are cracks in the crown, only 50mm, no rebound damping

Bottom Line:
This for is very, very old. It worrks much better than any of the cheap crap you can get today. If you need an extremely cheap fork for city use or recreational trail riding, i would still reccomend this fork.

Bike Setup:   XC51 replaced with Z1 ;)

Submitted by Versun Jetericks a Cross Country Rider from Reno, NV

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2000

Strengths:    Durability.

Weaknesses:    Rebounds with the same force that compresses it. It's impossible to find anyone that can service it and Marzzochi can't help you. Really small air reservior that is hard to fill to the righ preassure.

Bottom Line:
I've ridden probably 6000 off road miles on the XC 400 and it's never been serviced. It leaked oil for the last year and used up all it's travel over even the smallest of bumps. The XC 400 has a very small air reservoir that can be difficult to fill. When I got the preassure right I'd leave it alone. This fork has been through so much hell and still survived that I'll give it high marks on that alone. I mean how many people can say they have a fork on their bike from 1992 that still actually "absorbs shock". Not many. This fork will hang on my wall now as a testment to all the miles I've ridden and all the joy I've had with it. I'll miss it.

Similar Products Used:   98 SID and 98 Z3 Bam.

Bike Setup:   It's hanging on my wall now so my single speed has a Z3 on it now.

Submitted by Dan K a Cross Country Rider from Monterey, CA

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2000

Strengths:    These forks are extremely reliable and have very little stiction. These old, entry-level, shortish-travel forks smoke many middle-end forks on the market today. Ideal for a cross-country rider on a budget.

Weaknesses:    The fork's only weakness is low torsional rigidity. They're not exactly wet noodles, but take it easy over tree roots.

Bottom Line:
So, Air/Oil forks require a lot of maintenance, right? WRONG. I have been hammering on these XC51's for over 6 years - from SoCal ski slopes to East Coat mud, from NorCal trails to gritty rides in Turkey, Spain, and France. I have never rebuilt them, or even replaced the oil (which probably has the consistency of mud by now!) In six long years, I've only pressed up the air pressure twice, and the forks have always performed without the slightest fault. GREAT VALUE.

Favorite Trail:   Ortega Highway

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   RS Mag 21, Marzocchi Z1

Submitted by Jory MacKay a weekend warrior from Victoria

Date Reviewed: December 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

I just got some XC400s and they're pretty cool anyways I don't have any problem with them except I wish that they came with covers for the scock but I guess that's easy enough to get

Submitted by Anony Mous a weekend warrior from Victoria B.C. Canada

Date Reviewed: November 24, 1998

Bottom Line:

Hi I have a Kona Fire Mountain with Marzocchi XC400. I am very pleased with their performance. I really like Marzocchi's and think that they are the best shocks out.

Submitted by Dan a cross-country rider from Vancouver,BC

Date Reviewed: August 7, 1998

Bottom Line:

XC-51A nice smooth fork with no problems. Beats any elastomer any day.
Very good for small bumps and excellent for the big ones. Did not like many of the other forks of the time. Well worth the money. If you can find a used pair of these, and even reconditioned, go for it. The prices of these are so low, you wonder why anyone bothers with the new stuff. You may want to invest in a pumping tool. Normal schraeder valve pumps are very difficult to use with this.
Definately the my best investment in a long time.

Submitted by mike from cross-country rider

Date Reviewed: July 15, 1997

Bottom Line:

They leak and are a pain to fix.

Submitted by Carlos E. Larralde a racer from CARACAS, VENEZUELA

Date Reviewed: March 21, 1997

Bottom Line:

FEELS GOOD, BUT LEAKS VERY OFTEN.

Submitted by Tony v.d Zanden a cross-country rider from Tilburg, Holland

Date Reviewed: February 18, 1997

Bottom Line:

I have many problem with my fork that it,s leaking

Submitted by Ross Luzzader a cross-country rider from Utah

Date Reviewed: December 10, 1996

Bottom Line:

This has been a great shock for me. I have tried many others, but this is the one I like. It is good for the cost.

Submitted by Dan Irby a cross-country rider from Syracuse NY

Date Reviewed: June 15, 1996

Bottom Line:

you can make your marzocchi XC400 shock much more plush by removing the
compensation piston as well as reducing the oil level by 10 mm and also reducing the pressure to 50 psi.
I have had great luck with this fork after doing the above modifications

Submitted by Dan Irby a cross-country rider from Syracuse NY

Date Reviewed: June 13, 1996

Bottom Line:

I have been using the marzocchi XC 400 suspension for the past two years and
have dramatically improved its plushness by: a) completely removing the
compensating piston b) using automatic transmission fluid (ATF)
in the fork c) adding air to less than the recommended pressure (50 psi)
and d) reducing stiction by lightly coating the stanchion tubes with ATF (of
course boot covers are then required).
With these modifications I've experienced no seal problems at all and the fork
performs about the same as a dialed in MAG 21.

Submitted by Dave a weekend warrior from SF

Date Reviewed: June 7, 1996

Bottom Line:

model: XC500

I have never had anything but good performance from the xc500. It is amazing ove anything medium to big, and not too bad over small stuff if you back off the preload. I have not touched anything but the air level, in two years. It is still very plush and stiction free. Bulletproof.

Submitted by Amittai Dekel a downhiller from Beer-Seva, Israel

Date Reviewed: April 12, 1996

Bottom Line:

This is my first front-suspension-bicycle and I like it a lot.
I have a hard time finding information on this fork (can have some help).
It is a air-oil action and I can't get the tool to pump it up.
Trek has a tool that is good for me but it's impossible to get it over here.

If you can help me with more information please e-mail me, to: dkl@shani.net.il

Marzocchi xc51 rebuild

I blew out my Marzocchi xc51 shocks on my last ride. Oil and dirt were all gunked up and they collapsed with 2 miles left on the trail. I have had them for years as you would expect. Where can I find a kit for these old shocks? I have looked but am not finding anything. I guess I will need to ... Read More »