Marzocchi Bomber Z5 Front Shock

4.32/5 (127 Reviews)

Marzocchi Bomber Z5

Submitted by J Shizzle a Cross Country Rider from Nor Cal

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2006

Strengths:    longevity, strength

Weaknesses:    Fickle to adjust psi, pretty heavy

Bottom Line:
Great low-end shock. My buddy tried to down hill w/ it and blew the seals. He gave it to me and I got new seals from Marzocchi free, rebuilt it w/ diagrams from the net, and rode if for three years XC problem/maintenance free! Can't beat that. But I finally blew another seal.. can't seem to find the free-seals deal like the old days. Is Marzocchi still cool like that? Anyone know what I should do?

Favorite Trail:   Rockville baby!

Purchased At:   friend gave it to me

Similar Products Used:   nothin'

Bike Setup:   Raleigh M50 (USA Built)frame, bontrager race lite parts, mavic wheels, avid brakes, race face rings, shimano XT.

Submitted by Forrest Aley a Downhiller from Paonia,CO,USA

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2006

Strengths:    cant think of one

Weaknesses:    to start it creaks like mad and scratches really easy,i've personaly not snaped it but talked to countless peaps who have i have bottomed it out so many times its scary anyway i just ordered a jr t hopefuly it will serfice.

Bottom Line:
dont get one its to sketch unless your a beginner and just want to cruse

Favorite Trail:   ridge of doom

Purchased At:   came with the bike

Similar Products Used:   jr. t , judy lol uh dunno

Bike Setup:   kona stinky 01 with jr. t and fox vanilla 5

Submitted by Billy a Weekend Warrior from Athens

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2005

Strengths:    For 80mm of travel its pretty tough. Buttery smooth. nice and stiff. reliable

Weaknesses:    air valves seized on me after 2 and a half years of use. stuff like that wears out though no biggie

Bottom Line:
Ive dropped off a 5 foot berm with this fork and , quite frankly, was surprised it wasnt bleeding fork lube all over the place. Its been used agressivly in sub zero temps in the appalachians and has never been serviced other then the valve replacements. its been nothing but good to me. If you find one lightly used it'll probably be cheep by now so go for it. good for any (non racer) xc rider

Purchased At:   The Hub Bikes

Similar Products Used:   rock shox judy tt. if that even compares

Bike Setup:   really not that important but its an xc bike

Submitted by Derek from Quesnel, BC Canada

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2005

Strengths:    Strong, all round good fork. Used for beginner DH and freeride.

Weaknesses:    Can't think of any

Bottom Line:
Very good fork, real plush. Had no problems with it until 4 years later when it started leaking oil. Changed seals, internals and wipers and its good as new.

Purchased At:   McBike Shop

Similar Products Used:   RST 381, rock shox psylo

Bike Setup:   04 Norco Torrent, mavic 721 rims, xt rear derailler, truvativ cranks, bar, stem, pedals, and chainguide, etc.....

Submitted by Gip a Weekend Warrior from Auckland, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2004

Strengths:    plush, strong, takes an absolute hiding and comes out smelling like roses.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This is for a 2001 z5. The shock lasts. simple as that. I've been riding on it for 18 months, and in that time had some serious stacks, never cos of the shock. I've had a few hiccups landing front wheel first, and this shock has saved me every time. Front wheel has been absolutely ruined, frame has been snapped in half, fork still going strong. I'll definitely be putting it on my new frame.

Favorite Trail:   Fattucine

Similar Products Used:   RS Judy XC

Bike Setup:   Kona Kuku with XT all over, Sid Air rear shock.

Submitted by Rick a Downhiller from Calgary Canada

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2004

Strengths:    This fork is quite strong and super plush for the amount of travel. It has done me well so far and havent had any problems with it so far.`

Weaknesses:    This fork is super soft and bottoms out very easily.

Bottom Line:
This a good fork that is very plush but bottoms out really easily. I have had it for a while and it hasn't caused me any trouble yet.

Purchased At:   Used

Submitted by into riding from castlegar , B.C. Canada

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2003

Strengths:    good strong shock. 5 inches of nice cushy suspension. Not recomended for bigger than 10 foot drops.

Weaknesses:    havent seen any. Maybe not the best shocks for droping.

Bottom Line:
well ive only been using em for 1 and a half days but ive allready done a 10 foot drop to dirt trany and man dident bottom em out was REALLY! close though. Im looking to get a bigger front shock because with the stuff im hiting these just dont cut it. I guess thats because they are ment for aggresive XC normal XC and Down hill but hey you could call drops and dirt jumps down hill. i Think though with me waying 135 punds i need stronger and bigger so hey get em if you just starting and arent gona go crazy like me and do 10 foot drops on firrst day of biking.

Purchased At:   bought used came with bike

Similar Products Used:   none first mountain bike

Bike Setup:   2001 Norco vps buzz stock. Well new pedals and some other stuff like that nothing bigg though.Bought used im 3 owner.

Submitted by John B. from Geneva, Ohio, U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2003

Strengths:    Strong, 130mm travel, Price, looks sweet and great performance.

Weaknesses:    Flexes out a little when brakes are applied, but not bad and no lock out.

