Marzocchi DH3 Front Shock

4.52/5 (42 Reviews)

Marzocchi DH3

Submitted by Patryk a Weekend Warrior from Bremerhaven

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2006

Strengths:    Light, kind of rigid, if you choose thin oil and springs it works like crazy on small bumps :)

Weaknesses:    Not that strong but who cares

Bottom Line:
I have used two DH§ the first one with the not reinforced crwon and than the model after that with better metal adjustment system. i have like them very much very nice forks unfortunately both are gone i always am looking to buy one just to have it at home :) use now a DJ2 2005 year ride on!forca italia!

Purchased At:   local bike shop and internet

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi XC600

Bike Setup:   Unfortunately both forks have been stolen

Submitted by DorTheHun a Weekend Warrior from South Florida

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2002

Strengths:    Price (at the time), weight. Very easy to tune with different air/oil pressures.

Weaknesses:    The adjustment knobs do absolutely nothing. Not the easiest to disassemble.

Bottom Line:
I am writing this review as I am getting ready to slap some cash down for an X-Fly. At the time I bought the DH-3, it rode better than any RS or Manitou within twice the price I paid for it. I still feel that my DH-3 is plusher than many (affordable) forks out there. (Actually, my friend bought a GT Idrive-3, which came with some sort of RS (2001 model), and the thing rode like a pogostick. After riding my 4 year old DH-3, he bought a Marzocchi Z3 himself).
I have one fork leg set up with high oil level and almost no pressure. This leg is used to prevent the fork from bottoming out. The other fork leg is set up with low oil level and decent pressure. This leg makes the fork extremely responsive on the small bumps. The setup has been working well for over two years, just now I am starting to notice some oil seeping out on one of the legs. This is after 4 years of service, with three oil changes and original seals.
One thing that always bothered me about the fork was that the adjustment knobs did not affect the damping. At a standstill, there is a difference between the min and max setting, but in practice, it's useless. Also, the fork is not the stiffest thing out there.
Anyhow, I think that the DH-3 is one of the best aging forks out there. While Manitou and RS were playing around with high-tech elastomers (that disintegrated within a few months after installation), Marzocchi was frowned upon for using 'outdated' air-oil technology. Well, they are still at it today, and now everyone else is following. So in summary, my DH-3 rocks.

Favorite Trail:   Hard Rock

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Answer Pro Forx (lousy spring/elastomer pogostick)

Bike Setup:   Mrazek hardtail with mix of XT/XTR.

Submitted by Sebastian a Weekend Warrior from Buenos Aires, Argentina

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2001

Strengths:    It's so plush and smooth
It's not as weak as i expected
it's incredibly adjustable
Strong and light (very much light than a Judy XC)

Weaknesses:    Oil and air seals
Color (mine was green, nnow is in an awesome black matte)

Bottom Line:
I know i paid it too much, but it is a good price here in argentina, forks are way expensive (an sr suntour ulr is 300 dollars...)

I don't believe that this fork was make in 1996, it's incredibly pluch and smooth, even with air!!

I'm going to do the spring thing in about a month, and here says that with springs it's more smooth!

I guess that its travel it's short for DH, but i use it in XC and a little of FR, and its 77 mm are great.. if you have the correct iol height and air pressure, you'll never bottom out it!

Should buy this fork everyone that want an all purpose fork, and has a budget that doesn't allow you to buy the new marzocchi's.

Shouldn't buy it a Dhiller!

So, what else... if you still can get ones, don't doubt it
You'll never be disappointed!!!

Marzocchi rules!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Trilha dos macacos, Brasil

Purchased At:   bike store

Similar Products Used:   Still none

Bike Setup:   Vairo XR500 chromoly, Alivio-Deore, Rigida Explorer and Zac 2000 rims, amoeba handlebar, tranzX stem, ritchey logix ahead set, and of course, the Marzocchi DH3

Submitted by Juha a Downhiller from Finland

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2000

Strengths:    Back in the days it offered more travel than the others.

Weaknesses:    Flex that looks and feels scary. Sticky feel.

Bottom Line:
It was in 1995, when I retired from competitive downhilling and the DH3 was one of the reasons to do that. The flexy Specialized with the sticky and flexy DH3 was so bad a combination that I completely lost my appetite for DH racing. Actually I remember that the sideways flex was almost as big as the rear wheel travel in the FSR and in general the flex of the DH3 exceeded the claimed 77 mm. (I suppose the travel should be up and down the sliders.)