Bottom Line:
I love this fork,

It's cheap, 130mm travel, disc and v-brake compatible, it looks awesome and with a couple seconds with an allen wrench you can go from road riding to freeriding!

I have landed 7' freerides with this fork, it has all ways felt secure and I plan on going bigger!

If your looking for a cheap fork that is pretty much good for anything you can throw at it, this is the fork for you.

5 Flamin'Chilis for this sweet'n sleek ride!!

Favorite Trail:   My secret trails that you'll never see! HAHAHA!!

Purchased At:   Came with bike.

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Psylo race 02', Rock Shox Duke SL 02' and Manitou Black Elite.

Bike Setup:   Better then yours, HA HA HA!! (;

Submitted by Fred a Weekend Warrior from Montreal, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2003

Strengths:    Plush... Good looking.

Weaknesses:    scary crash horror stories, heavy, lack of adjustment, Hard to get contact marzocchi (Customer Care).

Bottom Line:
I've been quite satisfied with this fork so far but started to ride more aggressivly since last year and all the big crash horror storys scares me a lot.

I started small drops (3-4 feet) and bottom the fork all the time... I'm afraid everything snap broke someday and I break my face.

I'm trying to get more info on the Marzocchi replacement program but didn't have any luck so far... I've tried contacting Marzocchi Customer Care, Marzocchi USA, Norco Product (Canadian distributors of Marz products) and no reply yet...

If anyone have ANY details about how their replacement program works, please email me... I'd like to know what kind of discount they offer, how does the process works etc.

Thanks!

Favorite Trail:   Bromont

Similar Products Used:   JUDY SL

Bike Setup:   01 Kona Caldera, AVID Disk, all XT.

Submitted by CrAzY rIdA from dOwNtOwN n.C.

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2003

Strengths:    None!

Weaknesses:    took damn brake brosses like like u should be able to and took one run down damn trail and friggin seals and everythin popped up killed my $80 seasons past and not even one run dan walkin down creaks like u mumma went a$$ over teapot when it broke P.O.S.

Bottom Line:
Sucks

Purchased At:   Came on Caldera

Similar Products Used:   Psylo Beauty and Puttin Shiver SC on FR bike in porrcess of buildin plucsh awsome buy one

Bike Setup:   Nice a$$ caldera nothin is stock

Submitted by Paul Burbidge a Cross Country Rider from Kentville, Nova Scotia, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2003

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    Snap in half and break your face

Bottom Line:
Mine snapped in half after a year's use. Got a nice concussion for my trouble. The forks worked well (except for the creaking) up until their destruction. Marz sent me a DJ3 which I've since traded for an MX with ETA (awesome cross fork). If I owned on and rode it hard I'd take advantage of the trade program that marzocchi's offerring so I could trust my rig again.

Favorite Trail:   most

Purchased At:   came on stinky

Similar Products Used:   Bunches

Submitted by Recall a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2003

Strengths:    If you have misused or abused your forks, or if you have landed improperly in the past, Marzocchi will upgrade your Z3, Z3.5 or Z5 forks to new model year 2003 DJI or DJIII forks at a discounted price, regardless of whether your forks show any signs of fatigue, damage, impacts, cracking, creaking, leaking, etc. Contact Marzocchi or see your nearest authorized Marzocchi retailer for additional information.

Weaknesses:    Mine are creaking like crazy so I contacted Marz about their replacement program. DJ 3 on it's way.

Bottom Line:
These forks have been good to me, but have pretty well been creaking after the first week of riding on them. I've seen so many break it's not funny. Very happy that Marz has dumped their cryofit for one piece lowers and have offer to replace them at a reduced cost.

IMHO they should be recalling these forks and replacing them for free.

Submitted by chewy wookie a Weekend Warrior from geelong, vic, australia

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2003

Strengths:    THIS IS THE 01 Z.5 130mm COIL FORK. ive only used it for 4 months but its 2 yrs old now, nice feeling travel, 5 inches, havnt snapped. they go up down up down...... theyve survived some nasty crashes, front wheel into the back side of a double at highspeed etc

Weaknesses:    creak worse than ur mummys bed, standered 9mm QR. flexxy, dont track well, dont feel very confidence inspiring at high speed over rough stuff (could just be me)

Bottom Line:
they havnt snapped yet like a lot ive heard about. ive done lots of 6 - 8 ft drops to tranny and 4ft to flat, and im a fair hack rider so there getting a ass whooping. they creak a absolute sh*te load but so does every other marz fork...
if ur a good rider i dont think ud have too many troubles wit these forks, as long as ur not doing any thing above 10ft drops and ur a smooth as hell rider they should be ok, maybe, if they dont come on yer bike then dont go near them but. a ride till u break it fork or sell it off quick b4 u wreck it

Favorite Trail:   somewhere

Purchased At:   some random

Bike Setup:   2001 stinky

Submitted by Rajis Kataria a Racer from Santa Rosa

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2003

Strengths:    Great for climbs, reliable, low maintenance, not too expensive and looks great

Weaknesses:    slightly heavy but can't complain considering the price I paid

Bottom Line:
Great entry level air fork. Can't go wrong.

Favorite Trail:   Annadel, Santa Rosa, CA