I free-ride a Trek VRX 400 with Bomber Z1 CR now and I'm happy the days of DH3:s are over.

Similar Products Used:   ancient air forks, Judy DH, Bombers Z2, Z1, Z1 CR

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR

Submitted by Jonny a Weekend Warrior from Aus

Date Reviewed: November 22, 1999

Strengths:
Soooo Sooo Smooth
Retro DH look
Colours
Can use like a PACE fork if you wish
Cheap (if you can find one)

Weaknesses:
Flex, not as bad as alot of other forx, but its still there

Bottom Line:
These forx are amazing for their time, I cant believe they were mad in 1995! The springs turn these forks into a fork better than a z2! If you can get your hands on a pair, go for it and don't look back. What I mean by using them like a PACE fork is tuning the lowers about so the brakes are on the front, feels pretty freaky but looks way different. I have a red anodized fork and the finnish is top notch, I got the forx second had and not a scratch was on them, which just goes to show the quallity of the fork. The forks travel is a smooth as silk with the spring upgrade and I leave the air empty as I'm only 68 kg. The oil is left to ramp up the travel, If you are heavier use a slight amout of air. A pressure of about 20 makes the fork just about rigid.The seals in this fork are quite good, I've read reports of them blowing but to this I say get the springs put in as it will take the pressure created by the air off the seals.By the way I also have xc 400's, these are good forks but nothing compaired to the sweetness of the DH3. I would recommend this fork to any one who likes to have fun on their bike. This fork would not look outa place on an XC bike or a freeride bike or even a to and from work bike.Well I think I have wrote enough, so what are you waiting for? Go find and buy this fork!!!
It get 10 chillies if i could give it.

less than 1 month

Rock Shox DH, XC, SL (crap!)
RST 261,161,461 (also crap)

Gt hardtail
DH3 (with spring)

Submitted by Ricardo Santos a Weekend Warrior from Porto,Portugal

Date Reviewed: October 29, 1999

Strengths:
Stiff, smooth,leightweight

Weaknesses:
deals less well with fast and reapeted bumps

Bottom Line:
Like no other product of its kind!It's smooth as butter, very stiff, lots of ajustments.Works well on small, medium and big bumps but it lacks a little more travel for those demanding DH trails.

serra d'arga

2 Years

marzocchi bomber z1
manitou spider r

full suspendend john luck with rst-53 rear shock

Submitted by dave boulder a Cross-Country Rider from yorkshire, england

Date Reviewed: October 2, 1999

Strengths:
we use it on a tandem with a combined rider weight of 23 stones, thats about 330ibs. apart from the obvious flex due to increased weight it has performed faultlessly. upgraded to hard springs 18mths ago which made a great improvement. we run it with a hope 185mm disc using hopes bracket for the caliper. it attaches through the holes on the lower fork leg. very professional bit of kit, recommend it highly

Weaknesses:
the only one is the flex but thats not so bad considering its strengths far outweigh this

Bottom Line:
superb for the money. if you can still get hold of a pair and don't mind being behind the times (by all of 2 or 3 years) buy some.

DEATH VALLEY

2 Years

early rockshox, noleen chubby lt dual crowns on a solo bike

steel framed tandem thats also as flexible as the fork. makes for interesting riding. imagine building a bicycle out of liquorice...

Submitted by André Alves a Downhiller from Guimaraes-Portugal

Date Reviewed: September 29, 1999

Strengths:
Very good on cross country. Lightweight.

Weaknesses:
Short travel to go Down-Hilling

Bottom Line:
It´s a great suspension fork with good perfomances, nice on every kind of terrain, and easy to do self maintenance. Easy to set up to diferente kinds of riding!!! I loved it!

Penha DH

1 Year

rock shox Judy DH
manitou spider

Sunn xchox (1996)

Submitted by Phil Bowman a Cross-Country Rider from York, PA

Date Reviewed: July 23, 1999

Strengths:
Smooth travel with springs. Very reliable.
Great customer service.

Weaknesses:
Somewhat flexy.

Bottom Line:
If you have not put springs in this fork do it. I believe that it is the best three inch travel fork ever when it has springs. The air assist with springs makes it feel even better than a Z2. I could still cry and whine because I sold mine for a Z1 BAM. I like my Z1, but I would like to have my DH3 back for a different bike. Anyone want to sell me a DH3?

Whitetail Ski Area

more than 3 years

All Rockshox, Manitou, and K2 XC forks

Bianchi SuperIbex w/cane creek AD-8

Submitted by dado a weekend warrior from Slovenia

Date Reviewed: December 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

I had Z2 before, but they stole my bike and I bought new one with DH3 on. I didn't like the air sprig working.It's only good for big bumps and it dive and bounce too much under pedaling when standing. Then I switched to coil springs, and the thing began to work much better. With this change the tavel was reduced by small amount, because the fork gain on progresivnes, and it's hard to bottom it. I run no air in it and it fits me well. You can run it even with negative travel. Just push the fork in, and release the pressure. It is not like bomber performer (dampening), but close. Still very stiff, reliable, excellent for XC racing, and cheap.

Submitted by Clint Sellen a weekend warrior from Aussie-Land y'all

Date Reviewed: November 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

My friend had these forks, and I thought they were pretty good. However, they would be ten times better if the dumbass would put springs in 'em. Unfortunately, before he got the chance, his bike was stolen, so I guess I never got the chance to try 'em like that. Some people say they approach bomber performance. Since he got his bike stolen I've been too lazy to get on and ride my bike, and I think I'm starting to like guys. Especially ones in those oh-so-tight bike pants. Anyway, five flamin' hot male strippers, minus one because it's outdated (air spring) technology gives.......................

Submitted by Pyro a weekend warrior from AUSTRALIA

Date Reviewed: November 20, 1998

Bottom Line:

WORD TO YALL. DIS IS A BOMBASS FORK. SOME OF MY HOMIES SAYS THEIR OLD FORKS, BUT I TELLS IM DAT DIS FORK KICKS BOOTY. THESE FORKS ARE GOOD ON MY GANGSTA BIKE, I HAVE A HYDRAULIC MUSIC SYSTEM ON MY BIKE SO IT COMPRESSES THE FORKS WHEN DA BASS BEATS KICK IN

Submitted by Mikko Mellin a weekend warrior from Finland

Date Reviewed: September 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have had it now 1 month,and i have had bad luck with it!
The puzzle is that the sliders are able to move little a bit in the lowers.
If someone has had same problem with DH3,i would like to know how to solve
this problem!Because when im driving,the KLONK KLONK noise makes me wanna kill myself,But the smoothnes and progression is good.

Submitted by Peter Pan a downhiller from Adelaide-Australia

Date Reviewed: September 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

Hi, I'm a bit of a loser I bought a second hand diamondback cromo hardtail frame that came with thrashed out xt and a single frount chain ring with a bullet bros chain device. It also came with dh3's that is about the only thing that still works.I'm a gug and can't be bothered using my fork pump so i pump them up at the servo, I've already blown the seals on the forks twice already and had to pay $40+ to get them rebuilt.

Submitted by john a downhiller from SOUTH AUSTRALIA

Date Reviewed: May 26, 1998

Bottom Line:

500$ YA SEE ITS CHEAP FUNKY & COMES IN RED . I TACKED THIS BASTARD ON TO MY HARDTAIL AND HAVE PROCEEDED TO THRASH IT FOR ABOUT 8 MONTHS. STILL WORKS FINE MORE STICTION THAN WHEN IT COME OUT OF THE BOX BUT SO WHAT. SO IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING BUYING AN 80mm JUDY, DONT GET THIS BABY. ALSO DOING THE XC THING IS POSSIBLE IF TAKE OUT THE SPRINGS AND BEEF UP THE AIR PRESSURE. THIS DOES COME AT THE COST OF DH COMFORT. SO IF YOU OWN RS INDYS SUCK S#@T!

Marzocchi DH3

I'm getting my old bike back on the trails after a number of years off. I need to service my forks - Marzocchi DH3. Any idea what pressure I should run? I weigh 70Kg and always had a heavy violent style. Any further advice? JohnRead More »

coyote dh3 any good??

Hi I am new to downhill and was offered a coyote dh3 for about £300. i was just wondering weather they were any good?Read More »

WB DH3 Twist...

Hi guys, new to this board and its one of the better ones out there. Anyhow, i have a 2002 white brothers dh3 and the top crown is not parallel to the handlebar. The stem and bar are dead straight but the top crown seems a little twisted. Is there a fix for this? Thanx in advance.Read More »

Experience with a White Bros DH3?

I've got a chance to get a really good deal on a DH3. Has anyone used one? Would anyone be kind enough to give me feedback on it? Please don't bother doing the 'it sux' thing.. if it wasn't good..tell me why.. Thanks in advance..Read More »